News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Richmond to Charlotte

Started by Takumi, January 31, 2018, 10:18:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takumi

Took my longest solo road trip thus far yesterday, to Charlotte to see Lana Del Rey in concert. I decided the extra distance and construction on I-85 was preferable to dealing with DC traffic. The route was pretty simple, since it's a straight shot down 85 until you get to Charlotte itself, but I detoured down 85 Business on the way there for a clinch. In town I got off 85 at 77, then took 277 to Uptown. The only new routes I drove were 85 Business and NC 49.
Some notes:

-85 has a long construction segment, from the VA/NC line to the US 1 split at Henderson, that's one lane in each direction. Not too bad, just a bit annoying, particularly at night.
-This same segment, at least northbound, still has some button copy signage. One of the signs for Manson Road, for example.
-85 between I-73 and Charlotte is the most heavily patrolled freeway I have ever seen. And given where I live, that's saying something. In one particular half-mile segment around Kannapolis, there were four state troopers. Even 85 Business had more than I was expecting.
-85 Business reminds me of a very long version of the ubiquitous US route bypasses, like 460 or 29 in Virginia. Narrow median, weird interchange geometry, etc. I am aware that it basically started off as one of those.
-NCDOT seems to be minimizing visibility of 85 Business from mainline 85, relegating it to a couple of smallish ground-mounted green signs at the north and south ends of the route. It's more visible at each end of the silent overlap, though.
-The short segment I drove of what will eventually be I-285 was better than the rest of 85 Business, but still seemed a bit substandard, and some of it looked like there wasn't much room to improve it.
-There was another construction zone on 85 in Rowan and Cabarrus counties. Two lanes each way. Not as annoying as the section at the other end of the state.
-I-77 also has some construction going on, between mile markers 11 and 37. IIRC these are either HOV or HOT lanes being built. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
-I'm pleased to see Sheetz has proliferated on the I-85 corridor in North Carolina. Looks like they stretch from Henderson to Salisbury. Could be room for one on the corridor in Virginia as well.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

froggie

Quote-NCDOT seems to be minimizing visibility of 85 Business from mainline 85, relegating it to a couple of smallish ground-mounted green signs at the north and south ends of the route. It's more visible at each end of the silent overlap, though.

Related to the final construction of the Greensboro loop (I-840), the 85 Business designation through Greensboro will be removed entirely.  US 29 and US 70 will remain on the freeway.

webny99

Quote from: Takumi on January 31, 2018, 10:18:49 AM
I decided the extra distance and construction on I-85 was preferable to dealing with DC traffic.

Under what circumstances or on what route would you have encountered DC traffic?  :hmmm:

Mapmikey

Quote from: webny99 on January 31, 2018, 11:52:10 AM
I decided the extra distance and construction on I-85 was preferable to dealing with DC traffic.

Under what circumstances or on what route would you have encountered DC traffic?  :hmmm:

Presumably by going to see that artist in DC instead...?

Takumi

Quote from: Mapmikey on January 31, 2018, 12:10:20 PM

Yep. Lack of sleep caused me to leave that little detail out.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

webny99

Quote from: Takumi on January 31, 2018, 12:15:53 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on January 31, 2018, 12:10:20 PM

Yep. Lack of sleep caused me to leave that little detail out.

No worries... lack of contextual knowledge on my part  :spin:

Takumi

Quote from: froggie on January 31, 2018, 11:06:16 AM
Quote-NCDOT seems to be minimizing visibility of 85 Business from mainline 85, relegating it to a couple of smallish ground-mounted green signs at the north and south ends of the route. It's more visible at each end of the silent overlap, though.

Related to the final construction of the Greensboro loop (I-840), the 85 Business designation through Greensboro will be removed entirely.  US 29 and US 70 will remain on the freeway.
It was like that at the Lexington end as well. I wouldn't be surprised if it was removed entirely at some point.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

froggie

I don't see why it couldn't, given that south of Greensboro is completely concurrent with US 29 and US 70.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.