News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Matté

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on February 13, 2015, 04:33:42 PM
I believe that it common that the article "the" precedes the "I".

Not in Jersey.

TXtoNJ

From what I could tell, the number by itself was the most common way of saying it, unless the number had fewer than three syllables. So, 295, 206, 130, 78, 76 etc, but Route 30, Route 80, Route 1, etc.

SteveG1988

Quote from: TXtoNJ on February 14, 2015, 01:04:35 AM
From what I could tell, the number by itself was the most common way of saying it, unless the number had fewer than three syllables. So, 295, 206, 130, 78, 76 etc, but Route 30, Route 80, Route 1, etc.

You're fairly spot on. I'm from South Jersey and it was Route 70, 295,537,etc. Sometimes White Horse and Black Horse Pike.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

jeffandnicole

Saw the turnpike sign yesterday, then the sign on 295 today. Of the various messages I've seen posted, I've never seen an orchestrated effort on speed limits being strictly enforced!  FWIW, I didn't see any cops on my rides along these roads.

Zeffy

^ Add 195 to that list as well. Came up from Trenton using 195 today and saw a VMS with the exact same message.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

roadman65

Sometimes they just say it into thinking that it will scare people. 

The former OOCEA in Florida used to use scare tactics to get people to slow down to 25 mph through E Pass Lanes by saying if you speed through the ET lanes, you will get your E Pass privileges revoked.  This was when I first got my E Pass, I took that literally and slowed down to 25 mph until after a month or two when I noticed that I was tailgated constantly for a good long while. 

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NJRoadfan

They were up on US-22 last night too.

DeaconG

Quote from: roadman65 on February 14, 2015, 01:29:34 PM
Sometimes they just say it into thinking that it will scare people. 

The former OOCEA in Florida used to use scare tactics to get people to slow down to 25 mph through E Pass Lanes by saying if you speed through the ET lanes, you will get your E Pass privileges revoked.  This was when I first got my E Pass, I took that literally and slowed down to 25 mph until after a month or two when I noticed that I was tailgated constantly for a good long while. 

Heard that rumor about the SunPass lanes too; if you speed through them (gantry, not booth) you would automatically get a ticket.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

storm2k

Saw the "Speed Limit Strictly Enforced" VMS messages on 287 today on all the VMS's. Didn't see any cops though.

J Route Z

It may be time for their quota.

Alps

Quote from: storm2k on February 14, 2015, 10:13:57 PM
Saw the "Speed Limit Strictly Enforced" VMS messages on 287 today on all the VMS's. Didn't see any cops though.
They're all over VMS in the entire state. I laughed when I came off the GWB and saw it. Did my usual 72-75 from there down I-80 and NJ 21 with no issues. I think they just wanted to put something up for some reason. They don't get that if the VMS are always lit, they lose effectiveness. The going thinking is that "if the public sees a blank VMS, they'll think we wasted their tax dollars."

slorydn1

The State Police probably had a bunch of overtime accumulated with all the crappy weather recently and needed to give a bunch of guys some time off, so what better way to do that by scaring the heck out of many unwitting motorists by posting that all over the state on VMS?

Many out-of-towners will slow down when they see that message while they look out for the hordes of troopers that are really non-existent so mission accomplished.

What they do around here when they have that issue is they will hide an empty patrol car in the trees on the center medians leading in to town and that seems to work like a champ.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

jeffandnicole

An unusual warning put out to truckers in NJ this weekend due to the possibility of high winds.

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/about/press/2015/021315a.shtm

The point was stressed a bit further down that while truckers across the country normally deal with high winds, truckers that stay local to New Jersey and the surrounding area generally don't deal with high winds that often.

bzakharin

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure we do use the I prefix sometimes here. Route 80 doesn't sound right to me at all. The other ones are optional like you said, but even those have an I prefixed to them sometimes.

TXtoNJ

Quote from: bzakharin on February 16, 2015, 05:18:59 PM
I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure we do use the I prefix sometimes here. Route 80 doesn't sound right to me at all. The other ones are optional like you said, but even those have an I prefixed to them sometimes.

I distinctly remember "Route 80" being common, because it was so jarring to me, coming from Texas (where everything is "Highway so-and-so" unless it's an interstate).

Zeffy

I don't think so. If it isn't "Route XX" it's just XX.

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Alps

No one uses I in North Jersey.

storm2k

Quote from: Alps on February 16, 2015, 06:15:37 PM
No one uses I in North Jersey.

Even NJDOT uses "Route" in all of their documentation, announcements, STIP, etc.

SteveG1988

Prior to 1991 there was talk of replacing the burlington bristol bridge, and making it I-x95, would you consider the future 95 interchange to basically serve the same purpose, except not connecting to I-295.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Zeffy

Wait, was it similar to the I-895 proposal seen in the 1977 map?

SteveG1988

Quote from: Zeffy on February 17, 2015, 10:12:30 PM
Wait, was it similar to the I-895 proposal seen in the 1977 map?

Yes, i forgot what x95 it was to be.
Roads Clinched

Zeffy

Broken traffic signals in Trenton cause a guessing game for drivers

QuoteTRENTON – At the intersection of Calhoun and Spring Streets in Trenton it has become a guessing game for drivers since the traffic light guiding the flow of traffic went out over a week ago.

Some drivers slow to a stop, flashing their high beams or waving on cars looking to cross the intersection, while others speed through, causing what residents are calling a dangerous situation.

Quote"I saw two accidents since the one that caused it," said Rafael Rodriguez, who works behind the counter in the store. He said people don't know what to do when they reach the broken light.

The city's traffic department has placed stop signs at the intersection on Spring Street, but there are no signs on Calhoun Street.

QuoteFoushee expects the light at Calhoun and Spring Street to be repaired in the next few days.

There are five other intersections in the city where the traffic lights are functional but require repairs. There have been numerous reports of other traffic lights not functioning properly, including on Tuesday and Wednesday at the intersection of Bridge and Centre Streets. City spokesman Michael Walker said that light had been repaired Wednesday afternoon.

Walker added that the city is responsible for 96 traffic signals, while 30 are the responsibility of the state or county.

So, when a traffic light goes out and the crews are unable to fix it, the solution is to just install stop signs? That seems half-assed. I know we're talking about Trenton here, but I'd think that at least during the day a single police officer could guide traffic. At night, well...wandering in Trenton at night isn't the best idea in the first place.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Zeffy on February 19, 2015, 09:50:00 AM
Broken traffic signals in Trenton cause a guessing game for drivers

QuoteTRENTON – At the intersection of Calhoun and Spring Streets in Trenton it has become a guessing game for drivers since the traffic light guiding the flow of traffic went out over a week ago.

Some drivers slow to a stop, flashing their high beams or waving on cars looking to cross the intersection, while others speed through, causing what residents are calling a dangerous situation.

Quote"I saw two accidents since the one that caused it," said Rafael Rodriguez, who works behind the counter in the store. He said people don't know what to do when they reach the broken light.

The city's traffic department has placed stop signs at the intersection on Spring Street, but there are no signs on Calhoun Street.

QuoteFoushee expects the light at Calhoun and Spring Street to be repaired in the next few days.

There are five other intersections in the city where the traffic lights are functional but require repairs. There have been numerous reports of other traffic lights not functioning properly, including on Tuesday and Wednesday at the intersection of Bridge and Centre Streets. City spokesman Michael Walker said that light had been repaired Wednesday afternoon.

Walker added that the city is responsible for 96 traffic signals, while 30 are the responsibility of the state or county.

So, when a traffic light goes out and the crews are unable to fix it, the solution is to just install stop signs? That seems half-assed. I know we're talking about Trenton here, but I'd think that at least during the day a single police officer could guide traffic. At night, well...wandering in Trenton at night isn't the best idea in the first place.

The intersection in question is a minor intersection with little side street traffic.  Putting a cop there is pretty useless. 

Normally when a traffic light goes out, it should be treated as a 4 way stop.  While putting the stop signs up is a good idea for Spring St., those on Calhoun won't know that, and that probably contributes to the accidents.

Trenton isn't all that great in being prompt with their signal issues.  Outside my office building there's a traffic light with a burned out red bulb.  Been that way most of the month.  1 - 2 weeks is pretty typical of the time needed to replace a light bulb in this town. 

Zeffy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 19, 2015, 10:03:57 AM
The intersection in question is a minor intersection with little side street traffic.  Putting a cop there is pretty useless.   

True, but Calhoun Street isn't exactly a minor street, what with a bridge to Morrisville and all that. The traffic on Calhoun that I've seen has been fairly decent, and I imagine it's because of the bridge (who wants to pay a toll on US 1?) into Pennsylvania.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Zeffy on February 19, 2015, 10:09:40 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 19, 2015, 10:03:57 AM

True, but Calhoun Street isn't exactly a minor street, what with a bridge to Morrisville and all that. The traffic on Calhoun that I've seen has been fairly decent, and I imagine it's because of the bridge (who wants to pay a toll on US 1?) into Pennsylvania.

While I'll say it's reasonably busy at rush hour, except for the State Street/Calhoun Street intersection, I can generally pull up on any side street to Calhoun and I could easily pull out onto Calhoun during a red light if I wanted to.

I've seen other street lights out (or on flash) during rush hour at busier intersections, and traffic gets thru just fine.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.