News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New Jersey Turnpike

Started by hotdogPi, December 22, 2013, 09:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Quote from: EricJV95 on January 08, 2014, 07:00:13 PM
Does anybody have pics of the NEW EXIT 8 on the N.J. Turnpike along with new signage ?
No pics but the Exit 8 BGS' now include NJ 133 shields. 

BGS' read:

EXIT 8
33  133
Hightstown
Freehold
GPS does NOT equal GOD

J Route Z

I am curious if they will replace all of the existing the old bridge decks, and install the ones which have grooves in the pavement and make a high pitched noise when driving over them like this: http://goo.gl/maps/tTVXm  ... though if you notice northbound, it is different pavement. Also, the cars only lanes between exit 13 and 13A have newer bridge decks seen here (around 2006 or so): http://goo.gl/maps/eO6eo  However, the cars, trucks and buses lanes have the older bridge decks: http://goo.gl/maps/bAmOT

I think I have found the answer here: http://www.state.nj.us/turnpike/documents/Contracts-Anticipated-Advertisements-11-2013___10-2014.pdf

D-Dey65

Quote from: SignBridge on December 28, 2013, 08:37:33 PMAnd while we're off-topic I also gotta comment that those NYSDOT engineers must have been smoking something when they numbered those Sagtikos and Southern State Parkway exits. Ya' really hafta wonder when NYSDOT is going to get its act together and number exits on Long Island according to the MUTCD.
Those numbers weren't decided by NYSDOT. They were decided by the Long Island State Park Commission.

Quote from: SignBridge on December 28, 2013, 08:37:33 PM
And now back to the NJ Turnpike.
Yes, let's do that. I still think the entire turnpike should be no less than six lanes.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NJRoadfan

That sign might be there to keep motorists who got off at Turnpike "Exit 1" from being confused since they can't get back on southbound where they got off. Hard to imagine, but not everyone realizes the NJ Turnpike ends right there at I-295 and the interchange is fairly complex. Anyone notice the brand new state name interstate shield on the sign across the road?

Also the same ramp in the opposite direction doesn't even mention I-295, just CR-551 South. Talk about confusing. Helpful if you happen to be following 551, but I'd like to think that is the minority of drivers in that area.

Also that isn't the only sign like that: http://goo.gl/maps/77gaX

jeffandnicole

Quote from: NJRoadfan on February 15, 2014, 03:13:20 PM
Also the same ramp in the opposite direction doesn't even mention I-295, just CR-551 South. Talk about confusing. Helpful if you happen to be following 551, but I'd like to think that is the minority of drivers in that area.

Here's that 551 you're referring to: http://goo.gl/maps/80I4O

I almost think this sign is placed there in error, and should be on the opposite side of the roadway.  At this gore point ( http://goo.gl/maps/80I4O ) where the I-295, 200 Feet (yes, in yellow) sign is located is the ramp exclusively to 551.

roadman65

That sign might be there to keep motorists who got off at Turnpike "Exit 1" from being confused since they can't get back on southbound where they got off. Hard to imagine, but not everyone realizes the NJ Turnpike ends right there at I-295 and the interchange is fairly complex. Anyone notice the brand new state name interstate shield on the sign across the road?

Also that isn't the only sign like that: http://goo.gl/maps/77gaX
Yeah, I imagine so as many people get off at Exit 1 for Gas, Food, and Lodging and forget they're at the point the NJT ends, so it would be confusing to someone not a road geek or not familiar with the area.

Yeah that CR 551 sign is lacking I-295 shields and Delaware Bridge signage, and makes it look like its exclusively for CR 551 South.  Maybe it was made for the across a street ramp that is only for Hook Road and CR 551 and placed there by accident.

Then there is the erroneous NJ 40 shield at the NJT SB ramp from US 40.  There the sign is for NJT SB as well, but it is the Turnpike up to NJ 49.

Sheryl Crowe

Zeffy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 15, 2014, 03:59:19 PM

Here's that 551 you're referring to: http://goo.gl/maps/80I4O

I almost think this sign is placed there in error, and should be on the opposite side of the roadway.  At this gore point ( http://goo.gl/maps/80I4O ) where the I-295, 200 Feet (yes, in yellow) sign is located is the ramp exclusively to 551.

This could probably be easily be rectified by the following assembly...
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

NE2

It's not 'to 551'; the routes overlap.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

jeffandnicole

There is a more proper sign prior to the ramp, as one approaches the ramp: http://goo.gl/maps/AR0qN.  It further leads me to believe the proper sign at the gore point went missing, and the resulting current sign was meant for the opposing ramp.

roadman65

If I-95 was originally routed along the entire length of the NJ Turnpike as it should have been, none of this would have been needed.

Also the above link Jeff has an erroneous "TO I-295" instead of a "SOUTH I-295" as it is for it directly.  Somebody did not care and just erected the right signs in the wrong spots. Most likely the one who posted the mileage sign on US 9 NB at CR 526 in Lakeland did that job.

Sheryl Crowe

J Route Z

This should be reported to NJDOT, since Route 140 is a state highway. This is actually a major navigational issue.

Give this form a shot http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/commuter/potholeform.shtm

(You're email is not required. A simple dash will suffice if you don't want to give it out, or you can make one up!)

Also, the "contact us" section. That you will need your email if you want a legit response.

Alps

Quote from: J Route Z on February 17, 2014, 10:34:47 PM
This should be reported to NJDOT, since Route 140 is a state highway. This is actually a major navigational issue.

Give this form a shot http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/commuter/potholeform.shtm

(You're email is not required. A simple dash will suffice if you don't want to give it out, or you can make one up!)

Also, the "contact us" section. That you will need your email if you want a legit response.
Recommend not pointing out any sign errors, only omitted signs. I like US 140.

cpzilliacus

[I wish journalists would learn that rest areas are not the same thing as commercialized service plazas that are usually only found on toll roads in the United States.]

Press of Atlantic City: New Jersey taps rest areas in bid for more revenue from toll roads

QuoteOver the years, New Jersey's three toll roads have turned to billboards, corporate sponsorships and other creative ways to generate more revenue without hitting motorists with another fare increase.

QuoteNow, the state Legislature is looking to wring more money out of the Atlantic City Expressway, Garden State Parkway and New Jersey Turnpike by tapping their rest stops and service plazas for transportation funding.

QuoteA bill making its way through the Statehouse directs the toll roads to develop plans for more commercial, business or retail ventures at the rest areas. They have 12 months to submit their ideas to the governor and Legislature once the bill becomes final.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Alps

Quote from: cpzilliacus on February 18, 2014, 01:32:14 PM
[I wish journalists would learn that rest areas are not the same thing as commercialized service plazas that are usually only found on toll roads in the United States.]

(The general public refers to them as such - my family called them "rest areas" for long enough that I still refer to them as such.)
(This is also a great idea - maybe some businesses actually worth stopping for can populate them.)

roadman65

In Florida they're referred to as Plazas.   

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

They are offically known as Service Areas on the NJ Turnpike, but nearly the entire universe will call them rest areas.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Alps on February 18, 2014, 09:24:13 PM

(The general public refers to them as such - my family called them "rest areas" for long enough
that I still refer to them as such.)

I concede that point.

(This is also a great idea - maybe some businesses actually worth stopping for can populate them.)

Agreed. 

IMO, Delaware, Maryland and Ohio have taken steps in that direction at their reconstructed service plazas.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: cpzilliacus on February 19, 2014, 09:40:24 AM

(The general public refers to them as such - my family called them "rest areas" for long enough
that I still refer to them as such.)

I concede that point.

Agreed. 

IMO, Delaware, Maryland and Ohio have taken steps in that direction at their reconstructed service plazas.

What non-travel-related businesses belong there?

Brandon

(The general public refers to them as such - my family called them "rest areas" for long enough that I still refer to them as such.)

Agreed that it is a great idea, but I've never heard the general public call a toll toad service area a "rest area".  Most around Chicago call them "oases" (what the ISTHA calls them), and they're most certainly called "service areas" in northern Indiana.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

jeffandnicole

It was amazingly frequent (a few times a month, and I only worked weekends) someone would utilize Interchange 3 of the NJ Turnpike, and they would be surprised it wasn't a rest area.  They would even tell me the signs said the exit was a rest area. Depending on how snarky they were with me, I would tell them that the NJ Turnpike doesn't have Rest Areas, we have Service Areas, so it was impossible to see a sign that said Rest Area.  They didn't care.  (They would also tell me the signs said there was a McDonalds, which don't exist on the NJ Turnpike.)  I could never figure out what signs they were referring to, unless they horribly misread the lodging sign for hotels at Exit 3.

Alps

Quote from: Brandon on February 19, 2014, 01:20:25 PM

Agreed that it is a great idea, but I've never heard the general public call a toll toad service area a "rest area".  Most around Chicago call them "oases" (what the ISTHA calls them), and they're most certainly called "service areas" in northern Indiana.
"Oasis" is the Illinois term. My general public is NJ-centric.

NJRoadfan

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 19, 2014, 02:11:40 PM
It was amazingly frequent (a few times a month, and I only worked weekends) someone would utilize Interchange 3 of the NJ Turnpike, and they would be surprised it wasn't a rest area.  They would even tell me the signs said the exit was a rest area.

Did any of them have a GPS unit? Many modern units will show services at the next upcoming exit on a split screen with the map. Since NJ-73 has a ton of fast food joints, it likely popped up with a ton of options compared to other exits.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Brandon on February 19, 2014, 01:20:25 PM

I lived in New Jersey a lot of years, and both there and here, "rest area" is pretty common vernacular.  I've heard "Vince Lombardi Rest Stop" more than once in NJ

I don't think many people devote a whole lot of thought to the appropriate terms for a place to pull off on the highway.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: NJRoadfan on February 19, 2014, 06:34:51 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 19, 2014, 02:11:40 PM
It was amazingly frequent (a few times a month, and I only worked weekends) someone would utilize Interchange 3 of the NJ Turnpike, and they would be surprised it wasn't a rest area.  They would even tell me the signs said the exit was a rest area.

Did any of them have a GPS unit? Many modern units will show services at the next upcoming exit on a split screen with the map. Since NJ-73 has a ton of fast food joints, it likely popped up with a ton of options compared to other exits.

This was back in 2001 - 2004, so most people didn't have GPSs.  It was more around the MapQuest era, which could provide me with a few toll stories on its own.  This was also at Interchange 3, and interestingly enough, most people were travelling north.  A few were coming south though, which would mean they past the Service Area just 3 miles prior to the exit.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.