This is true? - Geographic oddities that defy conventional wisdom

Started by The Nature Boy, November 28, 2015, 10:07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

vdeane

That particular episode seems to be a plug for the third "season" of the creator's podcast Extremities, which itself could qualify for this thread, given its focus on people living in geographically remote places.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

bing101

In this video there is an explanation on how Google Maps are different varying on country borders.

bing101

CNGL-Leudimin

Due to Earth not being a perfect sphere, even if the 49th Parallel segment of the USA/Canada border was exactly at 49°N it wouldn't still be a perfect straight line. In fact a straight line from the Lake of the Woods to the Strait of Georgia drifts North of the border, reaching up to 100 km into Canada halfway along it near Maple Creek, Saskatchewan.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

US 89

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on December 28, 2019, 06:06:12 AM
Due to Earth not being a perfect sphere, even if the 49th Parallel segment of the USA/Canada border was exactly at 49°N it wouldn't still be a perfect straight line. In fact a straight line from the Lake of the Woods to the Strait of Georgia drifts North of the border, reaching up to 100 km into Canada halfway along it near Maple Creek, Saskatchewan.

A perfectly straight line between those two points would be completely underground.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on December 28, 2019, 06:06:12 AM

This is not due to the Earth not being a perfect sphere. The line you speak of would still go north in the same way you describe even if the Earth were the mathematically ideal sphere.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Terry

The 49th parallel should be many short chords that intersect 49 degrees N. However, with the best survey methods available at the time, the border monuments wander to the north and south of 49. Here's a chart from the Degree Confluence Project that show more of the extreme survey monument cairns that deviate from the 49th. The furthest north is around the Abbotsford, B.C. airport (monuments 4 & 5) while the southernmost point is monument 347, east of Coutts, Alberta.

http://confluence.org/country.php?id=3

Story on the history of the border: https://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/11/28/a-not-so-straight-story/ or https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:SklK_wN5lCgJ:https://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/11/28/a-not-so-straight-story/+&cd=30&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca&mtrref=www.google.ca&assetType=REGIWALL&mtrref=webcache.googleusercontent.com&assetType=REGIWALL&mtrref=webcache.googleusercontent.com&assetType=REGIWALL&mtrref=webcache.googleusercontent.com&gwh=E0A0097D36F8C8BC2A6F9CEAEDF5A264&gwt=pay&assetType=REGIWALL

CNGL-Leudimin

Taiwan is a real-life Alanland in that is and is not China at the same time. The official name of the country commonly known as "Taiwan" is Republic of China, thus making it part of China, but at the same time it is not de facto part of the country commonly known as "China", i.e. the People's Republic of China.

Then there are the Jinmen or Kinmen islands, which are neither China nor Taiwan. They are not part of the PRC (thus not "China") but of the RoC, which doesn't consider them part of Taiwan either but a separate Fujian province. So there are actually two Fujian provinces: The PRC one and the RoC one.
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on December 28, 2019, 05:20:07 PM
This is not due to the Earth not being a perfect sphere. The line you speak of would still go north in the same way you describe even if the Earth were the mathematically ideal sphere.

I stand corrected. It is due to Earth's own shape, not due to it not being a perfect sphere.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Scott5114

The above is not really true–for pretty much all intents and purposes, Taiwan is an independent country. Whether you recognize it as such depends on whether you feel the need to kiss the PRC's ass or not.

The government in residence on Taiwan is the same government that ruled China before the PRC was established. When the PRC took over, they lost de facto control over mainland China and only were able to keep control over Taiwan. But they still claimed de jure control over all of China, and were part of the UN under the name "China" (representing mainland China as well) for decades after the PRC was established. This was due to the West not wanting to recognize the Communist PRC regime, until finally everyone bowed to reality and admitted the PRC as the government of China.

Meanwhile, the PRC asserts that they also control Taiwan, even though it is de facto controlled by the Republic of China. But if anyone implies Taiwan is not part of the PRC, they throw a tantrum, because the PRC government is run by babies.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

empirestate

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on January 05, 2020, 06:12:35 AM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on December 28, 2019, 05:20:07 PM

I stand corrected. It is due to Earth's own shape, not due to it not being a perfect sphere.

Right, it's due to the 49th parallel not being a great circle (the equator is the only parallel that is), nor a rhumb line (a line of constant bearing, which describes a helical sort of shape on the Earth's surface but a straight line on mariners' charts).

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 05, 2020, 02:02:50 PM
The above is not really true–for pretty much all intents and purposes, Taiwan is an independent country. Whether you recognize it as such depends on whether you feel the need to kiss the PRC's ass or not.

The government in residence on Taiwan is the same government that ruled China before the PRC was established. When the PRC took over, they lost de facto control over mainland China and only were able to keep control over Taiwan. But they still claimed de jure control over all of China, and were part of the UN under the name "China" (representing mainland China as well) for decades after the PRC was established. This was due to the West not wanting to recognize the Communist PRC regime, until finally everyone bowed to reality and admitted the PRC as the government of China.

Meanwhile, the PRC asserts that they also control Taiwan, even though it is de facto controlled by the Republic of China. But if anyone implies Taiwan is not part of the PRC, they throw a tantrum, because the PRC government is run by babies.
It's a LOOOOOOONG story.
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

CNGL-Leudimin

This:
Quote from: kphoger on January 04, 2020, 05:03:12 PM
Quote from: Jbte on January 04, 2020, 12:08:05 PM
South by car;
Playa Zipolite, Oaxaca, Mexico
15°39'42.1"N 96°30'28.3"W

At first, I was surprised you hadn't been to the Cañón del Sumidero, Tuxtla Gtz, or San Cristóbal.  But then I realized I was forgetting how far south the coastline of Oaxaca sweeps.  And Zipolite is about as far south along there as you can get–at the same latitude as Pijijiapan, Chis.

-------------------------------
Meanwhile, the PRC asserts that they also control Taiwan, even though it is de facto controlled by the Republic of China.

Not entirely true. "China" (the PRC) admits they don't control Taiwan, and as such they don't maintain a symbolic Taiwan provincial government. They even have dropped the G99 expressway from their plans, which called for a ring around Taiwan, much like G98 around Hainan. But of course this doesn't mean they have renounced their claim.

vdeane

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on January 25, 2020, 07:25:11 AM
This:
Quote from: kphoger on January 04, 2020, 05:03:12 PM
Quote from: Jbte on January 04, 2020, 12:08:05 PM
South by car;
Playa Zipolite, Oaxaca, Mexico
15°39'42.1"N 96°30'28.3"W

At first, I was surprised you hadn't been to the Cañón del Sumidero, Tuxtla Gtz, or San Cristóbal.  But then I realized I was forgetting how far south the coastline of Oaxaca sweeps.  And Zipolite is about as far south along there as you can get–at the same latitude as Pijijiapan, Chis.

-------------------------------
Meanwhile, the PRC asserts that they also control Taiwan, even though it is de facto controlled by the Republic of China.

Not entirely true. "China" (the PRC) admits they don't control Taiwan, and as such they don't maintain a symbolic Taiwan provincial government. They even have dropped the G99 expressway from their plans, which called for a ring around Taiwan, much like G98 around Hainan. But of course this doesn't mean they have renounced their claim.
And yet they still force companies to apologise for making shirts with China that don't include Taiwan.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

chays

I found this interesting. The northernmost point of Brazil is closer to every other country in the Americas, than it is the southernmost point of Brazil.

empirestate

hotdogPi

Quote from: empirestate on October 22, 2020, 03:34:10 PM
*cough*Denmark*cough*

I'm not sure whether to place Greenland in North America or not. While it's close to Canada, it's also not that far from Iceland. We can't use the metric of whatever is closest, as that would actually put Iceland in North America, as Iceland—Faroe Islands is longer than Iceland—Greenland.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Scott5114

empirestate

Quote from: 1 on October 22, 2020, 03:43:12 PM
Quote from: empirestate on October 22, 2020, 03:34:10 PM
*cough*Denmark*cough*

I'm not sure whether to place Greenland in North America or not. While it's close to Canada, it's also not that far from Iceland. We can't use the metric of whatever is closest, as that would actually put Iceland in North America, as Iceland—Faroe Islands is longer than Iceland—Greenland.

Sure, tectonically and so forth, Greenland's associated with the North American continent; Iceland is actually on the plate boundary, hence its relatively active geology. In any case, to the extent that any insular area can be considered part of a continent, well...if Bermuda is in the Americas, then Greenland most certainly is.

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 22, 2020, 03:46:05 PM
Greenland isn't a country.

Depends who you ask (see also England, Scotland and so forth). Denmark, however, unquestionably is.

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

CNGL-Leudimin

However Brazil borders French Guiana, which (as its name suggests) is also part of France, and a full department of that country, unlike St. Pierre and Miquelon (which is a territorial overseas community).

As a matter of fact, I used to think French Guiana was an independent country until I saw it on an inset in a map of France. I was surprised by that.

kphoger

Yep, Brazil's northernmost point is closer to France than it is to Peru.

Greenland is geologically part of North America but culturally part of Europe.  It sharing a tectonic plate with Canada is really the only reason we don't call it its own continent, as we do Australia.

Doesn't matter whether it's its own country or part of Denmark.  Either way, it's farther away than Brazil's southernmost point.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Takumi

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on October 22, 2020, 04:13:36 PM
However Brazil borders French Guiana, which (as its name suggests) is also part of France, and a full department of that country, unlike St. Pierre and Miquelon (which is a territorial overseas community).

As a matter of fact, I used to think French Guiana was an independent country until I saw it on an inset in a map of France. I was surprised by that.
In that case, Brazil is also closer to the Netherlands (via Aruba and Curaçao) than to the likes of Panama.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on October 22, 2020, 06:45:25 PM

Doesn't matter whether it's its own country or part of Denmark.  Either way, it's farther away than Brazil's southernmost point.

I'm being pedantic. The map is titled "Brazil's northernmost point is closer to every country in the Americas than to Brazil's southernmost point." Greenland isn't a country. It is a territory of Denmark. Denmark is a country in Europe, not a country in the Americas. So the wording on the map is technically correct, the best kind of correct.

Mostly unrelated, I was kind of surprised recently to find out that Copenhagen is on an island.

CNGL-Leudimin

I've just found by measuring in Google Maps that Hamlin, Maine is closer to Spain than to Lompoc, California (by 30 miles or so). Now that is something.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.