News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

This is true? - Geographic oddities that defy conventional wisdom

Started by The Nature Boy, November 28, 2015, 10:07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

I just figured out myself that slightly over 60% of current US routes enter the former Confederacy. I did not include West Virginia, as it split off.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

thspfc

Quote from: 1 on October 23, 2020, 08:17:56 AM
I just figured out myself that slightly over 60% of current US routes enter the former Confederacy. I did not include West Virginia, as it split off.
Give it a week and the L.A. Times is going to see this post and call for the decomissioning of all those US routes.

webny99

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 22, 2020, 11:40:35 PM
Mostly unrelated, I was kind of surprised recently to find out that Copenhagen is on an island.

Being a geography nerd, I found that out a long time ago now, but it's one of those things that people might go their entire life without knowing and I wouldn't really blame them. As a point of comparison, there's probably plenty of people in Europe that don't know Montreal is on an island. Then again, there's probably plenty of people in the US that don't know that, either!

kphoger

I'm being pedantic. The map is titled "Brazil's northernmost point is closer to every country in the Americas than to Brazil's southernmost point." Greenland isn't a country. It is a territory of Denmark. Denmark is a country in Europe, not a country in the Americas. So the wording on the map is technically correct, the best kind of correct.

And see, I was looking at it this way:  Denmark is a country that exists on two continents.  I was considering Greenland to be just as much a part of Denmark (because it's not its own country) as French Guiana is of France.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

empirestate

I'm being pedantic. The map is titled "Brazil's northernmost point is closer to every country in the Americas than to Brazil's southernmost point." Greenland isn't a country. It is a territory of Denmark. Denmark is a country in Europe, not a country in the Americas. So the wording on the map is technically correct, the best kind of correct.

We're all being pedantic, that's the whole fun of it. :-)

But if some of the territory of the country of Denmark is in the Americas, then Denmark is a country in the Americas. It certainly wouldn't be the first example of a multi-continental country in the world, nor even in this thread.

There is a good argument to be made that Greenland is not a constituent part of Denmark in the way that French overseas departments are constituent parts of France, or that the constituent countries of the Kingdom of the Netherlands are constituent countries of the Kingdom of the Netherlands, but...

Quote from: kphoger on October 23, 2020, 01:50:36 PM
And see, I was looking at it this way:  Denmark is a country that exists on two continents.  I was considering Greenland to be just as much a part of Denmark (because it's not its own country) as French Guiana is of France.

...there is also a good argument to be made (and many have made it) that, constituent or not, Greenland is indeed its own country, albeit one not totally independent of another sovereignty. Again, this certainly wouldn't be the first example of a non-sovereign country in the world–nor even in this thread. So even if Denmark doesn't qualify, Greenland might!

qguy

Quote from: empirestate on October 23, 2020, 05:05:43 PM
We're all being pedantic, that's the whole fun of it. :-)

This has got to be the comment of the decade. It's the entire forum in a nutshell!  :thumbsup:

kphoger

there is also a good argument to be made (and many have made it) that, constituent or not, Greenland is indeed its own country, albeit one not totally independent of another sovereignty.

I'm curious to know if you would consider French Guiana to be "its own country".
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Desert Man

Quote from: kphoger on October 26, 2020, 10:40:52 AM
there is also a good argument to be made (and many have made it) that, constituent or not, Greenland is indeed its own country, albeit one not totally independent of another sovereignty.

I believe French Guiana is the last European colony on a continent, it is officially part of the French Republic. They are part of so-called Latin America, since French is a Romance language like Spanish and Portuguese...along with Italian, Romanian and Catalan/Valencian among others. Greenland is an island, not a continent like Australia who are a "continent-nation-state".

I'm curious to know if you would consider French Guiana to be "its own country".
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

Scott5114

Quote from: Desert Man on October 26, 2020, 11:24:52 AM
They are part of so-called Latin America, since French is a Romance language like Spanish and Portuguese...along with Italian, Romanian and Catalan/Valencian among others.

Wait, so is Quebec part of Latin America...?

My understanding of Latin America was that it was just the Spanish-speaking parts.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hotdogPi

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 26, 2020, 08:47:50 PM
They are part of so-called Latin America, since French is a Romance language like Spanish and Portuguese...along with Italian, Romanian and Catalan/Valencian among others.

My understanding of Latin America was that it was just the Spanish-speaking parts.

That would exclude Brazil.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Scott5114

I know, but I wasn't sure if "Latin America" was supposed to include Brazil or not.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

TheHighwayMan3561

I'm guessing the average American hears "Latin America"  and thinks of everything from Mexico down to Cape Horn regardless of political, geographical, or ethnic/language considerations.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

NWI_Irish96

Latin America includes all romance languages. Quebec is excluded by virtue of being part of a predominantly English-speaking country.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: cabiness42 on October 27, 2020, 07:21:17 AM

Latin America includes all romance languages. Quebec is excluded by virtue of being part of a predominantly English-speaking country.

But Quebec isn't even close to predominantly English speaking.  Both languages are taught in schools but French definitely is emphasized.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 27, 2020, 08:17:25 AM
Quote from: cabiness42 on October 27, 2020, 07:21:17 AM

But Quebec isn't even close to predominantly English speaking.  Both languages are taught in schools but French definitely is emphasized.

Right but Latin America is a group of countries and territories, not states or provinces, so as a part of Canada, Quebec is excluded.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

kphoger

The term 'Latin America' is not universally defined.  It can mean one of several different things.

Ibero-America is probably what most people think of:  the Spanish- and Portuguese-speaking countries south of the USA.  Thus, it excludes small countries like Haiti and Belize and Suriname, but all the big ones are included.

If you want to include countries that were formerly part of the French empire as well (e.g. Haiti) and not make the US southern border part of the definition, then Quebec still falls outside this definition because Canada is a predominantly English-speaking nation.  In the same way, even through Brownsville (TX) is 85% Spanish-speaking, it wouldn't be part of Latin America either, by virtue of its still being in the USA.

For both of the above two definitions, the Caribbean is a bit of a fuzzy part of the map.  Is Cuba part of Latin America?  Well, probably.  But what about, say, Dominica?  Well, ummmm, errrrr, maybe??
Male pronouns, please.

empirestate

I think that at its most basic, the connotation of the term "Latin America" is really just "those parts of the Americas that are not English-speaking"–and specifically, really, those parts that are not the U.S. or Canada.

I also feel like the term refers implicitly to regions of the Americas that are comparable in geo-political extent to the U.S. and Canada–South America, Central Americas, the Caribbean–and thus, its connotation doesn't get as granular as to include either sub-national parts of those two big countries (so, not states or provinces) or sub-regional parts of the other regions (so, not individual nations in the Caribbean).

And all that because, as stated above, the term isn't really explicitly defined. Its meaning tends to fall apart once you apply it to entities smaller than it's meant to apply to, just as the measurement of a coastline falls apart once you start using a ruler or tape measure to do it. To put it another way, "Latin America" means whatever you have to decide it means, in order to confirm the term to its expected usage. :-)

SP Cook

IMHO, "Latin America" means the Spanish and Portuguese speaking countries and territories to the south of the USA.  It does not include Quebec, nor the remnants of the French colonial system in the Caribbean, nor places that speak languages other than Spanish or Portuguese.  Knitpicky trivia about what a romance language is or what-not is nice, but meaningless.   

kphoger

Quote from: empirestate on October 27, 2020, 01:07:25 PM
I think that at its most basic, the connotation of the term "Latin America" is really just "those parts of the Americas that are not English-speaking"–and specifically, really, those parts that are not the U.S. or Canada.

Quote from: SP Cook on October 27, 2020, 02:45:55 PM
IMHO, "Latin America" means the Spanish and Portuguese speaking countries and territories to the south of the USA.

Yeah, I'm not sure Guyana and Suriname (location of former British and Dutch colonies, Dutch and English and English Creole widely spoken) are part of Latin America by anyone's definition.
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Atlanta is further west than Detroit?
Not sure why, but that seems really weird to me.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on October 28, 2020, 03:41:05 PM

It's because people don't realize how far west the Atlantic coast cuts in.

The tip of the Florida panhandle, for example, is due south of Chicago.
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on October 28, 2020, 03:47:42 PM

All too true. I think of Florida as being due south from here, and perhaps even south-southeast. But no. If I headed due south, I'd venture off into the Atlantic somewhere around Wilmington, NC. I know that, but it will never seem that way in my brain.

empirestate

Quote from: kphoger on October 28, 2020, 11:12:41 AM
Quote from: empirestate on October 27, 2020, 01:07:25 PM

Quote from: SP Cook on October 27, 2020, 02:45:55 PM
IMHO, "Latin America" means the Spanish and Portuguese speaking countries and territories to the south of the USA.

Yeah, I'm not sure Guyana and Suriname (location of former British and Dutch colonies, Dutch and English and English Creole widely spoken) are part of Latin America by anyone's definition.

I am–even in the course of this discussion, I've read some definitions by which they are a part of it. But what's important to my point isn't so much the definition, but rather the connotation of the term. It doesn't seem to be applicable, at least not by intent, on such a small scale that you'd even be called on to decide whether individual countries like the Guianas are included. It describes a large region having certain broad characteristics, and those countries are indisputably physically within that region, even if they may not possess the particular attributes that are characteristic of the region as a whole.

An example of what I mean might be to consider the difference between a "sand beach" and a "rock beach". A sand beach is one composed primarily of sand, even though it might have some rocks on it; and a rock beach unquestionably has more than a few grains of sand. As you move along the coastline, you may well find yourself having clearly left behind one type of beach for the other, but you wouldn't change your description of the area you're standing in just because you found a small pocket of a different material.

GenExpwy

Quote from: webny99 on October 28, 2020, 04:06:51 PM
Quote from: kphoger on October 28, 2020, 03:47:42 PM

All too true. I think of Florida as being due south from here, and perhaps even south-southeast. But no. If I headed due south, I'd venture off into the Atlantic somewhere around Wilmington, NC. I know that, but it will never seem that way in my brain.

Some of that is probably due to the projections used by the maps you look at – at the edges, north—south runs diagonally rather than vertically.

bluecountry

Quote from: Thing 342 on November 29, 2015, 09:56:20 AM
The western tip of Virginia is further west than Toledo, OH.
Because portions of the Aleutian islands extend west of 180W, Alaska is both the northernmost, westernmost, and easternmost state in the US.
Or Detroit.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.