News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Some I-405 OC reconstruction pics

Started by MarkF, September 09, 2019, 01:56:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkF

I took a drive up the 405 today to Westminster, here's some photos from the OC reconstruction zone. 

The Talbert overpass was recently demolished over the northbound lanes:

The Slater overpass reopened a couple of weeks ago. This was the first overpass to be reconstructed:

Here's a close-up showing the theme this stretch will have:

I didn't get a good shot of the theming on the new bridge piers (these are from my dashcam), but you could describe them as looking like rectangular blocks, I guess.

The Bolsa Avenue overpass had half the bridge removed, but the full pier structure remains, the piers had earthquake retrofitting done a couple of decades ago:

I also have ongoing videos of the construction on my Youtube channel, starting in June 2018 prior to most of the work.  (click the Youtube icon under my avatar)

A bonus from the I-5 Orange Crush carpool work from last month, removal of the Main Street carpool exit to allow dual carpool lanes from CA55 to CA57 (taken 8/3/19, exit now totally gone):

Prior to work:

AsphaltPlanet

Crazy they are removing the Main Street off-ramp.  I suppose it makes sense to allow more through capacity, but that road is otherwise so new.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

nexus73

Someone is actually driving a real car meant for real freeways in the last pix.  That is either  1963 or 1964 Cadillac Coupe DeVille. 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

jeffe

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on September 09, 2019, 01:50:45 PM
Crazy they are removing the Main Street off-ramp.  I suppose it makes sense to allow more through capacity, but that road is otherwise so new.

Yeah, the Main Street ramp had lower than expected usage, but higher than average accident rate.  Given that, removing it for the extra HOV lanes really made sense, despite the relatively recent construction date.

theroadwayone

Quote from: nexus73 on September 09, 2019, 06:01:55 PM
Someone is actually driving a real car meant for real freeways in the last pix.  That is either  1963 or 1964 Cadillac Coupe DeVille. 

Rick
That guy deserves a lifetime supply of whiskey.

nexus73

Quote from: theroadwayone on September 18, 2019, 12:45:23 AM
Quote from: nexus73 on September 09, 2019, 06:01:55 PM

Rick
That guy deserves a lifetime supply of whiskey.

If I drank whiskey daily, it would be a very short life time...LOL!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

SeriesE

Also a missed opportunity to upgrade the interchanges along this stretch. Lots of closely spaced loop onramp/offramps.

-------------

They really should consider braiding the CA-22/57 exits with the Main Street onramp. The weaving here causes traffic jams even on Sundays.

skluth

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 15, 2019, 05:35:45 AM
An Indian burial site has been found in the project limits:

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2019-10-10/native-american-burial-site-freeway-construction-project?utm_source=kw&kwp_0=1414467&fbclid=IwAR2bqQu7HC-CwNSK9gtfM2StKwT_AOIsrxkhpRSrGjkHCPNgRZYAMRznTEY

Let's hope they can quickly complete the necessary archaeology studies and Native rituals and move on. I sympathize, but even modern cemeteries get moved.

Plutonic Panda

The Ghostbuster

Is this reconstruction project causing another "Carmageddon" on Interstate 405?

SeriesE

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 18, 2019, 02:01:14 PM

Doesn't seem like it. There are many alternatives to I-405 in the area and the full closures only happened at night so far.

MarkF

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 15, 2019, 05:35:45 AM
An Indian burial site has been found in the project limits:

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2019-10-10/native-american-burial-site-freeway-construction-project?utm_source=kw&kwp_0=1414467&fbclid=IwAR2bqQu7HC-CwNSK9gtfM2StKwT_AOIsrxkhpRSrGjkHCPNgRZYAMRznTEY

I haven't seen any reference to where it was found, but I would assume it would just hold up construction in the immediate area of where they found it.

djsekani

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 18, 2019, 02:01:14 PM

Nope. All travel lanes are being kept open during the duration of the project, with a few overnight weekend closures to demo bridges.

Personally, I'm really looking forward to the extra HOV lane on I-5. The backup in the morning where it merges with the CA-57 HOV lane is ridiculously brutal.

MarkF

I went through the south half of the construction zone (starting from Warner) a few weeks ago, here's some video.  Also shows the completed widening south from Culver to CA 133.
https://youtu.be/6Ybhr5Dzi4k

MarkF

Here's a video from a drive I took through there on July 18, 2020, south from Goldenwest, thumbnail is the Talbert overpass bridgework:
https://youtu.be/M3-duTUpIII

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.