US-412: ARDot scheduling public comment meeting on corridor planning

Started by MikieTimT, May 01, 2019, 12:30:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikieTimT

Quote from: M86 on May 08, 2019, 02:44:25 AM
Quote from: MikieTimT on May 07, 2019, 11:22:38 AM
Quote from: M86 on May 07, 2019, 02:05:53 AM
Quote from: MikieTimT on May 02, 2019, 02:36:49 PM
A mistake that will cost more in the long run as more development north of Siloam Springs proper occurs, which is where any logical bypass would have to run due to terrain constraints to the south.  I wish that the town hall meetings would be livestream/Twitter functionality as well to get more than 2 dozen people at a pop to get feedback from.  They're still stuck in the last century with that mindset, though.
Oh, it will have decades of consequences. They're not going to come back through and build a full bypass of Siloam, after spending all that money to do 412 through the city.

Within Northwest Arkansas and that region, I think this was their biggest f*-up, at least while I lived there. Well, that and maybe when they put in a cable-median barrier on I-49/(probably then I-540) and then ripped it all up very shortly after between Bentonville and Fayetteville because of the much needed interstate expansion.

It's been a wild ride for ArDOT/former AHTD. At least it sounds like they're on track, somewhat. I'll sound like a broken record, but no more "5 lane Arkansas expressways", improve access management and update the antiquated roadway lighting policy (if they haven't already).

What road lighting policy would you be referring to?  I didn't know we had one. :hmmm:

Well, that's the thing, you don't. Are you with ArDOT? AHTD (then) had a policy of not installing roadway lighting on state maintained and Interstates. They left all of that to local agencies.

Not with ARDot, just a frequent user of their products.  I guess I shouldn't use the "we" pronoun.  I agree that they need to have lighting of some sort at entrance and exit ramps regardless of whether they are in metropolitan areas or not.

US71

Quote from: MikieTimT on May 07, 2019, 10:37:37 AM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on May 07, 2019, 02:25:27 AM
US 412 is sufficient at two lanes throughout the state.

I take it across the state to go from Fayetteville to Jonesboro at least twice a year for work.  It is NOT sufficient to be a 2 lane across the state.  I don't necessarily agree that it needs to be 4-lane divided all the way across at this point, but it certainly does all the way to Harrison with all of the NWA to Branson traffic that takes that route in tourist season.  If you pull up Google Maps and try to navigate between Fayetteville and Jonesboro, the 2 fastest growing MSAs in Arkansas, the most direct route by 35 miles is US-412/US-63.  But it takes 34 minutes longer to take the direct route because of the inability to pass trucks along many stretches of the journey due to insufficient passing zones/lanes.  With about 4 more passing lanes up hills/mountains in either direction, between 10 to 15 minutes would be shaved off on the current alignment.  But a new alignment expressway between Huntsville and Harrison would make the current detour down to Conway/Beebe a moot point in and of itself.  And it's my assertion that Alpena AND Harrison should be bypassed to the south, which would shave off another 20 minutes just not having to stop and go through Harrison.

IMO, AHTD/ARDOT  should have made the Huntsville bypass 4-Lanes. It could/should have been done when the road was widened west of there. Traffic on the east side is especially bad because Walmart moved out there.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Brooks

You have obviously never driven the higher-trafficked portions of this route.

Scott5114

Quote from: MikieTimT on May 07, 2019, 10:37:37 AM

I take it across the state to go from Fayetteville to Jonesboro at least twice a year for work.  It is NOT sufficient to be a 2 lane across the state.

You're wasting your time; Avalanchez71 just traipses into random threads about highway projects, declares them to be a "waste of money" despite having no apparent knowledge of the conditions on the ground, and moves on.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

M86

Quote from: MikieTimT on May 08, 2019, 09:08:07 AM
Not with ARDot, just a frequent user of their products.  I guess I shouldn't use the "we" pronoun.  I agree that they need to have lighting of some sort at entrance and exit ramps regardless of whether they are in metropolitan areas or not.

Absolutely. Look to other states. It makes a difference for travelers and their safety, and it's been proven with studies.

MikieTimT

Looks like from the updated documents that posted after the meeting that they are adding and considering adding more passing lanes along US-412 and doing a bunch of intersection and traffic signal timing changes in Harrison, which should help somewhat reduce the travel time.  Also, considering bypassing Alpena and Yellville, which should help quite a bit around school peak times.  Also, looking into adding more 4-5 lane segments, likely in the more populated areas, before 2040.  Nothing about bypassing Siloam Springs, which would be a huge mistake if not addressed before 2040.  No funding identified yet for the west and east segments of AR-612 (US-412 Springdale/Tontitown/Bethel Heights/Sonora bypass).  So, a mix of hope and despair as usual.

US71

Quote from: MikieTimT on May 23, 2019, 11:58:58 PM
Looks like from the updated documents that posted after the meeting that they are adding and considering adding more passing lanes along US-412 and doing a bunch of intersection and traffic signal timing changes in Harrison, which should help somewhat reduce the travel time.  Also, considering bypassing Alpena and Yellville, which should help quite a bit around school peak times.  Also, looking into adding more 4-5 lane segments, likely in the more populated areas, before 2040.  Nothing about bypassing Siloam Springs, which would be a huge mistake if not addressed before 2040.  No funding identified yet for the west and east segments of AR-612 (US-412 Springdale/Tontitown/Bethel Heights/Sonora bypass).  So, a mix of hope and despair as usual.

They've been talking an Alpena bypass for at least 20 years. At least since 412 was created.

Grzrd

Arkansas can't find the money to make significant progress on I-49, I-57 and I-69. So they just completed a study of US 412 that estimates it will cost $2.3 billion for a four-lane buildout:

https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2020/jul/27/transstate-highways-cost-put-at-23-billion/

In terms of priorities, I wonder if it will move ahead of I-69. At any rate, the study seems timed to give North Arkansas voters something to think about in November in regard to the sales tax option.

US71

Quote from: Grzrd on August 11, 2020, 03:12:02 PM
Arkansas can't find the money to make significant progress on I-49, I-57 and I-69. So they just completed a study of US 412 that estimates it will cost $2.3 billion for a four-lane buildout:

https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2020/jul/27/transstate-highways-cost-put-at-23-billion/

In terms of priorities, I wonder if it will move ahead of I-69. At any rate, the study seems timed to give North Arkansas voters something to think about in November in regard to the sales tax option.

They've been talking about 412 for a while. There were some meetings a couple years ago on what they wanted to do and getting feedback. I thought the meetings were a waste of time.

MikieTimT

I'll be driving this from Fayetteville to Jonesboro tomorrow evening for a gig in Jonesboro.  It's a more enjoyable drive, as long as you don't get stuck behind a slowpoke.

Wayward Memphian

Quote from: Grzrd on August 11, 2020, 03:12:02 PM

It should

bugo

Quote from: Brooks on May 08, 2019, 10:59:39 AM
You have obviously never driven the higher-trafficked portions of this route.

If it were a straight, fast 2 lane he might have a bit of a point, but it's a narrow, winding, curvy 2 lane and it needs to be bypassed by a new terrain alignment most of the way across the state. It's ridiculous that you have to go through Conway to get from Fayetteville to Jonesboro.

edwaleni

US-412 issues for me is the RV's, 5th wheels and boat tows. Especially between Harrison and Mountain Home.

From Hardy to Imboden, it's no better than most state highways. Blind curves, poor pitch in places and hidden driveways and school bus stops.

When I-555 opened and US-63 was upgraded to Portia, I thought this might be a good route to take. Now I would rather go by way of Poplar Bluff.

capt.ron

Quote from: M86 on May 08, 2019, 02:44:25 AM
Quote from: MikieTimT on May 07, 2019, 11:22:38 AM
Quote from: M86 on May 07, 2019, 02:05:53 AM
Quote from: MikieTimT on May 02, 2019, 02:36:49 PM
A mistake that will cost more in the long run as more development north of Siloam Springs proper occurs, which is where any logical bypass would have to run due to terrain constraints to the south.  I wish that the town hall meetings would be livestream/Twitter functionality as well to get more than 2 dozen people at a pop to get feedback from.  They're still stuck in the last century with that mindset, though.
Oh, it will have decades of consequences. They're not going to come back through and build a full bypass of Siloam, after spending all that money to do 412 through the city.

Within Northwest Arkansas and that region, I think this was their biggest f*-up, at least while I lived there. Well, that and maybe when they put in a cable-median barrier on I-49/(probably then I-540) and then ripped it all up very shortly after between Bentonville and Fayetteville because of the much needed interstate expansion.

It's been a wild ride for ArDOT/former AHTD. At least it sounds like they're on track, somewhat. I'll sound like a broken record, but no more "5 lane Arkansas expressways", improve access management and update the antiquated roadway lighting policy (if they haven't already).

What road lighting policy would you be referring to?  I didn't know we had one. :hmmm:

Well, that's the thing, you don't. Are you with ArDOT? AHTD (then) had a policy of not installing roadway lighting on state maintained and Interstates. They left all of that to local agencies.
On US 67 (future I-57) they [assuming ARDOT] installed overhead lighting at the new exit (21). It's the only exit on the freeway that I know of that has such lighting. They need to get on the ball and install overhead lighting on all of the more "major" interchanges on that route. (not counting from Sherwood SW to I-40).

MikieTimT

Quote from: edwaleni on September 19, 2020, 09:30:52 PM
US-412 issues for me is the RV's, 5th wheels and boat tows. Especially between Harrison and Mountain Home.

From Hardy to Imboden, it's no better than most state highways. Blind curves, poor pitch in places and hidden driveways and school bus stops.

When I-555 opened and US-63 was upgraded to Portia, I thought this might be a good route to take. Now I would rather go by way of Poplar Bluff.

I just drove it again a couple of days ago from Fayetteville to Jonesboro.  Really the parts that I see the most need for in the short term are about 5 more sets of climb lanes to get around traffic and a bypass of Harrison to the north.  Making both of those things happen would make the already significantly shorter route catch up with the all freeway option that most take.  I guess I'm weird in that I prefer the shorter and more scenic route to the quicker one that everyone else seems to prefer.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.