The Insane 1967 Freeway Plan for Dallas-Fort Worth

Started by kernals12, October 07, 2020, 10:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kernals12

DFW is currently among the top 10 metro areas in the US for freeway lane miles per capita. But planners in 1967 thought even that wasn't enough, and they suggested this. It seems hard to believe they were serious about this. It's like something FritzOwl would draw up

ozarkman417

Thanks for sharing this. Comparing this to a modern map, I can see that some roads ended up as surface boulevards, such as TX-12.

If something like this became closer to passing, I would bet it would go down a similar path as I-485 and the Stone Mtn. Freeway in Atlanta- cancelled as a result of mass protests.

kernals12

Quote from: ozarkman417 on October 07, 2020, 11:31:42 PM
Thanks for sharing this. Comparing this to a modern map, I can see that some roads ended up as surface boulevards, such as TX-12.

If something like this became closer to passing, I would bet it would go down a similar path as I-485 and the Stone Mtn. Freeway in Atlanta- cancelled as a result of mass protests.

There was no way in hell they could afford all that. Although it seems like they could've tried building Jersey Freeways by putting interchanges on arterials.

TXtoNJ

MaxConcrete

Quote from: TXtoNJ on October 08, 2020, 04:27:13 PM
Hit up @MaxConcrete's www.dfwfreeways.com for more info

Here's the link to the quickview of the canceled freeway excerpt, including analysis of how much effort was expended on the canceled freeways.

http://dfwfreeways.com/book/ExCancelations?startOdd=False

There was negligible or minimal effort to build most of the freeways in the 1967 plan which were canceled. The only exception is the downtown Fort Worth freeway loop, which received substantial effort over a long period of time before its cancellation in 2000

http://dfwfreeways.com/book/ExFWDowntownLoop?startOdd=True
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.