News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Outdated sign at US 377 split in Fort Worth

Started by radDFW, November 11, 2020, 02:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoadsByArco

Have a question here... Why is 377 still displayed on this sign (going north) when 377 doesn't go north at all, instead merging with 35W all the way to the mix master, then being concurrent with I-30 until the Camp Bowie interchange? I'm not familiar with the history of 377 signing in Ft Worth. Any answers would be appreciated. if im dumb tell me please

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.7670732,-97.3156565,3a,75y,254.05h,74.47t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sd5qOxhSeNHjhNooWeUjCUg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

motorola870

It is not outdated just bad ramp planning I need to check historical aerials but I believe there were ramps removed years ago due to left exit to Southbound I35W/ US287 / US377 along with a left exit to I35W and US 287 Northbound. The mainlanes of I35W/US287 still use the original bridges from the original freeway from the 1950s. Actually that is valid signage there is no on ramp to I35W southbound from that service road. Historically US377 continued down Belknap to where it kept going into downtown Spur 347 is former US377.

RoadsByArco

Quote from: motorola870 on November 11, 2020, 04:21:20 PM
It is not outdated just bad ramp planning I need to check historical aerials but I believe there were ramps removed years ago due to left exit to Southbound I35W/ US287 / US377 along with a left exit to I35W and US 287 Northbound. The mainlanes of I35W/US287 still use the original bridges from the original freeway from the 1950s. Actually that is valid signage there is no on ramp to I35W southbound from that service road. Historically US377 continued down Belknap to where it kept going into downtown Spur 347 is former US377.
Thank you for clearing that up. I was confused a bit.

bassoon1986

I mean you can follow that sign but it's a lot of twists and turns to get back onto 35W south.

Left at Pharr St underpass
Left onto North Freeway service road (going S)
Left on Gilvin St
Left onto South 35W merge ramp

US 377 South doesn't show up again until the I-20 exit.

iPhone

motorola870

Quote from: bassoon1986 on November 11, 2020, 06:09:51 PM
I mean you can follow that sign but it's a lot of twists and turns to get back onto 35W south.

Left on Gilvin St

iPhone
The entire interchange needs an upgrade. They need to reinstate a direct connection for the free lanes going northbound from traffic exiting downtown along with a ramp from 377 to I 35W South. I am not sure why they did not do it right the first time you would have thought the 60 year old bridges would be replaced with the express lanes project guess not. I would replace the interchange with US377 at SH 121 as well.

-- US 175 --

It doesn't help that most overlaps where US 377 (as well as US 287) is part of a freeway, there isn't generally signage included for it.  There are spotty exceptions, but most sign structures (gantries or posts) mostly represent the interstate (I-35W, as well as I-30) without showing love for the US route that is supposed to have an overlap represented.

I can't imagine the amount of confusion someone new would feel in Fort Worth (as well as other cities where this occurs), trying to follow a route's signed path, only to not find regularly-placed signage.

In_Correct

Those are only a few of many examples about U.S. 377 has been neglected for decades.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

RoadsByArco

Quote from: motorola870 on November 11, 2020, 07:44:08 PM
Quote from: bassoon1986 on November 11, 2020, 06:09:51 PM

Left on Gilvin St

iPhone
The entire interchange needs an upgrade. They need to reinstate a direct connection for the free lanes going northbound from traffic exiting downtown along with a ramp from 377 to I 35W South. I am not sure why they did not do it right the first time you would have thought the 60 year old bridges would be replaced with the express lanes project guess not. I would replace the interchange with US377 at SH 121 as well.
Obviously it does, but I think they're planning to do it with the ultimate upgrade of the 35W express lanes and main lanes. Hopefully construction should start in the next 5-10 years after funding is secured.

yakra

"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.