News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Same control city for two different directions

Started by 2Co5_14, December 20, 2013, 01:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2Co5_14

Here are a couple of examples of locations where the same control cities are shown for two different directions of travel.

I-35 southbound at SH 130, Georgetown, TX:
https://maps.google.com/?ll=30.705124,-97.650889&spn=0.000009,0.005842&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=30.704958,-97.651033&panoid=p5HTHZLDXCPWLfwvXyDS8w&cbp=12,179.8,,0,0
"Just follow the signs to Austin-you can't miss it!" :-D

Intersection of Rt 3A & Rt 14, Duxbury, MA:
https://maps.google.com/?ll=42.048703,-70.691866&spn=0.000002,0.00146&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=42.048703,-70.691866&panoid=hSHC4tGaJlpJutdHV2XJkQ&cbp=12,305.01,,0,-1.54
(It depends whether you want to take the mostly highway route or the scenic route to Boston.)

Are there any other examples of this?

PHLBOS

GPS does NOT equal GOD

CNGL-Leudimin

Sadly it has been replaced, but at this point there was a sign pointing to N-120 to Orense and Monforte in both directions. It is still well known in Spain, though.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

1995hoo

That sign is located at the end of the road as you leave Peggy's Cove: http://goo.gl/maps/xdfy9
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jp the roadgeek

On any beltway you're bound to see more than 2 directions with the same control city.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

wxfree

At the east end of FM 200 in Texas, if you turn right, you go south on FM 1434 toward Cleburne.  If you turn left, you go north on FM 1434 toward Cleburne. 
http://goo.gl/maps/um6zo

To the left isn't Park Rd 21, as Google claims.  FM 1434 ends where PR 21 turns and enters the park.  You can look up the Street View, but the imagery isn't very good.  There's a sign in each direction, but they're hard to see in Street View.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

golden eagle

What about eastbound I-40/southbound I-55 in West Memphis, AR, both having Memphis as a control city when they split off?

Thing 342

Richmond for I-64 when it curves around to its end in Chesapeake.

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

roadman65

I-64 in Chesapeake, VA has both East and West heading to Richmond.  Although signed via EB to I-664 and back on to I-64 WB at Hampton having you do a 180 without a u turn, you can go either way from that point to go there or even St. Louis for that matter.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hobsini2

I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

national highway 1

"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

mrsman

Quote from: hobsini2 on December 23, 2013, 05:12:58 PM
I-39 Northbound just before US 20 in Rockford IL.

https://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=42.212944,-89.011402&spn=0.021995,0.037251&t=h&z=15&vpsrc=6&cbll=42.212777,-89.011416&panoid=C3U-uMONWN1-8yr8rp93JQ&cbp=12,9.44,,0,1.14&ei=xLS4UvyEHZPWgASI_4GYAg&pw=2

This seems like a major fail, in my opinion.  The center of Rockford is clearly closer to US 20 west.  I-39 north/US 20 east should be signed for Madison and Chicago, since I-90 is very close [and there should also be a "TO I-90" banner as well].

I believe that this was done here, since to many long distance drivers Rockford is defined as the I-39/I-90 merge, and they are not necessarily interested in heading into town.  Of course, some addresses in Rockford may be closer to the I-39 exit and may be best going that way.

mrsman

I think I've seen a similar thread on here earlier.  But there are definitely other areas where this happens.

In Long Island, you see both Northern Parkway and the LIE having New York control cities.  I believe this also happens in the Bronx where I-95 and the Hutchison River Pkwy cross.

In the Baltimore-DC area both I-95 and the BW Pkwy connect Baltimore to DC.  The roadways cross near Baltimore and in the College Park area and I believe that they share control cities.

In my opinion, this should never happen.  Even if both roads lead to the same control city, they often have different intermediate cities.

For DC, I would say "Baltimore via College Park" for I-95 and "Baltimore via BWI Airport" for BW Parkway.

In LA, at the I-5/170 split they use different control cities of Hollywood and L.A. even though both routes head to Downtown LA.
I would use I-5: Los Angeles via Burbank and 170: Los Angeles via Hollywood.  This way, you let people know that both  routes head to the big city, but there's a difference in routing if you need Hollywood or Burbank.

Mapmikey

NC 411 west approaching Roseboro
http://goo.gl/maps/as785

The US 78 jct with SC 61 east of Bamberg used to have a sign for Charleston in both directions but GMSV is too blurry to tell if that is still true.

Mapmikey

briantroutman

Because of the US 22 and I-78 freeways paralleling each other through the Lehigh Valley and passing through all three of the region's anchor cities, PennDOT placed "Allentown - Bethlehem - Easton" at the top of this guide and "VIA I-78" and "VIA US 22" beneath.

A subsequent sign lists "New Jersey" and "LVI Airport - PA Turnpike" as controls for I-78 and US 22, respectively, so the one above might be considered supplementary.

There's also this guide sign on I-81 southbound heading into Harrisburg that lists "North Harrisburg" and "South Harrisburg" for I-81 and I-83. Not exactly the same control city (if you considered "North" and "South" Harrisburgs like separate cities), but the same sort of idea.

hobsini2

Quote from: mrsman on January 01, 2014, 09:46:31 AM
Quote from: hobsini2 on December 23, 2013, 05:12:58 PM
I-39 Northbound just before US 20 in Rockford IL.

https://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=42.212944,-89.011402&spn=0.021995,0.037251&t=h&z=15&vpsrc=6&cbll=42.212777,-89.011416&panoid=C3U-uMONWN1-8yr8rp93JQ&cbp=12,9.44,,0,1.14&ei=xLS4UvyEHZPWgASI_4GYAg&pw=2

This seems like a major fail, in my opinion.  The center of Rockford is clearly closer to US 20 west.  I-39 north/US 20 east should be signed for Madison and Chicago, since I-90 is very close [and there should also be a "TO I-90" banner as well].

I believe that this was done here, since to many long distance drivers Rockford is defined as the I-39/I-90 merge, and they are not necessarily interested in heading into town.  Of course, some addresses in Rockford may be closer to the I-39 exit and may be best going that way.

Actually, considering that Rockford's "Main drag" is State St east of Downtown to I-90 and that Cherry Vale Mall (which is Rockford's bigest shoping center, is east of that junction, i believe that's why it was put on both signs. You are right though about the need for a "TO" tag for 90.  Also, if you notice, there are ghost ramps heading north from the interchange. At one point, there was probably going to be a connection to at least Charles St if not State St but that has not been in the actual works for as long as I have lived in Illinois. Had the connection been put in, I don't thinkyou would have seen Rockford as a control city on either sign.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

DandyDan

In western Douglas County, Nebraska, in the area of where US 275 meets NE 92 and L28B, I believe signage indicates, or at least indicated, that you could get to Omaha via W. Dodge Road and via W Center Road if you were going eastbound on US 275 or NE 92.  I think historically, it may have also said South Omaha for following US 275 east.  The weird thing about following NE 92 east is you got the choice of following East US 275 or West US 275 to Omaha, but you would only take West US 275 to W. Dodge Road, which is L28B, and currently the freeway between Omaha and Fremont.  Frankly, I find it hard to explain.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Mr. Matté

Start here and pan left.

"If you want I-75 and you come to the fork in the road, take it."

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Quote from: Mr. Matté on January 28, 2014, 08:39:13 PM
Start here and pan left.

audible "WHAT THE BLOODY HELL"

NE2

Quote from: Alps on January 28, 2014, 11:50:25 PM
Start here and pan left.

The ones north and south are probably either intended as part of a logical business loop or reflect the replacement of signage posted before I-75 was complete.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

english si

Is it to dissuade turning "if you want I-75, go straight on".

I've certainly been lost in France on D roads where both directions say Paris (or some other big destination), and the cartouche with numbers on either have the same number or are missing. I've dealt with it by finding destinations on the map. Good job that there are so many on each one (I remember one sign post had 6 pointers in each direction) else I would have been totally lost - a lot of them weren't even on the Michelin map of the area.

hbelkins

Quote from: NE2 on January 28, 2014, 11:54:34 PM
Quote from: Alps on January 28, 2014, 11:50:25 PM
Start here and pan left.

The ones north and south are probably either intended as part of a logical business loop or reflect the replacement of signage posted before I-75 was complete.

It's OH 25, which means it was US 25, which means I-75 replaced it. There's no BL 75 posted there, and I would imagine that I-75 was built in one stretch through that area. Which means...

Quote from: english si on January 29, 2014, 07:02:48 AM
Is it to dissuade turning "if you want I-75, go straight on".

Bingo. Note the tight turning radii at this intersection.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.