News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Do Yall Ever Highlight the Roads You've Been On?

Started by BigMattFromTexas, June 29, 2009, 01:23:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMattFromTexas

Ever highlight all the highways you have driven on? I've done this on one of my Texas maps it is covered in blue :-)
Do yall do this?

deathtopumpkins

Sorta... VIA a kmz file from Google Earth.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Chris

mightyace

I have a couple of Rand-McNally atlases that I have done that too.  But, I'm about five years behind on my routes.

When I've done it, I've used four colors of highlighter for different phases of my life.

Yellow = Time at Home (birth to 8/1983)
Orange = Grad School (8/1983 to 11/1985)
Green = Ohio days (11/1985 to 11/1995)
Pink = Tennessee Days (11/1995 to present)
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

roadfro

I haven't done this, but have been meaning to start.

For an online method of highlighting roads, check some of the links in the "Highways You Have Clinched" thread.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Alex

I started highlighting my roads in a 2001 Rand McNally atlas. I'm still using this today, but branched late last year into a few state maps that provide more detail that I need.

I keep saying that I'll use the current year's atlas and create a new "roads traveled" atlas, but it hasn't happened so far  :coffee:

xonhulu

I might try an online method.  I hate to deface an innocent map.

Jim

I've bought a new Rand McNally every year for 10 or 12 years now, and started to highlight all of the roads I traveled during each year in that year's atlas, I think starting with 1999.  It's come in handy when I want to remember just where I drove on a specific road trip of the past.

I've also thought about having a master with all of the roads over the years, but with the online clinched highway mapping and things like that, I lost my motivation to do it.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

BigMattFromTexas

Quote from: xonhulu on June 30, 2009, 01:05:55 AM
I might try an online method.  I hate to deface an innocent map.
The Texas map i use is about four years old
:-D

Hellfighter

BigMattFromTexas

im gonna take some pictures of my map
;) BigMatt

Sykotyk

I started that back when I was around 12. When I turned 16, I started over with a new Rand McNally of where I've personally been the driver.

Update to a new map every couple of years (generally when the old map becomes too withered, usually the cover comes off, and then once NJ comes loose it's time for a new map).

Also have a second Rand McNally detailing which counties I've been to.

Sykotyk

Scott5114

I used to do this, by taking a copy of the Oklahoma official and highlighting where I'd driven in pink and where I'd just been (not driving) in yellow. But copying the map every other year or so is a pain.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

mightyace

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 07, 2009, 03:44:07 AM
But copying the map every other year or so is a pain.

I haven't done it that often, but it certainly is a pain to copy them.

This is IMHO the biggest reason to start doing this via computer!
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

cu2010

I had an old Rand McNally that I used to mark roads that I've been on in before, but that got lost a few years ago.

I also had a DeLorme New York State Atlas and Gazetteer for in-state trips, but that became unreadable after I began to run out of marker colors, also, most of the trips I used it for involved taking the same roads, since I was living in northern New York at the time and there's only about five roads out of there, so all of the colors kinda merged together to form one really, really dark color (though I always tried not to highlight the route number). I used the smaller state map inside the atlas (the one that shows which page to turn to to find a specific area) to keep track of the counties I've visited in. That atlas has long since been replaced...a barely readable atlas thanks to fifty zillion colors of marker is kinda hard to actually use...and at twenty bucks a pop I'm trying to make the current one last a bit. :D

Nowadays, I don't really keep track of them, since I really haven't gone anywhere in a while (kinda hard to travel when you have no money)...but when I do, I'd likely just start using my 2006 Rand McNally once I replace it (I've been too lazy to fork over the five bucks for a new one from Wally World)...and use a freebie NYS map I picked up from a rest area on I-81 to keep track of in-state trips. 
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.