Regional Boards > Mountain West

US-87 in New Mexico (future I-27)

(1/3) > >>

TheBox:
According to the proposed I-27 extension (aka Ports-to-Plains corridor), US-87 will be used from TX/NM state line around Clayton all the way to Raton.
In the grand scheme of things it is meant to connect Colorado with the Texas Panhandle on an interstate scale.

That being said it’s likely one of the last segments that’ll be done and saved for last in 50+ years from now (same with US-277/US-83 south of San Angelo in Texas)
But until the time comes, it currently is 4-lane divided expressway that needs bypasses around Clayton, Grenville, Des Moines, Capulin, and Raton; easier said than done for New Mexico.

triplemultiplex:
NM will build a four-lane, undivided bypass with no grade separations and T-intersections on either end for any one of those towns and call it a "relief route".
 :meh:

abqtraveler:

--- Quote from: TheBox on December 03, 2023, 03:22:09 PM ---According to the proposed I-27 extension (aka Ports-to-Plains corridor), US-87 will be used from TX/NM state line around Clayton all the way to Raton.
In the grand scheme of things it is meant to connect Colorado with the Texas Panhandle on an interstate scale.

That being said it’s likely one of the last segments that’ll be done and saved for last in 50+ years from now (same with US-277/US-83 south of San Angelo in Texas)
But until the time comes, it currently is 4-lane divided expressway that needs bypasses around Clayton, Grenville, Des Moines, Capulin, and Raton; easier said than done for New Mexico.

--- End quote ---
Last legislative session, IIRC, New Mexico lawmakers allocated some funds for NMDOT to perform an engineering study on US-64/87 from Texas line to Raton to determine what it will take to upgrade that stretch to interstate standards. An article from KRQE back in the spring estimated it would cost up to $1.3 billion to upgrade 64/87 to I-27, but it appears to be supported by the communities along the corridor, and was backed by both of New Mexico's senators when the bill made its way through Congress.  Unfortunately, it will likely sit as an idle project until Congress earmarks funding for it, since New Mexico claims they have no money to move the project forward.

https://www.krqe.com/news/new-mexico/plans-in-place-for-a-new-interstate-between-texas-and-new-mexico/

DJStephens:
     Not happening.  Even with localized support from Raton area businesses, and a few local politicians, the fact remains the entire US 64/87 corridor - W from the TX line is sub-standard for such a fantasy.   It "could" have been upgraded, starting several decades ago to become an I grade route.  The early - mid 00's "upgrade" could have been far more wisely thought out and executed.  Meaning take a stair step process towards a credible I grade facility.  Many other states take that route, and use that thought process. 
     That was not done here, on US 64/87.   Tens of millions was squandered on a regressively designed four lane product.   Narrow median, narrow shoulders, improper subgrade and basecourse placement and compaction, the list goes on.   That's what known as a "throwaway improvement". 
     The whole idea of "attracting" additional long haul freight to Raton Pass is absurd.  The conditions, the geography and topology, the weather in winter, the grades (ironically worse on CO side), the crumbling pavements, and narrow profile and substandard exits (ironically worse on CO side) make this whole scenario completely ridiculous.   

Plutonic Panda:
Has there at least been any movement on a Clayton bypass? Hell at this point I’d be happy with at least a two lane bypass that could be upgraded in the future.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version