News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Garden State Parkway

Started by Roadrunner75, July 30, 2014, 09:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

02 Park Ave

There are change machines on the JFK highway in Maryland.
C-o-H

OracleUsr

Quote from: Beeper1 on May 03, 2017, 07:00:41 PM
Only toll facility I know of that takes credit cards is the Confederation Bridge to PEI.

At 45CAD I'm not surprised.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

vdeane

The Thruway and Thousand Island Bridge both take credit cards as well, as does Autoroute 30 (whether Autoroute 30 takes American cards is another question).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: compdude787 on May 03, 2017, 02:30:16 PM
What?! They don't accept debit or credit cards? That's pretty stupid. I don't ever carry cash with me, ever since I got my debit card a few years ago.

So any toll road that doesn't accept cash because you got a debit card a few years ago is stupid?  Glad to know the world started revolving around you when you turned 18. I guess you better stay off the toll roads then, especially out east. Or get an EZ Pass...which you can link to your few year old debit card.

Rothman

Quote from: vdeane on May 03, 2017, 10:38:06 PM
The Thruway and Thousand Island Bridge both take credit cards as well, as does Autoroute 30 (whether Autoroute 30 takes American cards is another question).
You sure about the Thruway accepting cards?  I am skeptical.  I looked into it at least somewhat recently and they did not.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Roadgeek Adam

Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

PHLBOS

Quote from: Alps on May 03, 2017, 07:41:41 PM
http://www.philly.com/philly/business/transportation/Pennsylvania-Turnpike-toll-collectors-will-accept-credit-cards.html
Interesting.  Having used the PA Turnpike at least once a month; I have never seen any signs or advertising for such like I have for the AET at the Delaware River Bridge (when it wasn't closed for emergency repairs).  PTC clearly wants to keep this on a need to know basis per the below-quote (bold emphasis added):

Quote from: Philly.com ArticleCard readers were initially issued as a pilot program and were made available throughout the state on Sept. 19. DeFebo emphasized, though, that people without E-ZPass should just carry cash. "The credit card really is not a preferred payment method," he said.

Quote from: storm2k on May 03, 2017, 08:21:08 PMThe Indiana Toll Road accepts credit cards.
At the toll booths?  Are there are designated booths to handle such transactions?

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on May 03, 2017, 10:21:38 PM
I'm assuming those are at the service plazas and not at the tollbooths themselves.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 04, 2017, 08:59:45 AM
I'm assuming those are at the service plazas and not at the tollbooths themselves.

That one I'm confused about as well, being the only toll is the mainline toll, which is $8.  No need for change there.

The AC Expressway has change machines at some of their ramp tolls, but not all of them (the 40c Berlin/Crosskeys Rd ramp doesn't have change machines).

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 04, 2017, 09:37:29 AM

That one I'm confused about as well, being the only toll is the mainline toll, which is $8.  No need for change there.
Maybe he's referring to ATMs.  If one is heading northbound, where the toll is charged, without cash; a stop at the Maryland House Service Plaza beforehand would be needed in order to get cash from an ATM.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

signalman

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 04, 2017, 09:37:29 AM

Unless he means that there's unmanned booths that accept larger bills (10s, 20s) and dispense the appropriate change.  Otherwise, I have no idea what he's referring to either.

vdeane

Quote from: Rothman on May 03, 2017, 11:17:34 PM
Quote from: vdeane on May 03, 2017, 10:38:06 PM
You sure about the Thruway accepting cards?  I am skeptical.  I looked into it at least somewhat recently and they did not.
Interesting.  I just checked and found the same thing.  Yet I could have sworn that I read an article about them accepting cards sometime in the past few years.  Did they consider it and then quietly decide not to?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Roadgeek Adam

The Detroit-Windsor Tunnel also accepts debit and credit cards.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

roadman65

I know the Kansas Turnpike does, as my friend used it when we both went to a retreat that was two states away.  They processed his card and gave it right back to him.  I know I was the driver and he was shotgun, so I passed it between the two.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

PHLBOS

The only issue I see, which relates to additional traffic backups at the booths, is when the credit/debit card readers are down for whatever reason.  Such a scenario is where cash becomes king.

For those who don't think the above can't happen; I've seen such occur at supermarkets and at a Boston Market.  Many years ago when those readers first came out; if such malfunctioned, the old-school swiper with its cardon-copy receipts came to the rescue.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman65

The problem is people don't care if they hold up traffic or are waiting.  I get hold ups for looking for change and putting their wallets away and nobody behind gets anal.  In fact people do not seem to care the toll booth experience holds them up, and in most people's minds we're the bad guys for charging tolls.  Even with signs informing of the tolls to come, most people never look at them or most people now forgot they can easily figure out how to get around the facilities, they still think that the toll roads are the only way to get from A to B that leads them to tolerate the wait of the slowpoke ahead of them.

Sheryl Crowe

plain

The Pocahontas Pkwy accepts credit cards as well. As they should given the ridiculously high toll.. at least they provide drivers with that convenience. No chance of backing up traffic on this road because traffic counts are way too low for that. Accepting cards at ANY tollbooth in Jersey will never be a good idea though.
Newark born, Richmond bred

cpzilliacus

Quote from: plain on May 05, 2017, 03:17:51 PM
The Pocahontas Pkwy accepts credit cards as well. As they should given the ridiculously high toll.. at least they provide drivers with that convenience. No chance of backing up traffic on this road because traffic counts are way too low for that. Accepting cards at ANY tollbooth in Jersey will never be a good idea though.

The Dulles Greenway part of VA-267 (in Loudoun County) accepts credit cards.  At the ramps west of the main  toll barrier, which are always unstaffed, the only ways to pay are with E-ZPass (some still have SmarTag signs) or a credit card.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

PurdueBill

Quote from: storm2k on May 03, 2017, 08:21:08 PMThe Indiana Toll Road accepts credit cards.
At the toll booths?  Are there are designated booths to handle such transactions?

Using the ITR sometimes but paying with E-ZPass and not stopping long enough to take a photo, I don't have my own photo of the payment station, but my recall of the setup was confirmed by a photo I could find. 

They have them at any lane that isn't always E-ZPass.  Note that they even have two sets of card readers and slots to insert your ticket into, for tall and lower vehicles.  It operates similarly to the self-pay of an airport parking garage or something where you insert your magnetic stripe ticket you were issued on entry.  They have the machines at every lane that offers "CASH/CREDIT" as a payment option on the electronic sign above the lane.

cpzilliacus

Look, I think most toll road agencies would rather collect the toll from a credit card as opposed to not at all. As such, it is smart of them to take plastic (at least where there is staffed toll collection or a card reader is available even if the toll point is not staffed).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

roadman65

Not Florida they want to go completely cashless so their overall objective is to remove the plazas, which they have done in Tampa and Miami already.

Anyway, does anyone know how the Exit 125 SB will be signed?  Will it also have both NJ 35 and US 9 using both Sayreville and South Amboy as control points?  If so using US 9 there might create some confusion as some may think that is for the current 123 ramp for US 9.  Plus then it would be redundant to Exit 124 with control cities as that currently uses those two places.

NB is okay to  use them being there is no NB Exit 123 or 124, and even Old Bridge Twp was added to 123 guides after 124 opened as before that 123 was signed for both South Amboy and Sayreville.  To avoid redundancy and the fact getting to South Amboy from 123 required you to take exit on US 9 to use Bordentown Avenue into that city, they removed South Amboy for Old Bridge.  Plus that move was more wiser as US 9 serves that township just a mile south of that interchange.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadrunner75

Article in the Asbury Park Press about additional ramps opening at exit 91 on the GSP:

http://www.app.com/story/news/traffic/commuting/2017/05/15/garden-state-parkway-exit-91-improvements-construction/322340001/

This is actually kind of a big nothing, as the only real result today was the opening of the southbound entrance ramp.  Other than the traffic signals along Lanes Mill Road being activated, generally the same traffic patterns exist.  I tried out "Ramp C" on the commute home today:

There's plenty of work to do still on the east side of the Parkway, with the opening of the northbound exit ramp (can't wait) and the new northbound on-ramps.  On the west side, I still haven't figured out what the point of the Herborn Ave. extension is, if they were just going to leave the segment of Burnt Tavern in between Herborn and Lanes Mill intact.  It makes a couple moves slightly easier, but still leaves some tightly spaced signals and does nothing much for the heavy traffic exiting the GSP SB to Burnt Tavern every night.  We'll see how it goes...

roadman65

So the new NB Ramp will be moved to Lanes Mill Road and the one from Burnt Store going bye bye forever?

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: roadman65 on May 16, 2017, 11:23:06 PM
So the new NB Ramp will be moved to Lanes Mill Road and the one from Burnt Store going bye bye forever?
Look at the image. It answers questions.

Don'tKnowYet

Quote from: Alps on May 17, 2017, 12:43:22 AM

The image does however have one critical error.  The small piece of Burnt Tavern Road between the SB GSP off ramp and the Herborn Street Extension/Herborn Street intersection is one way westbound.  It is not two-way travel like the layout shows.

roadman65

Quote from: Don'tKnowYet on May 17, 2017, 07:25:22 AM
Quote from: Alps on May 17, 2017, 12:43:22 AM

The image does however have one critical error.  The small piece of Burnt Tavern Road between the SB GSP off ramp and the Herborn Street Extension/Herborn Street intersection is one way westbound.  It is not two-way travel like the layout shows.

I see it but find it hard to believe about .  Though it is good probably a good idea.

Alps I usually ignore you but that feature don't work on but really.  Yes I can see the diagram which is why I commented. 

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.