News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

School zones that aren't school zones

Started by kphoger, December 04, 2017, 01:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

I ran across this on Saturday while driving from Sedgwick to Valley Center, KS.  This sign is present at both the north and south ends of the school.  Nowhere on the sign does it say "SCHOOL," even though an "END SCHOOL ZONE" sign is mounted to the back of each one.

My assumption is that this was done on purpose in order to make a 45mph speed limit legal.  There is a Valley Center ordinance that says:

Quote from: Valley Center Code of Ordinances, Title 10 - VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC
10.04.040 - School zones.
In areas properly posted with signs designating school zones and/or school lanes, the speed of all vehicles shall not be more than twenty (20) miles per hour between the hours said school zone or lane is posted to be in effect; all to be in effect only on those days when any one of the schools in Valley Center, Kansas, is in session.

So this must have been the city taking advantage of a loophole:  if signs aren't properly posted, then the restriction does not apply.

Is there anything else out there like this?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US 89

The closest thing I can think of is in Fort Worth TX, there is this on University Drive as it passes through the TCU campus. It's a "Pedestrian Area" but works like a school zone. There's even an "End Speed Zone sign at the other end.

What's the limit on that road without the school zone (or whatever it is)? I would assume it's more than 45. What's the advantage of having a 45 mph speed limit on that road instead of 20?

kphoger

It's 55 mph, a little bit past the edge of town.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: kphoger on December 04, 2017, 01:46:54 PM
I ran across this on Saturday while driving from Sedgwick to Valley Center, KS.  This sign is present at both the north and south ends of the school.  Nowhere on the sign does it say "SCHOOL," even though an "END SCHOOL ZONE" sign is mounted to the back of each one.

My assumption is that this was done on purpose in order to make a 45mph speed limit legal.  There is a Valley Center ordinance that says:

Quote from: Valley Center Code of Ordinances, Title 10 - VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC
10.04.040 - School zones.
In areas properly posted with signs designating school zones and/or school lanes, the speed of all vehicles shall not be more than twenty (20) miles per hour between the hours said school zone or lane is posted to be in effect; all to be in effect only on those days when any one of the schools in Valley Center, Kansas, is in session.

So this must have been the city taking advantage of a loophole:  if signs aren't properly posted, then the restriction does not apply.

Is there anything else out there like this?
more people will do a 45 vs an 20 on a high speed road.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.