News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The Best of Road Signs

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 21, 2010, 06:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

architect77

What initially was to be the biggest, most perfect diagrammatical overhead I'd ever seen, located in my native North Carolina, is now a patchwork disaster, Winston-Salem keeps jumping sides (moved back to right side after pic was taken), as well as shields bouncing from colored to business over and over. I-40's short-lived rerouting onto Greenboro's urban loop is responsible for the defacing....

6a

Hmm, cloudy day, cell phone, while driving...check check check  :pan:

Supposed to be a 270 shield on this one

I have a funny feeling this one is original.

agentsteel53

Quote from: 6a on October 04, 2010, 02:42:58 PM
I have a funny feeling this one is original.

it is a '57 spec shield...
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

NJRoadfan

Sadly replaced.

Still up and confusing motorists.

How about a dead route just hours from being wiped out?

These are mostly gone now.

So old, they aren't green anymore.

This sign is gone, but there are still some hanging around.

agentsteel53

Quote from: NJRoadfan on October 04, 2010, 07:37:47 PM

[route 22 white cast iron guide sign]

that one was extra special because the 22 was a patch over an older NJ state highway!  I believe it was 6 (Alps, confirm for me please?)

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 04, 2010, 09:40:50 PM
Quote from: NJRoadfan on October 04, 2010, 07:37:47 PM

[route 22 white cast iron guide sign]

that one was extra special because the 22 was a patch over an older NJ state highway!  I believe it was 6 (Alps, confirm for me please?)
29.  The part of 29 south of 179 was original 29, which then followed 179 (US 202) to US 22.

agentsteel53

oops.  dunno which ass I pulled "6" from.

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

If you meant 26, 26 still exists in very abbreviated form, and in fact there is one remnant of the former route - an old NJ 26 shield still stands on what is now a rerouted NJ 171 (former US 30).  26 was former US 1 south from New Brunswick.  If you meant 6, the only remnants of that route are in stamped overpasses along US 46.

agentsteel53

no, for some reason I really had thought that the 22 patch was over a number 6, per your website.  I recognized the patch but completely misremembered what was underneath.

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

D-Dey65

Quote from: Dougtone on September 27, 2010, 08:06:20 PM
Maybe not the best of road signs, but you have a rare diamond embossed sign for the Roseboom town line, and next to it, a tree eating a sign.  Signs growing into trees is a bit of a problem in Otsego County, New York, as referenced by the sign photo below...

Oh, man! Tree or no tree, the fact that it's yellow with a black stripe in the middle with white button-copy letters makes it unique. I've seen a few signs like this before but I never saw any official references to them.

As for sign-eating trees, I once tried to get a sign for the old Yaphank Motel out of a tree on Long Island Avenue at the corner of a former section of Patchogue-Yaphank Road. I wasn't able to do it. The last time I went up there, I didn't see the sign, so somebody either must've taken it out successfully, or trashed it along with the tree itself.

okroads

Missoula, MT; a U.S. 12 shield with "US" inside the shield:

WillWeaverRVA

Richmond is now actively removing all remaining cutouts from the city during its citywide street resurfacing project and replacing them with their horribly ugly unisigns (seriously, how hard is it to make a normal-looking shield?!), so I'm trying to document the ones that are still left.

VA 161 SOUTH and NORTH Cutout Trailblazers by Will Weaver, on Flickr

VA 197 WEST Cutout Trailblazer by Will Weaver, on Flickr

Those are still there. The following one is gone.

Old VA 197 Cutout by Will Weaver, on Flickr

VA 197 Cutout w/Surroundings by Will Weaver, on Flickr
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

agentsteel53

any US cutouts left in Richmond?  also, any of the older style with the embossed border?

jake@aaroads.com

WillWeaverRVA

IIRC, the last US route cutouts were removed before 2003. The last one I remember was on EB W Broad St (US 33/250) between Westmoreland St and Staples Mill Rd (US 33).

I've scoured the various US routes in Richmond and have come up empty-handed; the oldest signs I can find are City of Richmond uni-signs. These signs ARE quite old and some of the older ones refer to old route alignments - they date back to the 1970s and possibly earlier (there is a sign for US 60 on Broad St at Monroe St; this part of Broad has not had US 60 since 1974), but they're not what I'm looking for. Of course, the city is also replacing those and one of the replacements is an error shield that I stuck in the sign error thread.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Kacie Jane

Quote from: okroads on October 05, 2010, 11:36:58 AM
Missoula, MT; a U.S. 12 shield with "US" inside the shield:

I remember seeing this sign visiting a friend at the Univ of Montana last summer.  The M on the hill in the background a nice touch.  Cool pic!

The greater Seattle area is full of old signs (notably the US 99 sign still up on the viaduct entrance).  Here's a funky-fonted I-5 sign in Lynnwood, and the To banner and the arrow are a noticably darker blue.

Kniwt

A classic from Sacramento; the sign was replaced in 2010. You can just barely see the shadow of the "g" in "Los Angeles" hiding under what was left of "Fresno."

agentsteel53

Quote from: Kacie Jane on October 30, 2010, 08:24:29 PMHere's a funky-fonted I-5 sign in Lynnwood, and the To banner and the arrow are a noticably darker blue.

excellent!  that is a Washington standard font.  it's the same 5 as on the '57-spec 90/405 at the airport.

jake@aaroads.com

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Kacie Jane

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 31, 2010, 12:35:50 AM
Is that I-5 16×16?

I didn't pull out my ruler, but it definitely was on the smallish size.  The To banner and the arrow were normal-sized, and the shield being narrower than those kind of added to the "Best of"-ness to me.  Glad I was able to get out of the car to take the pic.

agentsteel53

that is likely an 18x18 shield.  Hell of a find, in that case.  I have never seen an 18x18 Washington.  There is a single 21x18 that I know of still remaining.

jake@aaroads.com

Quillz

Quote from: SyntheticDreamer on October 14, 2010, 12:00:18 AM
Richmond is now actively removing all remaining cutouts from the city during its citywide street resurfacing project and replacing them with their horribly ugly unisigns (seriously, how hard is it to make a normal-looking shield?!), so I'm trying to document the ones that are still left.

RIP cutout shields... :-(

PLEASE cut large images from replies.

nyratk1

I was reading a thread on another forum with pictures of past famous baseball players and I saw this one of Hall of Famer Ty Cobb and a US 1 with reflectors.  :love:

Ian

Love the US 1 shield! But why aren't ROCKY and CREEK on the same sign I wonder?
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Michael

Just below the center of this photo of NY 317, you can see a white sign for Elbridge and Syracuse.  It's the only old direction sign I've seen in person.

Credit: Wikipedia

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.