News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Sine salad

Started by hbelkins, August 29, 2012, 10:25:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjk374

Quote from: txstateends on February 12, 2018, 09:30:01 AM
Quote from: roadguy2 on February 12, 2018, 12:38:43 AM
Here's one in St. Louis:

The I-64 and US 40 shields are supposed to have what direction here, east or west?

West IIRC.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

US 89

Quote from: cjk374 on February 12, 2018, 06:01:01 PM
Quote from: txstateends on February 12, 2018, 09:30:01 AM
Quote from: roadguy2 on February 12, 2018, 12:38:43 AM
Here’s one in St. Louis:

The I-64 and US 40 shields are supposed to have what direction here, east or west?

West IIRC.

I'm not sure, as it's an extremely confusing assembly. First of all, everything that isn't I-44 should have a TO banner. You can't actually get to 64 and 40 by turning right there. Turning left takes you only on 44 east to 70 west. Going straight takes you across the river, where you can get on 64/40 going either direction.

TBKS1

Surely this counts.

Lots of choices by TheInstrumentalist, on Flickr

If not, there's a larger group right off of Exit 123 on I-30.
I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

thenetwork

Quote from: TBKS1 on March 16, 2018, 11:21:59 PM
Surely this counts.

Lots of choices by TheInstrumentalist, on Flickr

If not, there's a larger group right off of Exit 123 on I-30.

So which one of the signs serves the best salads?

txstateends

I wouldn't want to try the Exxon or Citgo salad, they'd use something besides olive oil  😝😉
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

MNHighwayMan

If you go to the Waffle House you might be able to get your salad tossed.

wanderer2575

Quote from: hbelkins on August 31, 2012, 09:26:09 PM
Sine salad in Elkins, WV, in 2002:

I thought I had a newer photo of the signage that replaced that assembly just a couple of years after I took that photo, but I can't seem to find it.

Allow me.

And here's the backside:

mrsman

I'm guessing that message loading guidelines do not apply here because these are not high-speed roadways, right?

In any event, the signage is extremely complicated and there is too much information to take in if you are unfamiliar with the area.

hbelkins

Those signs in Elkins are at a traffic signal.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bzakharin

Quote from: mrsman on April 20, 2018, 03:38:06 PM
I'm guessing that message loading guidelines do not apply here because these are not high-speed roadways, right?

In any event, the signage is extremely complicated and there is too much information to take in if you are unfamiliar with the area.

Oh, I don't know. If you are looking for a particular route you'll find it assuming the speed limit is low enough. Just out of curiosity, how would one go about reducing the number of shields without losing information?

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: bzakharin on April 26, 2018, 12:37:39 PM

Oh, I don't know. If you are looking for a particular route you'll find it assuming the speed limit is low enough. Just out of curiosity, how would one go about reducing the number of shields without losing information?

Using wanderer2575's second picture in that post as an example, stacking US-219, US-250, and WV-92 shields vertically below a North banner and above a left arrow would eliminate four auxiliary signs (two North banners and two arrows). Do the same for SB and there's four more auxiliaries eliminated.

Edit: Crude MS Paint chop job I made to illustrate it, just in case it isn't clear in text. I omitted the US-33 markers for simplicity.

txstateends

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on April 27, 2018, 02:27:25 AM
Quote from: bzakharin on April 26, 2018, 12:37:39 PM

Using wanderer2575's second picture in that post as an example, stacking US-219, US-250, and WV-92 shields vertically below a North banner and above a left arrow would eliminate four auxiliary signs (two North banners and two arrows). Do the same for SB and there's four more auxiliaries eliminated.

Edit: Crude MS Paint chop job I made to illustrate it, just in case it isn't clear in text. I omitted the US-33 markers for simplicity.

You did pretty good, in lieu of a semi-BGS treatment.  In most cases, TxDOT does it how you arranged it.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: txstateends on April 27, 2018, 09:33:57 AM
You did pretty good, in lieu of a semi-BGS treatment.  In most cases, TxDOT does it how you arranged it.

It's how MnDOT does it too, which is why I suggested it:

I'm pretty sure this sort of arrangement is permitted by the MUTCD, so I don't know if some DOTs are just OCD-completion nutters and/or if their standard practices just call for it, but that borderline ridiculous amount of signage in wanderer2575's pic is not really necessary.

TBKS1

Fort Smith, Arkansas.

Junction of 4 routes by TheInstrumentalist, on Flickr

You don't see stuff like this in Arkansas all that much.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

US71

Quote from: TBKS1 on May 19, 2018, 12:49:27 AM
Fort Smith, Arkansas.

Junction of 4 routes by TheInstrumentalist, on Flickr

You don't see stuff like this in Arkansas all that much.

That should be TO 271, even though this is its original north end
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

US71

Another Arkansas 4-some in Arkadelphia
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

TBKS1

I'll add some more stuff here. It's not the best but still.

Talihina, Oklahoma

Lots of signs by TheInstrumentalist, on Flickr

Latimer County, Oklahoma

OK-1 & OK-63 @ OK-2 by TheInstrumentalist, on Flickr

McAlester, Oklahoma - US 69 should be US 69 Business.

US-270, OK-31, OK-1 @ US-69B by TheInstrumentalist, on Flickr

txstateends

Those OK cleavers need to lighten up a bit on the bold-facing.  It takes away from the readability of the route numbers.

Scott5114

The first run of them did have a lighter cleaver. They started bold-facing them later on. I think that it may have to do with the switch from engineer-grade to diamond-grade sheeting.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

csw

Are all these assemblies crooked or is it just the result of taking pictures while driving?

formulanone

Quote from: csw on May 23, 2018, 03:08:23 PM
Are all these assemblies crooked or is it just the result of taking pictures while driving?

Probably a little of both; I have to tweak the angle on about 95% of my photos by at least 0.5° or more. Between 2-5° is not uncommon for me.

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 23, 2018, 07:43:24 AM
The first run of them did have a lighter cleaver. They started bold-facing them later on. I think that it may have to do with the switch from engineer-grade to diamond-grade sheeting.

I'd advocate that the Oklahoma outline should be in a different color, or at least small enough for the numbers to go underneath (approaching Fictional here).

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: formulanone on May 23, 2018, 03:44:56 PM
Probably a little of both; I have to tweak the angle on about 95% of my photos by at least 0.5° or more. Between 2-5° is not uncommon for me.

No need to use Photoshop to adjust perspective if you stop and take pictures while standing at the edge of the road. ;-) :biggrin:

(Don't do this on the side of the Interstate, kids!)

formulanone

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on May 23, 2018, 04:29:14 PM

No need to use Photoshop to adjust perspective if you stop and take pictures while standing at the edge of the road. ;-) :biggrin:

I still find myself adjusting several photos taken while standing still. Maybe my eye-piece viewfinder is a little off, or maybe I'm a wobbly individual.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: formulanone on May 23, 2018, 05:13:33 PM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on May 23, 2018, 04:29:14 PM

I still find myself adjusting several photos taken while standing still. Maybe my eye-piece viewfinder is a little off, or maybe I'm a wobbly individual.

Yeah, in no way am I saying it's perfect. Using a tripod would be the only way to do that, and that'd be way too cumbersome. But the stop-and-get-out method does make it much easier to get it right (or mostly so), plus I think the overall result looks way nicer, which makes it worth the effort IMO.

TBKS1

I'm not old enough to drive yet, but I do remember seeing a lot of signs that were leaning a bit. It could have also just been me too though.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.