Horizontal Traffic Lights

Started by Roadsguy, October 26, 2012, 07:21:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

realjd

Quote from: Aerobird on August 13, 2017, 01:40:40 AM
Quote from: realjd on August 12, 2017, 08:43:04 AM
I've heard that also, but they're still installing the occasaional span wire intersections here in Melbourne. They may be able to get exemptions to the rule in some circumstances.

Horizontal lights are rare in this part of the state, even on new mast arm installations. The standard here now is for vertical mounted signals painted black with yellow reflective tape on the back plate, and 4-light FYA instead of doghouses.

I'd reckon it depends on how they define "10 miles from the coast". Are they putting wires at intersections by the Indian River, or towards I-95? If they measure from the beach, the latter might squeak outside the boundary.

Both US1 by the river and A1A along the barrier island have a bunch of span wire lights still. The one I'm specifically thinking of though is at the corner of Palm Bay Rd and Babcock St (SR507) in Palm Bay. When they widened Palm Bay Road they replaced every signal with mast arms except for that one which they put in big concrete posts and span wires in an X configuration. It's well within the 10 mile limit.

David Jr.

Some new traffic lights were installed at the US 400/US 69/US 160/K-171 (Kansas 171) junction just south of Pittsburg, KS.  All the traffic lights on that intersection are horizontal.

US71

Quote from: David Jr. on December 26, 2017, 10:57:55 PM
Some new traffic lights were installed at the US 400/US 69/US 160/K-171 (Kansas 171) junction just south of Pittsburg, KS.  All the traffic lights on that intersection are horizontal.

Last time I was there, it was a 4-way stop. Of course, it's been a few years.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

kphoger

Quote from: US71 on December 26, 2017, 11:17:11 PM

Last time I was there, it was a construction zone.  I'm happy to see a stoplight going in at that location.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US 89

The Google car agrees with you.

kphoger

Quote from: roadguy2 on December 27, 2017, 12:12:17 PM

The Google car agrees with you.

It was a 4-way stop until quite recently.  This is along my usual route to Branson, where my in-laws are from.  I think the stoplights might have been up but not operational last time I was through there.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US 89

A new horizontal signal has been installed in Utah, at the intersection of southbound Mountain View Corridor and 4100 South. To my knowledge, this is one of only three horizontal signals in Utah.

EDIT: fixed picture link.

7/8

Quote from: roadguy2 on January 02, 2018, 06:48:23 PM
A new horizontal signal has been installed in Utah, at the intersection of southbound Mountain View Corridor and 4100 South. To my knowledge, this is one of only three horizontal signals in Utah.

Here's a link since I couldn't figure out how to post the image directly.

Click the share button (an arrow) on the bottom-right of the image to get the bbcode link.

4100 S eastbound at Mountain View by roadguy2, on Flickr

jakeroot

Quote from: 7/8 on January 02, 2018, 08:03:10 PM
Quote from: roadguy2 on January 02, 2018, 06:48:23 PM

Here's a link since I couldn't figure out how to post the image directly.

Click the share button (an arrow) on the bottom-right of the image to get the bbcode link.

Flickr's BBCode links are stupidly long. I don't see why there needs to be attribution included with every link, and every photo clickable. Those should be options (a checkbox, like with "embed").

For anyone that uses Flickr who doesn't want every photo to include attribution and to be clickable, hit the download button, click "view all sizes", and then right-click>copy image address. Paste that in the message box here, highlight the link, and then hit the image button above the message box. The forum fills in the rest.

Roadwarriors79

I have seen some new horizontal traffic signals in El Mirage AZ. As far as I know no other jurisdiction in Arizona installs horizontal signals.

mapman1071

Quote from: Roadwarriors79 on February 05, 2018, 09:45:38 PM
I have seen some new horizontal traffic signals in El Mirage AZ. As far as I know no other jurisdiction in Arizona installs horizontal signals.

Thunderbird Road @ Grand Avenue Frontage Road    https://www.google.com/maps/@33.6093251,-112.3152019,3a,75y,210.55h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sGLJR8k1psFPQh9YqVevjKw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Roadwarriors79

Quote from: mapman1071 on February 12, 2018, 01:17:21 AM
Quote from: Roadwarriors79 on February 05, 2018, 09:45:38 PM

Thunderbird Road @ Grand Avenue Frontage Road    https://www.google.com/maps/@33.6093251,-112.3152019,3a,75y,210.55h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sGLJR8k1psFPQh9YqVevjKw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Thanks for the visual. The signals at El Mirage/Olive, El Mirage/Peoria, El Mirage/Cactus, and El Mirage/Thunderbird all have horizontal overhead signals similar to this.

US 89

I completely forgot about this until I found it again on GSV yesterday: the US 91 interchange at I-86 in Pocatello has horizontal signals. Here's a link. They're the only ones I'm aware of in Idaho.

David Jr.

This is at I-65/70 and Washington St. in Indianapolis, IN:

https://goo.gl/maps/XVh4eKcf5tM2

Ian

I found a random intersection along US 1 in Kennebunk, Maine last weekend with one side having horizontal signals. In this case, it looks like it was done so the signals weren't obscured by the power lines.

https://goo.gl/maps/QQP8NwtYE772

The only other location in Maine I know of with horizontal signals exists on both ends of the diamond interchange with I-95 (exit 130) and ME 104 in Waterville, here and here. If you turn the second street view link around 180 degrees, you'll even find a horizontal signal ahead sign!
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

kphoger

Quote from: Ian on October 15, 2018, 01:59:18 PM
find a horizontal signal ahead sign!

Now that's just awesome!  I'm honestly surprised that doesn't happen more places.
Male pronouns, please.

index

Quote from: kphoger on October 15, 2018, 02:33:29 PM
Quote from: Ian on October 15, 2018, 01:59:18 PM
find a horizontal signal ahead sign!

Now that's just awesome!  I'm honestly surprised that doesn't happen more places.

On a related note, in regards to specific signals on signs, I've seen a few 12-8-8 photo enforced warning signs, particularly in Virginia, and I believe a traffic light warning sign with a 12-8-8 on it. I can get pictures I've taken later. They're not too common either.

Edit:
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

paulthemapguy

Horizontal signal heads are a rarity in Illinois, so I'll post this one.  This is IL-25 and Gilbert St. in South Elgin.  The signal shown in GSV has since been replaced with a protected-only left turn:

https://goo.gl/maps/FkS8pJMNm1x
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

ipeters61

I seem to remember a few randomly scattered about around CT-372 in Central Connecticut.  This is on CT-372 at Depot Road in Berlin.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Tonytone

Promoting Cities since 1998!

DrSmith

Mark68

Quote from: DrSmith on November 10, 2018, 09:37:09 PM
A horizontal side-mount in Texas  https://goo.gl/maps/anuqLL5MRTN2

Was it even necessary to mount that light horizontally? It's mounted on a perfectly good pole where it could have been mounted vertically. I know Texas loves their horizontal traffic lights, but I have seen vertical side mounts there...
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

Scott5114

Quote from: Mark68 on November 13, 2018, 03:28:41 PM
Quote from: DrSmith on November 10, 2018, 09:37:09 PM
A horizontal side-mount in Texas  https://goo.gl/maps/anuqLL5MRTN2

Was it even necessary to mount that light horizontally? It's mounted on a perfectly good pole where it could have been mounted vertically. I know Texas loves their horizontal traffic lights, but I have seen vertical side mounts there...

It's Texas. "Was that even necessary?" is like a state motto.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

DaBigE

How about a horizontal bike signal? Rotate the image 180-degrees to see a second installation.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Quote from: DaBigE on November 13, 2018, 09:35:31 PM
How about a horizontal bike signal? Rotate the image 180-degrees to see a second installation.

That's a new one for me! If used consistently with vertical signals for conflicting vehicular movements, it could help reduce confusion between bicycle signal heads and turn arrows (which I find to be a bit of an overblown concern, but whatever).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.