News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Road Trip To Canada. I made it!!!

Started by US 41, July 07, 2015, 08:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lordsutch

Just to add my two (now discontinued) Canadian cents, my experience in Montreal last summer was that I barely got the opportunity to speak French in the majority of my conversations, even when I wanted to; maybe I just look like a tourist (since I was normally by myself they obviously weren't picking up on the language I was speaking to a companion). The only place I actually managed to engage in a lengthy conversation in French was at the lost-and-found office for the metro system.

Dr Frankenstein

Quote from: SP Cook on July 09, 2015, 07:56:36 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on July 09, 2015, 07:27:54 AM
My observation in Montreal is that many restaurants have French menus and English menus ...

THE place in Montreal that is not accommodating to English speakers is Le Ronde, which is the Six Flags managed theme park.  All signage is in French.  OK, I get that.  But the only maps they have are in French.  Now, Montreal is over 1/3rd English speakers, and the park would be the closest theme park for not only eastern Ontarians, but parts of northern New England too.  And only French.  Now, I can get a map in like 30 languages at Disney, and even King's Island has four or five in proudly unicultural Cincinnati. 

I am told it is part of their deal with the province, since the place still belongs to it, left over from the late 60s world's fair.

The city actually owns the land (and not the province). And I guess there's been some changes to the park's policy anyway, because there's definitely some bilingual signage now.

Brandon

Quote from: US 41 on July 09, 2015, 09:11:51 AM
I've also heard that Niagara Falls, NY is not very nice. I heard it is kind of a bad neighborhood. I'm not going to be going there anyways. I'm using the Peace Bridge that leads into Buffalo from Fort Erie. I am looking forward to seeing the falls.

Just stay out of the Love Canal.  :pan:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

US 41

I saw the falls. They were pretty impressive. I was surprised when I left Canada on the Peace Bridge that I didn't have to pay a toll. I just looked it up and you only have to pay if you enter Canada. It is free to cross if you leave Canada. The whole US customs treating you like crap everytime you go to reenenter the country gets old after a while. It only took 10 minutes to get through. Anyways I drove Alt US 20 to NY 36, then NY 36 to I-390. I guess NY 15 is basically the same thing as US 15. I just followed the signs for it until I got to the real US 15. US 15 is also the famously hated I-99 on the NY side. On the PA side there are signs that read Future I-99 Corridor. Once I got to Williamsport I took I-180 to I-80 and I'm staying the night in Danville. Once again it rained all day. Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny thankfully.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

SignGeek101

Quote from: US 41 on July 07, 2015, 08:51:22 PM
The stripes in the road are not very bright and there are absolutely no reflectors in the road.

Were these what you were looking for?

https://goo.gl/maps/ybgZy

US 41

Quote from: SignGeek101 on July 10, 2015, 11:05:10 AM
Quote from: US 41 on July 07, 2015, 08:51:22 PM
The stripes in the road are not very bright and there are absolutely no reflectors in the road.

Were these what you were looking for?

https://goo.gl/maps/ybgZy

Yes. There were none of these on any of the highways I drove on.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The last part of my trip was yesterday (Washington DC - Terre Haute, IN). I drove Alt 40 / US 40 from Hagerstown to Colombus. I probably only drove 30 miles of interstate between those two cities. As you can guess I got home really late.

My car did great on the long trip. I got about 36 mpg the whole trip. I feel pretty comfortable taking my car to Cd. Chihuahua when I go.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.