News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New MD-851 Signage?

Started by tckma, March 09, 2016, 03:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tckma

There are two new BGS assemblies along northbound and southbound MD-32 in Howard County (near the Carroll County line) indicating MD-851.  These went up sometime within the last week.  MD-851 was (I though) a secret route number.  I don't get into Sykesville much.  Does anyone know if they're posting reassurance markers along 851 itself?

Was this signage a mistake?

TheOneKEA

I doubt it's a mistake. That road improvement project along MD 32 was a county project versus an SHA project so it's possible that an overly thorough sign contracting official checked the HLR, found that West Friendship Road was MD 851 and included signage for the route in the project.

If signage for MD 851 shows up at its northern terminus then I suspect this theory isn't accurate.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: TheOneKEA on March 10, 2016, 07:18:22 AM
I doubt it's a mistake. That road improvement project along MD 32 was a county project versus an SHA project so it's possible that an overly thorough sign contracting official checked the HLR, found that West Friendship Road was MD 851 and included signage for the route in the project.

If signage for MD 851 shows up at its northern terminus then I suspect this theory isn't accurate.

Th HLR has never explicitly stated that a route number is "secret" (consider the federal part of the Baltimore-Washington Parkway, "secretly" designated Md. 295, but the National Park Service never signs route numbers on its parkways (though IMO it should)). 

Same with the George Washington Memorial Parkway in Virginia, "secretly" designated as secondary route 90005, but I have never seen any designation of same on a sign. IMO, it ought to be designated primary route 400 to be consistent with Washington Street in Alexandria.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

The Ghostbuster

I just checked the "notorious" Google Maps, and it does show a MD-851 shield on the map.

ixnay

I never understood why "secret" route numbers should be withheld from public notification and signage.  What do governments gain from doing so (besides saving money on signs not put up)?

ixnay

tckma

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 10, 2016, 04:02:39 PM
I just checked the "notorious" Google Maps, and it does show a MD-851 shield on the map.

Yes, but there's no GMSV view on that road to support that it's actually signposted as a Maryland state route.

tckma

Quote from: ixnay on March 10, 2016, 06:47:57 PM
I never understood why "secret" route numbers should be withheld from public notification and signage.  What do governments gain from doing so (besides saving money on signs not put up)?

ixnay

I think it's because it's confusing to the general traveler.  Example: MD-911 -- why signpost this at all?  The entire route is a single city block long, yet it is fully signposted.  Another example: MD-940 -- Although this is only signposted in one direction as the ramp from MD-140 to Owings Mills Blvd, it runs along Owings Mills Blvd from Red Run Blvd to that ramp, then turns down that ramp to MD-140.  What is that about?  Why not follow Owings Mills Blvd?  If this was meant as an access route from I-795 to MD-140, why is it not signposted "To MD-140" at all?  They've signposted it "To I-795" fully in the opposite direction.

Also, a lot of signposted state routes, at least here in Maryland, serve as pointless parallel roadways, useful only when the main one is closed, that get created when a state route is relocated.  Consider MD-832 and its proximity to MD-140, MD-800 and its proximity to MD-75, and (wait for it) MD-851 and its proximity to MD-32.  I know there's also an 800-series route parallel to MD-97 from the vicinity of MD-26 heading up toward Westminster, but I forget the number at the moment as it isn't signposted (and probably doesn't need to be).

I don't know.  "Secret" routes defy logic.

Mapmikey

In a state like Maryland where as far as I know the state only maintains the primary system, there may be certain roads the state wants to maintain so they need an inventory number.  If the roadway is not particularly useful for navigation somewhere, signing it may not be a priority or even desirable.

Plus in Maryland, some of the secret routes are suffix routes of posted routes.  The one "error" in posting a secret route might be the posting of MD 835A.

In states where they maintain the secondary systems as well, it isn't necessary to keep a primary number on a bypassed or otherwise non-useful stub off a primary highway.

My 2 cents

Mike

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Mapmikey on March 10, 2016, 09:21:19 PM
In a state like Maryland where as far as I know the state only maintains the primary system, there may be certain roads the state wants to maintain so they need an inventory number.  If the roadway is not particularly useful for navigation somewhere, signing it may not be a priority or even desirable.

Plus in Maryland, some of the secret routes are suffix routes of posted routes.  The one "error" in posting a secret route might be the posting of MD 835A.

I believe someone found a Md. 4B someplace in Calvert County.

Though IMO the vast majoroty of those suffixed routes should not be signed.

Quote from: Mapmikey on March 10, 2016, 09:21:19 PM
In states where they maintain the secondary systems as well, it isn't necessary to keep a primary number on a bypassed or otherwise non-useful stub off a primary highway.

My 2 cents

Mike

Agreed.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Alps

A fair number of NYS secret routes ought to have a posted number. Anything that's not just frontage roads or a short connector.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Alps on March 11, 2016, 12:37:58 AM
A fair number of NYS secret routes ought to have a posted number. Anything that's not just frontage roads or a short connector.

Agreed.  An example of that is N.Y. 24 in Queens, which apparently is not signed because of neighborhood NIMBYism.

TheOneKEA

I passed through Sykesville several weeks ago and at this time, MD 851 is only signed on MD 32 itself at the intersection in Howard County. There is no signage on MD 851 itself, nor any signage at the intersection with MD 32 in Carroll County.

There is an active project on the SHA portal for a streetscape reconstruction of MD 851, so signage may be added at that time.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.