News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Virginia receives preliminary approval to toll I-95

Started by froggie, September 19, 2011, 12:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

The Governor's office is announcing that Virginia has received preliminary approval from FHWA to put tolls on I-95 under the Interstate Reconstruction and Rehabilitation Pilot Program.  As expected, the state requested and received permission to drop its earlier plan to toll I-81, and will now instead toll I-95.

Since this is a conversion of an existing slot, there's still one slot left for North Carolina to try with I-95, or for Pennsylvania to try again with I-80.

WillWeaverRVA

It's going to be remarkably easy to shunpike on I-95 unless the governor plans to demolish some interchanges to enforce the tolls... (of course, seeing as the governor completely ignored the opposition to tolling I-95, I doubt he really gives a crap)
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Stephane Dumas

But what if the toll was for some ETL (Express toll lanes) system or a HOT system?

NE2

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on September 19, 2011, 04:43:17 PM
But what if the toll was for some ETL (Express toll lanes) system or a HOT system?
That's not what this program is.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hbelkins

What section do they plan to toll? Richmond-to-DC, which probably has the highest percentage of in-state drivers, or NC-to-Petersburg, which probably has more out-of-state traffic?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: hbelkins on September 19, 2011, 07:47:28 PM
What section do they plan to toll? Richmond-to-DC, which probably has the highest percentage of in-state drivers, or NC-to-Petersburg, which probably has more out-of-state traffic?

I think the original plan involved tolling I-95 near the NC/VA border due to it having a higher percentage of truck traffic than other parts of I-95. Of course, they could also put tolls back on the Richmond-Petersburg Turnpike (which would likely result in people from Richmond declaring war on VDOT)...
Will Weaver

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Mapmikey

Virginia's Secretary of Transportation is quoted in a WTOP article http://www.wtop.com/?nid=41&sid=2552332 saying the tolled portion would be from Fredericksburg southward.

With only a $2 total toll envisioned, that probably just means a toll booth at each end.  About the best they could do is make shunpiking aggravating by putting the southern booth for traffic in either direction between Exit 8 and Exit 11 (forces shunpikers to drive through Emporia and S. Emporia and their 25 mph speed limits).

On the Fredericksburg end about the best you could do is between exits 126 and 130.  Any further south and it is extremely easy to use US 1 or VA 2 as workarounds....

Mapmikey

hbelkins

Your average New Englander is not going to go to great lengths to "shunpike" on their way to Florida. For trucks, I would advocate banning them from the "shunpike" routes or putting some physical barrier up to prevent the use of alternate routes.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Mapmikey

Through trucks are already prohibited through Emporia on both US 58 Business and US 301.

Restricting trucks on the Fredericksburg end would be harder IMO.

I would think most long-trip passers through probably would suck it up and pay the toll.  On the other hand, the Wash Post regularly runs articles on how to efficiently avoid the I-95 toll booth in Delaware, so there must be a shunpike demand out there...

Apparently at least one trucking group is already protesting and wants the gas tax raised instead...

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: Mapmikey on September 20, 2011, 08:42:19 PM
Apparently at least one trucking group is already protesting and wants the gas tax raised instead...

Yeah, because that wouldn't affect them at all.  :-/
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

1995hoo

Quote from: Mapmikey on September 20, 2011, 07:21:18 AM

On the Fredericksburg end about the best you could do is between exits 126 and 130.  Any further south and it is extremely easy to use US 1 or VA 2 as workarounds....

It's still pretty easy to use US-1 as a bypass of the part between Exits 126 and 130, although certainly there are a lot of lights on US-1 around there. (Technically I suppose it's US-1 Alternate, as the official US-1 goes through downtown Fredericksburg, but I think most people just regard the alternate as the main US-1 route.) I wonder if putting it between 130 and 133 would make more sense, assuming it could be fit into that stretch what with the southbound rest area and the crossing of the Rappahannock. While you could still use US-1 to bypass the toll, it would be a hassle because the light at the corner of US-17 and US-1 in Falmouth is a pain in the arse, a really long light. I'd probably pay the toll to avoid that stupid light.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

froggie

Quote(Technically I suppose it's US-1 Alternate, as the official US-1 goes through downtown Fredericksburg, but I think most people just regard the alternate as the main US-1 route.)

Hasn't been that way in 40 years.  CTB moved mainline US 1 onto its existing route (the old ALT route) and made the Business Route downtown in 1971.

QuoteI wonder if putting it between 130 and 133 would make more sense, assuming it could be fit into that stretch what with the southbound rest area and the crossing of the Rappahannock.

It's a tight fit and would require additional right-of-way between the Cowan Blvd and Fall Hill Ave overpasses, but it's doable.  However, rest area traffic would have to use the "cash lanes".

If the goal is to minimize the potential for shunpiking, then here's a better idea:  considering that the plans for the HO/T lanes will take up the median down to Massaponax (south of Exit 126), keep the mainline toll plaza between 126 and 130 where there's a wider ROW available, build C/D roads at the interchanges at VA 3 and US 17 (one already exists northbound at 17), and toll the ramps to/from the north at VA 3, US 17, and Centerport Pkwy.  This would "ensure" that any shunpikes would have a lengthy (about 15 miles) trip through the stoplights on US 1.

1995hoo

Didn't know that about the alternate thing because the sign just south of the bridge over the river on the southbound side still says Alternate–at least, as of September 3 it did.

Mapmikey

That US 1 ALT BGS assembly is one of the oldest remaining in Virginia...keep waiting for it to be replaced but it is still there.  And technically all 4 route designations on it are incorrect.  This has been the only US 1 ALT posting up back to at least 1995.  There are also erroneous US 17 Bypass signs on US 1 in the VA 3 vicinity.

While the last couple ideas cited would make shunpiking quite difficult, they don't meet the criteria of being south of Fredericksburg.  My hunch is that they don't want to snag Northern Va commuters with either the toll or potentially the traffic delays caused by a toll booth.  Or another possibility is that they don't want to use the proceeds to work on 95 north of Fredericksburg which is under study for HOT/HOV expansion.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Mapmikey on September 22, 2011, 08:50:32 PM
That US 1 ALT BGS assembly is one of the oldest remaining in Virginia...

got a photo? 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 22, 2011, 09:31:24 PM

got a photo? 
Not so great, but it's there: www.alpsroads.net/roads/va/us_1/s1b.jpg (cut and paste link, don't click through)

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 22, 2011, 09:31:24 PM

got a photo?  

From 2008, but it'll do:

I have a newer and better photo of this, but I need to find it and upload it.
Will Weaver

agentsteel53

jake@aaroads.com

1995hoo

Mapmikey

Neither of the pictures show it well but those letters are not painted...they are individual tile(?) letters and were apparently what Virginia used as its "button copy" decades ago and were common through the Commonwealth.

I go to that gas station all the time...I should take a close-up picture from right underneath...

agentsteel53

Quote from: Mapmikey on September 23, 2011, 10:21:58 AM
Neither of the pictures show it well but those letters are not painted...they are individual tile(?) letters and were apparently what Virginia used as its "button copy" decades ago and were common through the Commonwealth.

I go to that gas station all the time...I should take a close-up picture from right underneath...

as far as I know, VA never used button copy.  glass cateyes, yes, back in the day, but as far as I know, no Stimsonite - neither in button-copy form, nor in signs with the holes drilled out from the primary sign plane.

I believe the letter elements are simply extruded aluminum (similar to button copy letters) but instead of holes being drilled, they are covered in Scotchlite.  I have a photo of such a sample letter somewhere.  Kansas used them a lot as well.  they afford the flexibility of demountable signage when it comes time to reuse and recycle... while, they are less expensive than button copy because sheeting is cheaper than drilling holes and stuffing in discrete reflectors.  that said, it isn't as durable as button copy.

jake@aaroads.com

Mapmikey

I saw an article in the Fredericksburg paper today that says clearly that tolls cannot be charged on 95 north of Exit 126 due to the HOT lane agreements already in place...

There was true button copy signage on the Powhite Pkwy between the James River and VA 146 that was replaced in the last couple years.  Someone in another discussion surmised that VDOT wasn't the orignator of these BGS assemblies

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Mapmikey on September 23, 2011, 10:21:58 AM

This photo does.

Will Weaver

Sykotyk

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on September 22, 2011, 11:00:44 AM
Quote from: Mapmikey on September 20, 2011, 08:42:19 PM

Yeah, because that wouldn't affect them at all.  :-/

Actually, that was probably just ignorance on the part of the person reporting 'fuel tax' to 'gas tax' fogetting that trucks run on diesel instead of gas.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.