News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Interstate 95 signing work

Started by roadman, March 06, 2012, 07:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadyjay

So, with the opening of this interchange, I'm guessing MassDOT wants motorists to take the new Exit 25 to reach the "Route 128 Station".  That seems to reason that any reconstruction of the I-95/I-93-128 interchange would involve a flyover coming in to the left at some point near the present University Ave exit on I-95/128 North. 

ConnDOT recently added a 2-lane left exit flyover on I-91 to reach the Charter Oak Bridge in Hartford... I wonder if something similar could be snuck in, coming in on the left side of 128, shifting the existing 4 lanes over to the right to accomodate such a ramp.  The farthest lane right could become an "Exit only" ramp for University Ave/present Route 128 Station exit.  Certainly leaves the door open for such a configuration, and with this ramp open, there wouldn't be a need for I-95 North traffic to access University Ave via that exit... instead, that traffic could take this new exit.

But that's all probably several years away, given the present big ticket interchange items ongoing (I-90/I-495, I-90/Allston Viaduct, etc).

southshore720

Quote from: shadyjay on December 09, 2023, 09:06:46 PM
So, with the opening of this interchange, I'm guessing MassDOT wants motorists to take the new Exit 25 to reach the "Route 128 Station".  That seems to reason that any reconstruction of the I-95/I-93-128 interchange would involve a flyover coming in to the left at some point near the present University Ave exit on I-95/128 North. 

ConnDOT recently added a 2-lane left exit flyover on I-91 to reach the Charter Oak Bridge in Hartford... I wonder if something similar could be snuck in, coming in on the left side of 128, shifting the existing 4 lanes over to the right to accomodate such a ramp.  The farthest lane right could become an "Exit only" ramp for University Ave/present Route 128 Station exit.  Certainly leaves the door open for such a configuration, and with this ramp open, there wouldn't be a need for I-95 North traffic to access University Ave via that exit... instead, that traffic could take this new exit.

But that's all probably several years away, given the present big ticket interchange items ongoing (I-90/I-495, I-90/Allston Viaduct, etc).

Many have been concerned that Dedham St./University Ave. are going to be clogged due to people wanting to avoid the 93/95 interchange.  I'm sure people will try it...until they realize that the gauntlet of traffic lights (that favor the plaza) on University Ave. does not make this a huge time saver!

Ted$8roadFan

I'm sure some people heading north on 95 will use Exit 25 to go to the train station. But the traffic on Dedham Street will likely grow as some use the exit to avoid the congestion at the 95N to 95N loop ramp, which is getting worse. Between the lights and the growing number of businesses in the area (hello, Topgolf), it may be easier to stay on 95.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.