News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Why do SO many people hate snow?

Started by Interstate 69 Fan, December 15, 2017, 09:58:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete from Boston

Quote from: roadguy2 on December 31, 2017, 06:58:57 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on December 31, 2017, 04:36:53 PM
Quote from: roadguy2 on December 25, 2017, 01:59:01 AM
Quote from: Hurricane Rex on December 25, 2017, 01:54:59 AM
Quote from: 1 on December 24, 2017, 12:39:46 PM
Quote from: US71 on December 24, 2017, 11:59:31 AM
My problem is people who don't know how to drive in snow.

In most of the southeastern United States, many people don't know how to drive in snow, so the region shuts down.

One could argue that about the west coast as well.

In those areas, the South and southeast in particular, they don't have any snow removal equipment, and no one has front or 4 wheel drive.

Here in Salt Lake City, anyone who's a Utah native knows how to drive in snow. The problem is the SoCal transplants who don't understand that if the road is white, it's not going to have as much traction.

I suspect you don't drive. Nearly all mainstream passenger cars are front wheel drive.

Actually, I do drive. I was exaggerating about no one having front wheel drive. But as J N Winkler stated upthread, pickup trucks and luxury sedans are often RWD, unless you specifically get a front or 4 wheel option. But if you live in the south, you probably wouldn't see a need do that.

Sure, but I think the bulk of passenger vehicles these days are front wheel drive. Not sure about down south, but all wheel drive sure is getting common up in New England.

silverback1065

it was 13 degrees here this morning in indy, i hate winter!  :angry:

jwolfer

Quote from: roadguy2 on December 31, 2017, 06:58:57 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on December 31, 2017, 04:36:53 PM
Quote from: roadguy2 on December 25, 2017, 01:59:01 AM
Quote from: Hurricane Rex on December 25, 2017, 01:54:59 AM
Quote from: 1 on December 24, 2017, 12:39:46 PM
Quote from: US71 on December 24, 2017, 11:59:31 AM
My problem is people who don't know how to drive in snow.

In most of the southeastern United States, many people don't know how to drive in snow, so the region shuts down.

One could argue that about the west coast as well.

In those areas, the South and southeast in particular, they don't have any snow removal equipment, and no one has front or 4 wheel drive.

Here in Salt Lake City, anyone who's a Utah native knows how to drive in snow. The problem is the SoCal transplants who don't understand that if the road is white, it's not going to have as much traction.

I suspect you don't drive. Nearly all mainstream passenger cars are front wheel drive.

Actually, I do drive. I was exaggerating about no one having front wheel drive. But as J N Winkler stated upthread, pickup trucks and luxury sedans are often RWD, unless you specifically get a front or 4 wheel option. But if you live in the south, you probably wouldn't see a need do that.
Subaru only comes with all wheel drive.  So every one sold is 4wd and they are more popular in the South now.

Lots of people have 4 WD for off road, mud, dirt roads, heavy rain etc.  As I have written before  4WD is somewhat of a status symbol

Z981

slorydn1

Well, according to the NWS, I am fixin to get my bi-yearly dose of snow tomorrow, to wit:

...WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY MORNING
THROUGH THURSDAY MORNING...

* WHAT...Heavy mixed precipitation possible. Plan on difficult
  travel conditions. Total snow accumulations of 2 to 4 inches
  and ice accumulations of up to one tenth of an inch are
  possible.

* WHERE...Portions of eastern North Carolina.

* WHEN...From Wednesday morning through Thursday morning.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Significant reductions in visibility are
  possible.

Luckily for once my weird work schedule will be in my favor and I will be off Wednesday and Thursday.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on December 15, 2017, 11:41:59 AM
Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on December 15, 2017, 09:58:18 AM
I mean, sure snow can disrupt and potentially cause you a lot of cash on your way to work, but other than that, why? Personally, I love snow.

Me too. The more the merrier in my opinion. EXCEPT MY CITY DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO DRIVE IN IT!!!!!  :pan: :pan: :pan: :pan: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: 1 inch and the entire city virtually shuts down
Consider having 3 inches or more on the ground for the past week (ever since Christmas Eve), and then starts snowing today, making it 7 inches. Gotta love lake effect snow.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

Roadgeekteen

Well, if you are in the northeast, you should be celebrating right now.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

US 89

Can we out west steal some of your snow? Our snowpack and ski areas are struggling...

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: roadguy2 on January 03, 2018, 11:02:01 PM
Can we out west steal some of your snow? Our snowpack and ski areas are struggling...
Take only a few inches, I don't want school.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 03, 2018, 11:07:46 PM

If you don't want school, can we offer you some of our ice as schools tend to hate that more than snow?  :bigass:
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on January 04, 2018, 01:40:33 AM

If you don't want school, can we offer you some of our ice as schools tend to hate that more than snow?  :bigass:
No. I hate being outside with ice on the ground.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 04, 2018, 03:45:08 PM

This ain't the winter for you, kid. The ice is going to stick around here a long, long time.

Flint1979

Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 04, 2018, 05:46:25 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 04, 2018, 03:45:08 PM

This ain't the winter for you, kid. The ice is going to stick around here a long, long time.
I use to love having ice on the ground. Pond hockey is the best.

webny99

Personally, I like snow. Winter is not complete without it, and it is truly stunning, especially on sunny days after a big snowfall

The problem with snow is the impact it has on roads and driveways. I have to waste time with snow removal (and driving slower) that I could otherwise spend roadgeeking.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: webny99 on January 06, 2018, 03:06:27 PM
Personally, I like snow. Winter is not complete without it, and it is truly stunning, especially on sunny days after a big snowfall

The problem with snow is the impact it has on roads and driveways. I have to waste time with snow removal (and driving slower) that I could otherwise spend roadgeeking.
I would like it if I never had to go outside.

kphoger

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 06, 2018, 08:57:51 PM

I love going out in it.  If I don't get to go drive around in it, then I feel like I wasted an opportunity.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: kphoger on January 08, 2018, 01:34:04 PM

I love going out in it.  If I don't get to go drive around in it, then I feel like I wasted an opportunity.

Not only that, but us smug passive-aggressive northerners would have nothing to boast and complain about without it!

Roadgeekteen

I hate that it often gets my shoes wet.

kkt

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 08, 2018, 08:59:03 PM

You need some boots.

kphoger

Quote from: kkt on January 08, 2018, 10:41:24 PM

You need some boots.

Or floorboards.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: kphoger on January 09, 2018, 01:26:36 PM
Quote from: kkt on January 08, 2018, 10:41:24 PM

You need some boots.
Or floorboards.

Maybe he's got (well, his parents have, I guess) one of those Flintstones style cars that are foot-powered.

Pete from Boston

My, you're a cheerful sort.

At a certain point I realized there are too many months of winter to concede to it as a source of misery.  I know it's a common teenage hobby to turn all twelve months into a source of misery, but I think most folks eventually find bigger fish to fry than the weather.

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 09, 2018, 04:59:09 PM

My, you're a cheerful sort.

At a certain point I realized there are too many months of winter to concede to it as a source of misery.  I know it's a common teenage hobby to turn all twelve months into a source of misery, but I think most folks eventually find bigger fish to fry than the weather.
I'm a teenager but I try to embrace every moment I can. That can be difficult from time to time. Other teens will agree with me on this.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

J N Winkler

I actually like shoveling snow, in lifts of up to three inches, as long as I can get to it before cars go between the garage and the street and pack the snow beneath their tire treads.  However, I doubt I will get to do that this winter, though the present warming spell is due to end tonight and there is snow in the forecast for tomorrow.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on January 10, 2018, 11:36:56 AM
I actually like shoveling snow, in lifts of up to three inches, as long as I can get to it before cars go between the garage and the street and pack the snow beneath their tire treads.  However, I doubt I will get to do that this winter, though the present warming spell is due to end tonight and there is snow in the forecast for tomorrow.

Me too.  And I like clearing the snow off the car even better.  I don't know what it is about it, but I enjoy it.
Male pronouns, please.

triplemultiplex

It is very satisfying to accomplish the simple goal of moving some snow from one place to another.  I like the look of a freshly shoveled walkway.  Plus it's a productive way to exercise in the winter.  You really work some interesting muscle combinations.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.