News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Texas

Started by roadman65, October 03, 2013, 08:59:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I see we have the Lone Star State broken up in to categories but no general page, so I am creating one.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8248/8503946982_86eaf222f9_z.jpg

I was often wondering about FM and RM roads throughout the largest 48 state.  I have always see them signed in three and even four digit numbers, but I never saw one like this one in two digits as I assumed they were mainly for primary highway use.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

bassoon1986

Oh there's definitely 1 and 2 digit FM roads across Texas. Here's one from the AARoads Texas guide. It's I-20 west of Ft. Worth. Also FM 9 crosses I-20 at the TX/LA line in Waskom.

https://www.aaroads.com/texas/texas020/i-020_wb_exit_380_03.jpg

agentsteel53

every classification of road in Texas starts at 1.

loop 1 is the MoPac expressway in Austin.

ranch road 1 is Lyndon B Johnson's ranch.  not sure what it was before (I am quite certain) he, or someone close to him, pulled some strings.

state road 1 was eliminated in bits and pieces due to being replaced by US highways 80 (El Paso to Dallas) and 67 (Dallas to Texarkana).

NASA 1 goes to Johnson Space Center.  there are no other NASA roads.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

wxfree

Numbers of each system are independent, so they run through the same numbers.  FM/RMs go to the highest number, currently 3541.

Farm-to-Market and Ranch-to-Market are a single system and share a number pool (there won't be FM 10 and RM 10).

Loops and spurs, a subcategory of state highways, are a single system and share a number pool, separate from state highways.  Park roads, a subcategory of the loop/spur system, are separate.  Recreational roads are also separate.  There's SH 10, FM 10, PR 10, Rec Road 10, and Spur (SS) 10, but not Loop (SL) 10.

The exception is FM/RM spurs.  Those are numbered the same as the FM or RM they spur from.  They're signed with the regular spur sign, but are designated along with the parent route, not separately.

Ranch Road 1 and NASA Road 1 are the only ones of their type.  As far as I'm aware, Beltway 8 is a custom designation of Loop 8 and is the only one of its kind.

Business routes of state highways, US routes, or Interstate highways are all state highways.  Each is signed and numbered according to its parent route.  I think FM/RM business routes stay on the FM/RM system. 

There's also a mysterious PASS (Principle Arterial State System) category.  They're not of interest to drivers; I've never seen one signed.  I've only seen them on official maps and descriptions.  Most of them follow urban city streets, but a few follow urban on-system roads.  I assume they get some kind of supplementary state funding.  They're numbered differently, based on location, from the 200s in the Fort Worth area to the 2400s in the El Paso area.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

NE2

There's both FM 1 (the first FM road, designated in 1941) and the special Ranch Road 1 (designated in 1963 along old US 290 and signed as if it were RM 1).
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

Quote from: wxfree on October 03, 2013, 01:24:18 PM
There's also a mysterious PASS (Principle Arterial State System) category.  They're not of interest to drivers; I've never seen one signed.  I've only seen them on official maps and descriptions.  Most of them follow urban city streets, but a few follow urban on-system roads.  I assume they get some kind of supplementary state funding.  They're numbered differently, based on location, from the 200s in the Fort Worth area to the 2400s in the El Paso area.

sounds like a state variant of the NHS.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

txstateends

http://www.nbcdfw.com/traffic/stories/TxDOT-Tests-Plastic-Sound-Barrier-Along-I-30-in-Dallas-226245701.html

This is along I-30 west of downtown, near the Sylvan Ave. exit.  It resembles the barrier used between the ice and the seats at a hockey game.  Nearby residents are hopeful that this arrangement works to reduce highway noise in the area.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

KEVIN_224

http://www.nbcdfw.com/video/#!/news/local/Denton-County-Votes-to-Remodel-I-35E/220422911

I also noticed this story on the KXAS-TV website, after reading the above article. :)

Road Hog

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on October 05, 2013, 09:25:14 PM
http://www.nbcdfw.com/video/#!/news/local/Denton-County-Votes-to-Remodel-I-35E/220422911

I also noticed this story on the KXAS-TV website, after reading the above article. :)

Thereby making I-35E a flipping mess for the next decade. This should've been done 15 years ago.

brownpelican

Looks like a replacement bridge over the Clear Fork Trinity River in downtown Fort Worth will be ready this week for traffic...West Seventh Street to be exact.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/10/06/5225100/west-seventh-street-bridge-likely.html?rh=1

txstateends

Scott5114

Quote from: Road Hog on October 07, 2013, 08:41:16 AM
Quote from: KEVIN_224 on October 05, 2013, 09:25:14 PM

Thereby making I-35E a flipping mess for the next decade. This should've been done 15 years ago.

I was in Dallas at rush hour recently and this segment of highway was really backed up. It looks way past its sell-by date, so I'm glad that it's being addressed.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

txstateends

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/2013/10/txdot_falling_chunks_of_concre.php

TxDOT is working on patching up holes that have formed on the I-20 bridge over Houston School Road in southern Dallas.  Chunks of concrete started falling from the bridge onto Houston School Road recently, but TxDOT doesn't seem overly concerned...even though I-20 WB traffic was diverted to the service road during the repairs.

Big John

^^ The article has an alarming nonchalant view from TxDOT.  That is a hazard and the bridge needs a new deck if concrete chunks are falling below and safety netting underneath until the deck is rebuilt.  The superstructure may still be safe though as TxDOT asserts.

Brian556

QuoteOrthopedic Associates

I used to work at TxDot. They probably seem nonchalant because this happens way more frequently than most people realize.
Heck, before it was replaced in the mid-2000's, the I-35 bridges over US 380 (built 1959) required almost weekly repairs of deck holes. On one occasion, concrete broke out he windshields of vehicles driving below it. The bridges were allowed to remain in this condition for years despite the danger.

Once a very large hole opened up on the deck of the US 377 Denton Creek bridge (Roanoke area). The cops had to guard it till we could get there.

Grzrd

This article reports that the Texas Transportation Commission recently approved funding to advance the second causeway to South Padre Island and Outer Parkway projects:

The Texas Transportation Commission Thursday approved two loans for the Cameron County Regional Mobility Authority for the second causeway and outer parkway projects.
The commission approved a $5 million financial assistance request from the CCRMA for pre-development environmental studies, design, legal services and other qualified development costs for the Outer Parkway project, which is a planned toll road beginning at Interstate 69, formerly called Expressway 77, north of Harlingen and stretching east, connecting with the planned second causeway.
Secondly, the commission approved an additional $5.1 million CCRMA request for funds that will be used to continue the study and development of the Second Causeway Project ....
CCRMA coordinator Pete Sepulveda Jr. .... "They are two different projects, but the funds will allow us to review and complete the environmental process in the same timeframe for clearance on the causeway,"  Sepulveda said. "The two different projects go hand in hand."

This map shows the relationship between the two projects:

kinupanda

There's also a mysterious PASS (Principle Arterial State System) category.  They're not of interest to drivers; I've never seen one signed.
The only one I've ever seen signed is along I-35: PASS Route 1502 (Wurzbach Pkwy.) is signed at Exit 169. It's shown on the BGSes using the standard white rectangle with "P.A." on top. I'm not sure what the motivation is for this. There's no standalone signage anywhere else. I don't have a pic at the moment, but Google Street View shows the blank space where the shield is now.

Greybear

Numbers of each system are independent, so they run through the same numbers.  FM/RMs go to the highest number, currently 3541.

Farm-to-Market and Ranch-to-Market are a single system and share a number pool (there won't be FM 10 and RM 10).

Loops and spurs, a subcategory of state highways, are a single system and share a number pool, separate from state highways.  Park roads, a subcategory of the loop/spur system, are separate.  Recreational roads are also separate.  There's SH 10, FM 10, PR 10, Rec Road 10, and Spur (SS) 10, but not Loop (SL) 10.

The exception is FM/RM spurs.  Those are numbered the same as the FM or RM they spur from.  They're signed with the regular spur sign, but are designated along with the parent route, not separately.

Ranch Road 1 and NASA Road 1 are the only ones of their type.  As far as I'm aware, Beltway 8 is a custom designation of Loop 8 and is the only one of its kind.

Business routes of state highways, US routes, or Interstate highways are all state highways.  Each is signed and numbered according to its parent route.  I think FM/RM business routes stay on the FM/RM system. 

I have to correct you on the highest FM/RM number.  The current highest is actually FM 3549, which is located in Rockwall County. 

NE2

Quote from: Greybear on November 04, 2013, 01:13:09 PM
I have to correct you on the highest FM/RM number.  The current highest is actually FM 3549, which is located in Rockwall County. 
I don't have to correct you but it makes my loins tingle most pleasantly. There's a FM 3550 and 3551: http://www.dot.state.tx.us/tpp/hwy/fm3500/fm3550.htm http://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/adm/2010/documents/minute_orders/apr29/14e2.pdf

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Greybear

My apologies, my good man.

wxfree

Thank you for that corrected information.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

txstateends

Fort Worth: West 7th Street bridge now re-open

http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/11/15/5341302/west-seventh-street-bridges-grand.html

The bridge, west of downtown, has been closed for months for a redo.  Now it returns with these new concrete-framed arches along both sides and a wide sidewalk on the outside edge.  The arches were cast nearby at a staging spot, saving the trouble and expense of having them trucked in from elsewhere.  Inlaid lighting from each arch gives off a new glow at night.

Fireworks capped off the festivities.  The West 7th bridge spans the Clear Fork of the Trinity River.

Scott5114

Are the arches for any structural reason or just decoration?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

NE2

yakra

Meh, every bridge is the world's most superlative [insert set of very specific criteria here] bridge.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.