TX: US 81/287 Upgrades in Progress North of Fort Worth

Started by Brian556, September 10, 2016, 10:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

Looking at Google Maps, I am noticing a few grade separations under construction on US 81/287, and a check of TXDOT project tracker shows more in the works, including at FM 1810 in Decatur.

The separation at BUS US 81/287 on the south side of Decatur was just competed. Interestingly, they signed the BUS route as just BUSINESS 81, leaving off the 287 signs. While this is technically correct by the books, TxDOT has always signed it BUS 81/287. This one appears to have been installed by TxDOT since the project is not complete in this view: https://www.google.com/maps/@33.2037679,-97.565935,3a,15y,332.07h,87.64t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1st802j2mUNYxwvqpoiF7aiA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656. I'm wondering if they had a policy change on this. There is also a DO NOT ENTER sign facing traffic on a two-way roadway.https://www.google.com/maps/@33.2028881,-97.5671996,3a,75y,16.8h,84.05t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s6fUz78TP8iADn1g1qvEeGQ!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo1.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3D6fUz78TP8iADn1g1qvEeGQ%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D351.2901%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656

US 81/287 / BUS US 81(/287) interchange:
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.2040401,-97.5626982,1515m/data=!3m1!1e3

wxfree

I think that Do Not Enter sign is meant to apply to the frontage road.  It's right under the One Way sign.  It's at a right angle, which is unusual.  It's on a permanent post, not one of the temporary ones, so it would seem to be intentional.  I don't like the placement.  If they want a sign there, it should be a left turn prohibition sign.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

In_Correct

Are they trying to keep the current alignment through Decatur, or bypass it? If they are going to do a full upgrade they might as well bypass it so that there will be room for frontage roads. Currently there are a few businesses next to the highway that would have to be moved ... although some of those businesses wouldn't even lose parking lot space. It doesn't look like they have much left until the highway through Decatur is completely upgraded.  :)

The Do Not Enter sign is on the opposite side of the road, next to the lanes headed away from the bridge and between the off ramp & the bridge. It should probably be replaced with a No Left Turn sign, and a Wrong Way and Do Not Enter signs placed closer to the Off Ramp.

I think it is more efficient if they would make the lighter traffic roads go over the highway, not under it.

As for what to call it, they should probably just call it Highway 287. As far as I am concerned, Highway 81 currently ends in Bowie.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

Brian556

As far as I know, they are keeping the current alignment thru Decatur. I just cannot see them realigning it again. US 81 ends at I-35W in north Fort Worth. To me, I see no reason not to truncate it to Bowie to avoid the current unnecessary multiplex. Of course, 81 used to go all the way to Laredo. When they truncated it, they were trying to eliminate US highways that were concurrent with interstates, and that's probably why it got truncated to where it did.

Also worth noting, on GSV, I noted at US-81 only assembly for the main route at FM 1810. Also, they made FM 1810 right turn only at US 81/287 to improve safety until the grade separation could be built. There are now overhead flashing red lights in conjunction with a yield sign, which is wrong. Also, the median has stop signs, but looks it looks way too thin to have them. The US 81 assembly is behind the 18-wheeler, move around to see it.
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.2442184,-97.6051911,3a,54.7y,74.69h,94.88t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1spq9FAAYoed11jjKor8CEUQ!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo1.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3Dpq9FAAYoed11jjKor8CEUQ%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D57.261646%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656

texaskdog

txstateends

Quote from: texaskdog on September 11, 2016, 12:27:25 PM
Does 81 still need to be multiplexed on here? 

Most people I hear referencing the part between Fort Worth and Bowie just say 287 (not 81, or 81 and 287), so if conversation or my opinion meant anything to TxDOT (or AASHTO?), I'd say truncate 81 at Bowie.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

txstateends

Meanwhile, the new BUS US 81 exit looks nice, and was probably necessary with the way traffic is getting up that way.  From what I've heard, they can't do an FM 1810 exit soon enough.  The times I've seen it, it always has a line waiting to turn off to 1810, as well as a few trying to get on 287 from 1810.  I didn't realize 1810 was done now as right turn only onto 287; I guess that was as good a fix as any till they make the turnoff into a full exit.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

Bobby5280

Quote from: In_CorrectAre they trying to keep the current alignment through Decatur, or bypass it? If they are going to do a full upgrade they might as well bypass it so that there will be room for frontage roads. Currently there are a few businesses next to the highway that would have to be moved ... although some of those businesses wouldn't even lose parking lot space. It doesn't look like they have much left until the highway through Decatur is completely upgraded.

I think the intention, at least in the long term, is to upgrade US-287 to an Interstate quality facility completely through Decatur and perhaps do the same thing with US-380 as well. There is a lot of DFW related growth headed in the general direction of Decatur. And the interchange between US-287 and US-380 is a significant crossroads. TX DOT seems to be starting on the North and South ends of Decatur and then making the upgrade proceed inwards into town. The project involving FM-1810 seems fairly big.

The properties hugging the edge of US-287 just South of the US-380 interchange aren't major pieces of real estate. Some may get by just having their lots adjusted, but at least a few will have to be taken to make room for a full freeway upgrade. In the center of Decatur, if they could bulldoze America's Best Value inn on the West side of US-287 TX DOT might have room for a freeway upgrade with frontage roads between the Hale Ave exit and College Ave. exit. On the South side of Decatur there is a large car dealership standing it the way of a freeway upgrade. The dealer's lot would need to be reconfigured and a couple buildings relocated. Same goes for some industrial businesses on the other side of the road.

Decatur seems almost like a Breezewood of sorts. It's not going to be real easy punching a freeway upgrade through there. But TX DOT really needs to get after the project sooner than later before that corridor gets even more clogged with development.

splashflash

One at-grade crossing to be eliminated just south of Decatur, but new interchange not announced.

The original $40M project, with a new interchange at NRS Ranch Road and new frontage roads appears to be either drawn out beyond the originally planned two phases.  Moving the level crossing at CR 4228 south 1/2 mile to NRS Ranch Road is promised to improve safety with better site lines.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/nextdoor/decatur-and-new-fairview-construction-begins-this-week-on-a-project-to-relocate-the-us-81287-intersection-at-county-road-4228-just-south-of-decatur/ar-NDA5Y4jN4Z4Tk

abqtraveler

It would make sense to upgrade US-287 between I-35W and Wichita Falls to a full freeway, preferably to interstate standards. In the longer term, they should look further west and build bypasses around the remaining towns between Vernon and Amarillo, through which US-287 passes. At least to make the full length of 287 between Amarillo and Fort Worth non-stop and with a 75 mph speed limit, save for Wichita Falls.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

Bobby5280

Quote from: splashflashOne at-grade crossing to be eliminated just south of Decatur, but new interchange not announced.

Nothing to get excited about there. I recall seeing a plan to build a freeway exit at the FM-4228 intersection and another one a little farther South at FM-4421. It would have created about a 5 mile long section of freeway from the Bus-81 Exit on South. Now it looks like TX DOT is slow-walking those projects.

Honestly the non-freeway segments of US-287 between Rhome and the South side of Decatur would be easy to upgrade. It's just a matter of building out the frontage roads to cut off all the side road access to the US-287 main lanes. This should be considered "low hanging fruit" in terms of projects that need to get done in the DFW region.

Of course there's other crap that still needs to get "cleaned up" on US-287 between I-35W and the TX-114 interchange.

I'm also disappointed other projects on the books, such as the FM-1810 intersection with US-287 on the North side of Decatur, appear to be going absolutely nowhere. That location is a freaking mess. I always have to be pretty careful driving through there.

Quote from: abqtravelerIt would make sense to upgrade US-287 between I-35W and Wichita Falls to a full freeway, preferably to interstate standards. In the longer term, they should look further west and build bypasses around the remaining towns between Vernon and Amarillo, through which US-287 passes.

Decatur appears to be the toughest nut to crack as far as any aspirations go with upgrading the US-287 corridor between Fort Worth and Wichita Falls (or even Amarillo). If they get a freeway upgrade punched through that clutter in Decatur the upgrades farther Northwest would be easier to tackle. Aside from the FM-1810 mess the segment of US-287 going up to Alvord looks like it has enough ROW to fit a 4-lane freeway flanked by frontage roads. The rest of it going up to Wichita Falls looks pretty simple to upgrade. Bellevue would be a bit of a hurdle; I'd bet TX DOT could buy up property needed for ROW and go straight thru.

US-287 from I-44 West to Vernon is another segment that would be relatively easy to at least make 100% limited access. Much of it just involves extending the frontage roads. Some of the ramp designs at various exits look pretty outdated. That might get in the way of signing that portion as an Interstate.

Obviously the other towns farther Northwest would need new bypasses. Most of them wouldn't have to be very substantial since the towns have tended to grow to the North or South of US-287 and the BNSF line. Childress would probably be the longest bypass out of the bunch. Tiny towns like Goodlett and Hedley might be able to get away with upgrading the existing alignment straight through.

splashflash

Avondale Haslet Road to Progress Road upgrading of US 81/287 to have more public engagement

https://www.txdot.gov/projects/hearings-meetings/fort-worth/us81us-287-rhome.html

US 81/US 287 Rhome
Virtual public hearing with in-person option
Virtual: Tuesday May 16, 2023 at 5 p.m. through Friday, June 2, 2023 at 11:59 p.m.
In-person: Tuesday, May 16, 2023, 5 - 7 p.m.

This appears to be phase of a bigger project to upgrade US 287 to freeway standards.  Phase 1, south of Avondale Haslet to I-35W, already had two sets of public meetings, one last year and one in 2019.

A timeline does appear though, with construction to begin in 2026, but funding is needed.
Here is the description.

The proposed 10-mile project would reconstruct the US 81/US 287 main lanes from north of Pioneer Road to Avondale Haslet Road and reconstruct and add an additional main lane (three main lanes in each direction) south of Avondale-Haslet Road to the southern project limit. The proposed project also includes the construction, or reconstruction, and conversion of frontage roads to create a continuous one-way system within the project limits.

The frontage roads would include:

Two travel lanes on either side of US 81/US 287,
Left turn lanes at cross streets,
Adjacent shared use paths for bicycle and pedestrian accommodations within the project limits
The proposed project also includes new overpasses at County Road 4840 and Future Northstar Parkway, a new underpass at Ramhorn Hill Road, and new direct connectors at State Highway 114 East. Additionally, the proposed project would include operational improvements to existing cross streets, ramps, and auxiliary lanes. The proposed project is not currently funded and may be constructed in phases through break-out projects based on funding availability.

The proposed project would require approximately 16 acres of new right of way; however, no residential or non-residential displacements are anticipated at this time.

From an article, https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/public-meeting-to-be-held-on-proposed-us-81-us-287-project/ar-AA1b2EM0

"It would take the existing frontage roads (and) make sure that they're one way," says TxDOT spokeswoman Bethany Kurtz, "as well as add sections of frontage road where they don't have any."

This section is the second part of a mssive reconstruction project along U.S. 81/U.S. 287; the first part extends south of Avondale-Haslet Rd. to I-35W.

"It would also reconstruct and add an additional main lane south of Avondale-Haslet Road to the southern end of the project," says Kurtz.

$454 million - projected total cost

Bobby5280

That's a very long overdue project. I just hope there isn't any new development that could creep into the path between now and 2026 or whenever construction starts.

That area North and Northwest of Fort Worth is really blowing up with all sorts of new homes and other buildings. Before they're even done with this project on US-287 they'll have to start adding more lanes to US-287. I can see it needing to be a 3x3 configuration bare minimum between TX-114 and I-35W.

splashflash

New FM 1810/Bus US 81 interchange at US 81/287 ... In 2029, maybe

Shocking proportion of truck traffic.  $98M for project

"The proposed project would realign 1.6 miles of FM 1810, from west of CR 1170 to CR 1160, and 0.35 miles of BUS 81D, from CR 1160 to north of CR 2090. The project would also construct a new FM 1810/US 81/US 287 interchange with overpass bridges, new one-way frontage roads with sidewalks, and entrance and exit ramp connections along 2.11 miles of US 81/US 287, from CR 2195 to north of US 380. 

"Although additional right of way would be required, no residential or non-residential structures are anticipated to be displaced at this time.

https://www.txdot.gov/projects/hearings-meetings/fort-worth/2024/fm1810-widening-us81us-287-interchange-project-022224.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIHA3djelQQ

Bobby5280

$98 million for that?

Basically this new exit for FM-1810 would relocate the highway's intersection with US-287 about a mile North. The new exit would be built where CR-1160 intersects US-287. The roll plot PDF files indicate nothing will be done about the existing traffic signaled intersection of Old Chico Road with US-287. Yeah, it might be a flashing yellow signal for thru traffic on US-287. Still, the thing is a cluster****.

At least the chances are good US-287 will be upgraded to full Interstate quality from I-35E up to the TX-114 interchange in Rhome over the next few years. In the meantime the traffic situation in Decatur will continue to get more hectic.

splashflash

Quote from: Bobby5280 on February 27, 2024, 01:24:53 PM
$98 million for that?

The roll plot PDF files indicate nothing will be done about the existing traffic signaled intersection of Old Chico Road with US-287. Yeah, it might be a flashing yellow signal for thru traffic on US-287. Still, the thing is a cluster****.

The roll plot files focus on the relocated FM 1810 and BU 81D, but the narrative states that new one-way frontage roads would parallel US 81/287 from CR2195 to north of US 380.  Entrance and entrance exits seem to be mentioned, so my guess would be that cross-overs would be eliminated, rending US 81/287 essentially a freeway.

https://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot/get-involved/ftw/fm-1810/022224-project-meeting-map.pdf

BJ59

Have they started construction on any of the segment from I-35W to Avondale-Haslet Rd?

Bobby5280

As far as I can tell, no. There appears only to be plans in place and efforts ongoing at getting funding. The areas to the North and Northwest of Fort Worth are exploding in new growth. So, really, the various government agencies slow-walking this thing need to stop screwing around.

The main lanes pavement of US-287 immediately NW of I-35W looks like it has been just beat to shit. The amount of tar patching that has gone on with that pavement is legendary. Meanwhile there are all sorts of new condos and businesses and other shit getting built up around the old highway at a rapid pace.

Oh, but they did some fancy face-lifting work on some interchange ramps and surface street intersections through there. All sorts of pretty new roundabouts were built. Just no attention was spent on the US-287 main lanes.

This one news article says upgrades to US-287 between I-35E and Avondale-Haslet Road could start construction in 2026 (if they get the rest of the needed funding).
https://fortworthreport.org/2023/09/11/u-s-81-287-reconstruction-to-tackle-northwest-tarrant-county-population-boom/

Meanwhile another freeway upgrade project for US-287 is in the works from Avondale-Haslet Road up to Pioneer Road, which is just North of the TX-114 interchange.
https://www.wcmessenger.com/articles/proposed-improvements-to-u-s-81-287-could-begin-in-2026/

splashflash

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/north-texans-demand-road-improvements-on-wise-county-highway-after-musician-dies-in-crash/ar-BB1jZa73

Residents of a small town in North Texas are demanding that authorities improve safety measures
ion a Wise County highway after North Texas musician Jeff Taylor, 44, was killed in a car crash Saturday.

Alvord, Texas, residents who created a petition on change.org say the "negligence" of roadway engineering on U.S. Highway 81/287 is what led to Taylor's death.

Taylor's 2022 GMC Sierra collided with a semi-trailer truck on the highway crossover in Wise County, just seven miles north of Decatur, the Texas Department of Public Safety told Star-Telegram media partner WFAA-TV. There were no passengers in either vehicle at the time of the collision, according to WFAA.
According to the petitioners, Taylor is one of four people who have died at the location. The entrances and exits for the Punjabi Dhabba restaurant and truck stop at the crossover "have proven to be hazardous and life-threatening," residents said in the petition.

Bobby5280

Funny thing: there is no crossover directly in front of the Punjabi Dhabba restaurant next to US-287.
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.3147306,-97.6576728,3a,75y,234.62h,77.7t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sErE8U1vuSqTZZbK4wAnTng!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DErE8U1vuSqTZZbK4wAnTng%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D124.84636%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192?authuser=0&entry=ttu

The nearest crossover is the CR-1280/CR-2395 crossover about 1200' to the South.

Still, safety issues have to be getting worse as population growth and traffic counts continue to grow into that area. US-287 in this area is overdue for Interstate quality upgrades.

motorola870

Quote from: splashflash on March 17, 2024, 07:33:14 AM
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/north-texans-demand-road-improvements-on-wise-county-highway-after-musician-dies-in-crash/ar-BB1jZa73

Residents of a small town in North Texas are demanding that authorities improve safety measures
ion a Wise County highway after North Texas musician Jeff Taylor, 44, was killed in a car crash Saturday.

Alvord, Texas, residents who created a petition on change.org say the "negligence" of roadway engineering on U.S. Highway 81/287 is what led to Taylor's death.

Taylor's 2022 GMC Sierra collided with a semi-trailer truck on the highway crossover in Wise County, just seven miles north of Decatur, the Texas Department of Public Safety told Star-Telegram media partner WFAA-TV. There were no passengers in either vehicle at the time of the collision, according to WFAA.
According to the petitioners, Taylor is one of four people who have died at the location. The entrances and exits for the Punjabi Dhabba restaurant and truck stop at the crossover "have proven to be hazardous and life-threatening," residents said in the petition.
Not sure how it is negligence on TXDOT's part it met the standards when they widened US 81/287 to a 4 lane. Traffic counts have increased over the years due to population increase and traffic counts going up. Solution close the cutoffs and do Michigan left turns like they are doing on US287 between Mansfield and Midlothian? Tbh I personally would have that whole corridor between Amarillo and Fort Worth grade separated with bypasses and frontage roads where possible.

armadillo speedbump

That intersection is perfectly fine, if one is not in a hurry, intoxicated, or high.  The wide median provides a 60' haven for cross traffic between the nb lanes and the sb left turn lane (and vice-versa.)

And, no, traffic counts aren't even close to requiring upgrade to a freeway.  I've never encountered a slowdown in that rural stretch, unless 1 lane was closed for construction work.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.