News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Phoenix Area Highways

Started by swbrotha100, February 22, 2015, 07:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSR_317

Quote from: Mark68 on December 05, 2019, 11:04:14 AM
This whole discussion reminds me of the old Steven Wright joke about driving on a parkway and parking on a driveway...
Wasn't that the late, great George Carlin's bit?

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: jakeroot on December 06, 2019, 03:47:07 PM
Perhaps, yes. Just that the political climate (and geographic climate) makes expressway construction quicker, cheaper, and easier in Phoenix than almost anywhere else in the country.

Which of course explains why it's taken 35 years for all the freeways proposed in 1985 to be finished, most of the construction being in the last 20.  And why it took close to 15 years (completed in 1990) for I-10 to be completed from Buckeye into Phoenix.

There won't be any new freeways within the city limits of Phoenix, save for part of the Tres Rios Fwy (AZ 30), once the South Mountain Freeway (Loop 202) is completed next year.  AFAIK, all freeway construction within the city will be finished with those.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

Plutonic Panda

^^^^ is the possibility of US-60 freeway conversion NW a pipe dream?

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on December 09, 2019, 10:50:26 PM
^^^^ is the possibility of US-30 freeway conversion NW a pipe dream?

What?  Did you post this in the wrong forum?  US 30 doesn't exist in Arizona. 
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on December 09, 2019, 11:44:32 PM

oops I meant 60 not sure why I typed 30.

X99

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on December 09, 2019, 11:51:16 PM
Quote from: KeithE4Phx on December 09, 2019, 11:44:32 PM

oops I meant 60 not sure why I typed 30.
Can't blame autocorrect on a number.
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

Sonic99

^^^^ is the possibility of US-60 freeway conversion NW a pipe dream?

At this point, yes. Nothing inside of Wickenburg. Maybe a limited-access interchange here or there (similar to what's already inside 67th Ave), but other than that, no. I think the only thing on the radar that could be a factor for US 60 is the Northern Parkway extension bringing it inside the 101 loop to meet with Grand Ave/US 60. But that's not an upgrade to 60 itself, just tying it into the Parkway with an interchange of some sort.
If you used to draw freeways on your homework and got reprimanded by your Senior English teacher for doing so, you might be a road geek!

Exit58

Quote from: Sonic99 on December 10, 2019, 01:02:57 AM
At this point, yes. Nothing inside of Wickenburg. Maybe a limited-access interchange here or there (similar to what's already inside 67th Ave), but other than that, no. I think the only thing on the radar that could be a factor for US 60 is the Northern Parkway extension bringing it inside the 101 loop to meet with Grand Ave/US 60. But that's not an upgrade to 60 itself, just tying it into the Parkway with an interchange of some sort.

Speaking of which, what is going on with Northern Parkway? Updates seem sparse to say the least. Thats MCO project right?

jakeroot

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on December 09, 2019, 10:33:44 PM
There won't be any new freeways within the city limits of Phoenix, save for part of the Tres Rios Fwy (AZ 30), once the South Mountain Freeway (Loop 202) is completed next year.  AFAIK, all freeway construction within the city will be finished with those.

Well, that's kind of my point. How many cities were able to even "finish" their entire freeway network? Los Angeles (and California) had the political will to complete their freeways through to the 1990s (40+ years after construction started), but freeways eventually became far too expensive to justify. I haven't seen similar issues in Arizona. I'm sure the South Mountain Freeway will be very expensive compared to the original Loop 101 construction, but I'm sure most of the cost increase is related to labour, materials, and inflation.

Sonic99

Quote from: Exit58 on December 10, 2019, 01:29:54 AM
Quote from: Sonic99 on December 10, 2019, 01:02:57 AM

Speaking of which, what is going on with Northern Parkway? Updates seem sparse to say the least. Thats MCO project right?

It was "paused" for a few years while they tried to round up some more money. Last I heard, they've gotten restarted on it on the segment from Dysart across the Agua Fria River to 111th Ave. The overpasses at Dysart and El Mirage are coming next year.

http://apps.mcdot.maricopa.gov/Projects/northern-parkway.aspx
If you used to draw freeways on your homework and got reprimanded by your Senior English teacher for doing so, you might be a road geek!

Concrete Bob

Expect Maricopa County to upgrade Grand Avenue from 303 to Downtown Phoenix over the next few years.  It won't be a freeway, but it will have a lot more grade separations and limited access:

https://www.azmag.gov/Portals/0/Documents/COMPASS_2015-07-31_Recommendations-Map-Book.pdf?ver=2017-04-06-110942-403

source: https://www.azmag.gov/Programs/Transportation/Freeways-and-Highways/US-60-Grand-Avenue-COMPASS-Study

Looks like there will be a lot more Bell Road-style interchanges along the corridor once all is said and done. 

Sonic99

Quote from: Concrete Bob on December 10, 2019, 10:40:05 PM

Expect Maricopa County to upgrade Grand Avenue from 303 to Downtown Phoenix over the next few years.  It won't be a freeway, but it will have a lot more grade separations and limited access:

https://www.azmag.gov/Portals/0/Documents/COMPASS_2015-07-31_Recommendations-Map-Book.pdf?ver=2017-04-06-110942-403

source: https://www.azmag.gov/Programs/Transportation/Freeways-and-Highways/US-60-Grand-Avenue-COMPASS-Study

Looks like there will be a lot more Bell Road-style interchanges along the corridor once all is said and done.

Holy smokes, looking at all those new interchanges and scared of what the final dollar amount will be for the cost (along with just how many of those will ever actually be built).

PastTense

Roadwarriors79

I don't know if this is the actual freeway opening, or just "celebration" but this event is scheduled for this coming Wednesday.

https://azbigmedia.com/business/transportation-biz/ducey-will-open-loop-202-south-mountain-freeway-on-wednesday/

Roadwarriors79

A recent flyover of the new Loop 202 from I-10 south to Estrella Dr.

https://youtu.be/55WYugyb31Y

jakeroot

Quote from: Roadwarriors79 on December 14, 2019, 01:55:09 PM
A recent flyover of the new Loop 202 from I-10 south to Estrella Dr.

https://youtu.be/55WYugyb31Y

I find it rather interesting that at least a couple of the off-ramps have dedicated straight-on lanes, even though they aren't part of frontage roads. Seems to me that one of the turn lanes (likely one the left turn lanes) could be a shared left/straight lane.

AZDude

Kniwt

Quote from: AZDude on December 21, 2019, 02:30:10 PM
The South Mountain Freeway is now officially open!

Any word on what the control cities are on the new signs? Is ADOT going to try sending I-10 thru traffic onto 202 instead? ("202 EAST / Tucson", "10 EAST / Phoenix")

Roadwarriors79

No control cities are listed for the 202. Most of the loop freeways in the valley don't have control cities listed.

AZDude

Here is a video I made of the new freeway.  There are no control cites listed.

Roadwarriors79

ADOT has posted supplemental signage that says "Phoenix Bypass Route" on I-10 EB approaching Loop 303 (also I-17 SB approaching Loop 303). I could see them using signage that is similar on I-10 EB in the west valley, and I-10 WB in the east valley approaching the 202.

Concrete Bob

Thanks for the great video, AZ Dude !!  I have been waiting years for this stretch of freeway to open!!

Max Rockatansky

Next time I'm out in Phoenix I'll have to hike South Mountain again, I bet the views of the new part of 202 are pretty nice. 

PastTense

AZDUDE: What is the speed limit there and how fast were you driving? The video gives the impression that a lot of drivers were speeding excessively.

Kniwt

Quote from: PastTense on December 23, 2019, 12:20:41 PM
The video gives the impression that a lot of drivers were speeding excessively.

In Phoenix?! Speeding excessively?! Shirley, you can't be serious. :) :) :)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.