News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

'CITY' banner used on-top of US shields?

Started by Zeffy, January 15, 2014, 03:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeffy

I was browsing the page at http://www.routemarkers.com/usa/ when the following shield caught my eye:

I haven't seen a 'CITY' banner ever, with no mentions made in recent MUTCDs. I'm guessing this is an older practice, but does anyone know what exactly the banner is there for? Seems kinda dumb to mark a highway inside of a city as a 'CITY Route'... I mean it's practically implied if the route goes through a city.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Big John

The "business" sign is used for that now.

US71

Bentonville, AR did on "City 71" in the early 1980's (pre 71 Expressway/I-540)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

The High Plains Traveler

Minnesota used THRU CITY, though the route so marked was different from the route bypassing the town. Example was MN-197 through Bemidji along old U.S. 2-71, or county routes through Little Falls where it is bypassed by U.S. 10.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

Alps

Boston had designated city routes - C1, C9, C28 - but the actual routes existed elsewhere at the same time. Heck, C1 multiplexed with US 1.

Stratuscaster

Illinois had a few CITY routes, too...

US-12
IL-13
US-20
US-30
US-40
US-66

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.