News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

FADED Beyond Recognition

Started by architect77, November 01, 2014, 09:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

architect77

Please take a look at Atlanta's descent into 3rd World Country status. I have emailed and Fedexed color photos of these 30 year old I-85 Access Road signs that haven't been replaced since the 1980's. How can any DOT employee hold their heads up in their home city?

Atlanta's infrastructure looks so bad that Atlanta is an absolute DUMP. 4,000 of the 6,000 or so freeway lights HAVEN'T WORKED SINCE 2009!

This city is falling apart.

Zeffy

I think it's pretty bad that I can't read some of those signs at all and I'm on a computer. If a sign isn't readable to a certain extent, then yes, they need to be replaced. This is apparent here.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

hotdogPi

@gas station: Do you realize that's a 3.89 and not a 2.89?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Eth

Quote from: 1 on November 01, 2014, 10:11:50 PM
@gas station: Do you realize that's a 3.89 and not a 2.89?

The photo's a few months old, I'm guessing.

It should be noted that the signs at Clairmont are much more readable in person than they appear in this photo (unless they've degraded drastically in the last 2-3 months). They are, however, old enough to make no mention of US 23, which joined SR 155 here in approximately 1981.

xcellntbuy

I noticed on my late night Saturday drive last week that many of the streetlights in the median of Interstate 75 on the south side of the city were completely off.  No construction in the area, just no lighting on a 12-14 lane highway as I approached Interstate 85.

architect77

This photo is from yesterday. The signs at Shallowford Rd and/or Chamblee-Tucker northbound are even more faded that this. Regardless, totally unacceptable.

An Atlanta Public Works employee emailed me to say that the freeway lights were being addressed, one highway at a time. I did notice that they were working on the lights on I-75 between downtown and Cumberland/I-285 area.

national highway 1

The bottom sign used to be a brown tourist sign for Taronga Zoo, but after all these years it hasn't been replaced.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

KG909

Being the immature teen I am, I understood 'FADED' in another way at first.
~Fuccboi

signalman

Quote from: KG909 on November 02, 2014, 10:46:32 PM
That would be found in the off topic section, if anywhere on here.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: national highway 1 on November 02, 2014, 10:07:18 PM

Brown is a color that fades quite easily.  In the Phoenix area, many of the old brown Loop 202 shields have faded (especially those facing south), which is why ADOT decided to do away with the colored shields for the Phoenix area loops (Loop 101 was blue and Loop 303 was black).  I think green would have been a better choice for Loop 202 instead of brown.

hbelkins

Being an out-of-touch-with-pop-culture adult, I have no clue what other meaning "faded" could have.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

DaBigE

Quote from: hbelkins on November 03, 2014, 11:28:59 AM

Being an out-of-touch-with-pop-culture adult, I have no clue what other meaning "faded" could have.

That makes two of us...
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

NE2

I'm in-touch enough to know how to search urbandictionary.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

talllguy

I should post a picture of every single sign in Baltimore.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: DaBigE on November 03, 2014, 11:44:30 AM

That makes two of us...

I am a 14 year old dude and even I don't know what that could have meant  :-D

Quote from: Pink Jazz on November 03, 2014, 11:28:13 AM
Quote from: national highway 1 on November 02, 2014, 10:07:18 PM

Brown is a color that fades quite easily.  In the Phoenix area, many of the old brown Loop 202 shields have faded (especially those facing south), which is why ADOT decided to do away with the colored shields for the Phoenix area loops (Loop 101 was blue and Loop 303 was black).  I think green would have been a better choice for Loop 202 instead of brown.

Wow, that sign is in horrid shape. I can hardly see the font!!  :eyebrow:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

kj3400

Quote from: talllguy on November 03, 2014, 12:28:40 PM
I should post a picture of every single sign in Baltimore.
They're not all bad. Well, most of them are.
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

Zeffy

That makes two of us...

In short, it means you are either blazed (high) out of your mind (usually with pot), or you are drunk. The term gained popularity when Tyga and Lil' Wayne made a song called Faded, with the chorus going something like:

QuoteFaded, faded, faded, my <explicit> I'm faded (repeats)
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

KG909

Quote from: Zeffy on November 03, 2014, 01:29:48 PM

That makes two of us...

In short, it means you are either blazed (high) out of your mind (usually with pot), or you are drunk. The term gained popularity when Tyga and Lil' Wayne made a song called Faded, with the chorus going something like:

QuoteFaded, faded, faded, my <explicit> I'm faded (repeats)
Hate that song, but I heard of it because you know, high school. Anyway yeah Zeffy is right, it's when you're high off marijuana.
~Fuccboi

hbelkins

Well, I've semi-heard of Lil Wayne, but have no clue who Tyga is.

(Says the guy who didn't know who Elsa was when he started hearing about all these kids dressed up as Elsa for Halloween).

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Pink Jazz on November 03, 2014, 11:28:13 AMI think green would have been a better choice for Loop 202 instead of brown.

there is at least one Loop 202 shield which faded somehow to ... green.  I saw it a couple of weeks ago.  I think it was 101 NB approaching the northern leg of 202.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Eth

Combining the two topics of Atlanta and faded brown signs, there's this (over at the right).

Bonus: you can see where the sign originally said "EXIT 28" instead of "EXIT 60", one of the very few remaining visible indications of the pre-2000 Interstate exit numbers.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: agentsteel53 on November 03, 2014, 09:11:11 PM
Quote from: Pink Jazz on November 03, 2014, 11:28:13 AMI think green would have been a better choice for Loop 202 instead of brown.

there is at least one Loop 202 shield which faded somehow to ... green.  I saw it a couple of weeks ago.  I think it was 101 NB approaching the northern leg of 202.

Yep, pale green.  The red/orange/yellow dyes used to make brown must have faded, leaving only the leftover green dye.  I actually meant that they should be the same shade of green as the BGS.  I don't think there would be a problem with visibility, as Business Interstates as well as California State Routes all have green shields.  Perhaps other choices would be pink or purple, but pink might fade to white and purple might fade to blue.

BTW, the brown Loop 202 shields when heading on Loop 101 SB aren't nearly faded as badly.  I presume it is because these signs face north and don't receive as much direct sunlight.  However, I expect these signs to be replaced once the Pima Freeway widening project is complete.

Also, the SanTan Freeway portion of Loop 202 never used the brown Loop 202 shields, as ADOT had already done away with the colored shields by the time that portion was built.

SignGeek101

Going to revive this thread. Seen near the border.

http://goo.gl/maps/o3856

steviep24

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.