News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unique traffic signals (new installs)

Started by jakeroot, November 26, 2016, 08:54:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Strange idea for a thread, and I have no idea whether or not a thread like this already exists or not. Allow me to explain.

In Washington and Oregon, the standard setup at a signal is to have one signal for the left turn, and two for the through movement, all three mounted on an overhead mast-arm.

In British Columbia, the standard setup at a signal is to have three left turn signals, one near in median, one far in median, and one far left on the mast. At least two for the through movement, with at least one mounted on the far right mast. If the turn is pro/per, the near-side median signal is expunged.

In California, the standard setup at a signal is to have two left turn signals, one overhead on a mast-arm, and one far left on the mast, and at least three for the through movement, one overhead on the mast-arm, one on the far right mast, and one near-side (*this appears to be optional*), usually post-mounted. If the turn is permissive-only, one through signal is mounted on the far left mast.

Each state and province has its own standard. Some choose to follow the national manual by the book (Oregon and Washington, for example). But others, like California, have a far more detailed setup for each intersection, with more secondary signals than the MUTCD would otherwise require.

Here in Washington, while the vast majority of cities and counties follow the WSDOT standard, some go farther in their implementation of secondary signals, backplates, etc.

For example, here are four identical intersections (four lanes + TWLTL, separate turn heads), managed by four different agencies in Washington.

WSDOT (overhead signals only, except where sight/distance requires more):

Spokane (secondary signals on both sides of intersection):

Bellevue (secondary signals for left turns only):

Federal Way (secondary signals on both sides, one near-side thru signal at larger intersections):

So, my question(s):

Are there agencies in your area that continue to mount signals "differently" than the state normally would? Some places seem to be managed 100% by the state, so they're out. Other states require fairly extensive use of primary and secondary signals, so its hard for an agency to do less than required (and are, thus, out as well).

This inquiry can extend to phasing practices as well. Do some of your local agencies permit certain movements that the state would not?

Additionally, this thread can extend to include unique signal designs and mountings as well. Huntsville's sign blanks as backplates is an example of what I mean, because the practice is exploited on a very limited basis elsewhere in Alabama.

freebrickproductions

Huntsville uses sign blank backgrounds on the vast majority of the signals here. Does that count?
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

jakeroot

Quote from: freebrickproductions on November 27, 2016, 01:07:05 AM
Huntsville uses sign blank backgrounds on the vast majority of the signals here. Does that count?

That is definitely unique.

I will modify my original post to include signal designs and mounting details as well. This isn't the norm in Alabama, then? It seems really strange to use sign blanks as backgrounds. Wouldn't they be really shiny and reflective?

SignGeek101

Here in Winnipeg, the city denotes left turn signals with a black backplate and a yellow reflective strip around the side. Regular signals are all yellow, which is typical in Canada:

Outside the city, MI (formerly MIT) has all yellow backplates for everything. Left turn signals have a 'LEFT TURN SIGNAL' plaque next to the signal or attached to the pole.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: jakeroot on November 27, 2016, 01:11:10 AM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on November 27, 2016, 01:07:05 AM

That is definitely unique.

I will modify my original post to include signal designs and mounting details as well. This isn't the norm in Alabama, then? It seems really strange to use sign blanks as backgrounds. Wouldn't they be really shiny and reflective?
No, they're normally painted black (though the older ones have noticeably faded). Though for a brief while in the early 2000s, the city used fitted backgrounds like what you'll find elsewhere.
McCain Traffic Lights by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
Winkomatic, Singer, and Peek Traffic Lights by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
Winkomatic and McCain Traffic Lights by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
McCain Flashing Yellow Arrow Traffic Light by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
Eagle(Siemens) Traffic Lights by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
McCain Traffic Lights by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

ALDOT and pretty much the rest of the state use either fitted backgrounds or no backgrounds at all:
Siemens Traffic Lights by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
Siemens and McCainTraffic Lights by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

Though interestingly enough, the city of Madison (Huntsville's largest suburb) has an intersection with a couple of sign blank backgrounds in use:
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.6993364,-86.742483,3a,60y,82.58h,89.07t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s8kTRaGoPMw35oTpbqzMf4A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en&authuser=0
McCain Doghouse traffic light by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

And it appears that Mobile, AL once used sign blank backgrounds years ago in the past, as an old (and I mean old enough to use Crouse-hinds Art-deco signals old!) intersection near the downtown still features them:
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.6876096,-88.0909788,3a,43y,280.04h,91.27t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1scu2OM_3ZSWFmI9vYQ8dZZQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.6876231,-88.0912034,3a,15y,301.74h,100.88t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sHoSdu-sxQyDDA_bUQBKKPw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.6876231,-88.0912034,3a,15y,74h,106.28t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sHoSdu-sxQyDDA_bUQBKKPw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

roadfro

^ FYI: the common term for what you've called "backgrounds" is 'backplates'.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: roadfro on November 27, 2016, 04:43:11 AM
^ FYI: the common term for what you've called "backgrounds" is 'backplates'.
Yea, I know. I just use the term as a carry over from the black parts around railroad crossing lights.

(They/Them)

jakeroot

Quote from: SignGeek101 on November 27, 2016, 01:50:08 AM
Here in Winnipeg, the city denotes left turn signals with a black backplate and a yellow reflective strip around the side. Regular signals are all yellow, which is typical in Canada:

This seems like a great idea, so you can avoid littering the intersection with "Left Turn Signal" signs. I can't think of any other place in Canada that does this.

roadfro

Quote from: jakeroot on November 27, 2016, 08:49:06 PM

This seems like a great idea, so you can avoid littering the intersection with "Left Turn Signal" signs. I can't think of any other place in Canada that does this.

Is there anywhere in Canada that uses red arrows instead? Seems like that would be easier than having to make distinctions with backplates or signs...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

plain

Quote from: roadfro on November 27, 2016, 09:27:32 PM

Is there anywhere in Canada that uses red arrows instead? Seems like that would be easier than having to make distinctions with backplates or signs...

Judging by GSV, the only place in Canada with red arrows is Montreal
Newark born, Richmond bred

jakeroot

Quote from: plain on November 27, 2016, 10:35:09 PM

Holy crap, you're right! I thought red arrows in Canada were a myth.

plain

Quote from: jakeroot on November 27, 2016, 11:17:56 PM
Quote from: plain on November 27, 2016, 10:35:09 PM

Holy crap, you're right! I thought red arrows in Canada were a myth.

:-D yeah I thought the same thing too until I was poking around on street view one day and bam! Actually there are numerous intersections in Montreal where red arrows are present. I can't find anywhere else in Canada that has these

Brandon

Of course, you can simply the signage (and light it up) like this: https://goo.gl/maps/LhVF694GkoJ2 (flashing red ball - analogous to flashing yellow arrow) or this: https://goo.gl/maps/Q4ucX7LTgnu (protected only left).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

roadfro

Quote from: Brandon on November 28, 2016, 12:37:15 PM

Of course, you can simply the signage (and light it up) like this: https://goo.gl/maps/LhVF694GkoJ2 (flashing red ball - analogous to flashing yellow arrow) or this: https://goo.gl/maps/Q4ucX7LTgnu (protected only left).

Except isn't Michigan (slowly) phasing out the "Left" signals in favor of red arrows?

Kniwt

I was randomly "driving" Street View around Monterrey, Mexico, and I happened across this location:
https://goo.gl/maps/638bob7H8uA2

Edit: This appears to be the company behind them:
http://www.cylex.com.mx/reviews/viewcompanywebsite.aspx?firmaName=hpm+viatraffic+s.a&companyId=11508811
(click on "Galería de Proyectos" for lots of pics)

plain

Quote from: Kniwt on December 01, 2016, 12:12:16 AM
I was randomly "driving" Street View around Monterrey, Mexico, and I happened across this location:

Now THIS...

jakeroot

http://i.imgur.com/3hGj59V.jpg

For some reason, this hurts my eyes? I can't imagine what it would look like in person. Suffice to say, I'm not overly impressed.

jwolfer

Quote from: jakeroot on December 01, 2016, 07:43:16 PM

http://i.imgur.com/3hGj59V.jpg

For some reason, this hurts my eyes? I can't imagine what it would look like in person. Suffice to say, I'm not overly impressed.
Interesting... It would have to grow on me

LGMS428

kphoger

I drove through an intersection with lights just like the Monterrey example this past summer. It was at a new installation on the main drag through Monclova, Coahuila (Highway 57). I drove through there intersection at least four times (more than necessary because I didn't realize left turns were prohibited when I was leaving Walmart, so I had to go straight through and then double back).

The green phase says 'SIGA,' which means "PROCEED.' I don't remember what the yellow phase says. The red phase says 'ALTO,' which means 'STOP.' And yes, for those wondering, the whole thing flashes green before changing to yellow, just as normal Mexican signals do.

I'll dig around for some pictures I took from the driver's seat.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Here we go.  I posted these on the forum back in early August.  The location is at the intersection of Blvd Harold R. Pape & Blvd Francisco I. Madero in Monclova, Coahuila.  The GSV I just linked to is recent enough to have a view of these lights in operation.

Note from my pictures that the arrow is placed above the legend when the light is red but below the legend when the light is green.

Quote from: kphoger on August 08, 2016, 12:23:13 PM
Here are some of the stoplights I found interesting during our trip to México last week.

[...]

Has anyone seen anything like this?  These lights were just installed this year in Monclova.  "Siga" means "Go ahead," and "Alto" means "Stop."  I don't remember what word shows up for yellow.  These lights do a full Green–Flashing green–Yellow–Red cycle.  There were no left turns allowed at the intersection, so no arrow lights.

Interesting in the GSV is a barreled-off left turn lane that would lead one onto the wrong side of the crossroad.  Not sure what that's about; it wasn't even open pavement when I drove through there.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Revive 755

Illinois
* Kane County puts backplates on all signal heads for new installations, while the local IDOT district only uses backplates for mast arm mounted heads and the City of Chicago does not use backplates at all.

* Kane County will provided two mast arm mounted heads for dual left turns, while the local IDOT district and the rest of the region usually does not. Local IDOT example, Modern Kane County signal

* Kane County will use flashing yellow arrows on 90 percent of their new signals, at this time the local IDOT district does not

* Kane County usually uses larger street name signs on their mast arms than the rest of Chicagoland

* Kane County, McHenry County, and sometimes Naperville will mount signal heads over the center of the lane, while the rest of Chicagoland normally mounts them on the lane line or the extension of the lane line.

* It appears Chicago will still mount street name signs near the center of the roadway (Example) almost everywhere mounts those signs near the mast arm support.

Missouri:
* St. Louis County almost always provides a second far left signal head for left turns, while MoDOT usually does not.  Example where the MoDOT signal is in the foreground, an older county signal is in the background

* (Example that does not quite match the original post) St. Louis County also used to use backplates that only went along the sides of the signal heads and not extended beyond the top or bottom of the head:  Example

* It also appears St. Louis County does not usually use backplates for signal heads not on mast arms, while MoDOT puts backplates on every signal head. Granted the first example I've posted seems to be an exception.

plain

Quote from: jakeroot on November 26, 2016, 08:54:04 PM
So, my question(s):

Are there agencies in your area that continue to mount signals "differently" than the state normally would? Some places seem to be managed 100% by the state, so they're out. Other states require fairly extensive use of primary and secondary signals, so its hard for an agency to do less than required (and are, thus, out as well).

This inquiry can extend to phasing practices as well. Do some of your local agencies permit certain movements that the state would not?

Additionally, this thread can extend to include unique signal designs and mountings as well. Huntsville's sign blanks as backplates is an example of what I mean, because the practice is exploited on a very limited basis elsewhere in Alabama.

I don't think there's any place in the country that has more different styles of installations than the city of Norfolk, Virginia

M3019C LPS20

New York City's Department of Transportation has some practices that are over 50 years old, in which still prove benefical to the city's environment in the modern day. For example, traffic signals there remain suspended from the mast-arm/guy wire setup. Unlike most municipalities elsewhere in the country that use standard monotubes for intersection configurations, NYCDOT continues to use such structures at newly-built intersections. Monotubes are exceptionally rare there, but they are in use at some locations where there are more than three lanes of vehicular traffic in each direction. Most streets have only two lanes of vehicular traffic, and, because the lack of space poses an issue in a compact environment like New York City, the mast-arm/guy wire setup is the answer to the problem.

Another example to point out is the installation of 8" vehicular signals. They have been the norm since the days of two-color stoplights, and the current citywide speed limit allows them to be in use. Though 12" units have slowly been making their way on the streets for a time. Originally implemented by the NYCDOT in the early-1960s for protected turn movements that involved only green arrow indications, 12" signal indications in all three colors first became prevalent to an extent in the 1970s. These traffic signals of the time helped with visibility on major boulevards and avenues. So, one would see them as new additions with existing 8" vehicular heads.

I originally grew up in New York, so, as a signal enthusiast, I find traffic signals arranged in clusters more appealing than single-faced units that are found outside of the city. It can be understandable to think they are unique to New York City, but they were common in many towns and cities years ago prior to modernization. As time passed and municipalities adapted better practices than of the past, New York City has not yet dropped the construction of traffic signal clusters. General Traffic Equipment today is the sole provider of the necessary hardware the NYCDOT uses. Despite the old practice still in motion, the NYCDOT in recent years focused on the one signal per lane requirement. At most New York City intersections, you will see auxillary vehicular heads in use at locations deemed adequate for motorists to see in plain sight. They are typically found on short poles, street lamp fixtures, and mast-arm/guy wire poles. While these are still approved installations by traffic engineers, a single traffic signal directly facing a lane of traffic seems the smart and effective way. To answer the issue, the NYCDOT implemented the astro-brac for traffic signal placement by the end of 2000s, and these auxillary traffic signals now coexist with traffic signal clusters on the same pole. Fast foward to today, and they are now common at existing and newly-built intersections. I'll give you an example...

Here's an original late-1970s intersection from the borough Staten Island. Two three-way clusters and an auxillary signal on the tall pole at the corner.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.5747679,-74.1217742,3a,75y,2.42h,91.12t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1shq7eE15UWyBUppLfEjyXwA!2e0!5s20070901T000000!7i3328!8i1664

New and altered setup (post-2010).

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.5747887,-74.1218472,3a,75y,26.03h,89.77t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sqAHtjHN2McxxuwlQJXY5xA!2e0!5s20130901T000000!7i13312!8i6656

kphoger

Edit: This appears to be the company behind them:
http://www.cylex.com.mx/reviews/viewcompanywebsite.aspx?firmaName=hpm+viatraffic+s.a&companyId=11508811
(click on "Galería de Proyectos" for lots of pics)

Quote from: kphoger on December 02, 2016, 11:32:20 PM
I drove through an intersection with lights just like the Monterrey example this past summer. It was at a new installation on the main drag through Monclova, Coahuila (Highway 57). I drove through there intersection at least four times (more than necessary because I didn't realize left turns were prohibited when I was leaving Walmart, so I had to go straight through and then double back).

The green phase says 'SIGA,' which means "PROCEED.' I don't remember what the yellow phase says. The red phase says 'ALTO,' which means 'STOP.' And yes, for those wondering, the whole thing flashes green before changing to yellow, just as normal Mexican signals do.

I'll dig around for some pictures I took from the driver's seat.

** Update **

These stoplights appear to be catching on.  I saw several new installations when I was in Mexico in March.  One new feature that I didn't see before is that some new installations have an animated green arrow.  That is, when the light is green, the panel displays 'SIGA' and above it is a moving/animated green ↑ arrow.  IIRC, left turn arrows also appear to move from right to left.  Pretty snazzy, really.  I did notice some dark LEDs on a few of the lights, but it's not like that wasn't an issue already before these.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.