Traffic Signal's Red Ball - With White Flashing Bar

Started by hubcity, May 10, 2018, 01:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapmikey

There were some circle versions on TX 146 not far south of I-10 when I was there in January.

North Carolina used to use them...in the 1970s there were slit flash versions on what is now I-95 Bus in Fayetteville at the first stoplight in each direction after the freeway ended.

I believe US 17 had several as well coming into larger towns...

traffic light guy

There are strobe lights somewhere in PA, but Ian has pictures

hbelkins

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 12, 2018, 02:44:29 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on May 11, 2018, 11:09:01 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on May 11, 2018, 12:21:08 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on May 10, 2018, 06:24:22 PM
Someone please tell me how the presence of a strobe could increase the number of wrecks[...]

Strobe lights can cause seizures in individuals with photosensitive epilepsy.

I know that, but this wasn't cited in the MUTCD language, which to me implies that's not the reason.

The MUTCD issues guidance on what's permitted and not permitted. If they had to quantify their reasoning for every statement, the guide would be 40 times larger.

Reasons for prohibition of a certain traffic control device -- or justification for the requirement for or option to use one -- are a bit different than the classic parental "Because I (we) said so!"

If the feds are going to tell cities and states that they can't use something, they should at least have to explain why.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Eth

Quote from: Brian556 on May 12, 2018, 01:49:15 AM
Some signals on US 72 in NE Alabama have an extra single red indication between the heads

They also used to be present along US 431 in southeast Alabama, and as I recall, it was on these single heads (not the regular three-head signals) that the strobes were. Here is one of them in action, removed sometime between 2013 and 2016.

Ian

Quote from: traffic light guy on May 12, 2018, 10:18:01 AM
There are strobe lights somewhere in PA, but Ian has pictures

There are quite a few left all around Pennsylvania. Too many to count even.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

jeffandnicole

Quote from: hbelkins on May 12, 2018, 03:11:09 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 12, 2018, 02:44:29 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on May 11, 2018, 11:09:01 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on May 11, 2018, 12:21:08 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on May 10, 2018, 06:24:22 PM
Someone please tell me how the presence of a strobe could increase the number of wrecks[...]

Strobe lights can cause seizures in individuals with photosensitive epilepsy.

I know that, but this wasn't cited in the MUTCD language, which to me implies that's not the reason.

The MUTCD issues guidance on what's permitted and not permitted. If they had to quantify their reasoning for every statement, the guide would be 40 times larger.

Reasons for prohibition of a certain traffic control device -- or justification for the requirement for or option to use one -- are a bit different than the classic parental "Because I (we) said so!"

If the feds are going to tell cities and states that they can't use something, they should at least have to explain why.

They can, but in other documents. 

Most publications use footnotes for such detail, so one can look at the source behind the reasoning.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Eth on May 12, 2018, 07:32:37 PM
Quote from: Brian556 on May 12, 2018, 01:49:15 AM
Some signals on US 72 in NE Alabama have an extra single red indication between the heads

They also used to be present along US 431 in southeast Alabama, and as I recall, it was on these single heads (not the regular three-head signals) that the strobes were. Here is one of them in action, removed sometime between 2013 and 2016.
There is (and was) also a number of them on US 231 between Montgomery and Florida. Cherokee, AL also has some non-functional (very early) strobes on the edge of the town.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

steveutz87

Used to be strobe signals at US-360 and Woodlake Village Parkway in Midlothian VA. I obtained both of them in 2015 and still have one in my garage.

SM-G930V

SidS1045

Signals on the Saw Mill River Parkway at Readers Digest Road in Chappaqua NY have strobes crossing the red ball.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

abc2VE

connroadgeek

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.