Altered, Repurposed, Recycled, Reused

Started by vtk, July 16, 2012, 12:41:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim

This "END" began life as "EXEMPT".  Murray, Utah.  November 13, 2016.

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

Eth

These signs in Lawrenceville, GA look like they may have had a previous life in Cumming. (3/26/2017)

US 89

Quote from: jwolfer on September 02, 2016, 06:56:02 PM
Quote from: formulanone on August 17, 2016, 06:32:35 AM
County sign with a ghost of former (or possibly mistaken) usage:

I saw this sign today.

Wow, that would have been a 5 character sign (2254A, maybe?).

Big John

Quote from: roadguy2 on June 23, 2017, 04:18:26 PM
looks like 225-A

jwolfer

Quote from: Big John on June 23, 2017, 04:26:01 PM
Quote from: roadguy2 on June 23, 2017, 04:18:26 PM
looks like 225-A
It is 225-A.. Bradford Cou ty doesnr have 4 digit CRs

LGMS428

mefailenglish

Meant to post this a couple of months ago...Repurposed kodachrome US1 shield

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

csw

There are chopped-up signs used for parking delegation all over downtown New Orleans. Didn't get any photos but here is an GSV example.

Royal St https://goo.gl/maps/7bhySiAxndF2

Max Rockatansky

A have recycled Stop sign that was cut into a US 4 shield in my sign collection.  I'll post a copy of the picture from my sign galley when I get a chance, my phone app doesn't want to work.  I got the sign from New Hampshire where recycling signs into US Routes is apparently a common practice. 

kphoger

Cross-posting from the "worst of" thread.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 17, 2017, 01:05:25 AM
Best worst US 101 shield ever along the Nacimiento-Fergusson Road in Big Sur:

IMG_0440 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 17, 2017, 12:24:21 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 17, 2017, 03:24:02 AM
Not only is it a shittily-made stencil, it's in friggin' Calibri, the default MS Office font.

It is actually a recycled sign from when the Nacimiento-Fergusson Road was the only access to Gorda down in Big Sur along CA 1. 

IMG_0442 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

I suspect that Los Padres National Forest just did what they could over at Nacimiento Station with a stencil.  Really though out to order a G14, US 101, and CA 1 shield at the junction to direct traffic the correct way.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Hurricane Rex

There was a do not pass sign turned into a Speed 30 sign in a construction zone, couldn't get a good picture.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

formulanone

Is Birmingham the leader in re-using old signage?

US 89

^^That US 59 sign looks like they filled in the numbers and arrows with permanent marker.

Jim

It seems the Texas 255 connector from I-35 to the Colombia Solidarity International Bridge used to be a toll road, but is not anymore.  As of last November, the 4th to be exact, the signs from I-35 still use the toll-style markers but the word "toll" is taped over.   And you can still read "Toll" through the yellow tape on the BGS.

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

jay8g

This sign may look like it was vandalized, but I'm pretty sure the hand-written part was actually done as a correction -- WSDOT typically uses the P suffix for pedestrian bridges, and this is one. However, very strangely, WSDOT's bridge list doesn't show a bridge 99-582 at all, with or without the P suffix.

ErmineNotyours

I was just reading this thread for the first time, then went through old photos and found this:

Reused sign, 2009, W Fort St. & 32nd Ave W, Seattle by Arthur Allen, on Flickr

They have since replaced the top sign.  It's a dead end for cars, but a through route for bikes and pedestrians.  Google Street View.

kphoger

Cross-posting from another thread, because it also belongs here...

Quote from: US71 on January 02, 2019, 11:30:06 PM

Cattle Xing near Ft Smith, AR
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Quote from: Jim on June 04, 2018, 07:28:03 AM
It seems the Texas 255 connector from I-35 to the Colombia Solidarity International Bridge used to be a toll road, but is not anymore.  As of last November, the 4th to be exact, the signs from I-35 still use the toll-style markers but the word "toll" is taped over.   And you can still read "Toll" through the yellow tape on the BGS.

Tolls on TX-255 stopped being collected in May 2017 and were later prohibited by order of SB 312, effective 09/01/2017. 

Quote from: Julia Wallace, LMTonline, 8/25/2017
Texas Rep. Richard Peña Raymond ... said the Texas Department of Transportation will take down the signs that say "Camino Colombia Toll Road" any day now.
Male pronouns, please.

Buck87

After a railroad bridge was removed north of Norwalk, Ohio, Huron County repurposed this distant low clearance sign...

VS988

US71

I saw this in Kansas City a few years ago. It's apparently a contractor sign that has been overlayed several times.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

chays

At local ballfields, an old sign was chopped up and used to help secure a new sign to the fence.

stevashe

This one way sign in Seattle used to be a rather large parking sign, it's now slated for replacement though so it won't be around much longer.

JUHSD-rvalencia

Daly City in my area especially John Daly Blvd, one of the signs in Univers Condensed text as supposed to the Caltrans "no right turn on red" one, reused a really old one by flipping it over. Absurd!  :angry:

kphoger

I noticed this while my family was walking back from the convenience store on Thursday.

Neighborhood Watch sign, repurposed as a Neighborhood Watch sign.

Male pronouns, please.

ErmineNotyours

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.