News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Corridor H

Started by CanesFan27, September 20, 2009, 03:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

hbelkins

Most of the button copy between Weston and Elkins has been replaced already. Only the exit signs at Buckhannon, a couple of county route crossing signs and a couple of signs at the US 250 intersection remain. I'm surprised the existing ones have survived as long as they have.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

dave19

Quote from: hbelkins on January 27, 2013, 01:35:25 PM
I'm surprised the existing ones have survived as long as they have.
Yeah, that's why I posted that. And those watermarked pix certainly suck; I have no idea why they thought that was necessary.

seicer

The button copy signs on I-64 from Beckley east to Sam Black Church, dating to 1988, were replaced I think in 2012 or 2011. The signs on I-64 near Huntington were replaced very recently - new sign supports, LED lighting and all.

hbelkins

Quote from: Sherman Cahal on January 28, 2013, 10:01:55 AM
The signs on I-64 near Huntington were replaced very recently - new sign supports, LED lighting and all.

With Clearview.

seicer

http://www.journal-news.net/page/content.detail/id/589796.html
Some bank on Corridor H being completed sooner rather than later; others not as optimistic
January 18, 2013
By Katie Kuba - Ogden Newspapers

BUCKHANNON - The completion of Corridor H might seem miles away to some West Virginians, but Jim Strader is banking on it being done sooner rather than later.

[...]

In fact, the road is slated to be 75 percent complete in the Mountain State by the end of 2013, a fact many people in Randolph, Tucker and other counties may not realize, said Robbie Morris, executive director of the Randolph County Development Authority.

"Unless you make regular trips to the Eastern Panhandle or to the D.C. and Baltimore area, you don't really see it," Morris said. "People view the progress on the Corridor from where it stands at Kerens, and nothing's being done from Kerens to Parsons ... but that doesn't mean nothing's being done."

Most of the current construction work visible from the air is concentrated near Mount Storm, where backhoes, dozers and other pieces of heavy equipment dot the landscape. Along W.Va. 93, there are several places where forest has been cleared to make way for the highway. Buttresses for bridges are beginning to come together, and several bridges have decks installed and are nearing completion. As the road snakes its way around mountains near Scherr Mountain, the pathway for the future road is visible.

hbelkins

There's a glaring error in that story.

QuoteFirst proposed in 1964, the 143-mile-long highway is the only leg of the federal Appalachian Corridor System - a network of roads designed to open Appalachia up to economic development - that has yet to be finished, according to information from the Corridor H Authority, a group advocating for the Corridor's completion.

US 119 in Kentucky isn't finished yet. The portion from the Harlan/Letcher county line to Whitesburg is not done. Some portions are under construction or recently went to contract, but the Pine Mountain crossing remains as an obstacle. The current idea is to tunnel under the mountain, but that will cost a lot of money.

I think there is also a portion of highway in Tennessee in the Cookeville area that isn't even under consideration for construction at this time.

20 years ago I can see why reporters would make errors like this, because you didn't have the Internet to research this stuff. Today, a quick glance at the ARC Website will show what corridors are not yet completed. There's no excuse for this type of easily-avoided error.

NE2

There's also I-99 (Corridor U-1) south of Corning, not complete yet. And Corridor X-1 is porkier than most. Bits and pieces of others are also not done (A, C, K, V, X...).
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

froggie

H is the only remaining corridor in West Virginia.  That's most likely what they were referring to.  Given the small geographical (and exclusively West Virginian) area of the paper's coverage, it's the most logical conclusion.

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on February 08, 2013, 06:50:16 PM
H is the only remaining corridor in West Virginia.  That's most likely what they were referring to.  Given the small geographical (and exclusively West Virginian) area of the paper's coverage, it's the most logical conclusion.

Entirely possible, and I did not think of that likelihood.

SP Cook

Quote from: hbelkins on February 08, 2013, 10:08:26 PM
Quote from: froggie on February 08, 2013, 06:50:16 PM

Entirely possible, and I did not think of that likelihood.

I'm sure that is what the author is refering to.  The last section of D was finished a few years ago, and, excepting that, all ARC projects were finished by the early 90s.  The political perception among people in that area is that the order in which Interstates and Corridors were finished was highly political.  Really, if you look at traffic volumes, and national and local impact, WV pretty much built its roads in reverse order of importance.

On a side note WV, the last state to complete its original interstate allottment, will probably be the first to finish its ARC.

NE2

Quote from: SP Cook on February 09, 2013, 06:18:14 AM
On a side note WV, the last state to complete its original interstate allottment, will probably be the first to finish its ARC.
Mississippi, New York, and South Carolina are closer to completion: http://www.arc.gov/program_areas/StatusofCompletionoftheADHS.asp http://www.arc.gov/program_areas/StatusoftheAppalachianDevelopmentHighwaySystemasofSeptember302011.asp

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

jpi

On a trip to Knoxville a couple weeks ago, I took the "scenic" route which led me along TN 52 from Red Boiling Springs east to Celina, first time in 2 years I was in that part of TN and discoverde a BIG 4 lane project for TN 52 from Celina to outside of Livingston. Nice stretch of highway, about 4 miles of it now 4 lane app. corridor grade. I wonder if this is supposed to come down to the Cookeville area and tie into a new interchange that is planned on I-40 west of Cookeville.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

NE2

cpzilliacus

Does Maryland (with an admittedly small land area in ARC-land) have any corridors left to build?

Maybe a tiny part of Corridor N (U.S. 219 near Grantsville).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

NE2

hbelkins

Quote from: cpzilliacus on February 15, 2013, 01:51:17 AM

Does Maryland (with an admittedly small land area in ARC-land) have any corridors left to build?

I don't look for anything else to be done on Corridor O (US 220) since Pennsylvania has abandoned plans to build its portion of the route from the state line to Bedford. The road quality deteriorates considerably when you cross the state line going north.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: hbelkins on February 15, 2013, 03:37:44 PM

I don't look for anything else to be done on Corridor O (US 220) since Pennsylvania has abandoned plans to build its portion of the route from the state line to Bedford. The road quality deteriorates considerably when you cross the state line going north.

Wonder if Pennsylvania was afraid that an upgrade of U.S. 220 between Bedford and Maryland  might cost the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission revenue?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Mr_Northside

Quote from: cpzilliacus on February 15, 2013, 06:01:40 PM
Wonder if Pennsylvania was afraid that an upgrade of U.S. 220 between Bedford and Maryland  might cost the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission revenue?

I doubt the welfare of the PTC's revenues had anything to do with it.
I think the fact that they're trying to focus resources ($$$) one county over to finally get an upgraded US-219 between Somerset and I-68 probably had a good bit to do with it. 
I can't remember for sure, but they may have actually shifted the ARC  south of the Turnpike from US-220 to US-219 to try and get more $$$.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

hbelkins

Quote from: Mr_Northside on February 15, 2013, 07:27:00 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on February 15, 2013, 06:01:40 PM

I doubt the welfare of the PTC's revenues had anything to do with it.
I think the fact that they're trying to focus resources ($$$) one county over to finally get an upgraded US-219 between Somerset and I-68 probably had a good bit to do with it. 
I can't remember for sure, but they may have actually shifted the ARC  south of the Turnpike from US-220 to US-219 to try and get more $$$.

Actually, I think US 220 got swapped out for US 322.

NE2

Bitmapped

Quote from: hbelkins on February 15, 2013, 03:37:44 PM

I drive that stretch of US 220 several times a year.  Traffic easily flows 55+ through here.  While some wider shoulders and turn lanes would be nice, the only real issue I have with the existing road is that traffic is heavy enough that passing can be difficult.  A couple of passing lanes would easily solve this problem.  A full relocation would really be a waste of money.

US 219 to the west, on the other hand, would greatly benefit from its planned full relocation.  The existing alignment is very indirect, has some sharp curves, and is pretty slow.

hbelkins

Quote from: Bitmapped on February 16, 2013, 02:17:12 PM
I drive that stretch of US 220 several times a year.  Traffic easily flows 55+ through here.  While some wider shoulders and turn lanes would be nice, the only real issue I have with the existing road is that traffic is heavy enough that passing can be difficult.  A couple of passing lanes would easily solve this problem.  A full relocation would really be a waste of money.

US 219 to the west, on the other hand, would greatly benefit from its planned full relocation.  The existing alignment is very indirect, has some sharp curves, and is pretty slow.

Agreed about passing on 220, especially given the amount of truck traffic I've witnessed on that road.

Also agreed on 219. I drove it once, coming home from State College, and said "never again." I will be much more likely to use 219 once the road from I-68 to Somerset is complete.

cpzilliacus

The Journal (Martinsburg, W.Va.): Study: highways should be finished

QuoteHAGERSTOWN - Completing Corridor H is one of the most important projects identified in the Appalachian Regional Commission Interstate 81 Corridor Study.

Quote"One of the most important gaps that should be completed is connecting Corridor H to I-81 to provide direct access to I-81 and the Virginia Inland Port," the study concludes. "This would provide intermodal access for much of northern West Virginia and an east/west highway for Virginia to Cincinnati, Ohio; Indianapolis, Ind.; and Chicago."

QuoteThe study, titled Network 81: Defining the I-81 Corridor, was presented Monday during the I-81 Corridor Coalition annual conference, which is being held in Hagerstown. The coalition consists of state and local governments along the I-81 corridor from New York to Tennessee, including West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Maryland and Virginia.

Quote"West Virginia is building a four-lane, high-speed highway up to the Virginia line, where it becomes a two-lane highway," said Ray Pethtel, who authored the study and is the former interim executive director of the I-81CC.

For those that may not remember, Ray Pethtel was Virginia's Commissioner of Highways for two periods, first 1986 to 1994, and then in 2002.

cpzilliacus

Charleston Daily Mail: Mock Corridor H decorates Capitol

QuoteThe Corridor H Authority laid a "stage version" of Corridor H on the second floor of the Capitol on Friday, connecting the Senate chambers to the House of Delegates. The mock highway was dotted with significant markers, information booths and video about Corridor H's path, with special detail paid to a 25-mile uncompleted section midway along the route.

The Inter-Mountain.Com: Corridor H - Legislators view model of highway

QuoteLocal economic leaders from a seven-county region gathered in Charleston Friday to lobby for the completion of Corridor H - and garnered pledges of support from state lawmakers.

QuoteThe Corridor H Authority, a group that advocates for the completion of the highway by the year 2020, set up a lifelike model of the 130-mile highway in the State Capitol Rotunda so legislators could actually see what has - and hasn't - been completed on the road, which begins at the intersection of Interstate 79 and U.S. Route 33 near Weston and will end at the junction of Interstates 81 and 66 in Front Royal, Va.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.