News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Corridor H

Started by CanesFan27, September 20, 2009, 03:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Quote from: mtfallsmikey on September 19, 2013, 10:40:44 AM
Being that the some of the leaves are starting to turn out my way, they should be in full color up on Corridor H in a couple of weeks or so...early this year for some reason.

Corridor H could attract a lot of tourists during leaf season - lots less congested than Skyline Drive, and no toll whoops, entrance fee.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

mtfallsmikey

Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 19, 2013, 09:57:47 PM
Being that the some of the leaves are starting to turn out my way, they should be in full color up on Corridor H in a couple of weeks or so...early this year for some reason.

Corridor H could attract a lot of tourists during leaf season - lots less congested than Skyline Drive, and no toll whoops, entrance fee.

I've told a lot of folks here at work in The Big City to do just that, plus many, many other roads less traveled.

SP Cook

OT fall color rant:

This:

is WV's fall color map.  Been that way for as long as I can remember.

By county lines   :confused: 

Leaf colors change at the county lines? 

How hard would it be to do a map which takes into account the actual situation on the ground, which is to say takes into account elevation?

Rant over.

NE2

Shouldn't the market fill that gap? Why do you want the government to give you the map?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

mtfallsmikey

From my experience, that map is wrong, at least the northern part. There will still be color in eastern Hardy, Grant, Pendleton, and Frederick/Shenandoah on our side of the border, and the leaves will be gone on the Front/western slope.

hbelkins

West Virginia's not the only state that produced a fall foliage map. Kentucky has a whole "ColorFall Kentucky" campaign that ramps up every year. The state tourism agency puts out maps (and I don't remember if they follow county lines or not) and spits out press releases like crazy.

Speaking of fall foliage, our peak is usually the third week of October. Which means the scenery for the US 460 meet should be great, especially up around Elkhorn City and Breaks.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on September 23, 2013, 08:04:43 AM
Shouldn't the market fill that gap? Why do you want the government to give you the map?
Politics aside, I would think leaf enthusiasts would create maps themselves.

1995hoo

Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 19, 2013, 09:57:47 PM

Heh....the comment above seems more prescient than ever because Skyline Drive is now CLOSED due to the government shutdown.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

seicer

Quote from: Steve on September 23, 2013, 10:38:37 PM
Quote from: NE2 on September 23, 2013, 08:04:43 AM
Politics aside, I would think leaf enthusiasts would create maps themselves.

With West Virginia, it is very much region dependent. The map is just a general guide. Here is how specific it is:

Dolly Sods usually peaks in late September and early October based on my last four years up there. It's one of the wettest areas in the state, one of the windiest and along the Allegheny Front. It's really awesome to watch from Bear Rocks the weather systems as they end and begin overhead.

At the bottom of the Sods, to the west, is Canaan Valley, which usually peaks a week after Dolly Sods.

To the east of the Sods is North Fork Mountain, one of the driest mountain ranges in the eastern United States. It's precipitation is minuscule compared to the rest of the state, and especially Dolly Sods. It's also much warmer and the colors won't start changing until mid October. I did a hike up to Dolly Sods in the winter with a friend a few years back and we were going through 2+ feet of snow at the Sods, and when we climbed up to North Fork Mountain the next day, we had less than one inch.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Sherman Cahal on October 01, 2013, 04:24:06 PM
With West Virginia, it is very much region dependent. The map is just a general guide. Here is how specific it is:

Dolly Sods usually peaks in late September and early October based on my last four years up there. It's one of the wettest areas in the state, one of the windiest and along the Allegheny Front. It's really awesome to watch from Bear Rocks the weather systems as they end and begin overhead.

There is massive elevation change there, especially headed to or from the Allegheny Front.  Even in the middle of summer, it's nearly always cooler at the top of the Front than it is to the east.

At the bottom of the Sods, to the west, is Canaan Valley, which usually peaks a week after Dolly Sods.

Canaan Valley is still pretty high, but not as high as the Eastern  Continental Divide.

To the east of the Sods is North Fork Mountain, one of the driest mountain ranges in the eastern United States. It's precipitation is minuscule compared to the rest of the state, and especially Dolly Sods. It's also much warmer and the colors won't start changing until mid October. I did a hike up to Dolly Sods in the winter with a friend a few years back and we were going through 2+ feet of snow at the Sods, and when we climbed up to North Fork Mountain the next day, we had less than one inch.

And even further east is Shenandoah County, Virginia (just east of Great North Mountain) - I recently learned that Shenandoah County is in a "mini" rain shadow, with mountain ranges to the east and west, and is one of the driest places in Virginia.  Hence a fair number of vineyards and wineries there.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Takumi

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 01, 2013, 02:27:49 PM
Heh....the comment above seems more prescient than ever because Skyline Drive is now CLOSED due to the government shutdown.
Yes, I have plans to attend a car meet that involved driving on Skyline Drive this weekend. The VA 230 Prelude Meet doesn't have the same ring to it as The Skyline Drive Prelude meet, but hey, curvy mountain road hoonage is curvy mountain road hoonage, and given the leaves are just starting to change here, there should be some decent color up there Saturday. Plus that's $15 I can put elsewhere on the trip.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

froggie

I'd think the climb on US 211 would be better for "curvey mountain road hoonage" than VA 230.  Or is it because of too much traffic on 211?

mtfallsmikey

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 01, 2013, 04:45:08 PM

There is massive elevation change there, especially headed to or from the Allegheny Front.  Even in the middle of summer, it's nearly always cooler at the top of the Front than it is to the east.

Canaan Valley is still pretty high, but not as high as the Eastern  Continental Divide.

And even further east is Shenandoah County, Virginia (just east of Great North Mountain) - I recently learned that Shenandoah County is in a "mini" rain shadow, with mountain ranges to the east and west, and is one of the driest places in Virginia.  Hence a fair number of vineyards and wineries there.

Not sure if that applies this year or not. Shenandoah Co. has had more rain than in Frederick Co. You can tell the difference in the overall color of the trees, and fields. The farmers up there got 2 really good cuttings of hay this summer. I noticed the same effect on Sunday when I went to Capon Bridge for the Founder's Day Festival. I went over north Mt. on 55/48, then took 259 N. to Yellow Springs, then River Rd. to C. Bridge, everything's a lot greener there. (BTW, theat is a real nice little scenic drive for you City Folk). The Valley was once the "Breadbasket of the Confederacy", due to the clay soil which is rich in minerals. That's why the Union burned it at the end of the war.

BTW, the Fall Festival in Wardensville is next weekend (Oct. 11-13).

Takumi

Quote from: froggie on October 02, 2013, 01:57:33 AM
I'd think the climb on US 211 would be better for "curvey mountain road hoonage" than VA 230.  Or is it because of too much traffic on 211?

The meet's main site is Heavenly Acres Campground off VA 230 near Stanardsville. The meeting place is in Warrenton. The initial route between them was indeed US 211 to Skyline to US 33 to 230, but the organizer changed the route to US 29 to 230. I offered the compromise route of 211 to Sperryville, then US 522/VA 231 to rejoin US 29 at Madison, but he wasn't comfortable with the idea since he'd never driven it. SR 810 is right there, as well, even though it doesn't look like it has a whole lot of elevation changes.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: mtfallsmikey on October 02, 2013, 06:43:59 AM
Not sure if that applies this year or not.

I don't claim to know - and  I believe your local knowledge is a whole lot  better than mine.

I was educated to the microclimate of Shenandoah  County by the owner of a vineyard and winery just west of I-81 at Tom's Brook.

Shenandoah Co. has had more rain than in Frederick Co. You can tell the difference in the overall color of the trees, and fields. The farmers up there got 2 really good cuttings of hay this summer. I noticed the same effect on Sunday when I went to Capon Bridge for the Founder's Day Festival. I went over north Mt. on 55/48, then took 259 N. to Yellow Springs, then River Rd. to C. Bridge, everything's a lot greener there. (BTW, theat is a real nice little scenic drive for you City Folk). The Valley was once the "Breadbasket of the Confederacy", due to the clay soil which is rich in minerals. That's why the Union burned it at the end of the war.

I have driven 259 from U.S. 50 south across a chunk of West Virginia (Baker and Lost River) and back to I-81/U.S. 11.  But not River Road.

mtfallsmikey

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 02, 2013, 12:57:05 PM
Not sure if that applies this year or not.

I don't claim to know - and  I believe your local knowledge is a whole lot  better than mine.

I was educated to the microclimate of Shenandoah  County by the owner of a vineyard and winery just west of I-81 at Tom's Brook.

Shenandoah Co. has had more rain than in Frederick Co. You can tell the difference in the overall color of the trees, and fields. The farmers up there got 2 really good cuttings of hay this summer. I noticed the same effect on Sunday when I went to Capon Bridge for the Founder's Day Festival. I went over north Mt. on 55/48, then took 259 N. to Yellow Springs, then River Rd. to C. Bridge, everything's a lot greener there. (BTW, theat is a real nice little scenic drive for you City Folk). The Valley was once the "Breadbasket of the Confederacy", due to the clay soil which is rich in minerals. That's why the Union burned it at the end of the war.

I have driven 259 from U.S. 50 south across a chunk of West Virginia (Baker and Lost River) and back to I-81/U.S. 11.  But not River Road.

From Wardensville north to Rt. 50 @ Gore, a very scenic section, try it sometime. River Road leads WNW from 259 @ Yellow Springs to Capon Bridge.

Fixed quote. - rmf67

seicer

A lot of work is still ongoing west of Elkins on Corridor H that was completed IIRC 2003. It wasn't in that poor of condition, but it did have some minor joint separation (tar applied in the joints a few years back) and some patches that were done in asphalt. It's being extensively patched with concrete and diamond grinded.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Sherman Cahal on October 09, 2013, 10:06:32 AM
A lot of work is still ongoing west of Elkins on Corridor H that was completed IIRC 2003. It wasn't in that poor of condition, but it did have some minor joint separation (tar applied in the joints a few years back) and some patches that were done in asphalt. It's being extensively patched with concrete and diamond grinded.

I was on it back in early September and it seemed to be in very good condition.

Do you know if WVDOH is going to sign "western" Corridor H as U.S. 48 before the missing segment  between Kerens and Davis is built?

H.B. suggested it might be time to sign U.S. 219 as U.S. 48 through Parsons.  I think it's a good idea.

hbelkins

WV had to do something once the road from US 220 to Knobley Road was completed. They opted to sign US 48 to that point and then go back and sign it along WV 55. They could have done what they did with the short segment of Coalfields Expressway near Beckley and sign it as WV 48, but they opted for the US route signage. So I think it's therefore logical to sign US 48 on the new route when it opens, then along existing US 219 and US 33.

I also think it's time for Virginia to remove the VA 55 signage west of I-81 and West Virginia to take down WV 55 signs on that long section of highway that is also co-signed with other routes. Right now the only section of WV 55 that is not signed with another route is at the highway's very southwestern end.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

seicer

It is quite confusing, with US 33, 219 and 250, WV 55, 92 and 259 all occupying it at some point. The old alignments should be reserved for those more minor routes, with the mainline being reserved for either US 33 or US 48.

1995hoo

Slightly off-topic but somewhat related....connecting from the eastern portion of Corridor H to the eastern end of Corridor D at Clarksburg. Assuming clinches and seeing the western part of Corridor H are not an issue, what would you folks consider the best route? Follow "Future Corridor H" (for lack of a better term) through Thomas and Parsons to Elkins, or go up to Route 50 and take that west?

Last time, heading east, we took Corridor D to I-79, then Corridor H to Elkins before turning southeast to Seneca Rocks. I have not travelled the section between Elkins and Thomas, nor have I travelled US-50 between US-219 in Maryland and I-79. I'm sure in terms of travel time Corridor H is the faster route, but just how is that part of US-50? I assume it's a two-lane road. That doesn't bother me much unless it's super-twisty with minimal passing zones.

NE2

In hindsight, building Corridor H along US 50 to Clarksburg might have been a better option. It would only add about 10 miles to Charleston-bound traffic, while saving 30-35 miles (over the I-79 jog) for Parkersburg-bound traffic.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 09, 2013, 03:03:52 PM
Last time, heading east, we took Corridor D to I-79, then Corridor H to Elkins before turning southeast to Seneca Rocks. I have not travelled the section between Elkins and Thomas, nor have I travelled US-50 between US-219 in Maryland and I-79. I'm sure in terms of travel time Corridor H is the faster route, but just how is that part of US-50? I assume it's a two-lane road. That doesn't bother me much unless it's super-twisty with minimal passing zones.

If you are coming from the future west end of eastern Corridor H in Davis (where W.Va. 93 (Power Plant Highway) ends) make a right onto W.Va. 32  and follow that to U.S. 219.  W.Va. 32 ends at U.S. 219 - you can go straight ahead if you want to go north to Oakland, Md., or make a left across the large bridge over the North Fork of the Blackwater River to head south.  Aside from Oakland, you can also head north to Fairfax Stone State Park, the source of the Potomac River, which is a short distance east of U.S. 219 off of Kempton Road.

U.S. 219 between Thomas and Kerens (where western Corridor H picks-up) is nearly all two-lane arterial.

Going south on 219 from Thomas, you pass a windfarm on the west side of the  Allegheny range, and there is a scenic view on the right after that.  Then there is a long and decently steep grade downhill to Parsons, with sharp horseshoe-type curve about halfway down. 

Watch out for strict speed limit enforcement through the corporate part of Parsons by the Tucker County Sheriff's Office (I don't know if Parsons has a municipal police department).  Like  some other small West Virginia towns, there is a Sheetz in downtown Parsons.  From Parsons to Kerens, U.S. 219 is a reasonably straight 50 or 55 MPH road.

1995hoo

Maybe I wasn't clear. I know what the route is. I was asking which route you guys think is the better way west to Ohio from "eastern" Corridor H: "western" Corridor H (and the connecting roads required to get there) or north to US-50?

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 09, 2013, 03:50:43 PM
Maybe I wasn't clear. I know what the route is. I was asking which route you guys think is the better way west to Ohio from "eastern" Corridor H: "western" Corridor H (and the connecting roads required to get there) or north to US-50?

Sorry. 

I have not driven much of U.S. 50 west of Redhouse, Maryland toward I-79 (driven all of it between Redhouse and Ocean City, and all of its miles in California).  Looks like a lot of sharp curves between Redhouse and Bridgeport, W.Va. on Google.

West of Bridgeport, I believe it is a four-lane divided ARC Corridor D) highway to Parkersburg.

Corridor H (mostly U.S. 33) from Kerens to I-79 at Weston is a decent road, much like eastern Corridor H, but with a few signalized intersections.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.