News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Corridor H

Started by CanesFan27, September 20, 2009, 03:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

WV Governor Manchin has announced a ribbon-cutting for the Forman-to-Moorefield section next Wednesday.  Although the press release mentions the roadway may open "as early as next week", it doesn't specify when the roadway would actually open to traffic.

I might be able to get Wednesday off to go over and take a look.  If not, there's a pretty good chance I could hop over the following Saturday (the 30th)...and if not then, definitely Saturday the 6th.

rickmastfan67

If you do Froggie, let me know if US-48 shields are posted, because I would like to get to work on WV US-48's file for the CHM site. ;)

hbelkins

I wonder if this might not originally be signed WV 48 initially. The first segment of the Coalfields Expressway, future US 121, is signed WV 121.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SP Cook

WV plans are not to sign the route as US 48 until the "logical" route from Wardensville to Elkins.  Which I take to mean all of the parts shown in blue on the state's website.  The state is concerned about siphoning through traffic off I-81 and dumping it onto the local roads.  Once the blue parts are finished, the remaining (the red parts) could easily be signed as "temp 48" and be fine.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: SP Cook on October 22, 2010, 06:21:17 AM
WV plans are not to sign the route as US 48 until the "logical" route from Wardensville to Elkins.  Which I take to mean all of the parts shown in blue on the state's website.  The state is concerned about siphoning through traffic off I-81 and dumping it onto the local roads.  Once the blue parts are finished, the remaining (the red parts) could easily be signed as "temp 48" and be fine.

Then why do the signage plans mentioned in this post show US-48 shields?  If they aren't going to post it as US-48, why have US-48 shields in it instead of, say, WV-48 shields.

I'm just wondering if they are following thier own signage plans.

froggie

QuoteIf you do Froggie, let me know if US-48 shields are posted, because I would like to get to work on WV US-48's file for the CHM site.

Already done and submitted.

QuoteWV plans are not to sign the route as US 48 until the "logical" route from Wardensville to Elkins

The reality is different.  US 48 shields are posted.  I've seen and photographed them firsthand.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: froggie on October 22, 2010, 08:30:07 AM
QuoteIf you do Froggie, let me know if US-48 shields are posted, because I would like to get to work on WV US-48's file for the CHM site.

Already done and submitted.

Huh?  I'm the guy in charge of WV.  I need to at least look over the file before it's placed online encase I need to make any changes so it works with my other WV files.  Can you please send me the file Froggie?  You have a PM with my e-mail address in your Inbox now.

dave19

rickmastfan67

dave19

Thanks. Gonna go look at it right now.

froggie

Made it to the ribbon-cutting, which started around 1:30pm.  I won't bore you with the details, but of note was one of the speakers...Gov. Manchin's chief of staff...commenting that Corridor H should be designated a "corridor of national significance" (or something along those lines) and completed all the way to I-81.  The reasoning had a Homeland Security flair to it...traffic escaping the DC/Baltimore area in the event of an emergency.

Some notes:

- Except at the Patterson Creek bridge/interchange area and at the South Branch bridge, the new extension is fully concrete.  I've commented on this previously.

- The only indication that the segment west of Patterson Creek Rd is intended for "local traffic" is a sign requiring all trucks to exit at Patterson Creek Rd.

- On my way to the event, I noticed that US 48 shields were in the process of being added to WV 55 between Moorefield and Baker...a sign crew was in the middle of a swap as I drove past.  I talked to a WVDOH sign engineer about this, and he said they plan on signing US 48 all the way to the Virginia line...keeping the WV 55 shields in the process.  As of 4pm, signs were in place out to Baker, but no signs yet east of Baker.

- Sidebar off that last note:  I'll have to fix/extend the list I made for CHM and resend to James and Tim.

- It was also announced at the ribbon-cutting that the Corridor H extension would open that afternoon (i.e. yesterday afternoon), once crews made some last-minute tweaks, cleared out the tent and stage used for the ribbon-cutting (which sat in the westbound lanes at Patterson Creek), and moved the "Road Closed" signs.  I made a side-trip up to Bismark while waiting, then came back around 3:30ish.  While crews were still in the process of working, eastbound was "driveable" by then.

- Knobley Rd (CR 3, and the west end of the completed segment) was recently repaved, with a white shoulder stripe added south of Corridor H.  Previously, the only striping on the road was the centerline, and that's still the case north of Corridor H.

- Farther west, clearing has begun where Corridor H will tie into WV 42/93 at the top of Fore Knobs.

rickmastfan67

So, will US-48 be posted all the way to I-79, or only as far West as the newest segment of Corridor H that opened?

froggie

I didn't ask in that direction, but presumably only to Knobley Rd.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: froggie on October 28, 2010, 07:25:03 AM

I think then I'll shoot off an e-mail to WVDOT about that later today to be on the safe side.

LeftyJR

Did you snap any pics of the new section of Corridor H?

froggie

I did, just as I have with several other trips to the area over the past 2 years to document construction.  Whether I create an actual page for them or post them to Flickr is undecided at this point.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on October 28, 2010, 07:31:50 AM
Quote from: froggie on October 28, 2010, 07:25:03 AM

I think then I'll shoot off an e-mail to WVDOT about that later today to be on the safe side.

I have just sent the e-mail.  I'll let you guys know when I get a responce.

Chris

Someone called VAFreeways (is he a member here?) made a video of the new corridor H:

froggie

QuoteSomeone called VAFreeways (is he a member here?)

Not to my knowledge.  He lives in the DC area but thus far has only posted material to YouTube.

hbelkins

I'm hoping to drive the new section of Corridor H next Wednesday, on my way to the Northeast. I'll be coming in from US 219 north to WV 93 east, turning onto WV 42 south at Bismarck.

To get onto the new routing of US 48/Corridor H, where will I need to turn off of WV 42 to access the new alignment?

froggie

Quote- Knobley Rd (CR 3, and the west end of the completed segment)

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on November 07, 2010, 09:10:30 PM
Quote- Knobley Rd (CR 3, and the west end of the completed segment)

Hopefully it will be signed from WV 42, or any of the myriad of GPS devices I'll have going will have it duly marked. I've seen too many places in WV where the county route signs have been knocked down and not yet replaced.

rickmastfan67

I just got an e-mail back from WVDOT.

QuoteThe signing of Corridor H as US 48 currently is limited to the section generally between Knobley Road (Grant CR 3) to Wardensville. If additional information is needed, please contact Mr. David Bodnar of our Engineering Division at [phone number removed].

Don't know when they mention Wardensville if they meant the end of the constructed Corridor H, or the WV/VA border along WV-55.

So, if anybody is in the area of Wardensville, please check out to see if the WV US-48 is connected to the VA US-48 via WV-55.

froggie

QuoteI talked to a WVDOH sign engineer about this, and he said they plan on signing US 48 all the way to the Virginia line...keeping the WV 55 shields in the process.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: froggie on November 09, 2010, 09:10:53 PM
QuoteI talked to a WVDOH sign engineer about this, and he said they plan on signing US 48 all the way to the Virginia line...keeping the WV 55 shields in the process.

Key word there is "plan".  I just want 100% conformation that it will(is) posted all the way to VA. ;)   Can't hurt to be safe before WV US-48 is put online.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.