News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New Jersey Turnpike

Started by hotdogPi, December 22, 2013, 09:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Quote from: famartin on September 18, 2019, 03:21:17 PM
Quote from: bzakharin on September 18, 2019, 02:10:49 PM
Quote from: KEVIN_224 on September 18, 2019, 01:12:39 PM
Getting back to the NJ Turnpike now. Is Exit 1 technically the toll plaza near the southern end? I know there's an unnumbered exit after the plaza but before the Delaware Memorial Bridge in Pennsville. I know since me and a friend stayed in a hotel off of that exit once in 2009.
Yes and yes. I've always wondered why that exit doesn't mention US 40 East when going southbound. Does nobody use the Turnpike South to US 40 East?

I’d suspect it’s a very small number of people.
Exit 2 via US 322 most people would use to go east on US 40.  Plus Exit 3 connects indirectly via NJ 168 and NJ 42 to the ACE if anyone is going all the way to the end of US 40 as well.

CR 540 is signed as well, so its mainly local Salem County, and lodging for straight through travelers that use it mostly.   Also Woodstown on US 40 is also accessible from NJ 45 at Mullica Hill and Pole Tavern via NJ 77.   Malaga and Elmer from Route 55 from Exit 3 and some turns.

Pretty much all points along Route 40 are available from previous exits.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/qaPkw5iqVcZPgC2s5
I am impressed!  New York is the control city on I-78 W Bound for I-95 NB.  I guess miracles do happen!

Sheryl Crowe

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman65 on October 01, 2019, 12:36:46 AM
https://goo.gl/maps/qaPkw5iqVcZPgC2s5
I am impressed!  New York is the control city on I-78 W Bound for I-95 NB.  I guess miracles do happen!
At this particular location, and given that a sizeable amount of I-78 westbound traffic is coming from the Lincoln Tunnel (i.e. away from NYC); the use of New York for I-95 northbound is not appropriate IMHO.  I would've used the Geo. Washington Bridge as a control point as per some of the other newer I-95/NJTP signage from Newark northward... or even Fort Lee or New Haven (I know that using either The Bronx or even the old-school New England as primary listings are no longer MUTCD-kosher).

This is one case where blindly following MUTCD without applying/consdiering basic logic & common sense can create some confusion.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman65

Well The Bronx is used within the city as well as Manhattan post MUTCD change.  Before it was all bridges and tunnels or regions outside the city as well as NJ being treated as another region or city ignoring the Garden State had sizable cities.

I am disappointed that Clinton was removed for Newark for the I-78 pullthrough exit guide (Exit 14 is Through Traffic here ironically).  Just Newark is now used.  I would use both or even if they considered Allentown (which is PA's third largest city) would be better than Clinton, even though I had no issue with that one.  Easton, on the other hand, is copied and reminents of when US 22 took motorists west from before the freeway was built past Exit 3 in Still Valley and I-78 had a segment end there until 1990.  Easton was (and is) a good point at the time being that US 22 when right through the heart of that city being across the state line, but now I-78 whizzes by it before arriving at the much larger Allentown, so if so Allentown should be considered here.

Sheryl Crowe

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman65 on October 01, 2019, 10:41:53 AMWell The Bronx is used within the city as well as Manhattan post MUTCD change
Are those particular signs that use such in New York or New Jersey?
GPS does NOT equal GOD

vdeane

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 01, 2019, 10:51:35 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on October 01, 2019, 10:41:53 AMWell The Bronx is used within the city as well as Manhattan post MUTCD change
The more I read his sentence, the more confusing it got.  I'd normally take "within the city" to mean NYC, but "as well as Manhattan" is interesting, since Manhattan is in NYC (it's NYC's downtown, in fact!).  "Post MUTCD change" is also interesting since that would appear to refer back to the NJ Turnpike, which naturally doesn't have any signs in NYC.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

PHLBOS

Quote from: vdeane on October 01, 2019, 01:25:35 PM
The more I read his sentence, the more confusing it got.  I'd normally take "within the city" to mean NYC, but "as well as Manhattan" is interesting, since Manhattan is in NYC (it's NYC's downtown, in fact!).  "Post MUTCD change" is also interesting since that would appear to refer back to the NJ Turnpike, which naturally doesn't have any signs in NYC.
I'm assuming those signs he's referring to are indeed in New York (State/City) along I-95 as opposed to New Jersey.  I was asking as a means to verify/confirm. 

That said, signing I-95/NJTP northbound for NY/NYC north of Exit 13 IMHO is ludicrous given that one is already approaching connecting roads/highways that reach the city, Manhattan in particular, quicker than if one remains on I-95/NJTP to the GW Bridge.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on October 01, 2019, 10:41:53 AM
Well The Bronx is used within the city as well as Manhattan post MUTCD change.  Before it was all bridges and tunnels or regions outside the city as well as NJ being treated as another region or city ignoring the Garden State had sizable cities.

I am disappointed that Clinton was removed for Newark for the I-78 pullthrough exit guide (Exit 14 is Through Traffic here ironically).  Just Newark is now used.  I would use both or even if they considered Allentown (which is PA's third largest city) would be better than Clinton, even though I had no issue with that one.  Easton, on the other hand, is copied and reminents of when US 22 took motorists west from before the freeway was built past Exit 3 in Still Valley and I-78 had a segment end there until 1990.  Easton was (and is) a good point at the time being that US 22 when right through the heart of that city being across the state line, but now I-78 whizzes by it before arriving at the much larger Allentown, so if so Allentown should be considered here.

No one has seemed to know what to sign 78's thru cities as for years. NJDOT is all over the place, depending on when the signs went up. Some say Clinton, some P'Burg, some Easton. I kind of wish that they'd get on the ball about that.

As for the Turnpike, my gut would be to use New York (or New York City if we need to be pedantic) as the CC up thru 14, and from there go back to which Hudson River Crossing it is, with a few BGS's showing "New York City via" and show the Holland via 14C, Lincoln via 16E and GWB via 18E/W" and call it a day. As for the ramp to the mainline Turnpike from the NBHCE, New York is fine with me, because there are still 2 other crossings you can get to from the NB direction.

roadman65

City means NYC or collectively Manhattan.  Growing up in NJ we used "the city"  as common as "the Parkway"  for the GSP when referring to the Big Apple.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 01, 2019, 01:35:53 PM
I'm assuming those signs he's referring to are indeed in New York (State/City) along I-95 as opposed to New Jersey.  I was asking as a means to verify/confirm. 

That said, signing I-95/NJTP northbound for NY/NYC north of Exit 13 IMHO is ludicrous given that one is already approaching connecting roads/highways that reach the city, Manhattan in particular, quicker than if one remains on I-95/NJTP to the GW Bridge.
I can't recall where but The Bronx as well as Manhattan are signed in the five boroughs.  Staten Island is signed like a city at Exit 127 of the Parkway at the Driscoll Bridge.

Sheryl Crowe

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman65 on October 01, 2019, 04:02:42 PMI can't recall where but The Bronx as well as Manhattan are signed in the five boroughs.  Staten Island is signed like a city at Exit 127 of the Parkway at the Driscoll Bridge.
Staten Island is also signed for Exit 13 (I-278) off the I-95/NJTP.

As far as the Bronx being signed along I-95 northbound is concerned: based on the latest GSVs, there are no signs in NJ that list such and the current signs along the NY side of the G.W. Bridge use Cross Bronx Expressway for a listing as opposed to simply The Bronx.  New Haven, CT is the first listed control city for I-95 northbound in NY & is first used on pull-through signage at I-87.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman65

I know Queens is for I-87 since the Triborough is been removed from that particular interchange.

Sheryl Crowe

famartin

Quote from: roadman65 on October 01, 2019, 07:51:15 PM
I know Queens is for I-87 since the Triborough is been removed from that particular interchange.

Here's a sign for Manhattan along I-678 NB at I-95/I-295 in da Bronx
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.826213,-73.8361668,3a,75y,349.81h,90.28t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1spkJFn6DPNX1DdvAWZ1hluA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

famartin

roadman65

Yup being the GWB is with it I would have to agree. Again NJ is being ignored as it has cities along I-95.  Well I am glad no Geo Washington Br as that was NYs way of shortening the name.  The "G"  is shorter though and is much better choice.

Sheryl Crowe

famartin

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

famartin

jaip

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on September 16, 2019, 07:45:22 PM
More mileage signs, and having Philadelphia be the control city from the GWB south.

Why bother? Philadelphia is inconsequential.
[/quote]

Lol! Says a guy from Cherry Hill, NJ!

jaip

Quote from: bluecountry on September 16, 2019, 09:22:46 AM
Anybody else notice, when driving south on the NJTP, around exit 9 I believe, maybe 11, there is now a sign indicating the miles to Camden and Philadelphia?
I always wondered why on the NJTP south there is hardly a mention of Philly.

Yes, I saw the sign earlier this week. It is between exit 9 and 8A. I hope they install a few more of the sign beginning GWB. The sign is huge, you will not miss it. It read
Trenton 21 miles
Philadelphia 51 miles
Camden __miles (I missed miles to Camden because I was cruising at 70 mph)

Also, it looks weird to see 95 South and Camden on same pull-thru sign.

roadman65

Then I wonder if that Trenton 30 Miles signs is still up at Exit 9 in the outer roadway?   That was copied over for when NJ 33 was the route into Trenton before I-195 and Exit 7A was constructed and never got updated. 

It appears that the one described is updated.

Sheryl Crowe

jaip

I did not see Trenton 30 miles sign and I was looking for it. Looks like it's gone.

roadman65

Those signs were usually posted every 10 miles on the tenth mile.  Going NB it would be interesting to see New York at 100 miles and then at 90 miles, followed by 80 etc, etc, etc.

Now even though the 3 point signs are good for travelers it is kind of a sad thing that the old nostalgia is gone.  That Trenton 30 miles was there as long as I could remember.  It was a shame that it did not have another with it on the inner roadway for car traffic going SB.

Sheryl Crowe

NJRoadfan

The sign in question was on the inner roadway: https://goo.gl/maps/wZgxfMakQnzyp8tS9

jaip

I was in trucks-cars lane. My bad.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.