News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Are any US routes in danger of being decommissioned?

Started by hotdogPi, February 05, 2019, 04:10:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nexus73

US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Beltway

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on February 09, 2019, 10:34:32 PM
US 202 could be gotten rid of. Its basically an aggregation of SRS from ME to DE. Not a direct route at all.

US-202 is an interregional route between I-95 in DE, thru PA, and to I-287 at Bridgewater NJ.

http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Road Hog

Quote from: Henry on February 07, 2019, 10:19:57 AM
Quote from: dvferyance on February 05, 2019, 07:11:32 PM
The only one I think at risk would be 266.
Sure, and by that same logic, US 166. But their parent still exists, albeit as an Historic Route, so I'd keep them.
In fact, 266 could easily be extended into Arkansas along AR 22 and probably farther (with a duplex with US 64). It's probably the only remaining US route that makes logical sense to extend into Arkansas as just about all the good candidates are now taken.

Flint1979

PHLBOS

Quote from: Beltway on February 10, 2019, 12:51:11 AM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on February 09, 2019, 10:34:32 PM
US 202 could be gotten rid of. Its basically an aggregation of SRS from ME to DE. Not a direct route at all.

US-202 is an interregional route between I-95 in DE, thru PA, and to I-287 at Bridgewater NJ.
Further upthread, someone suggested that either that either the DE-PA-NJ stretch of US 202 be either renumbered or truncated north of I-287.  US 202 from central NJ northward featured multiple concurrencies.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

froggie

^ Could renumber the "important" part of the corridor (Wilmington to 287) as US 122...that was it's original route number prior to 1935.

silverback1065

Flint1979

bugo

US 266 is likely safe because there is an OK 266 not far away in Verdigris. ODOT couldn't be bothered to renumber one of them.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: hbelkins on February 06, 2019, 11:10:55 AM
US routes should be important interstate (small "i") highways that link areas and corridors not served by Interstate (capital "I") highways. There probably should be concurrencies and renumberings to keep highways above the 300-mile length guideline.

If I was in charge, I'd decommission or truncate a whole bunch of routes. There's no need for US 11 to exist, since it's paralleled by a interstate for most of its length. (If they can do away with US 25 in Ohio and Michigan, or US 21 in West Virginia and Ohio, why keep US 11.) And what major corridor does US 522 serve between Culpeper and its southern terminus?

As for US 211, its short length and intrastate nature make it a prime candidate for decommissioning, but the physical characteristics of the road (mostly four-lane) would warrant some sort of US highway designation. The issue would be either finding some other number to extend along US 211, or finding another route to extend US 211 along. Now that US 311 is an interstate route, its logical extension is along US 360.

And I really think the useless concurrency of US 17 with US 50 needs to be eliminated.

US 11 provides a good signed alternate route to I-81.

Flint1979

US-159's purpose is to bypass Atchison, Kansas and Saint Joseph, Missouri for through traffic on US-59.

hbelkins

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on November 09, 2020, 01:37:58 PM

So would VA 11, WV 11, MD 11, PA 11, and NY 11. Make it a long multi-state state route.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: hbelkins on November 09, 2020, 05:29:58 PM

So would VA 11, WV 11, MD 11, PA 11, and NY 11. Make it a long multi-state state route.
Hence you have an interstate connection.  Now you have a definition of a US highway.

bob7374

Guess we'll find out (hopefully) soon if there are any decommissionings this year. This year's fall AASHTO meeting is happening virtually starting today (11/9) through Thursday. The Special Committee on US Route Numbering should meet some time during the meeting.

hbelkins

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on November 09, 2020, 05:44:50 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on November 09, 2020, 05:29:58 PM

Hence you have an interstate connection.  Now you have a definition of a US highway.

But it's not the through route between the cities served by the route. The interstate is. If there has to be a US route designation, move it to the interstate. Look at US 40 in western Kansas. It is concurrent with I-70 and the old route isn't even signed as a state route in most places.

The advent of the interstates has changed the purpose of the US route system. If they truly are supposed to be through routes of major regional significance, there's no need to have a US route parallel to an interstate. Save the US routes for the corridors the interstates don't serve. I think a really good argument could be made for decommissioning US 60 east of Fort Knox. There are really only two independent segments that aren't closely paralleled by an interstate -- between Charleston and Lewisburg, and between Lexington and Richmond. Most through interregional traffic is going to use I-64 between those locations anyway. Make them state routes.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

GaryV

^^^
And what about US-25 in KY?  Most of it is redundant.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: GaryV on November 10, 2020, 12:43:49 PM
^^^
And what about US-25 in KY?  Most of it is redundant.

US 25 has a significant split to Middlesboro that makes it a contender to stay.

TheHighwayMan3561

Minnesota has long-range plans to decommission the remaining section of US 61 north of I-94 in the next decade or so. It's mostly redundant to I-35E and handles local movements only, plus a good chunk of it between 94 and MN 36 is local street which MnDOT feels is best handled at the city/county level.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Avalanchez71

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on November 10, 2020, 02:25:53 PM
Minnesota has long-range plans to decommission the remaining section of US 61 north of I-94 in the next decade or so. It's mostly redundant to I-35E and handles local movements only, plus a good chunk of it between 94 and MN 36 is local street which MnDOT feels is best handled at the city/county level.
Why go to the trouble of taking down a US 61 sign only to put up a SR 61 sign?

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on November 10, 2020, 03:38:23 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on November 10, 2020, 02:25:53 PM
Why go to the trouble of taking down a US 61 sign only to put up a SR 61 sign?

As it relates to my post, this segment will be turned back over to Ramsey/Washington/Chisago Counties. If you're asking about the MN 61 segment, that's covered elsewhere.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.