News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluecountry

Now that the GWB is cashless, do they have plans to remove the booths entirely, and not have the obstruction of the structures and extra lane merges?

storm2k

Quote from: bluecountry on September 07, 2022, 09:08:09 PM
Now that the GWB is cashless, do they have plans to remove the booths entirely, and not have the obstruction of the structures and extra lane merges?

Eventually. They're doing the Holland Tunnel and I'm sure at some point they will look to remove the booths from the GWB approaches.

ixnay

Quote from: storm2k on September 07, 2022, 09:26:41 PM

Eventually. They're doing the Holland Tunnel and I'm sure at some point they will look to remove the booths from the GWB approaches.

It will be interesting to watch, especially on YT's GWB Live Stream (courtesy of Fort Lee's finest) (when it's online).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1nmRcAklH0

bluecountry

What's that mean, 40 years?
I think it would really help.

roadman65

Quote from: bluecountry on September 11, 2022, 06:46:07 PM

What's that mean, 40 years?
I think it would really help.

Well considering it took many decades to remove the Verrazano Bridge Plaza after it went one way tolling, this, I'm sure, could be a permanent fixture for a long time.

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadgeek Adam

That's a different agency altogether and the irony is we have two way tolling again now, so it ended up coming full circle back to 1986 on that. PANYNJ is pretty good about quickcanning the toll booths
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

roadman65

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on September 12, 2022, 11:57:39 AM
That's a different agency altogether and the irony is we have two way tolling again now, so it ended up coming full circle back to 1986 on that. PANYNJ is pretty good about quickcanning the toll booths

Point was anything is possible. If the now defunct Triborough Bridge and Tunnel Authority can do it, so can the PANYNJ too.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadgeek Adam

PANYNJ is pretty good about this thing. I cannot for the life of me expect them to leave abandoned tolllbooths standing 25 years like the TBTA did. That isn't their style. They wiped out the old PATH entrances fast when the Oculus opened.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

roadman65

Hope so.  I think they can do a better job, however I've seen other states not remove plazas after the tolling stop. FTE in Florida is one of them.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on September 14, 2022, 08:42:20 AM
Hope so.  I think they can do a better job, however I've seen other states not remove plazas after the tolling stop. FTE in Florida is one of them.

PTC doesn't seem to be in a huge hurry to remove their plazas either. Even in places where they had ORT lanes, like the Mid County interchange they still have some of the booths open just to drive thru.

Mr. Matté

Add another 2-lane* road in the state with a 55-mph speed limit: the entirety of the US 206 Bypass. The count is now up to 6 (also parts of 54, 70, 72, 539, and 33 southeast of Freehold*). It was formerly 45 south of Hillsborough Road and 50 on the original part and the 4-lane part north of CR 514.

*Ok, they're part of a divided super 2

storm2k

Quote from: Mr. Matté on September 25, 2022, 08:13:54 PM
Add another 2-lane* road in the state with a 55-mph speed limit: the entirety of the US 206 Bypass. The count is now up to 6 (also parts of 54, 70, 72, 539, and 33 southeast of Freehold*). It was formerly 45 south of Hillsborough Road and 50 on the original part and the 4-lane part north of CR 514.

Still not entirely sure why NJDOT didn't just make the whole bypass 4 lanes, but what do I know? Not the first time NJDOT's taken this tact. They are making the section between Brooks Blvd and the bypass 4 lanes slowly but surely, and it would be great if they could make it four lanes all the way to 295, but I know that's probably never going to happen south of Montgomery.

roadman65

Quote from: storm2k on September 25, 2022, 09:53:37 PM

Still not entirely sure why NJDOT didn't just make the whole bypass 4 lanes, but what do I know? Not the first time NJDOT's taken this tact. They are making the section between Brooks Blvd and the bypass 4 lanes slowly but surely, and it would be great if they could make it four lanes all the way to 295, but I know that's probably never going to happen south of Montgomery.

US 206 also needs to be four lanes as well from I-287 at Bedminster to I-80 at Roxbury.

Then you have US 9 that needs widening in both Lakewood and Toms River Townships as well as from Beachwood to Manahawkin. 

NJ 23 could use a freeway alignment north of Stockholm, as traffic there warrants it and the existing NJ 23 is too winding for a typical widening.

It’s just not happening. The Star Ledger used to write articles in the eighties about how far behind the state is with projects. If FDOT ran NJDOT US 206 would be four lanes from Somerville to Princeton and a bypass of Princeton to, with a realigned roadway to I-295. US 206 south of the Brunswick Circle would be concurrent with US 1, and NJ 129 would be US 206 into NJ 129 and I-295. However, NJ, for whatever reason, does things another way. FDOT won’t let municipal agencies maintain state or US routes. Oh yes, Hillsborough Bypass would be built as four lanes.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: storm2k on September 25, 2022, 09:53:37 PM

existing 206 should be nb only and Great Road should be sb only

jeffandnicole

There's usually so much opposition to any roadway building in NJ, that they probably compromise with a 2 lane roadway just to get something done. Florida and most other states are a lot more accommodating,

To be honest, even posting it as a 55 MPH roadway is a lot more generous than what NJ normally allows. NJ 133 is only 50 mph, and that was after public pressure forced the state to originally sign the 4 lane limited access roadway at 45 mph.

roadman65

Yeah, I'm sure NJ has its reasons and Florida has its.  However, Florida has its share of obstacles too.  Trying to get certain needed freeways is like pulling teeth.  Plus you have unlimited development causing traffic counts to increase faster than the EPA studies needed to get a road built.

I'm sure within a few years we will be behind in getting things done as well.  Heck the I-4 Ultimate was 30 years behind. That should have been built in 1980. 

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 25, 2022, 10:41:21 PM
There's usually so much opposition to any roadway building in NJ, that they probably compromise with a 2 lane roadway just to get something done. Florida and most other states are a lot more accommodating,

To be honest, even posting it as a 55 MPH roadway is a lot more generous than what NJ normally allows. NJ 133 is only 50 mph, and that was after public pressure forced the state to originally sign the 4 lane limited access roadway at 45 mph.

NIMBY opposition is what moved the southern end of the bypass to where it is today. It was supposed to go down to the Montgomery line, but that was stopped. However, most of the bypass itself is on undeveloped land and the whole point is to move the bulk of traffic away from the crowded "downtown" part of Hillsborough. I would imagine they could have just built it four lanes all the way without issue, but for cost savings most likely.

Alps

Quote from: storm2k on September 26, 2022, 03:05:54 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 25, 2022, 10:41:21 PM

NIMBY opposition is what moved the southern end of the bypass to where it is today. It was supposed to go down to the Montgomery line, but that was stopped. However, most of the bypass itself is on undeveloped land and the whole point is to move the bulk of traffic away from the crowded "downtown" part of Hillsborough. I would imagine they could have just built it four lanes all the way without issue, but for cost savings most likely.
the two lanes from the south end to great road is just lovely

kernals12

New Jersey is a slow growing state, Florida is a fast growing one. Also, just about every new freeway in Florida built in the last 40 years has been tolled.

kernals12

A solution could be in sight for the bottleneck on NJ 17 between I-80 and NJ 4 where it narrows to 4 lanes
https://www.nj.com/news/2022/09/work-on-a-97m-solution-to-one-of-njs-worst-bottlenecks-will-begin-in-2023.html

Alps

Quote from: kernals12 on September 29, 2022, 07:52:00 PM
A solution could be in sight for the bottleneck on NJ 17 between I-80 and NJ 4 where it narrows to 4 lanes
https://www.nj.com/news/2022/09/work-on-a-97m-solution-to-one-of-njs-worst-bottlenecks-will-begin-in-2023.html

Rochelle-Farview isn't the only parallel corridor - Maywood Ave. is another. And there is so much missing in that article that I can't speak to ;)

storm2k

Whatever they do there is long overdue. That's a hairy stretch to drive with the sheer volume of traffic heading towards Paramus, the Parkway, and trucks heading towards 287/Thruway via 17 to Mahwah.

famartin

Somehow I was under the impression that there was local resistance to widening in that area.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: famartin on September 30, 2022, 11:37:18 PM
Somehow I was under the impression that there was local resistance to widening in that area.
Shocking.

bzakharin

What's up with this sign for I-195 on CR 537?
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.1576143,-74.4277277,3a,49.5y,68.34h,89.01t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1ssW1yHSYxZxYxwZrbMoEtjQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!5m1!1e1
It seems to be unique in showing NJTP destinations for I-195 West, and it uses Philadelphia (Pennsylvania in older versions of the sign), not Camden (Del Mem Br in older versions) that I-195 itself uses. All other signs referencing I-195 West on CR 537 sign it for Trenton just like all other I-195 West signs I was able to find.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.