News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bzakharin on October 11, 2022, 09:36:15 PM
What's up with this sign for I-195 on CR 537?
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.1576143,-74.4277277,3a,49.5y,68.34h,89.01t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1ssW1yHSYxZxYxwZrbMoEtjQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!5m1!1e1
It seems to be unique in showing NJTP destinations for I-195 West, and it uses Philadelphia (Pennsylvania in older versions of the sign), not Camden (Del Mem Br in older versions) that I-195 itself uses. All other signs referencing I-195 West on CR 537 sign it for Trenton just like all other I-195 West signs I was able to find.

This was born out of the 95/295 redesignation a few years back. I believe someone on these forums was part of the project team, and was giving a fair bit of latitude to revise or update other signage "related" to I-95.  As this area sees a lot of traffic needing to get to 95, he was able to include this sign as part of the project. Changing Exit 60 on I-195/NJ 29 to Exit 1A/B was another part of that project.

bzakharin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 11, 2022, 09:54:22 PM
Quote from: bzakharin on October 11, 2022, 09:36:15 PM
What's up with this sign for I-195 on CR 537?
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.1576143,-74.4277277,3a,49.5y,68.34h,89.01t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1ssW1yHSYxZxYxwZrbMoEtjQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!5m1!1e1
It seems to be unique in showing NJTP destinations for I-195 West, and it uses Philadelphia (Pennsylvania in older versions of the sign), not Camden (Del Mem Br in older versions) that I-195 itself uses. All other signs referencing I-195 West on CR 537 sign it for Trenton just like all other I-195 West signs I was able to find.

This was born out of the 95/295 redesignation a few years back. I believe someone on these forums was part of the project team, and was giving a fair bit of latitude to revise or update other signage "related" to I-95.  As this area sees a lot of traffic needing to get to 95, he was able to include this sign as part of the project. Changing Exit 60 on I-195/NJ 29 to Exit 1A/B was another part of that project.
But the previous version of the sign said "Pennsylvania" which was never used used as a destination on either the NJ Turnpike or I-195 as far as I can remember. Exit 6 was signed "Pa Turnpike" or something similar.

roadman65

I know this is fictional, but considering what's written in this article https://www.nj.com/news/2021/12/ny-says-replace-the-narrow-outerbridge-crossing-but-nj-has-to-agree-to-a-study-first.html
shows traffic on the Outerbridge Crossing is real.

I was just curious. Being the State Street exit would have to be replaced to add for the new bridge approaches, I was wondering if there is a strong possibility that the missing moves to and from State and High Streets would be addressed. 

Considering that a u turn must be made at Amboy Avenue to accomplish traffic to and from Staten Island, I would assure that new ramps from a new bridge would be in the plans.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/SJbTYkbxAyuM21TY7

NJDOT needs to do a quality check and reverse the Long Valley and NJ 57 WEST and swap locations.  This sign is as confusing for a quick glance as the existence of NJ 182 the sign is locked on.

Sheryl Crowe

74/171FAN

Quote from: roadman65 on October 16, 2022, 11:58:59 AM

NJDOT needs to do a quality check and reverse the Long Valley and NJ 57 WEST and swap locations.  This sign is as confusing for a quick glance as the existence of NJ 182 the sign is locked on.

And yet, this puzzles me more.  I do believe that CR 517 was part of NJ 24 before the freeway was built farther east.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

roadman65

Yup.  Since 1991 ( over 30 years ago) it hasn't been. The current NJ 24 changed everything and made 24 what it is today.  This, though is Morris County, that maintains this assembly.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Question about Hunterdon County Route 523 in Flemington. I noticed that on Route 31 at Flemington Junction Road there is no more reference to it being CR 523 anymore. However at Walter E. Foran Blvd it does refer to it as CR 523 with also the intersection of Mine and Main Streets there are no shields present ( seen on GSV) to inform motorists of alignment changes there.

I assume Park Avenue is the new alignment for CR 523 being it defaults into Walter E. Foran Blvd since the apparent switch?

Again no shields either on Mine Street and Park Avenue with Park Avenue appearing to have a traffic calming zone along it through Downtown Flemington.  So that to me would suggest no route along it.

What’s the deal here?

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on October 16, 2022, 03:18:20 PM
Question about Hunterdon County Route 523 in Flemington. I noticed that on Route 31 at Flemington Junction Road there is no more reference to it being CR 523 anymore. However at Walter E. Foran Blvd it does refer to it as CR 523 with also the intersection of Mine and Main Streets there are no shields present ( seen on GSV) to inform motorists of alignment changes there.

I assume Park Avenue is the new alignment for CR 523 being it defaults into Walter E. Foran Blvd since the apparent switch?

Again no shields either on Mine Street and Park Avenue with Park Avenue appearing to have a traffic calming zone along it through Downtown Flemington.  So that to me would suggest no route along it.

What's the deal here?

I believe it's been on Walter Foran Blvd for a while now. Look at the intersection on GSV and the NJDOT street blades have the 523 shield and you can also see a reassurance shield just south of the intersection. Also, per the SLD, it's Foran Blvd -> Foran Blvd Extension -> Park Ave -> Mine St, but the latter two are maintained at a municipal level and I doubt the borough is going to pay for shields. That reminds me of following 28 through a lot of Plainfield, where most of it is maintained by the city and they don't really post shields.

ETA: Further evidence: NJDOT posts a shield for it at the NJ12 circle where it meets Mine St.

Alps

Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 16, 2022, 12:05:45 PM

And yet, this puzzles me more.  I do believe that CR 517 was part of NJ 24 before the freeway was built farther east.
That'd be the last 24 shield on the old road if it's still there.

famartin

Probably a standard practice to have the route shield portion at top, not necessarily a "quality check".  I see your point though.

storm2k

From Larry Higgs at NJ.com: Get your head out of your app! Snarky overhead signs debut on N.J. roadways.

New Jersey Department of Transportation staffers have come up with some new, attention getting ways to convey basic safety message and rules of the road, said Leanna Nelson, an NJDOT spokeswoman.

"The Department wanted to be more creative in how we present our safety messages,"  she said. "We are trying a few new messages that are both fun and catchy in hopes that people will remember the message to drive safely."

NJDOT resisted the whole "be funny with your VMS safety messages" trend for so long. I'm actually surprised they're trying it out at this point.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: storm2k on October 20, 2022, 12:21:40 PM
From Larry Higgs at NJ.com: Get your head out of your app! Snarky overhead signs debut on N.J. roadways.

New Jersey Department of Transportation staffers have come up with some new, attention getting ways to convey basic safety message and rules of the road, said Leanna Nelson, an NJDOT spokeswoman.

"The Department wanted to be more creative in how we present our safety messages,"  she said. "We are trying a few new messages that are both fun and catchy in hopes that people will remember the message to drive safely."

NJDOT resisted the whole "be funny with your VMS safety messages" trend for so long. I'm actually surprised they're trying it out at this point.

I guess they hired some new person that convinced the Commissioner to allow the messages.

It's not the first time I've seen NJDOT change their usage. Back when the VMSs were first installed, they were used very sparingly. They are now used quite often. And travel times used to be posted only during rush hours, but now are posted up to 24 hours a day.

storm2k

I did drive on Rt 22 in Somerville today where they installed VMS's a couple of years ago and it only had a very generic safety message, nothing snarky. I was kinda disappointed.

Alps

Quote from: storm2k on October 21, 2022, 02:06:10 AM
I did drive on Rt 22 in Somerville today where they installed VMS's a couple of years ago and it only had a very generic safety message, nothing snarky. I was kinda disappointed.
I've seen the funnies on 80, 287, and 24 so far.

famartin

Quote from: Alps on October 22, 2022, 01:09:54 AM
Quote from: storm2k on October 21, 2022, 02:06:10 AM
I've seen the funnies on 80, 287, and 24 so far.

Saw "Get your head out of your apps" and "hocus pocus drive with focus" on 295 so far.

roadman65

We all know that no one is going to heed that message.  Many if their texting aren't even paying attention to the fact the VMS is even there. :bigass:

Sheryl Crowe

TheGrassGuy

How did it take me THIS LONG to realize that the D&R Canal has received new GSV
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/j5k9gHDMsUsiCyKE9
I'm liking the way NJ denotes mileage to the state line on US 1.  Just post the cities on both sides of the Delaware River and let the imagination  rule.

However is the math correct?  Are both cities 3 miles apart?

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on October 30, 2022, 11:34:30 AM
https://goo.gl/maps/j5k9gHDMsUsiCyKE9
I'm liking the way NJ denotes mileage to the state line on US 1.  Just post the cities on both sides of the Delaware River and let the imagination  rule.

However is the math correct?  Are both cities 3 miles apart?

The two municipalities touch each other on the river. But, where US 1 first enters Trenton, Morrisville is about 3 1/4 miles away, so the different shown on the sign appears to be accurate.

roadman65

Yeah now I see, as Downtown is close to the river.  In NJ you have some signs using the city limits as a mileage point, and the rest to city centers.

Sheryl Crowe

famartin

Quote from: roadman65 on October 30, 2022, 05:33:35 PM
Yeah now I see, as Downtown is close to the river.  In NJ you have some signs using the city limits as a mileage point, and the rest to city centers.

Yes, that gets a bit vague a far as centers versus municipal boundaries. Has that been defined by MUTCD?

roadman65

NJ needs to get consistent with their mileage sign criteria.  They were up to constancy till 1998 when NJ started a campaign to add new plot point destinations where the signs are next posted after each destinations are reached for a new mileage sign to be seen.

Evidence is on US 1 entering the state from Morrisville that reads mileage to Plainsboro, New Brunswick, and Newark 45  miles away.  The next follow up is at Plainsboro with now New Brunswick, Woodbridge, and Newark.  Then after that the third is strategically placed in New Brunswick north of Route 18 for Woodbridge, Newark, and Fort Lee.   

These newer signs use the municipality limit rather than the center of the listed community. The original mileage signs used town centers or Downtowns.  Thus with the old and the new together, it can create some confusion due to the points plotted for mileage to.  In addition NJDOT in their campaign to convert to mixed case lettering, are carbon copying the old all caps onto the new signs, and not doing a quality check to see the current validility.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/paxTqXsjAEacfU847
South Broad Street is US Route 206.  Yet NJDOT fails to mention here on Route 129 at Hamilton Avenue.

Also what is the control city for NJ 68 referencing here?
https://goo.gl/maps/w1NhbhxoUzT5ajw7A

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

famartin

Quote from: roadman65 on November 05, 2022, 08:17:40 AM
https://goo.gl/maps/paxTqXsjAEacfU847
South Broad Street is US Route 206.  Yet NJDOT fails to mention here on Route 129 at Hamilton Avenue.

Also what is the control city for NJ 68 referencing here?
https://goo.gl/maps/w1NhbhxoUzT5ajw7A

There's more than a handful of instances statewide where this sort of thing happens for various routes. Generally it's where they follow city streets and probably shouldn't be for anything other than local travel. 206 at this location isn't even state maintained.

MDL is usually just referenced as "joint base"  in casual conversation and in the statewide emergency communications check roll call.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.