News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New Jersey Turnpike

Started by hotdogPi, December 22, 2013, 09:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on October 28, 2022, 08:30:15 AM
Wonder if they will ever build that 3rd lane from the Delaware Bridge to Exit 4.

I believe 2025 is the earliest they'll be able to start construction, and then go in stages.  Timing is subject to change. They have a bit of engineering, design and ROW work to do first.

bluecountry

Quote from: roadman65 on October 28, 2022, 11:35:48 AM
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on October 28, 2022, 08:30:15 AM
Wonder if they will ever build that 3rd lane from the Delaware Bridge to Exit 4.

Good question, but it's a popular one.  So you may agitate some, on here just like proposing I-76 to go to Atlantic City is so old that users become weary.

The answer is on the website https://www.njta.com/media/6542/2022-03-07-2022-2026_capital-projects-list_v06.pdf go to page 7 under capital
plan.

https://www.njta.com/media/6542/2022-03-07-2022-2026_capital-projects-list_v06.pdf if that don't work.

On another note, to respond to previous posts. The toll calculator reveals $ 19.35 to pay cash the entire length. 

Then over 9 bucks for the Parkway to the GWB. 

Outrageous!  So yes the tolls north of Exit 9 jump per mile still.
I really wish they prioritize having a crossover between the car and truck lanes, then widen the NJTP to 4 lanes from the PATP to exit 4, 3 lanes to exit 3, and leave the rest as 2.

odditude

Quote from: bluecountry on October 28, 2022, 01:53:35 PM

I really wish they prioritize having a crossover between the car and truck lanes, then widen the NJTP to 4 lanes from the PATP to exit 4, 3 lanes to exit 3, and leave the rest as 2.

i really wish you'd stop beating that dead horse

Alps

Quote from: odditude on October 28, 2022, 04:58:59 PM
Quote from: bluecountry on October 28, 2022, 01:53:35 PM

i really wish you'd stop beating that dead horse
Please keep your wishes to Fictional. Reality is real.

MultiMillionMiler

I guess it's illegal to cross over from one spur to the other through gaps in the barrier. I've seen multiple cars do that, but it's probably considered "unlawful use of the median or something. It's only doable because there are shoulders on both sides of all sets of lanes.

roadman65

You could do it through the service areas.  There is 3 of them to exit at, gently go through the area, and use the ramp leading to the other carriage way.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

MultiMillionMiler

I've done that. When I first realized the truck spurs were faster I switched over via one of the service areas. However, I have only driven in the cars spur since after a piece of cargo/degree came loose from a truck and came flying into my windshield, cracking it.

famartin

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on October 28, 2022, 07:21:49 PM
I've done that. When I first realized the truck spurs were faster I switched over via one of the service areas. However, I have only driven in the cars spur since after a piece of cargo/degree came loose from a truck and came flying into my windshield, cracking it.

I'm gonna take a moment to clarify some terminology (which probably will probably nitpick, but this is what I know them as)...

The "spurs" specifically refer to the split roadways north of Newark, where one branch goes east of downtown Secaucus and the other goes west. These are the eastern and western spurs. (history lesson: The eastern spur was the original built in 1952, the western was built in 1971).

From Newark south to Exit 6, its just the "car lanes' and  the "truck lanes" (officially just referred to as the inner and outer roadways).

Then there's the Newark Bay-Hudson County Extension (I-78) and the Pennsylvania Extension (the I-95 link to Philly and the PA Turnpike).

MultiMillionMiler

Well each set of lanes goes into one of the spurs, so effectively, each spur north of Newark is[ in fact the respective truck and car lanes. They switch positions but the same exact number of lanes is conserved. This is why the whole I-95 splitting thing isn't a big deal, because there isn't any "more roadway" when it splits then when it's together. It's the same amount of I-95.

roadman65

No, access  to both spur roadways north of Newark are available to both inner and outer roadways. One don't default into the other if that's what your implying.

Sheryl Crowe

famartin

Quote from: roadman65 on October 28, 2022, 09:34:04 PM
No, access  to both spur roadways north of Newark are available to both inner and outer roadways. One don't default into the other if that's what your implying.

What roadman said. Full access is provided to both spurs at each end. The only thing you can't do is go from one spur southbound directly to the other northbound and vice versa.

famartin

lstone19

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on October 28, 2022, 09:45:13 PM
But after the roadways crossover, which spur is ultimately the truck lanes down south, and which one ultimately becomes the car lanes?

Neither. The whole split complex between 14 and 15E is pretty much a split and then merge of equals. Southbound, it's keep right for the truck lanes and left for the car lanes on both roadways.

It's very different than at the north end where a case can be made that the western spur goes to/from the GWB and the eastern spur goes to/from I-80 (a very well designed complex that keeps the two major flows, Lincoln Tunnel via the eastern spur to/from I-80 separate from the through I-95 traffic that is encouraged by signs at both ends to use the western spur).

SignBridge

The above posts are correct. Both roadways split evenly into the two sets of southbound lanes. The mixing bowl is a complete transition of the roadways. Also a third set of southbound lanes begins there which becomes the exit roadway for Interchange 14. Not sure if it could be called a collector-distributor road as defined in the MUTCD.

You need to look at the overhead view on Google Earth or Streetview to see a good view of the roadway configuration. 

famartin

Quote from: lstone19 on October 28, 2022, 10:10:44 PM
But after the roadways crossover, which spur is ultimately the truck lanes down south, and which one ultimately becomes the car lanes?

Neither. The whole split complex between 14 and 15E is pretty much a split and then merge of equals. Southbound, it's keep right for the truck lanes and left for the car lanes on both roadways.

It's very different than at the north end where a case can be made that the western spur goes to/from the GWB and the eastern spur goes to/from I-80 (a very well designed complex that keeps the two major flows, Lincoln Tunnel via the eastern spur to/from I-80 separate from the through I-95 traffic that is encouraged by signs at both ends to use the western spur).

The signage is very different on the north end, but it still has the same full connectivity.

MultiMillionMiler

Is it true that the exits 68-72..etc are what the correct mile markers would have been had the somerset freeway been built? They coincidently look like exact exit continuations from I-80 eastbound.

famartin

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on October 28, 2022, 11:02:07 PM
Is it true that the exits 68-72..etc are what the correct mile markers would have been had the somerset freeway been built? They coincidently look like exact exit continuations from I-80 eastbound.

Yes.

MultiMillionMiler

That would have deprived even more of the Turnpike of the I-95 designation though.

Alps

Quote from: famartin on October 28, 2022, 09:12:59 PM

I'm gonna take a moment to clarify some terminology (which probably will probably nitpick, but this is what I know them as)...

The "spurs" specifically refer to the split roadways north of Newark, where one branch goes east of downtown Secaucus and the other goes west. These are the eastern and western spurs. (history lesson: The eastern spur was the original built in 1952, the western was built in 1971).

From Newark south to Exit 6, its just the "car lanes' and  the "truck lanes" (officially just referred to as the inner and outer roadways).

Then there's the Newark Bay-Hudson County Extension (I-78) and the Pennsylvania Extension (the I-95 link to Philly and the PA Turnpike).
No, the Easterly and Westerly Alignments are not spurs. Everyone just calls them that. (:

lstone19

Quote from: famartin on October 28, 2022, 10:29:15 PM
Quote from: lstone19 on October 28, 2022, 10:10:44 PM

The signage is very different on the north end, but it still has the same full connectivity.

Yes, the full connectivity is there but the two major flows I described never share pavement. And to go from the western alignment to/from I-80 involves using a single lane ramp. Not the split/merge of equals in the south mixing bowl.

roadman65

Quote from: famartin on October 28, 2022, 10:06:32 PM

Neither. Both spurs split with options for inner and outer roadways.

Western spur southbound split:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7211216,-74.1349551,3a,75y,185.66h,85.62t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sC2aKPwXS9ddOEY46DI665A!2e0!5s20211201T000000!7i16384!8i8192

Eastern spur southbound split (old signage):
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7245973,-74.1326491,3a,75y,208.48h,89.44t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sQMIoSM80i39hlgPluMHVKQ!2e0!5s20190701T000000!7i16384!8i8192

Note: Signage southbound is replaced on the eastern spur, just saw this in GSV:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7246961,-74.1325858,3a,75y,213.52h,95.76t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sLkPpc9nurXVLaFhk6yxJsQ!2e0!5s20220701T000000!7i16384!8i8192

The three lanes split into a set of two 2 lane ramps to either the Eastern or Western Spurs. This is how Exit 6 should have been done.  This would have made the car and truck lane merge south of Exit 6 easier as it would had for 4 lanes merge into 3 rather than 6 into 3.

Back to the set up, you have three lanes that have a wye split with the left lane continuing to the left split while the center lane divides into the right lane of the left split or the center lane becomes the left lane of the right split with the right lane continuing into the right split.  It's equal.  The only thing is on the inner roadway the Eastern Spur splits on the left where on the outer roadway the Eastern Spur splits to the right. 

That's because the connection between the Eastern Spur and Car Lanes is the original 1952 Turnpike mainline where the other ramps to that complex were built when the freeway was expanded.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Quote from: SignBridge on October 28, 2022, 10:15:33 PM
The above posts are correct. Both roadways split evenly into the two sets of southbound lanes. The mixing bowl is a complete transition of the roadways. Also a third set of southbound lanes begins there which becomes the exit roadway for Interchange 14. Not sure if it could be called a collector-distributor road as defined in the MUTCD.   

It's a cattle chute really.  However in Brick Township on another NJTA roadway at Exit 89 has the c/d roadway called a service road in their project documents when the interchange was modified.

So it's in a name conceived by the beholder.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on October 29, 2022, 10:34:51 AM
The three lanes split into a set of two 2 lane ramps to either the Eastern or Western Spurs. This is how Exit 6 should have been done.  This would have made the car and truck lane merge south of Exit 6 easier as it would had for 4 lanes merge into 3 rather than 6 into 3.

Is there an actual issue here, or do you just not the setup? I'm not aware of any problems with the merging of the lanes. Traffic flows nicely anytime I've gone thru here.

MultiMillionMiler

Agreed, it's one of the easiest merges ever. Most of the time there are so few cars in the same area that as long I am in a single lane after the merge, I don't worry about the lanes shrinking and disappearing and merging. I just stay in the middle and end up in the middle lane, unless cars force me to move.

ixnay

Quote from: Alps on October 28, 2022, 11:58:13 PM
Quote from: famartin on October 28, 2022, 09:12:59 PM

No, the Easterly and Westerly Alignments are not spurs. Everyone just calls them that. (:

Including me.  What does the NJTA call them?  Refresh my memory.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.