News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-66 HO/T Lanes

Started by froggie, January 23, 2015, 02:46:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 12, 2022, 03:17:46 PM
^^^^^

Also, significantly, the number of occupants needed to ride free inside the Beltway will increase to three (from the current two) on Monday, December 5. I haven't been on I-66 in about a month, so I don't know how well they're publicizing it. Fairness to people who currently ride free on there would suggest some pretty significant publicity is warranted.

The Post article annoys me, however, because of the following paragraph. That reporter, Luz Lazo, keeps reporting this same way despite readers pointing out to her that nothing new "opened" inside the Beltway–they just changed how the HOV rules work there. She consistently ignores all such feedback. It's very misleading. The now-retired Dr. Gridlock would have considered the feedback and, if he chose to disregard it, he would have said why.

QuoteThe project keeps three general-purpose lanes eastbound and westbound, adding two HOT lanes in each direction. Those lanes will connect with 10 miles of rush-hour, peak-direction toll lanes that opened in December 2017 between the Beltway and the District.

If the feedback is via Facebook responses to the news story, chances are the reporter isn't even looking at them. People will need to email the reporter and editors or specific other people if they want their comments to be noted.

davewiecking

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 12, 2022, 04:04:06 PM
^^^^^

Also, significantly, the number of occupants needed to ride free inside the Beltway will increase to three (from the current two) on Monday, December 5. I haven't been on I-66 in about a month, so I don't know how well they're publicizing it. Fairness to people who currently ride free on there would suggest some pretty significant publicity is warranted.

The Post article annoys me, however, because of the following paragraph. That reporter, Luz Lazo, keeps reporting this same way despite readers pointing out to her that nothing new "opened" inside the Beltway–they just changed how the HOV rules work there. She consistently ignores all such feedback. It's very misleading. The now-retired Dr. Gridlock would have considered the feedback and, if he chose to disregard it, he would have said why.

QuoteThe project keeps three general-purpose lanes eastbound and westbound, adding two HOT lanes in each direction. Those lanes will connect with 10 miles of rush-hour, peak-direction toll lanes that opened in December 2017 between the Beltway and the District.

If the feedback is via Facebook responses to the news story, chances are the reporter isn't even looking at them. People will need to email the reporter and editors or specific other people if they want their comments to be noted.

I'm hoping adding a comment directly on the WaPo website will work...

bluecountry

Id still like to know why there is no ramp from 66 E to 28 S.  Makes no sense to spend all that $$$ without full movement.

davewiecking

Quote from: bluecountry on November 12, 2022, 07:33:33 PM
Id still like to know why there is no ramp from 66 E to 28 S.  Makes no sense to spend all that $$$ without full movement.

If only the project had a website, with a "Contact Us"  link where you could ask those who did the design. Pretty sure nobody here was involved in that decision.

74/171FAN

^^^^^

I did not see anything in regard to this when driving I-495 Inner up to I-66 WB on October 30th. Maybe it is on one of the covered signs, but I doubt it.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

1995hoo

^^^^^

I'm the last person who would know anything about Facebook!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 12, 2022, 10:30:50 PM
^^^^^

I'm the last person who would know anything about Facebook!

This reminded me of a reporter for the South Jersey Courier-Post who was assigned most transportation stories.  Constantly used wrong info, seemed to often mis-interpreted info received from transportation departments (not sure if intentionally or accidently) and biased towards what appeared to be certain groups of people that disagreed with the majority.  And we're not talking about obscure stuff - we're talking about stuff that was clearly incorrect. No amount of posting on the forums convinced him that he was entirely wrong about certain aspects of his stories.

He retired many years ago, and the paper is much better off for it.

Mapmikey

Quote from: bluecountry on November 12, 2022, 07:33:33 PM

The AADT from US 29 NB to VA 28 SB appears to be 1600.  No point spending additional $ on a ramp from 66 EB to US 29 SB that would be less than that.  There also doesn't appear to be a lot of room for one and it would create a weave zone of just 700 ft on VA 28 SB.

66 EB to 28 SB access was directly possible only from 1980s -2014.  Note that prior to 1980s there was no 66 EB exit at all for VA 28.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

1995hoo

Adam Tuss on Channel 4 just reported that the eastbound I-66 HO/T lanes from Route 28 to the Beltway are to open tomorrow morning, though not necessarily in time for the morning commute.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 21, 2022, 06:36:04 PM
Adam Tuss on Channel 4 just reported that the eastbound I-66 HO/T lanes from Route 28 to the Beltway are to open tomorrow morning, though not necessarily in time for the morning commute.

https://twitter.com/VaDOT/status/1597612763119226880
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

bluecountry

So how does the tolling work, if I enter, is my price set or does it change?

sprjus4

^ Just like the rest of the HO/T system, it's set.

1995hoo

I-66 works similarly to the I-95/I-395 express lanes. It's "segment-based" tolling. When you pass your first gantry, your rate is set to the next "decision point" where you can exit back to the general-purpose lanes. You then see the rate to the next "decision point" and if you stay in the express lanes, it adds that to the previous amount. It shows up as a single transaction on your E-ZPass statement regardless of how many "segments" you use (I'm not sure how many there are).

bluecountry

Thanks.
So what construction is left, because there still is work going on, particularly at Route 28.

Also....on 66 east before Centreville, the overhead sign has Route 123, but it has the US Route symbol, not the state.  How does that happen?

1995hoo

I don't have any pictures yet because I've only seen the new Outer Loop signs for I-66 late this past Saturday night and I didn't have a good chance to get any pictures, but I noted an oddity on the signage that I'm sure is going to confuse some people. Notice the BGS shown below. This sign is on the Inner Loop. The exit to which this sign points splits into two ramps–one to eastbound I-66 inside the Beltway and one to the westbound I-66 express lanes outside the Beltway.

What is weird is the signs on the Outer Loop. The exit ramps from the Beltway–both the general-purpose lanes and the HO/T lanes–to westbound I-66 split after the exit in order to connect to both the I-66 general-purpose lanes and the I-66 express lanes. The BGSs on the Outer Loop therefore have two I-66 shields, both bearing the cardinal direction "WEST," directly next to each other, and the shield on the right has the words "express lanes" next to it as seen in the photo below. In other words:

WEST          WEST         EXPRESS
[66 shield]    [66 shield]  LANES

(and then it lists destinations underneath, presumably Manassas and Front Royal but I wasn't paying attention)  –So in the picture below, imagine if the exit were still in the old configuration and they simply had the ramp heading west split to serve both sets of lanes. Visualize another "WEST I-66" shield to the left of the one you see on that sign. That's what you see on the Outer Loop, though without the "TOLL" banner and without the part of the sign relating to eastbound I-66.

I understand what they're doing with the sign and why they did it that way, but having two identical "WEST I-66" shields right next to each other is rather strange. I found myself wondering if it would make more sense to use a yellow or purple "EXPRESS" banner above the shield for the express lanes.

74/171FAN

When I drove through here on October 30th, I was shocked to see so many VA 243 signs on the Inner Loop.  I think there are more VA 243 signs on I-495 than on VA 243 itself. 

1995hoo

Quote from: 74/171FAN on December 06, 2022, 09:01:18 AM
When I drove through here on October 30th, I was shocked to see so many VA 243 signs on the Inner Loop.  I think there are more VA 243 signs on I-495 than on VA 243 itself. 

I'm sure the intent is to warn people heading for Nutley Street–and, relatedly, the Vienna Metro station–not to take the I-66 HO/T lanes.

Steve D

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 06, 2022, 08:52:05 AM
I don't have any pictures yet because I've only seen the new Outer Loop signs for I-66 late this past Saturday night and I didn't have a good chance to get any pictures, but I noted an oddity on the signage that I'm sure is going to confuse some people. Notice the BGS shown below. This sign is on the Inner Loop. The exit to which this sign points splits into two ramps–one to eastbound I-66 inside the Beltway and one to the westbound I-66 express lanes outside the Beltway.

What is weird is the signs on the Outer Loop. The exit ramps from the Beltway–both the general-purpose lanes and the HO/T lanes–to westbound I-66 split after the exit in order to connect to both the I-66 general-purpose lanes and the I-66 express lanes. The BGSs on the Outer Loop therefore have two I-66 shields, both bearing the cardinal direction "WEST," directly next to each other, and the shield on the right has the words "express lanes" next to it as seen in the photo below. In other words:

WEST          WEST         EXPRESS
[66 shield]    [66 shield]  LANES

(and then it lists destinations underneath, presumably Manassas and Front Royal but I wasn't paying attention)  –So in the picture below, imagine if the exit were still in the old configuration and they simply had the ramp heading west split to serve both sets of lanes. Visualize another "WEST I-66" shield to the left of the one you see on that sign. That's what you see on the Outer Loop, though without the "TOLL" banner and without the part of the sign relating to eastbound I-66.

I understand what they're doing with the sign and why they did it that way, but having two identical "WEST I-66" shields right next to each other is rather strange. I found myself wondering if it would make more sense to use a yellow or purple "EXPRESS" banner above the shield for the express lanes.

All of these signs were (or are) depicted on the plans/maps on the project's website.

1995hoo

Quote from: Steve D on December 07, 2022, 01:08:57 PM
All of these signs were (or are) depicted on the plans/maps on the project's website.

Do you have a link to where they may be found? It would make it easier to explain what I'm referring to as looking weird.

davewiecking

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 07, 2022, 01:44:55 PM

Do you have a link to where they may be found? It would make it easier to explain what I'm referring to as looking weird.

I know the sign you're referencing; it jumped out at me on Thanksgiving. I'm considering taking a drive after lunch, and will snap a photo, even if it means I have to fight the traffic in the GP lanes...

1995hoo

Quote from: davewiecking on December 07, 2022, 01:52:26 PM

I know the sign you're referencing; it jumped out at me on Thanksgiving. I'm considering taking a drive after lunch, and will snap a photo, even if it means I have to fight the traffic in the GP lanes...

Thanks. Be careful, what with the crappy weather and all. I'm sure the signs will show up online in the not-too-distant future. But for what it's worth, the sign in the HO/T lanes was configured the same way–I was using the HO/T lanes because I didn't have to pay the toll and I wanted to make sure to get an HOV-mode trip credited and I noticed the same sign was over both sets of lanes.

davewiecking

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 07, 2022, 02:06:23 PM
Quote from: davewiecking on December 07, 2022, 01:52:26 PM

Thanks. Be careful, what with the crappy weather and all. I'm sure the signs will show up online in the not-too-distant future. But for what it's worth, the sign in the HO/T lanes was configured the same way–I was using the HO/T lanes because I didn't have to pay the toll and I wanted to make sure to get an HOV-mode trip credited and I noticed the same sign was over both sets of lanes.

My suggestion would be to either put the words "Express Lanes" above the actual shield and/or put a border around both, possibly with a purple background inside. Or use the purple on white "Express" label found on other signs along the Beltway. (The sign on the left is above the 495 Express lanes.) The other sign pictured a few posts above is of course inaccurate because it says black on yellow "TOLL", instead of purple/white "Express" or "HOT-3" or some such more accurate wording. The exit ramp configurations are completely non-intuitive, so proper wording would seem to be pretty essential...

1995hoo

That's exactly what I was referring to. Had I been driving by myself, rather than with my wife and my mother coming back from dinner, I would have done more of a double-take when I saw it. The sign for which I got the best view is the left-hand sign visible in the distance underneath the bridge; it's basically the same sign with the addition of the "Express Exit" banner and the omission of the "Exit Only" reference. While I understood what the sign is saying, I certainly found it to be strange at best, and I strongly suspect that the average driver seeing two shields for I-66 West next to each other might be confused.

I wonder whether it would work to have the top right quadrant of that sign bearing the purple "E-ZPass Express ONLY" banner with an I-66 West shield underneath it, cordoned off with a separator line–that is, sort of comparable to the way the sign on the Inner Loop for I-66 inside the Beltway has that white panel with the toll information. I tend to think that for the average motorist, using different formats for signs that are ultimately intended to convey very similar information is likely to be unhelpful, recognizing of course that I-66 inside the Beltway is different from the other HO/T lanes in the area because it's a part-time, peak-direction-only system such that the information on the sign has to be somewhat different.

Steve D

Sorry it looks like they are no longer there.   They were featured on all of the map sections.    I will keep searching...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.