News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

2019 meets

Started by cjk374, March 23, 2018, 06:22:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjk374

No time like the present to plan for the future. If you are planning a meet for 2019, let us know about it.

The ideas in play so far
-Albuquerque - July (Temporary URL in 2018 thread with concepts only) TBD.
-Chicagoland (Hammond/SE Chicago or South suburbs/NW Indiana) or Peoria
-La Crosse, Wisconsin/Winona, MN - June 2020?
-City Meet - ProvidenceMay 4(Poll)
-Pittsburgh July or Aug (Poll)
-Jacksonville FL Feb 23(Poll)
-Memphis (I-269) Apr 13(Poll)
-Portsmouth, OH May 18(Poll)

friendly list add --sso
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Alps

By 2019 my New Road project will be underway, but I'm not sure if it will have enough progress to showcase since a lot of the first contract involves surcharging for several months. 2020 is a certainty.

cl94

I have a couple of meet ideas for 2019. Both would be in the spring.

• North Adams, MA mini-meet. Main attraction of this would be an hour or so hike on a bypassed section of MA 2 (the "Old Mohawk Trail") climbing the Hoosac Range. 3 hairpin turns on this segment. It would involve a 500 foot descent we then need to climb back up, so the participants need to be able to climb a little bit, but definitely a piece of highway history. We'd also swing past the abandoned Yankee Rowe nuclear plant (and its runaway truck ramps), the east portal of the Hoosac Tunnel, and a boatload of ancient bridges and signs (they're everywhere in western Massachusetts). Needs to be done shortly after the snow melts so we can get to the abandoned road easily.
    • Kingston, NY. Ton of stuff in this area. A meet here would definitely feature the old suspension bridge in downtown Kingston, the weird NY 32 one-way pair in Kingston, I-587, Perrine's Covered Bridge, the Rosendale Trestle (now open as a bike/ped path), and a few other minor things. Also thinking of ways to include Ulster CR 47 (former NY 42 and the highest all-season road in the state), NY 214 (the last state route in NY to be paved), either NY 28A or 55A (both of which are maintained by the New York City DOT), portions of the Catskill Aqueduct system, and/or the Kaaterskill Falls overlook on Greene CR 18.

Edit: after conversing with others, Kingston will be a Fall 2018 meet. We need more fall meets this year.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Brandon

I've a few ideas:

1. Peoria
2. SE Chicago/Hammond
3. South Suburbs/NW Indiana
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

SSOWorld

like with 2018 - setting to sticky for indexing purposes
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

US71

As of now, I'm aiming for March-April for Springfield, MO.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Dougtone

I keep on batting around ideas for different meets. I don't know if I will get around to it in 2018, but perhaps in 2019, a meet in Essex County, Massachusetts (centered around Newburyport, Mass.) may be in order.

TheHighwayMan3561

Rochester, MN is on my radar, though given its proximity to La Crosse that will probably be a year where that meet does not take place.

Has there ever been an Asheville, NC meet? I searched here but did not find a record of one.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

cl94

Quote from: Dougtone on March 26, 2018, 08:48:14 PM
I keep on batting around ideas for different meets. I don't know if I will get around to it in 2018, but perhaps in 2019, a meet in Essex County, Massachusetts (centered around Newburyport, Mass.) may be in order.

THAT would be cool. If timed properly, I might be able to tie that into my planned Katahdin climb.

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 26, 2018, 08:50:09 PM
Has there ever been an Asheville, NC meet? I searched here but did not find a record of one.

Don't think so. If someone wanted to host one, I'd be game, especially if it was at a time I could grab my remaining high points in the southeast (KY, SC, TN, VA).
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

froggie

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394Has there ever been an Asheville, NC meet?

Yes.  August, 2003, after I-26 to the Tennessee border opened.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: froggie on March 26, 2018, 09:20:03 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394Has there ever been an Asheville, NC meet?

Yes.  August, 2003, after I-26 to the Tennessee border opened.

Thanks. I kind of figured there was one way back. I know that was 16 years ago as of 2019 but I'm not sure much has changed to justify hosting another one until the work on untangling 26/40/240 begins.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

SSOWorld

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 26, 2018, 08:50:09 PM
Rochester, MN is on my radar, though given its proximity to La Crosse that will probably be a year where that meet does not take place.

I will have a definite answer on La Crosse after this weekend as I'm going to go confirm (lack of) access to the Winona bridge-s.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Takumi

I'm definitely down for Asheville if it happens.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Takumi on March 31, 2018, 10:24:41 PM
I'm definitely down for Asheville if it happens.

It doesn't sound like anyone's talking seriously about hosting anything in Asheville anytime soon, but I also would be very interested if someone has the knowledge and ability to plan one there. (Knoxville is another place I'd love to have an excuse to visit again.)
-A.J. from Michigan

brianreynolds

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on March 31, 2018, 10:38:08 PM
Knoxville is another place I'd love to have an excuse to visit again.

Next year's Extra-Miler Club annual gathering will be in Knoxville on Saturday, June 29, 2019.  An opportunity for a twofer.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: brianreynolds on April 01, 2018, 09:56:38 PM

Next year's Extra-Miler Club annual gathering will be in Knoxville on Saturday, June 29, 2019.  An opportunity for a twofer.

Nice!!
-A.J. from Michigan

jpi

Quote from: brianreynolds on April 01, 2018, 09:56:38 PM

Well, since I probably live closer to Knoxville then any one else here, I will keep this in mind  ;-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Alps

Apparently Route 17/32 construction at the Thruway interchange will be complete fall 2019, so that seems like an ideal place to visit for a spring meet. It features construction of a DDI. Could this be a Tuxedo II??

cl94

Quote from: Alps on April 05, 2018, 09:58:54 AM
Apparently Route 17/32 construction at the Thruway interchange will be complete fall 2019, so that seems like an ideal place to visit for a spring meet. It features construction of a DDI. Could this be a Tuxedo II??

I didn't realize it was being built so soon. I'd certainly be able to make it.

Isn't a ton of other stuff in the area, unless you wanted to head up to Middletown and include the reconstruction up there. Maybe include the Moodna Viaduct as a stop? Highest and longest railroad bridge east of the Mississippi and one of the highest bridges in the Eastern US.

Alps

Quote from: cl94 on April 05, 2018, 01:09:01 PM
Quote from: Alps on April 05, 2018, 09:58:54 AM

I didn't realize it was being built so soon. I'd certainly be able to make it.

Isn't a ton of other stuff in the area, unless you wanted to head up to Middletown and include the reconstruction up there. Maybe include the Moodna Viaduct as a stop? Highest and longest railroad bridge east of the Mississippi and one of the highest bridges in the Eastern US.
It could also be a mini meet where after exploring all aspects of the interchanges for about an hour and a half, we can just play by ear. If we come up with enough for a full meet that's fine. Moodna is a bit of a drive for something with no great place to stop and photo.

noelbotevera

I'd be interested in a Philadelphia road meet. I probably won't host (a 14 year old kid?), but I have a few ideas.

-I-95/PA Turnpike Interchange construction
-PA 90 remnants (I-95 interchange, ramp stubs, etc.)
-Old alignments of assorted roads (US 1, US 13, US 422, etc.)
-Gustine Lake Interchange (button copy signs and such)
-Abandoned PA 291 in Philly Int'l Airport

Postmeet dinner: Philadelphia's a large city, there are tons of choices.

Alps

Quote from: noelbotevera on April 23, 2018, 07:58:22 PM
I'd be interested in a Philadelphia road meet. I probably won't host (a 14 year old kid?), but I have a few ideas.

Go ahead and host! Hosting is easy. Put together an itinerary and pick a lunch spot. The hard part is monitoring attendees. You do not have to drive to host.

noelbotevera

Quote from: Alps on April 23, 2018, 09:29:59 PM

Go ahead and host! Hosting is easy. Put together an itinerary and pick a lunch spot. The hard part is monitoring attendees. You do not have to drive to host.
The thing is, I have to actually scout the area. That means driving two and a half hours to Philadelphia, and my father isn't exactly too fond of driving. I would love to host a road meet, but that scouting step is what's stopping me.

Alps

Quote from: noelbotevera on April 23, 2018, 10:02:36 PM

The thing is, I have to actually scout the area. That means driving two and a half hours to Philadelphia, and my father isn't exactly too fond of driving. I would love to host a road meet, but that scouting step is what's stopping me.
You can ask for help in that arena. I've hosted non-local meets before.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: noelbotevera on April 23, 2018, 10:02:36 PM

You've already done the virtual scouting. No need to actually check it out beforehand, really. If you're worried that something may not be there when the meet occurs...well, you could scout a few weeks beforehand and something changes anyway.

If the buttoncipy signs go away, PA will No doubt screw up the new signs so you have that.

The old PA 291 alignment is interesting...thousand of people drive and park on it daily and have no clue what they're on.

Bonus...the Uber/Lyft staging area is in the same area! Open for touring!! Lol. However, there is a bathroom trailer there for g use that could use it!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.