News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thspfc

Quote from: skluth on April 25, 2023, 12:30:47 AM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on April 24, 2023, 04:45:40 PM
Wow, the Packers had to deal two draft picks as well as Rodgers?  Interesting.
Jets get: Rodgers and GB's 1st and 5th round picks in this year's draft.
Packers get: Jets' 1st, 2nd, 6th round picks this year and a second round pick next year.

That 2024 pick will be a first rounder if Rodgers plays 65% of this year's snaps for the Jets.  So stay healthy?

If you consider the first round swap is about the difference between the value of the 5th/6th swap, the deal is basically Rodgers for a second and a conditional first/second round pick with the pick swaps mostly a wash. Wanting to move up two spots could mean they're targeting someone like Smith-Njigba or Van Ness. But at least now all the speculation is over.
Knowing Green Bay, they'll probably pick another linebacker and leave Love out to dry just like they did Rodgers last year. Or God forbid a running back - I know Bijan is good, but RB is literally the last position they need right now. They have to go either WR or o-line. They also need a TE, but that's not as important as WR and OL.

skluth

Quote from: thspfc on April 25, 2023, 07:47:00 AM
Quote from: skluth on April 25, 2023, 12:30:47 AM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on April 24, 2023, 04:45:40 PM
Wow, the Packers had to deal two draft picks as well as Rodgers?  Interesting.
Jets get: Rodgers and GB's 1st and 5th round picks in this year's draft.
Packers get: Jets' 1st, 2nd, 6th round picks this year and a second round pick next year.

That 2024 pick will be a first rounder if Rodgers plays 65% of this year's snaps for the Jets.  So stay healthy?

If you consider the first round swap is about the difference between the value of the 5th/6th swap, the deal is basically Rodgers for a second and a conditional first/second round pick with the pick swaps mostly a wash. Wanting to move up two spots could mean they're targeting someone like Smith-Njigba or Van Ness. But at least now all the speculation is over.
Knowing Green Bay, they'll probably pick another linebacker and leave Love out to dry just like they did Rodgers last year. Or God forbid a running back - I know Bijan is good, but RB is literally the last position they need right now. They have to go either WR or o-line. They also need a TE, but that's not as important as WR and OL.

They also need an edge rusher badly. The pass rush fell apart after Gary was injured last year.

hobsini2

As a Packers fan, I am happy with the trade to the Jets. I really like the conditional 2nd that can easily become a 1st as long as Aaron is healthy.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

epzik8

I had a dream that C.J. Stroud fell to almost the end of the first round in the draft
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Big John

Lamar Jackson finally agrees to a deal with the Ravens.

DenverBrian

Quote from: epzik8 on April 27, 2023, 03:33:48 PM
I had a dream that C.J. Stroud fell to almost the end of the first round in the draft
Your dreams need work. :D :D :D

thspfc

Green Bay astonishes me again. Every first round, four years running. WHY? You need to find out what you have in Love, and if he has no protection and nobody open, you're not going to. Picking defense there not only sets them back for this year, but for the future as well. If Love isn't it then Gutekunst needs to go. He might need to go anyway, but Love busting would be the last straw for sure.

Don't mind the Cowboys pick at all, maybe could have gone CB but DT is fine.

Seattle steals Smith-Njigba at 20 after drafting a corner at 5, which seemed puzzling at the time, but now looks like a genius move. If Geno continues to play well and everyone stays healthy, that offense will be dangerous.

Atlanta ranked bottom 10 in the league in passing offense, rushing defense, and passing defense. They ranked 3rd in rushing offense. And they drafted a running back with the 8th overall pick. I know Bijan should be good, but with a projected first round QB in Levis, four strong WRs, and plenty of defensive options, they went running back? While their list of weaknesses comprises basically everything except for rushing offense? Boggles the mind.

jgb191

I can only hope Nick Caserio knows what he's doing this years draft.  I don't know much about college football, but I'm hearing mixed reactions about C.J. and Will Jr. -- many feeling good about them and some are questioning both picks.  And since NFL is a different game from college football, we won't know until after they've been adjusted to pros.  Until then, I wouldn't be surprised if Davis Mills retains his starting role.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: thspfc on April 28, 2023, 12:36:27 AM
Green Bay astonishes me again. Every first round, four years running. WHY? You need to find out what you have in Love, and if he has no protection and nobody open, you're not going to. Picking defense there not only sets them back for this year, but for the future as well. If Love isn't it then Gutekunst needs to go. He might need to go anyway, but Love busting would be the last straw for sure.

Seattle steals Smith-Njigba at 20 after drafting a corner at 5, which seemed puzzling at the time, but now looks like a genius move. If Geno continues to play well and everyone stays healthy, that offense will be dangerous.

Atlanta ranked bottom 10 in the league in passing offense, rushing defense, and passing defense. They ranked 3rd in rushing offense. And they drafted a running back with the 8th overall pick. I know Bijan should be good, but with a projected first round QB in Levis, four strong WRs, and plenty of defensive options, they went running back? While their list of weaknesses comprises basically everything except for rushing offense? Boggles the mind.

As a Bears fan, I rather enjoyed both the Packers and Lions picks. Lions took a RB after signing two in free agency.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

jmacswimmer

Definitely interesting how the Jalen Carter situation ultimately played out (especially for me, as a Bears fan).

There was a part of me that wanted to see Ryan Poles take a chance on Carter once he fell to 9, but as soon as he swapped to 10 with Philly I knew that meant he was never going to pull the trigger (and he basically confirmed as much later by sidestepping any Carter questions). I think that 9-10 swap made sense to both sides - Philly is in a position to take a chance on a player with off-field concerns given their coming off a deep playoff run, and having multiple former Georgia teammates doesn't hurt either. Maybe (read, hopefully) Chicago can be in such a position in the future, but with where they are right now it was much smarter to go the safe route with Darnell Wright at RT, so getting an extra 4th out of it doesn't hurt. I imagine Poles's bargaining power was limited if other teams knew he was never going to take Carter, but at the end of the night he indicated it had more to do with not trading down so far as to risk missing out on Wright (and Peter Skoronski & Broderick Jones wound up both going not long afterward to round out the top 4 OT's).

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on April 28, 2023, 09:02:03 AM
As a Bears fan, I rather enjoyed both the Packers and Lions picks. Lions took a RB after signing two in free agency.

Fun fact, apparently Van Ness is dating Cole Kmet's sister. A new wrinkle to add to the Packers-Bears rivalry after the departure of Rodgers :-D
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: jmacswimmer on April 28, 2023, 09:52:55 AM
Definitely interesting how the Jalen Carter situation ultimately played out (especially for me, as a Bears fan).

There was a part of me that wanted to see Ryan Poles take a chance on Carter once he fell to 9, but as soon as he swapped to 10 with Philly I knew that meant he was never going to pull the trigger (and he basically confirmed as much later by sidestepping any Carter questions). I think that 9-10 swap made sense to both sides - Philly is in a position to take a chance on a player with off-field concerns given their coming off a deep playoff run, and having multiple former Georgia teammates doesn't help either. Maybe (read, hopefully) Chicago can be in such a position in the future, but with where they are right now it was much smarter to go the safe route with Darnell Wright at RT, so getting an extra 4th out of it doesn't hurt. I imagine Poles's bargaining power was limited if other teams knew he was never going to take Carter, but at the end of the night he indicated it had more to do with not trading down so far as to risk missing out on Wright (and Peter Skoronski & Broderick Jones wound up both going not long afterward to round out the top 4 OT's).

Fun fact, apparently Van Ness is dating Cole Kmet's sister. A new wrinkle to add to the Packers-Bears rivalry after the departure of Rodgers :-D

Poles said that he had better offers to trade down farther than #10, but didn't want to risk Wright not being available. They had him rated much higher than Skoronski and Jones even though that wasn't the consensus.

thspfc

Quote from: jmacswimmer on April 28, 2023, 09:52:55 AM

There was a part of me that wanted to see Ryan Poles take a chance on Carter once he fell to 9, but as soon as he swapped to 10 with Philly I knew that meant he was never going to pull the trigger (and he basically confirmed as much later by sidestepping any Carter questions). I think that 9-10 swap made sense to both sides - Philly is in a position to take a chance on a player with off-field concerns given their coming off a deep playoff run, and having multiple former Georgia teammates doesn't help either. Maybe (read, hopefully) Chicago can be in such a position in the future, but with where they are right now it was much smarter to go the safe route with Darnell Wright at RT, so getting an extra 4th out of it doesn't hurt. I imagine Poles's bargaining power was limited if other teams knew he was never going to take Carter, but at the end of the night he indicated it had more to do with not trading down so far as to risk missing out on Wright (and Peter Skoronski & Broderick Jones wound up both going not long afterward to round out the top 4 OT's).

And Kmet will likely be blocking Van Ness. That's hilarious

mgk920

Quote from: Henry on April 24, 2023, 10:33:40 PM
And so ends the latest chapter in the Bears-Packers saga.

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on April 24, 2023, 06:23:35 PM
I hope the latest ARod former Packers QB to grace the New York sports scene can handle a much different media landscape than the one he left in Wisconsin.
FTFY

Of course, we remember the last time the Jets poached a signal-caller from the Cheeseheads; he was never the same again.

I heard through the grapevines that many Jets fans are comparing their deal for Rodgers with the deal that the Packers made in the early to mid 1970s for John Hadl.

:-P

Mike

skluth

Quote from: thspfc on April 28, 2023, 12:36:27 AM

I was fine with the Packers pick. The rush disappeared after Gary's injury. I wanted either a pass rusher or OT and they can survive with their current OL group for one year. The Bears got someone to protect Fields before he becomes yet another banged up QB and the Vikings smartly got someone to try and replace Thielen. The Lions picks left me in hysterics. Is there any worse team at team development strategy than the Lions? The Cards and Bengals may have stupid, cheap owners, but no team consistently makes idiot decisions (remember Mullen) like the Lions.

thspfc

Sliding Detroit into opening night at KC is a bold move by the league, though it makes a lot of sense from the standpoint that opening night will probably draw roughly the same ratings regardless of who's playing (save for the Cowboys). Lions @ Chiefs wouldn't be a ratings giant in other timeslots, especially if the Lions don't play up to expectations, while the Bills, Bengals, and Eagles @ Chiefs games will be huge for ratings. Though I'm surprised they have the Bills and Bengals playing the Chiefs so late in the season (weeks 14 and 17) considering the likelihood that they meet again in the playoffs.

Detroit has 2 national games in the first 4 weeks, 3 in the first 8, and only one (@ Dallas) after that, excluding their usual Thanksgiving game. To me that says that FWIW, the schedule makers are not confident that they're going to be good, so they're hedging their bets in the event they're bad, while also still getting ratings out of them while the hype is there early in the year. That might seem out there, but the same thing happened with the Broncos last year - they had 4 national games in the first 6 weeks, and only two after that (one of which got flexed out).

Same thing with the Jets to an extent - 9 of their first 11 are national games, and only 1 of their last 7 is. Even if they're still bad, we're going to be seeing a LOT of them, which might be kinda entertaining.

6 national games for the Bears. No thanks.

I tentatively have the Cowboys at 11-6, for I believe the 3rd straight year. Relatively tough start, could easily be 4-4 at midseason. Then a strong finish with losses only to Buffalo and somebody else.

thspfc

Almost forgot, the Rams are this year's recipient of a free win by virtue of playing the Packers on the first week of November. Going on 11 years, it's always held true.

on_wisconsin

"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

Scott5114

Quote from: thspfc on May 11, 2023, 09:38:48 PM
Lions @ Chiefs wouldn't be a ratings giant in other timeslots, especially if the Lions don't play up to expectations

The Lions have expectations?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

thspfc

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 13, 2023, 12:30:50 AM
Quote from: thspfc on May 11, 2023, 09:38:48 PM
Lions @ Chiefs wouldn't be a ratings giant in other timeslots, especially if the Lions don't play up to expectations

The Lions have expectations?
Yes, they have the highest O/U win total in the NFC North and shortest odds to win the division. They're everyone's "sleeper team"  that isn't really a sleeper at all. But they're still the Lions until proven otherwise. They would have been the 6 seed in the playoffs if they didn't self destruct in week 16 at Carolina.

NWI_Irish96

I knew this day would eventually come:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/37657287/peacock-exclusively-carry-nfl-playoff-game

QuoteThe NFL is taking another big step into streaming by putting one of its playoff games exclusively on a digital platform for the first time.

The league and NBCUniversal announced Monday that the Saturday night game on wild-card weekend will be on Peacock.

The Peacock exclusive game on Jan. 13 will start at 8:15 or 8:30 p.m. ET. The game will be broadcast on NBC stations in the markets of the two teams. It will also be available on mobile devices through the NFL+ package. It will be preceded by a late afternoon playoff game on NBC and Peacock that will kick off at 4:30 p.m. ET.

tchafe1978

One of the reasons the NFL is so popular is because the majority of the games are still available on free OTA TV. They're slowly chipping away at that. I realize streaming is the future with many people cord cutting, but not everyone has every streaming app and has internet that is fast enough to stream. And Peacock has a fraction of the subscribers of Amazon Prime.

JayhawkCO

Peacock+ comes free with my Xfinity.

Big John

Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 16, 2023, 10:40:08 AM
xfinity/Comcast owns NBC/Peacock.
My cable provider is Spectrum and Peacock is not on it.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Big John on May 16, 2023, 10:57:43 AM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 16, 2023, 10:40:08 AM
xfinity/Comcast owns NBC/Peacock.
My cable provider is Spectrum and Peacock is not on it.

Even if it didn't come free, I'd pay for it for its Premier League coverage.

triplemultiplex

What kills me is moving these games to streaming is not because those networks have such a crowded line-up they don't want to detract from.  It's all just a scheme to get people signing up for more streaming services they probably won't use enough to make it worth their while.  I had the same annoyance with the NFL when they started moving some games to cable back when that was the "premium" TV service. 

Like I don't even know what's on a network like NBC any more.  I assume wall-to-wall laws and orders, some stupid singing shows, and people yelling while cooking?
Can't preempt that for a sports game!  :eyebrow:
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.