News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gr8daynegb

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on November 01, 2021, 01:33:53 AM
Back in winter 1997, 7-year old me watched the Vikings pull out a miracle playoff win over the NY Giants. I thought "Wow! That's my team!" They got blown out the next week to end their season, but the 49ers were way better, so...whatever. Then came 1998, which we will never speak of again. We went into 1999 with mostly the same players, so 9-year old me thinks, this is a championship team soon! Then 2000, then some crappier years, and ups and downs since then, and still waiting.

31-year old me wonders if they hadn't pulled off that crazy win over the Giants, I would have just gone "that team stinks" and found a different team...and not hate everything now.

I'm just speak about the Vikings vs Falcons game them :P

So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: thspfc on November 01, 2021, 06:38:12 PM
Quote from: jayhawkco on November 01, 2021, 12:05:06 PM
Quote from: jayhawkco on October 28, 2021, 12:28:59 PM
To be contrary, I'll take the Colts over the Titans, the Steelers over the Browns, the Chargers over the Pats, the Bucs over the Saints, and the Vikings over the Cowboys.

Chris

Colts - Wentz choked
Steelers - Nailed it
Chargers - Didn't play well
Bucs - Brady choked
Vikings - Went all Vikingy.  Being a Vikings fan is like zipping up too fast. (I am deciding whether or not I want my son-to-be to be a Vikings fan.  I wouldn't choose it had I not been born into it).

Chris
You and the Vikings is clearly a toxic relationship. Drop it. My advice is to pick a team that is not good right now but has the potential to be, so that you don't get called a bandwagoner  :-D. I will shamelessly admit that that was my main reasoning in picking the Cowboys several years ago.

The problem is we're co-dependent at this point.  I need them to make me look forward to Sundays and those brief glimpses of a happy future together keep me coming back.  They need me because... well... I buy a new hat every once in a while.  When you feel the pain of all the letdowns, it will make whatever successes come even happier I suppose.  The Minneapolis Miracle, even though we didn't even make the Superbowl much less win it, is one of my top 5 sporting fandom moments.

Chris

JayhawkCO

Raiders' WR Henry Ruggs' professional career is over as he's being charged with DUI that resulted in death.  I don't understand why these guys that make millions can't pay one of their buddies 80K a year to be their sober driver.  So ridiculous.

Chris

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: jayhawkco on November 02, 2021, 02:23:55 PM
Raiders' WR Henry Ruggs' professional career is over as he's being charged with DUI that resulted in death.  I don't understand why these guys that make millions can't pay one of their buddies 80K a year to be their sober driver.  So ridiculous.

Chris

Millionaires or not, DUI is a huge problem in this country. Part of the problem is that we are results-oriented and only bring the hammer down when someone gets killed. Give someone 6 months in jail for their first DUI, regardless of whether or not anybody was injured, and things will change.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

JayhawkCO

Quote from: cabiness42 on November 02, 2021, 02:56:16 PM

Chris

Millionaires or not, DUI is a huge problem in this country. Part of the problem is that we are results-oriented and only bring the hammer down when someone gets killed. Give someone 6 months in jail for their first DUI, regardless of whether or not anybody was injured, and things will change.

Don't disagree.

Chris

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: cabiness42 on November 02, 2021, 02:56:16 PM

Chris

On a societal level, people just don't think it's a big deal despite decades of deadly newsmaking incidents, even directly affecting them or people they know, and PSAs spamming our media constantly. Everybody knows multiple people who have driven drunk and no one bats an eye. Americans just don't care. To most people, all the excuses for doing it are considered valid or at least understandable as long as no one dies. Until that changes, this crap will never stop.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

triplemultiplex

Six months for a first time DUI?  Careful, you're making the prison-industrial complex drool, so don't slip on the ooze.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Max Rockatansky

How did mass incarceration for drug offenses work out?  Did it actually stop anyone?

on_wisconsin

Quote from: triplemultiplex on November 02, 2021, 04:04:22 PMSix months for a first time DUI? 

Obviously didn't happen in Wisconsin... /snark

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 02, 2021, 04:34:37 PM
How did mass incarceration for drug offenses work out?  Did it actually stop anyone?
This.
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

NWI_Irish96

Drugs are an addiction. Incarceration doesn't cure that. Also, most people incarcerated for drugs are of a socioeconomic status where jail just isn't a deterrent.

DUI offenders are a broader spectrum of society. I wouldn't compare the two.

thspfc

What's your solution? Mine would be at least six months in jail and a permanent termination of their driver's license.

thspfc

Quote from: cabiness42 on November 02, 2021, 05:02:59 PM

Drugs are an addiction. Incarceration doesn't cure that. Also, most people incarcerated for drugs are of a socioeconomic status where jail just isn't a deterrent.

Exactly, DUI's and drug addictions is a false equivalency.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: cabiness42 on November 02, 2021, 05:02:59 PM

I agree with this.  If you're an alcoholic, it's tough to control your need for booze.  You can, however, drink yourself stupid and not drive.  There's no addiction to driving while drunnk.

Chris

Max Rockatansky

^^^

I had a Grandfather and several other family members who were raging alcoholics.  They certainly had an addiction problem they couldn't shake, it actually killed one of them when she died from alcohol poisoning.  Granted, none of them to my knowledge were attempting to drive while drunk either...so there's that. 

Quote from: thspfc on November 02, 2021, 05:06:35 PM
What's your solution? Mine would be at least six months in jail and a permanent termination of their driver's license.

Something that doesn't involve sending even more people into the failed shit storm that is the corrections system.  I'm not saying I have answer to the problem, but the solution being proposed isn't going to help anything.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 02, 2021, 05:34:43 PM

Something that doesn't involve sending even more people into the failed shit storm that is the corrections system.  I'm not saying I have answer to the problem, but the solution being proposed isn't going to help anything.

How about this for a first offense? Your car is seized. It immediately gets towed and becomes property of the state. If you can beat the charge in court you get it back. Otherwise it's auctioned off. If you still owe money on it then you're making payments without a car. Think of all the highway improvements we could make with the money from all the auctioned cars.

hotdogPi

Quote from: cabiness42 on November 02, 2021, 05:37:59 PM
How about this for a first offense? Your car is seized. It immediately gets towed and becomes property of the state. If you can beat the charge in court you get it back. Otherwise it's auctioned off. If you still owe money on it then you're making payments without a car. Think of all the highway improvements we could make with the money from all the auctioned cars.

If you can't get to court without a car?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: cabiness42 on November 02, 2021, 05:37:59 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 02, 2021, 05:34:43 PM

I can see something along those lines.  The ignition lock devices and associated costs in Arizona usually were heavy enough of a burden that they tended to act in the way you are describing.  That law came into effect when DUIs were getting out of control in the early 2000s. 

Alps

Let's keep this on the topic of the NFL please.

snowc

Quote from: Alps on November 02, 2021, 06:54:17 PM
Let's keep this on the topic of the NFL please.
Thank you, @Alps, for the Public Service Announcement!
*the more you know tone plays*

Big John

Aaron Rodgers tested positive for Covid19, out versus the Chiefs.

snowc

Quote from: Big John on November 03, 2021, 11:45:42 AM
Aaron Rodgers tested positive for Covid19, out versus the Chiefs.
Aw snap! Looks like the Packers are  :ded: for now!  :pan: :no:

jlam

So much for the State Farm bowl...

snowc

Quote from: jlam on November 03, 2021, 12:20:40 PM
whats wrong with the state farm bowl

JayhawkCO

Quote from: snowc on November 03, 2021, 01:07:42 PM

No discount double check.

Chris

Big John

Quote from: jayhawkco on November 03, 2021, 01:10:46 PM
Quote from: snowc on November 03, 2021, 01:07:42 PM

No discount double check.

Chris
That was in jeopardy anyways.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.