News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thspfc

Quote from: ilpt4u on December 05, 2022, 11:32:05 PM
Quote from: thspfc on December 05, 2022, 11:13:53 PM
That's now twice this year that Brady has totally switched on a dead team in the last five minutes. Two of the most impressive drives I've ever seen.
TB12 needs to just be his own OC on the field. Byron Leftwich can help consult on the sidelines and keep personnel ready, but let TB12 run the show
I feel like that would get exhausting for a QB, even Brady. It works when he's dialed in his Brady mode late in the 4th, but if he had to call the whole game himself, that would be a real challenge.

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: thspfc on December 05, 2022, 11:38:19 PM
That's now twice this year that Brady has totally switched on a dead team in the last five minutes. Two of the most impressive drives I've ever seen.
TB12 needs to just be his own OC on the field. Byron Leftwich can help consult on the sidelines and keep personnel ready, but let TB12 run the show
I feel like that would get exhausting for a QB, even Brady. It works when he's dialed in his Brady mode late in the 4th, but if he had to call the whole game himself, that would be a real challenge.

Speaking of TB12, he pulled another victory from the jaws of defeat with 3 seconds left.

thspfc

Almost forgot, I'll finish my forks with the Rams and Colts.

webny99

Wow, what a brutal choke by the Saints, but the bigger story is that Tom Brady really took it personally that I forked the Bucs.

-Crazy last second comeback against the unforked Rams (who were leading with 1 minute to play) to END their season
-Even crazier comeback against the unforked Saints (who were leading with 10 seconds left and could've won the division if they won) to END their season
-Zero doubt: there will be a third last second, three-score comeback by Brady against the Cardinals (on the final play) to CLINCH the NFC South and ELIMINATE the unforked Cardinals from the playoffs, just to stick it to me extra hard one last time :poke:

And at that point, I'll be officially buried in the locks competition. But no really, thanks Tom for unretiring.

JayhawkCO

Never should have happened. Dennis Allen should have been fired on the field for that clock mismanagement. I can't believe in this day and age with a billion dollar business getting these decisions so, so wrong.

webny99

Quote from: JayhawkCO on December 06, 2022, 09:44:15 AM

Never should have happened. Dennis Allen should have been fired on the field for that clock mismanagement. I can't believe in this day and age with a billion dollar business getting these decisions so, so wrong.

There was coaching malpractice on both sides. Both head coaches have been a significant downgrade.  It's just that one team had Tom Brady, and one didn't. But even so, the Saints had so many chances to put it away, like this, the Taysom drop, the two field goals on 4th & short... they just blew it spectacularly at every chance. And there was ZERO reason to think the Bucs had a chance through 55 minutes. Maybe the worst loss of the season, in a year with some pretty bad ones.

thspfc

Quote from: thspfc on December 04, 2022, 08:58:38 PM
Titans/Eagles today showed the difference between a run-first team that is capable of throwing effectively when they need to, and a run-first team that is not. Here's my question with Tennessee: if you're committed to the "put everything on Derrick Henry" offensive strategy, why are you paying your QB $30 million a year? He's not influencing the game beyond simply not losing it all by himself. Might as well pick up someone like Teddy Bridgewater for dirt cheap and use the extra money to strengthen the o-line and defense.
Guess what, they just fired their GM. The fact that they pulled the trigger midseason, while in the thick of the playoff race, shows just how clearly that game Sunday exposed their issues.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on December 06, 2022, 12:43:41 PM
Titans/Eagles today showed the difference between a run-first team that is capable of throwing effectively when they need to, and a run-first team that is not. Here's my question with Tennessee: if you're committed to the "put everything on Derrick Henry" offensive strategy, why are you paying your QB $30 million a year? He's not influencing the game beyond simply not losing it all by himself. Might as well pick up someone like Teddy Bridgewater for dirt cheap and use the extra money to strengthen the o-line and defense.
Guess what, they just fired their GM. The fact that they pulled the trigger midseason, while in the thick of the playoff race, shows just how clearly that game Sunday exposed their issues.

That's spicy. Definitely not a coincidence that it happens 2 days after they got torched by AJ Brown. My guess is Vrabel was in favor of paying AJ while Robinson wasn't. That leaves Robinson responsible for their lack of wide receiver talent, which has cost them big time against top opponents. Mike Vrabel is reigning COTY and has a proven track record of success even with a limited roster (which Robinson is responsible for), so I think they made the right decision even though it's surprising that it happened now.

Meanwhile, the Colts fired their coach and kept the GM, which I think was the wrong decision. They'd be better off with Reich and a new GM. They might end up with both, but now they'll have to waste resources finding a new coach when they already had a good one that wasn't even close to being their biggest problem.

gr8daynegb

Quote from: webny99 on December 06, 2022, 02:28:41 PM

That's spicy. Definitely not a coincidence that it happens 2 days after they got torched by AJ Brown. My guess is Vrabel was in favor of paying AJ while Robinson wasn't. That leaves Robinson responsible for their lack of wide receiver talent, which has cost them big time against top opponents. Mike Vrabel is reigning COTY and has a proven track record of success even with a limited roster (which Robinson is responsible for), so I think they made the right decision even though it's surprising that it happened now.

Meanwhile, the Colts fired their coach and kept the GM, which I think was the wrong decision. They'd be better off with Reich and a new GM. They might end up with both, but now they'll have to waste resources finding a new coach when they already had a good one that wasn't even close to being their biggest problem.

Too bad for the Colts fans they couldn't replace their owner. Irsay can thank Tony Dungy and Peyton Manning for making him look like a half decent owner for the time both were in Indy
So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

webny99

Quote from: gr8daynegb on December 06, 2022, 02:35:19 PM

Too bad for the Colts fans they couldn't replace their owner. Irsay can thank Tony Dungy and Peyton Manning for making him look like a half decent owner for the time both were in Indy

But the Colts are in the "top quartile of the upper quartile" of all NFL teams!  ;-)

(I think he was going for top half of the upper quartile, which would be top-4, but it made for a good soundbite anyways.)

skluth

Quote from: thspfc on December 05, 2022, 11:38:19 PM

P Manning was essentially his own OC for much of his career. Didn't seem to bother him. But he may be the last QB to ever do so. It used to be the norm. Unitas and Starr called almost all their own plays.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: webny99 on December 06, 2022, 02:43:54 PM
Quote from: gr8daynegb on December 06, 2022, 02:35:19 PM

But the Colts are in the "top quartile of the upper quartile" of all NFL teams!  ;-)

(I think he was going for top half of the upper quartile, which would be top-4, but it made for a good soundbite anyways.)

What about when he talked about making sausage?

gr8daynegb

Rams claimed Baker Mayfield......interesting
So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

skluth

Quote from: gr8daynegb on December 06, 2022, 04:16:49 PM

ESPN is also reporting he may start for them this week - and they have the Thursday night game. I guess we'll find out just how good a QB coach McVay really is.

jeffandnicole

One of the oddest stories to be coming for the 2023 NFL draft will be the Eagles' early position.  At 11-1, they currently hold the 5th pick in the draft.  On Draft Night 2022, they made a trade with the Saints which included the Eagles getting the Saints' 1st round pick in 2023.  The Saints suck this year.  The Eagles are in 1st overall.  This is looking to be one of the better trades made overall during the 2022 draft.

webny99

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 06, 2022, 07:28:03 PM
One of the oddest stories to be coming for the 2023 NFL draft will be the Eagles' early position.  At 11-1, they currently hold the 5th pick in the draft.  On Draft Night 2022, they made a trade with the Saints which included the Eagles getting the Saints' 1st round pick in 2023.  The Saints suck this year.  The Eagles are in 1st overall.  This is looking to be one of the better trades made overall during the 2022 draft.

Indeed. I'll re-up my post from a few weeks ago regarding the top of next year's draft. Eagles, Seahawks, and Lions all made trades that are looking pretty good right now.

ilpt4u

Quote from: skluth on December 06, 2022, 06:03:07 PM
ESPN is also reporting he may start for them this week - and they have the Thursday night game. I guess we'll find out just how good a QB coach McVay really is.
ESPN does NOT have Thursday Night Football. ESPN has Monday Night Football, and Saturday Football the last week of the regular season, Week 18

Amazon Prime Video has Thursday Night Football most weeks, except Week 1 and Thanksgiving Night, which are both on NBC. Amazon has Raiders/Rams on Thursday night

webny99

Quote from: ilpt4u on December 06, 2022, 08:30:57 PM
ESPN does NOT have Thursday Night Football. ESPN has Monday Night Football, and Saturday Football the last week of the regular season, Week 18

Amazon Prime Video has Thursday Night Football most weeks, except Week 1 and Thanksgiving Night, which are both on NBC. Amazon has Raiders/Rams on Thursday night

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think he meant that the Rams have a Thursday night game, not that ESPN will be broadcasting it.

ilpt4u

Quote from: webny99 on December 06, 2022, 08:43:02 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think he meant that the Rams have a Thursday night game, not that ESPN will be broadcasting it.
Wow, I didn't even consider that interpretation of that statement. After reading your post, I kinda feel bad now...

skluth

Quote from: ilpt4u on December 06, 2022, 09:21:45 PM

Wow, I didn't even consider that interpretation of that statement. After reading your post, I kinda feel bad now...

My bad. I should have been clearer. But yes, I meant that ESPN is reporting Mayfield may be starting for the Rams Thursday. Thanks to webny99 for fixing my unclear statement.

webny99

Quote from: skluth on December 07, 2022, 11:52:00 AM
Quote from: ilpt4u on December 06, 2022, 09:21:45 PM

My bad. I should have been clearer. But yes, I meant that ESPN is reporting Mayfield may be starting for the Rams Thursday. Thanks to webny99 for fixing my unclear statement.

Anytime! :)  I was actually amused that neither of us had thought of the other's interpretation of the statement. Language is weird like that sometimes.

JayhawkCO

Raiders over Rams
Titans over Jaguars
Bills over Jets
Bengals over Browns
Cowboys over Texans
Giants over Eagles
Steelers over Ravens
Chiefs over Broncos
Niners over Bucs
Panthers over Seahawks
Dolphins over Chargers
Vikings over Lions
Patriots over Cardinals

webny99

The 5-7 Lions are actually favored over the 10-2 Vikings. Bizarre at first glance, but they just put up a 40-burger and have arguably been the better team over the last month. They've also put up 30 points 6 times this season vs. just 3 times for the Vikings. And it's a more important game for the Lions as they must win to stay in the playoff race, while the Vikings are going to playoffs regardless. I'm not saying I agree with them being favored, but it is certainly interesting.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: webny99 on December 07, 2022, 03:12:44 PM
The 5-7 Lions are actually favored over the 10-2 Vikings. Bizarre at first glance, but they just put up a 40-burger and have arguably been the better team over the last month. They've also put up 30 points 6 times this season vs. just 3 times for the Vikings. And it's a more important game for the Lions as they must win to stay in the playoff race, while the Vikings are going to playoffs regardless. I'm not saying I agree with them being favored, but it is certainly interesting.

I think it's more just based on everyone (including me to a degree) thinking the Vikings aren't nearly as good as their record, so everyone is betting against them every week. That'll skew the line farther away from them just to balance the cash.

webny99

An interesting read about the Titans' decision to move on from Robinson: https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2022/12/7/23497581/tennessee-titans-fire-gm-jon-robinson-whats-next

Hard not to think there's more to the story about the AJ Brown trade.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.