NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: webny99 on December 07, 2022, 10:25:18 PM
Quote from: webny99 on December 06, 2022, 02:28:41 PM
Quote from: thspfc on December 06, 2022, 12:43:41 PM
Quote from: thspfc on December 04, 2022, 08:58:38 PM
Titans/Eagles today showed the difference between a run-first team that is capable of throwing effectively when they need to, and a run-first team that is not. Here's my question with Tennessee: if you're committed to the "put everything on Derrick Henry" offensive strategy, why are you paying your QB $30 million a year? He's not influencing the game beyond simply not losing it all by himself. Might as well pick up someone like Teddy Bridgewater for dirt cheap and use the extra money to strengthen the o-line and defense.
Guess what, they just fired their GM. The fact that they pulled the trigger midseason, while in the thick of the playoff race, shows just how clearly that game Sunday exposed their issues.

That's spicy. Definitely not a coincidence that it happens 2 days after they got torched by AJ Brown. My guess is Vrabel was in favor of paying AJ while Robinson wasn't. That leaves Robinson responsible for their lack of wide receiver talent, which has cost them big time against top opponents. Mike Vrabel is reigning COTY and has a proven track record of success even with a limited roster (which Robinson is responsible for), so I think they made the right decision even though it's surprising that it happened now.

An interesting read about the Titans' decision to move on from Robinson: https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2022/12/7/23497581/tennessee-titans-fire-gm-jon-robinson-whats-next

Hard not to think there's more to the story about the AJ Brown trade.

I've wondered how sustainable the Titans approach of relying on Ryan Tannehill/Derrick Henry for most of their offense was, especially knowing how running backs seem to have such short shelf lives. Meanwhile, getting torched by a former player and responding by firing the GM afterwards reeks of desperation and disorganization. There must be some logic behind it.

thspfc

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on December 08, 2022, 06:31:40 AM
Quote from: webny99 on December 07, 2022, 10:25:18 PM
Quote from: webny99 on December 06, 2022, 02:28:41 PM
Quote from: thspfc on December 06, 2022, 12:43:41 PM
Quote from: thspfc on December 04, 2022, 08:58:38 PM
Titans/Eagles today showed the difference between a run-first team that is capable of throwing effectively when they need to, and a run-first team that is not. Here's my question with Tennessee: if you're committed to the "put everything on Derrick Henry" offensive strategy, why are you paying your QB $30 million a year? He's not influencing the game beyond simply not losing it all by himself. Might as well pick up someone like Teddy Bridgewater for dirt cheap and use the extra money to strengthen the o-line and defense.
Guess what, they just fired their GM. The fact that they pulled the trigger midseason, while in the thick of the playoff race, shows just how clearly that game Sunday exposed their issues.

That's spicy. Definitely not a coincidence that it happens 2 days after they got torched by AJ Brown. My guess is Vrabel was in favor of paying AJ while Robinson wasn't. That leaves Robinson responsible for their lack of wide receiver talent, which has cost them big time against top opponents. Mike Vrabel is reigning COTY and has a proven track record of success even with a limited roster (which Robinson is responsible for), so I think they made the right decision even though it's surprising that it happened now.

An interesting read about the Titans' decision to move on from Robinson: https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2022/12/7/23497581/tennessee-titans-fire-gm-jon-robinson-whats-next

Hard not to think there's more to the story about the AJ Brown trade.

I've wondered how sustainable the Titans approach of relying on Ryan Tannehill/Derrick Henry for most of their offense was, especially knowing how running backs seem to have such short shelf lives. Meanwhile, getting torched by a former player and responding by firing the GM afterwards reeks of desperation and disorganization. There must be some logic behind it.
The logic was that Robinson clearly had no plan to build the team into a Super Bowl contender. Ryan Tannehill on a big contract, Treylon Burks, and Robert Woods don't cut it in the passing game. On Sunday, Titans ownership saw a quite similar team across the line of scrimmage that had one thing the Titans didn't: a competent passing game. AJ Brown torching them must have hurt to watch as well.

webny99

I'd even go so far as to say Robinson's plan was to be competitive while rebuilding over the next 2-3 years instead of going all-in to win a Super Bowl. But having AJ Brown on their team right now would've made them a true contender over that span instead.

Also, the two first round draft misses can't be ignored. Isaiah Wilson is among the biggest first round busts of all time.

jlam

12-2-1 last week, my best of the year.

Raiders 28, Rams 16
Jets 22, Bills 31
Browns 23, Bengals 26
Texans 21, Cowboys 38
Vikings 29, Lions 26
Eagles 28, Giants 23
Ravens 22, Steelers 21
Jaguars 19, Titans 24
Chiefs 30, Broncos 14
Buccaneers 23, 49ers 17
Panthers 20, Seahawks 27
Dolphins 33, Chargers
Patriots 26, Chargers 18

Henry

The 3-9 Rams are on pace to have the worst championship defense season in all of sports, as they're doing even worse than the 1999 Broncos, who went 6-10. That's the biggest symptom of going all-in to win. The 1982 49ers went 3-6, but that was a strike year. The 1998-99 Bulls (13-37 in a lockout season), 1998 Marlins (54-108) and 1994-95 Rangers (22-23-3, also in a lockout season) own the worst title defenses in their respective sport. However, the first two have a fire sale to blame, which is also a terrible way to break up a winning team.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

triplemultiplex

Quote from: JayhawkCO on December 07, 2022, 03:43:13 PM
Quote from: webny99 on December 07, 2022, 03:12:44 PM
The 5-7 Lions are actually favored over the 10-2 Vikings. Bizarre at first glance, but they just put up a 40-burger and have arguably been the better team over the last month. They've also put up 30 points 6 times this season vs. just 3 times for the Vikings. And it's a more important game for the Lions as they must win to stay in the playoff race, while the Vikings are going to playoffs regardless. I'm not saying I agree with them being favored, but it is certainly interesting.

I think it's more just based on everyone (including me to a degree) thinking the Vikings aren't nearly as good as their record, so everyone is betting against them every week. That'll skew the line farther away from them just to balance the cash.

I smell shenanigans.  Some degenerate gambling industry people are trying to do something, methinks.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

JayhawkCO

Quote from: triplemultiplex on December 08, 2022, 12:00:16 PM
The 5-7 Lions are actually favored over the 10-2 Vikings. Bizarre at first glance, but they just put up a 40-burger and have arguably been the better team over the last month. They've also put up 30 points 6 times this season vs. just 3 times for the Vikings. And it's a more important game for the Lions as they must win to stay in the playoff race, while the Vikings are going to playoffs regardless. I'm not saying I agree with them being favored, but it is certainly interesting.

I think it's more just based on everyone (including me to a degree) thinking the Vikings aren't nearly as good as their record, so everyone is betting against them every week. That'll skew the line farther away from them just to balance the cash.

I smell shenanigans.  Some degenerate gambling industry people are trying to do something, methinks.

Like what?

thspfc

Quote from: JayhawkCO on December 08, 2022, 12:31:43 PM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on December 08, 2022, 12:00:16 PM

Like what?
Don't even try. Lost cause.

webny99

Quote from: skluth on December 06, 2022, 06:03:07 PM
I guess we'll find out just how good a QB coach McVay really is.

Well, that was interesting. Yet another gag by the Raiders (this is insane), but I guess a point in McVay's favor here? And certainly a nice moment for Baker after a really rough two years.

thspfc

Here we go again 🙄 Baker still isn't good. One drive does not change an entire career. Awful loss for the Raiders, basically knocking them out of contention.

Edit: yeah okay. I didn't see it live, but my suspicions were confirmed after watching the drive. He made one impressive throw (the touchdown to Jefferson). Skowronek made an incredible catch on a prayer into double coverage that would have been picked if the corner turned around. The PI on the interception early in the drive was the correct call, but that pass was so bad it would have been picked anyway. And, the bailout by an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. Again, it was the right call, but it's not like Baker earned it.

thspfc

Would have picked the Raiders like everyone else.

Vikings 30, Lions 24
Steelers 23, Ravens 17
Bengals 31, Browns 19
Bills 34, Jets 17
Cowboys 41, Texans 21
Eagles 28, Giants 10
Titans 24, Jaguars 16
Chiefs 23, Broncos 10
Seahawks 35, Panthers 13
49ers 24, Buccaneers 17
Dolphins 20, Chargers 13
Patriots 19, Cardinals 17

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on December 09, 2022, 07:32:02 AM
Here we go again 🙄 Baker still isn't good. One drive does not change an entire career.

Just in case this was meant for me, this isn't a counter what I said about Baker. Of course he can have a nice moment that isn't career altering.

skluth

This year's Vikings remind me of the 2011 Packers who had a great offense but a defense that could surrender points as much as cause turnovers (at least after Nick Collins injury) though the Vikings offense isn't quite as potent. It's a recipe for disaster though it usually causes a team to self-destruct in the playoffs more than lose an in-season game.

triplemultiplex

Like what?

Probably tweaking the line so they can dupe more rubes into getting addicted to gambling.  First hit is free; next one's gonna cost ya.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on December 09, 2022, 12:26:30 PM
Quote from: thspfc on December 09, 2022, 07:32:02 AM
Here we go again 🙄 Baker still isn't good. One drive does not change an entire career.

Just in case this was meant for me, this isn't a counter what I said about Baker. Of course he can have a nice moment that isn't career altering.
It wasn't, sorry for not making it clear.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: triplemultiplex on December 09, 2022, 02:28:53 PM
Like what?

Probably tweaking the line so they can dupe more rubes into getting addicted to gambling.  First hit is free; next one's gonna cost ya.

I know thspfc told me not to bother... but you literally think the house is willing to take a loss, not only to first timers, but also to sharks, just to get $20 from the soon-to-be second-timers?

epzik8

I'm all but convinced the AFC North will come down to the Bengals and Ravens' week 18 matchup.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

thspfc

It would have been nice for Dallas to wake up before the last five minutes of the 4th quarter, but a characteristic of a good team is being able to win a close game even on a day when they didn't play their best. The recent alternation of excellent performances (Bears, Vikings, Colts) and shaky ones (Lions, Packers, Giants, Texans) makes me question the team's leadership, specifically McCarthy. Great coaches have their team ready to go from the kickoff every week, and that has not been the case. Dak has thrown 7 picks in his last 5 games. All that has to be fixed come the playoffs.

Giants 💀

thspfc

The three teams that positively surprised everyone the most earlier this season (Jets, Giants, Seahawks) are 2-8-1 since week 11. Wins over the 3-10 Bears and 4-9 Rams. Seattle's next two games are the 49ers and Chiefs. Ouch. Then the Jets which could go either way, then the Rams who they had a lot of trouble with last week. The Giants schedule is similarly tough, and I don't 100% trust the Commies either. It almost inclines one to believe in the Lions to make the playoffs, but . . . they're still the Lions.

oscar

Lots of commentary about the 49ers current QB being this year's "Mr. Irrelevant" (last player chosen in the draft). But I heard no mentions that the Bucs' kicker was 2009's "Mr. Irrelevant", making today's game kind of a "battle of the Irrelevants". While I think Ryan Succop is so far the most successful "Mr. Irrelevant" to date, he wasn't terribly relevant today, contributing only 1 point after TD, and missing his only (long 55-yard) FG attempt.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

jeffandnicole

Eagles are in the playoffs.  Because of Dallas, they haven't cliched the Division yet.   

Trying to look ahead, I don't know if they Eagles can clinch the Division or the Conference Bye next week even if they win and Cowboys lose.  They play the Cowboys in Week 16 so that's *the* key game. 

If Eagles win both their next 2 games, they win the Division and Conference. 

Next week's game for the Eagles is almost inconsequential to the playoff race, and the scheduling Gods will assist with this. If Eagles beat Dallas the following week, they win the Division, and the conference if the Vikings don't win their final 4 games.  Vikings play this coming Saturday; Eagles Sunday.  If the Vikings lose Saturday, that sets up a showdown between the Eagles & Cowboys for the top seed.  The Eagles will play to win, because if they lose against Dallas they have a little more work to do, but Week 15 is setting up to be fairly unimportant for the Eagles.  49ers could also win the Conference if they win out and Eagles, Vikings and Cowboys both suck over the next few weeks.

We're also back to the "if the season ended today" scenario in which the entire NFC East would be in.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: thspfc on December 11, 2022, 07:47:28 PM
It almost inclines one to believe in the Lions to make the playoffs, but . . . they're still the Lions.

They will likely catch the Jets at a good time next week as QB Mike White suffered broken ribs in today's loss at Buffalo, which likely sets up either Joe Flacco or throwing the keys back to Wilson out of lack of options. Then they go on the road to Carolina, who may still have something to play for and puts together wildly inconsistent performances from week to week, so will depend on which Panthers team they get before closing out against the Bears and Packers. If they can get through the next two weeks 2-0, they might be in decent shape.

Lions have beaten both the Giants and Commanders, so that helps them.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

ilpt4u

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on December 11, 2022, 09:07:21 PM
Quote from: thspfc on December 11, 2022, 07:47:28 PM
It almost inclines one to believe in the Lions to make the playoffs, but . . . they're still the Lions.

They will likely catch the Jets at a good time next week as QB Mike White suffered broken ribs in today's loss at Buffalo, which likely sets up either Joe Flacco or throwing the keys back to Wilson out of lack of options. Then they go on the road to Carolina, who may still have something to play for and puts together wildly inconsistent performances from week to week, so will depend on which Panthers team they get before closing out against the Bears and Packers. If they can get through the next two weeks 2-0, they might be in decent shape.

Lions have beaten both the Giants and Commanders, so that helps them.
Unless the Lions play to a Tie in one of their remaining games, the H2H tie-breaker will NOT be in play against the Giants nor the WFT

webny99

The Geno renaissance has been a great story, but Seattle is still an average team -- with what looks like a great rookie draft class -- that's playing with house money because of the Russ trade. Next week's Commanders-Giants rematch is probably the single most important remaining game in the NFC wild card picture. The winner is a near-lock for the playoffs, and the loser will be battling for the final spot along with the Lions and Seahawks.

jgb191

Very tough pill to swallow.... :(

Today makes the sixth (6th) time this season the Texans blew a fourth quarter lead that has to be the NFL record most blown leads in a single season.  I'm suspecting something very fishy going on here....I wonder if the NFL is paying Lovie to sabotage my team like that.  Just painful heartbreaking to watch another choke-job in that final minute.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.