News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thspfc

Quote from: jmacswimmer on January 08, 2023, 07:37:55 PM
Curious how Detroit will play this evening now that they're officially eliminated - would they at least still have motivation to take their division rival down with them?
100% yes. Green Bay has beat up on them for so long. For the Lions it would be about as satisfying as they come in terms of regular season wins. Also, being eliminated relieves some pressure (and negates the usual Lions choking element). They'll be playing more relaxed which is good, but I still have the Packers winning.

webny99

What a bummer that the Rams couldn't finish off the Seahawks, ending a really promising Lions season amidst questionable officiating. :-/

Curious if anyone has any thoughts on whether it's a competitive disadvantage for Seattle to have to play in an earlier window than Detroit/Green Bay? That seems to be the prevailing thought in Seattle, and I tend to agree... it is an awkward situation to rely on a team that's just been rooting against you for three hours to then go out and win to send you to the playoffs knowing you just eliminated them, and now the Packers get to face an opponent that already knows their fate.

If we're to believe Campbell, the Lions are going to be fighting hard regardless, but it's got to be deflating to be eliminated an hour before kickoff. At least they still have a chance to finish with a winning record and eliminate a division rival, but it's still not nearly as exciting as a true elimination game.  And if we're looking ahead to next weekend I'm almost tempted to root for the Packers because Packers/49ers would have so much more intrigue than a third Seahawks/49ers matchup.

NWI_Irish96

SF OVER GB/SEA, NYG OVER MIN, TB OVER DAL
BUF OVER MIA, CIN OVER BAL, SD OVER JAX

PHI OVER NYG, SF OVER TB
KC OVER SD, BUF OVER CIN

SF OVER PHI, BUF OVER KC

SF OVER BUF
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on January 08, 2023, 08:59:33 PM
If we're to believe Campbell, the Lions are going to be fighting hard regardless, but it's got to be deflating to be eliminated an hour before kickoff. At least they still have a chance to finish with a winning record and eliminate a division rival, but it's still not nearly as exciting as a true elimination game.  And if we're looking ahead to next weekend I'm almost tempted to root for the Packers because Packers/49ers would have so much more intrigue than a third Seahawks/49ers matchup.
I'm rooting for Rodgers/49ers Playoffs V because the meltdown from the losing fanbase would be hilarious no matter which one it is.

webny99

Quote from: webny99 on January 08, 2023, 04:40:29 PM
Quote from: webny99 on August 02, 2022, 02:03:39 PM
Steelers  ❌
Browns  ❌
Jets  ❌
Patriots  ❌
Texans  ❌
Titans  ❌

6/6 on my AFC preseason forks. Never a doubt!! 🔒

I was 6/7 on playoff teams overall. Jaguars were my only incorrect fork, but cashing in on the Titans when they had a 97% chance to win the division after Thanksgiving more than makes up for that.

Now for the NFC...

Falcons  ❌
Giants  ✔️
Commanders  ❌
Seahawks  ✔️
Lions  ❌
Bears  ❌

Just 4 of 6 correct in the NFC, 10 of 12 overall.
+200 points for 10 correct and -60 points for 2 incorrect = 140 points
Now add in the following teams forked in-season...

Panthers (+15)
Packers (+13)
Broncos (+13)
Raiders (+13)
---------------
Buccaneers (-30)
Jaguars (-30)

So a net -6 there for a final total of 134 points if my math is correct.

Max Rockatansky

As a Lions fan I would have definitely taken 9-8 and knocking the Packers out of the playoffs at the beginning of the year.  It is hard to be disappointed with the improvements this year, especially with the draft pick prospects coming up. 

webny99

Woww... great end to the season for the Lions but it's too bad they won't be in the playoffs. Lions/49ers would have been a great Wild Card matchup. The Seahawks getting in is a great redemption story and probably clinches CPOTY for Geno.

jgb191

Dear Nick Caserio,

Go find Demeco Ryans; he's out there somewhere, and get him (after he win Super Bowl LVII for the Niners).  Bring back Demeco Ryans to Houston where he belongs!  Offer him the Head Coach job, and pay him his asking price however much he desires.  Thank you Nick!

Sincerely,
Signed: Texans fans all over the state of Texas
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on January 08, 2023, 11:39:02 PM
Quote from: webny99 on January 08, 2023, 04:40:29 PM
Steelers  ❌
Browns  ❌
Jets  ❌
Patriots  ❌
Texans  ❌
Titans  ❌

6/6 on my AFC preseason forks. Never a doubt!! 🔒

I was 6/7 on playoff teams overall. Jaguars were my only incorrect fork, but cashing in on the Titans when they had a 97% chance to win the division after Thanksgiving more than makes up for that.

Now for the NFC...

Falcons  ❌
Giants  ✔️
Commanders  ❌
Seahawks  ✔️
Lions  ❌
Bears  ❌

Just 4 of 6 correct in the NFC, 10 of 12 overall.
+200 points for 10 correct and -60 points for 2 incorrect = 140 points
Now add in the following teams forked in-season...

Panthers (+15)
Packers (+13)
Broncos (+13)
Raiders (+13)
---------------
Buccaneers (-30)
Jaguars (-30)

So a net -6 there for a final total of 134 points if my math is correct.
The way we've been doing it the whole time is that the 30s are subtracted after everything, including points for incorrect forks (i.e. your 13 points for the Bucs), is added up. So you'd have 320-120 = 200.

The final table is:

1. NWI_Irish96, 204 points
2. webny99, 200 points
3. thspfc, 195 points
4. jayhawkco, 194 points
5. jlam, 162 points
6. hobsini2, 160 points
7. Henry, 90 points
8. CoreySamson, 40 points

formulanone

Good news: Dolphins made the playoffs!

Bad news: 99% of the country will be rooting against them...

thspfc

2) 49ers defeat 7) Seahawks
5) Chargers defeat 4) Jaguars
2) Bills defeat 7) Dolphins
3) Vikings defeat 6) Giants
3) Bengals defeat 6) Ravens
5) Cowboys defeat 4) Buccaneers

1) Chiefs defeat 5) Chargers
3) Bengals defeat 2) Bills
5) Cowboys defeat 1) Eagles
2) 49ers defeat 3) Vikings

1) Chiefs defeat 3) Bengals
2) 49ers defeat 5) Cowboys

1) Chiefs defeat 2) 49ers

NWI_Irish96

It took 2 years, but we finally got a .500 team in a 17 game schedule, with the Commanders finishing 8-8-1.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on January 09, 2023, 06:37:24 AM
The way we've been doing it the whole time is that the 30s are subtracted after everything, including points for incorrect forks (i.e. your 13 points for the Bucs), is added up. So you'd have 320-120 = 200.

OK, I wondered if I was off based on your previous table, but I hadn't thought of that. That's fine with me, although it may make me even more aggressive if we play again (i.e. I would have gained 7 free points by just forking one of my in-season forks in the preseason, which would have been enough to win. Obviously it's not quite that simple since I may not have picked one of those teams, but it does heavily favor locking up the maximum points value).

webny99

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on January 09, 2023, 08:27:28 AM
It took 2 years, but we finally got a .500 team in a 17 game schedule, with the Commanders finishing 8-8-1.

How times have changed! Just two years ago, an 8-8 record would have been enough to win the NFC East with room to spare as Washington won it at 7-9. Now this year, 8-8-1 was good for 4th place with the entire division finishing at or above .500.

Meanwhile, an 8-8-1 record would have been enough to win the NFC South this year.

Quote from: thspfc on January 08, 2023, 09:16:15 PM
Quote from: webny99 on January 08, 2023, 08:59:33 PM
I'm rooting for Rodgers/49ers Playoffs V because the meltdown from the losing fanbase would be hilarious no matter which one it is.

The NFL agrees, showing no respect for the Seahawks by putting them in the early Saturday window. Makes sense, as they are clearly the worst playoff team (pending the status of Tua and Lamar).

jeffandnicole

Surprised it happened this quick.  8 and 8 in a 16 game schedule didn't happen every year.

webny99

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 09, 2023, 09:28:41 AM

Surprised it happened this quick.  8 and 8 in a 16 game schedule didn't happen every year.

Pretty much every year. This got me curious so I just checked back to 2000 and every year but one had at least one 8-8 team and most years had multiple 8-8 teams.

The exception that proves the rule was the 2018 season, which had both an 8-7-1 team and a 7-8-1 team, four 7-9 teams, and two 9-7 teams.

jakeroot

Quote from: formulanone on January 09, 2023, 06:55:55 AM

Maybe, maybe not. Dolphins are the underdogs in the game, I suspect they will attract a fair amount of supporters on that basis alone, including other AFC East fans who don't like the Bills.

formulanone

Quote from: jakeroot on January 09, 2023, 06:34:09 PM

Maybe, maybe not. Dolphins are the underdogs in the game, I suspect they will attract a fair amount of supporters on that basis alone, including other AFC East fans who don't like the Bills.

That, and I suppose most Chiefs fans will be rooting for an upset.

Henry

That was a fun season finale, and congrats to the Lions for taking down the Packers and allowing the Seahawks to take the final playoff spot in the NFC. So all three NFC North fanbases outside of Minnesota will be watching at home this year.

It's going to be interesting to see what the Bears do with the Number 1 pick.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

webny99

Opponent aside, it's always good to see teams snap playoff droughts. The Dolphins were definitely due, after two straight years of missing out despite posting a winning record.

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on January 09, 2023, 08:58:18 PM

Opponent aside, it's always good to see teams snap playoff droughts. The Dolphins were definitely due, after two straight years of missing out despite posting a winning record.
And of course they made it after losing 5 of 6 to end the season, and missed last year after winning 8 of 9.  :confused: On top of that, 10-6 in 2020 was their best record of the three years.

The Chiefs, Bills, Steelers, and Dolphins are the only teams to have a winning record in each year of the decade so far. It feels like the latter two don't belong in that group, but there they are and you can't argue with it.

thspfc

Relating to the above, the Steelers are 19-21-1 since they started 11-0 in 2020, but still managed a winning record in each individual season.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: thspfc on January 09, 2023, 10:03:52 PM
Relating to the above, the Steelers are 19-21-1 since they started 11-0 in 2020, but still managed a winning record in each individual season.

Tomlin IMO deserves coach of the year for getting 9-8.  The Steelers are total trash and somehow he got the absolute most out of them.

ET21

Thank you Lions for knocking out GB

And thank you Lovie Smith for knowing your true allegiances and giving the Bears the #1 pick  :-D :spin:
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on January 09, 2023, 09:58:43 PM
Quote from: webny99 on January 09, 2023, 08:58:18 PM
And of course they made it after losing 5 of 6 to end the season, and missed last year after winning 8 of 9.  :confused: On top of that, 10-6 in 2020 was their best record of the three years.

And yet, I don't think there's any question that this team is the best of the three by far if Tua is healthy (obviously a massive caveat). The highs are way higher, and they've been competitive even despite their QB issues.

Quote from: thspfc on January 09, 2023, 09:58:43 PM
The Chiefs, Bills, Steelers, and Dolphins are the only teams to have a winning record in each year of the decade so far. It feels like the latter two don't belong in that group, but there they are and you can't argue with it.

Interesting that there are no NFC teams in that group. Both the Bucs and Packers would have been on the list with a victory last week.

Another fun fact: 26 of 32 teams have made the playoffs in the past three seasons. The only teams with a playoff drought dating to the 2010's are the Jets, Broncos, Texans, Lions, Panthers, and Falcons.  If you're looking at winning records, the list is the same except the Lions are off the list (9-8 this year) and the Bears and Commanders are on the list as they made the playoffs in 2020 without a winning record.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.