News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amroad17

Once a football game is over, it is over--no matter if there were bad officiating calls involved.  Teams can complain to the media about it, however, it will not change the outcome.  It's not like the NBA, where if one team lodges a protest and it is upheld, the game re-starts from the point of the protest.  The NFL has no such protest protocol system.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: amroad17 on January 29, 2023, 11:42:18 PM
Once a football game is over, it is over--no matter if there were bad officiating calls involved.  Teams can complain to the media about it, however, it will not change the outcome.  It's not like the NBA, where if one team lodges a protest and it is upheld, the game re-starts from the point of the protest.  The NFL has no such protest protocol system.
I don't think that the NBA has ever done that before.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

jgb191

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 29, 2023, 06:12:24 PM
Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on January 29, 2023, 06:11:37 PM
Quote from: jgb191 on January 29, 2023, 01:25:29 AM
My prediction for this year's Super Bowl will a revenge of Super Bowl LIV -- Niners will avenge their last Super Bowl appearance and beat the Chiefs in Super Bowl LVII.

The Eagles beat the 49ers in a score of 31-7! I was expecting a close game between the two teams...

What other result could there have been when suddenly you have no QB?

Nailed it!  When you have Jalen Hurts vs a fourth (4th) string QB, it doesn't take a pro-sports analyst to figure out why the Eagles won.  Speaking of.....has it ever happened before?  A fourth (4th) string QB playing a playoff game?  I know from personal experience that a third (3rd) string QB has.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

amroad17

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 30, 2023, 12:16:39 AM
Yes, there have been 35 protests in NBA-ABA history.  8 games have been overturned and were replayed from the point of the protest (6 NBA games and 2 ABA games).   The last two NBA protested games were played in 2008 and 1983.  Two of the games resulted in the protest team winning the replayed games after losing the original game.  One can find this on NBA Hoops Online.  There is also a more detailed explanation of each instance on Reddit.  I googled "NBA protested games".
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

NWI_Irish96

I don't think the games were rigged, or even that the refs were deliberately biased, but those were two of the worst-officiated playoff games I can remember. They need to be better.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

jeffandnicole

Quote from: amroad17 on January 30, 2023, 12:49:40 AM
Yes, there have been 35 protests in NBA-ABA history.  8 games have been overturned and were replayed from the point of the protest (6 NBA games and 2 ABA games).   The last two NBA protested games were played in 2008 and 1983.  Two of the games resulted in the protest team winning the replayed games after losing the original game.  One can find this on NBA Hoops Online.  There is also a more detailed explanation of each instance on Reddit.  I googled "NBA protested games".

So I didn't know this either, but this also in a way disproves that officiating is getting worse.  If anything, these protested games from 15 & 40 years ago, the most recent, show that officiating was worse in the past.

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on January 30, 2023, 07:16:33 AM
I don't think the games were rigged, or even that the refs were deliberately biased, but those were two of the worst-officiated playoff games I can remember. They need to be better.

This has been said about nearly every game this year.  Yet, we've had games in the past which lead to rule changes.  I don't see that happening with what happened in the playoffs here.  A ball ruled a catch that may have not been fully controlled?   We have seen that for decades.   A late hit out of bounds?   The players know the QBs will be protected.  Intentional grounding?  Many people have no clue what the definition of it is, although it's a bit subjective as to who "is in the area."

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 30, 2023, 07:48:40 AM
Quote from: amroad17 on January 30, 2023, 12:49:40 AM

So I didn't know this either, but this also in a way disproves that officiating is getting worse.  If anything, these protested games from 15 & 40 years ago, the most recent, show that officiating was worse in the past.

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on January 30, 2023, 07:16:33 AM

This has been said about nearly every game this year.  Yet, we've had games in the past which lead to rule changes.  I don't see that happening with what happened in the playoffs here.  A ball ruled a catch that may have not been fully controlled?   We have seen that for decades.   A late hit out of bounds?   The players know the QBs will be protected.  Intentional grounding?  Many people have no clue what the definition of it is, although it's a bit subjective as to who "is in the area."

As always, I will say the same thing.  This was not the worst officiated game in the history of the NFL, nor was it the best.  It was pretty average.  Intentional grounding, he through it at the feet of an ineligible receiver, you will get called for that all the time.  Late hit out of bounds; if you push the face of the NFL when he is standing on the white and he hits the bench, it doesn't matter how soft or hard you touch him, you will get that flag every single time.  You can argue whether or not they were ticky tack calls, but the league is consistent with those rules.  There were several defensive holding calls in both games that were spot on.

I can't stand hearing people say "they (the officials) need to be better" or "they need to be accountable".  There is no group of humans on a field that's more accountable.  The players make mistakes, throw interceptions, fumble the ball and they just go back in and play the next down.  When the officials make a mistake they are downgraded and about five different league officials and the supervisor of officials all replay that play ad nauseum to the point of exhaustion.  The players have one reporter bring up their interception and they act like a baby and don't answer the question.  The officials can't do that.  They have to take the berating and asked why they are stupid enough to call what they called, and some mistakes cause loss of games or termination.  The players and coaches can act like complete animals on the field when something slightly doesn't go their way and everything is fine, but the official has to remain emotionless and stoic even though you know they want to punch the daylights out of the coach or player yelling at them.   Then the coach or player come back and say, "I was just emotional", like the guy they were yelling at that actually remained calm doesn't have emotions, but he is grown up enough to keep his emotions in check. 

In conclusion, officials have to be accountable of every mistake they make, have to show zero emotion (like laugh or smile because God forbid it can be misconstrued that it looks like they are happy one team is winning, and the other team is losing) run all game (because remember, offensive players get to sit on the bench and jack around when their team is on defense, do the officials get that?), keep up with players half or 3/4 their age, make split second decisions using their rules knowledge and experience, know that every mistake will be extra scrutinized (and for some for the rest of their lives) while the players and coaches can make mistakes right and left and no craps are given (or they just blame it on the officials) and in the end always keep their cool and defuse the situation when things go awry but yet "they have to do better"?  Seems like the way these punks act, they don't deserve the level of officiating they get. 

epzik8

I tend to pay more attention to the yardage lost as a result of penalties, rather than any implications they have on the game.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

wanderer2575

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on January 30, 2023, 09:07:03 AM
In conclusion, officials have to be accountable of every mistake they make, have to show zero emotion (like laugh or smile because God forbid it can be misconstrued that it looks like they are happy one team is winning, and the other team is losing) run all game (because remember, offensive players get to sit on the bench and jack around when their team is on defense, do the officials get that?), keep up with players half or 3/4 their age, make split second decisions using their rules knowledge and experience, know that every mistake will be extra scrutinized (and for some for the rest of their lives) while the players and coaches can make mistakes right and left and no craps are given (or they just blame it on the officials) and in the end always keep their cool and defuse the situation when things go awry but yet "they have to do better"?  Seems like the way these punks act, they don't deserve the level of officiating they get.

Well said!

Also:  Players/coaches/fans having no problem when the same "injustice" is imposed on the opposing team.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: wanderer2575 on January 30, 2023, 10:39:33 AM

Well said!

Also:  Players/coaches/fans having no problem when the same "injustice" is imposed on the opposing team.

Yes, another part of my sermon: your receiver can't make a catch because there was contact by the defensive back but no flag thrown "What are you looking at ref?  Thats the worst call ever!"  Later in the game, your corner does the exact same thing and again, there is no flag, "that's a good no call."

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on January 30, 2023, 10:59:20 AM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on January 30, 2023, 10:39:33 AM

Well said!

Yes, another part of my sermon: your receiver can't make a catch because there was contact by the defensive back but no flag thrown "What are you looking at ref?  Thats the worst call ever!"  Later in the game, your corner does the exact same thing and again, there is no flag, "that's a good no call."

Echoing wanderer... well said.

I'll add: 

"There's too many calls & They're wussifying (and other terms) the game. Let them play"

Then in their next breath...

"The refs are horrible!  Didn't they see that penalty?  Why didn't they call it?  These games are rigged!"

thspfc

I didn't catch the second half of the game, and it was tough to find clips of these #NFLRigged calls (hmm, almost as if not posting the clip denies people the chance to form their own opinion . . . ), but from what I have seen, there was not a single missed/bad call that was not extremely subjective. The intentional grounding on Burrow was much more of an intentional grounding than the one Mahomes was not called for. The "late hit"  on Burrow was not nearly as obvious as the one on Mahomes. The Chiefs' 5th down is ridiculously overblown because the play was going to be stopped regardless of the outcome. If you think a first down or touchdown on that play would've stood, you're crazy. And Joe Thomas, who might know a thing or two about holding, said today that there was no holding on the Mahomes run.

Of course, it doesn't matter because apparently whenever the Chiefs win it's always because of the refs no matter what.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: thspfc on January 30, 2023, 05:22:46 PM
Of course, it doesn't matter because apparently whenever the Chiefs win it's always because of the refs no matter what.

The Chiefs are getting into that Belichick/Brady Patriots territory that people are just sick of seeing them win, so it's always someone else's fault that they're winning.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

jeffandnicole

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on January 30, 2023, 05:45:09 PM

The Chiefs are getting into that Belichick/Brady Patriots territory that people are just sick of seeing them win, so it's always someone else's fault that they're winning.

Andy Reid has always been a very good coach, especially during the regular season and early in the playoffs.  It was the Championship game and Superbowl where he always had issues, until recently. 

At least KC isn't experiencing the cheating scandals that minorly tainted the Pat's wins.

Henry

So it'll be Andy Reid's former team vs. his current team...and also, one of the Kelce brothers will win his second ring after all is said and done. These two storylines will figure to be major ones in the two weeks leading up to the game itself.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Ted$8roadFan

Definitely an interesting game coming up, with Andy Reid facing his old team, the Kelce brothers facing each other, and two passionate fan bases clashing. Another big storyline is the impact of Mahomes's ankle injury and Hurts's shoulder.

jgb191

YES!!  We got him....again!   :clap:

https://www.nfl.com/news/texans-hire-49ers-dc-demeco-ryans-as-their-next-head-coach

Welcome back home to Houston DeMeco Ryans!  Hopefully this will re-energize the team.  As a linebacker playing for my Texans, he was the leader, the team captain, the heart/soul of the roster. 

In other coaching news, Miami hired Nick Fangio as their new DC, Sean Payton is the new HC of Denver, and Frank Reich is going to Charlotte to coach the Carolina Panthers. 
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

jakeroot

Quote from: jgb191 on January 31, 2023, 06:07:10 PM
Miami hired Nick Fangio as their new DC

*Vic. As much as I wish it was official, it is not.

Scott5114

My mom is a longtime Chiefs fan, so I'm pleased they're going to the Super Bowl.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Ted$8roadFan

WillWeaverRVA

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

ethanhopkin14

I didn't catch the second half of the game, and it was tough to find clips of these #NFLRigged calls (hmm, almost as if not posting the clip denies people the chance to form their own opinion . . . ), but from what I have seen, there was not a single missed/bad call that was not extremely subjective. The intentional grounding on Burrow was much more of an intentional grounding than the one Mahomes was not called for. The "late hit"  on Burrow was not nearly as obvious as the one on Mahomes. The Chiefs' 5th down is ridiculously overblown because the play was going to be stopped regardless of the outcome. If you think a first down or touchdown on that play would've stood, you're crazy. And Joe Thomas, who might know a thing or two about holding, said today that there was no holding on the Mahomes run.

The 3rd down play that was shut down that everyone was thinking was a do-over; while the play was ending, the Line Judge or Down Judge (I can't remember what half the game was in when the play happened, so I don't remember if they were in first half or second half mechanics) was running in to Ron Torbert killing the clock.  I thought there was a penalty on the play watching it live (like a pre-snap penalty false start or illegal shift reverting to a false start).  So, to all the people saying they gave the Chiefs a do-over just because, no, they legitimately were killing the play, just no one knew they were killing it until the play was almost over. 

Henry

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on February 01, 2023, 08:39:50 AM
Tom Brady retires again, for good.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/02/01/tom-brady-announces-his-retirement-for-good/amp/

Just caught the news on ESPN...

If anything, at least he played to age 45, which is what his goal was anyway. And chances are, we'll never see another QB of Brady's caliber. Remind me not to watch Fox next season if he's in the booth, since I've grown tired of him as the years go by.

(That Manningcast is beginning to look good now...)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

ethanhopkin14

jmacswimmer

Quote from: Henry on February 01, 2023, 10:07:15 AM
Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on February 01, 2023, 08:39:50 AM
Tom Brady retires again, for good.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/02/01/tom-brady-announces-his-retirement-for-good/amp/

Just caught the news on ESPN...

If anything, at least he played to age 45, which is what his goal was anyway. And chances are, we'll never see another QB of Brady's caliber. Remind me not to watch Fox next season if he's in the booth, since I've grown tired of him as the years go by.

Well, FOX sure has an interesting conundrum on their hands now. They already promised the #1 analyst role to Brady when they handed him that thick contract, but Greg Olsen has, by most accounts, done a nice job along with Kevin Burkhardt this year taking over as the FOX A-team from Buck/Aikman. (It seems like the general internet consensus in recent weeks is that Olsen was much preferred over Romo on playoff coverage, who seems to have lost his touch and is grunting and "I DON'T KNOW JIMMM"ing his way thru games now.) Even if Olsen gets sent back to the B-team again next year, at least he gets to call a Superbowl first with FOX having their turn in the rotation this year.

Editted to add: With a surprising amount of the Twitter reaction this morning focusing on what this means for Olsen, I saw one tweet suggesting a hypothetical of Olsen moving to NBC and serving as Collinsworth's heir apparent in the same way that Tirico did for Michaels for several years until finally taking over this past season.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.