News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Quote from: JayhawkCO on March 20, 2023, 05:43:52 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 20, 2023, 03:34:06 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on March 20, 2023, 01:43:25 PM
I think if teams are eager to move on from "Franchise QBs" a la Carson Wentz, Russell Wilson, Matt Ryan, etc., then that should tell you something. Voluntarily getting rid of experience at the most important position in all of sports is only done if for a reason.
Carson Wentz hasn't been even close to a Franchise QB for a few years now.

But Philly let him go when he still was.

He sure wasn't in 2020. He was historically bad that season.

thspfc

Quote from: JayhawkCO on March 20, 2023, 05:43:52 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 20, 2023, 03:34:06 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on March 20, 2023, 01:43:25 PM
I think if teams are eager to move on from "Franchise QBs" a la Carson Wentz, Russell Wilson, Matt Ryan, etc., then that should tell you something. Voluntarily getting rid of experience at the most important position in all of sports is only done if for a reason.
Carson Wentz hasn't been even close to a Franchise QB for a few years now.

But Philly let him go when he still was.
I agree to an extent, because I think the general perception of when his career took the critical blow is wrong. Most people cite the ACL tear, but it was really the loss to Jacksonville in 2021. He was quite good in all of 2019, 2018 when he was healthy, and most games in 2021. Had Indy won that game, they'd have entered the playoffs as the 6 seed, having won 9 of their last 12, facing a Buffalo team that they blew out earlier in the season. Even if they lost in the wild card, it's tough to get rid of a QB that was at least competent (27 TDs/7 INTs) en route to a 10-7 record and a playoff berth. But instead, he was the guy that couldn't make the playoffs with one of the most talented rosters in the league (they led the league in pro bowlers and all-pros).

Basically, if they won that game I think Wentz would still have been a Colt last season. Whether he would still be a Colt in 2023, who knows, but 2022 for sure.

webny99

Also worth noting that Indy actually blew two games to end the 2021 season. They lost in almost worse fashion to the Raiders the week prior, when Wentz returned (probably too early) from having covid as an unvaccinated player, and they lost at the last second to set up the must-win Jacksonville game, ultimately allowing the Raiders to take their spot in the playoffs. I agree that Wentz would have been a Colt in 2022 if not for those last two games, but the Colts brass clearly didn't like him and the covid situation with their season on the line probably helped seal his fate.

When you consider that the Colts had 98% playoff odds on December 31, 2021, the entire calendar year 2022 couldn't possibly have gone any worse for the franchise.

Roadgeekteen

Roger Goodell has received a multi-year extension, so he's not going anywhere.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 21, 2023, 02:01:03 PM

Being a $20m+ virtual punching bag sounds like good work if you can get it.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on March 21, 2023, 05:17:30 PM

Don't know how much work he actually does. I believe that the job has long hours but it's probably still worth the pay.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

thspfc

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 21, 2023, 09:26:01 PM

Don't know how much work he actually does. I believe that the job has long hours but it's probably still worth the pay.
Tough to find a job that's not worth $20m/year . . .

Ted$8roadFan

I meant in terms of him taking verbal shots on an almost daily basis from just about everyone as the commissioner of America's most popular sport.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on March 22, 2023, 05:14:33 AM

I meant in terms of him taking verbal shots on an almost daily basis from just about everyone as the commissioner of America's most popular sport.
I thinks he's a tiny bit overhated. He could be Manfred.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 22, 2023, 11:26:31 AM
Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on March 22, 2023, 05:14:33 AM

I meant in terms of him taking verbal shots on an almost daily basis from just about everyone as the commissioner of America’s most popular sport.
I thinks he's a tiny bit overhated. He could be Manfred.

Agreed.  I am not a Goodell defender, but he takes a lot of criticism for things he has completely no control over.  Case in point was the pass interference no-call in the Rams v Saints NFC Championship Game.  Everyone blamed him like he was on the field officiating the game, which was another bit of proof that the average uneducated fan has no idea what he/she is talking about. 

webny99

Patriots linebacker Dont'a Hightower, who played a hugely underrated role in three of the Belichick/Brady era Super Bowl wins, has retired from the NFL.

triplemultiplex

Everytime I saw his name, it reminded me of Michael Winslow's character in the Police Academy movies. :-D
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

skluth

Quote from: Dellbeam on March 20, 2023, 03:38:28 PM
Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on March 16, 2023, 06:32:38 AM
Rodgers to the Jets in 2023 is becoming as weird, if not more, than Favre to the Jets in 2008.

Yeah, it feels strange that Green Bay is letting them take Aaron Rodgers. As if getting a 39-year-old QB that's probably past his prime would help them get into the playoffs.

Most Packers fans I know (including me) don't really want Rodgers back. He's taken the team as far as he can and he's not getting any younger. He's also as disenchanted with the front office as Favre was at the end. They should have traded Rodgers a couple years ago after his third MVP season when his value was at its peak but the coaching staff did a crap job of getting Love ready for the NFL. The pandemic is no excuse; Jalen Hurts, Joe Burrow, Tua Tagovailoa, and Justin Herbert were all drafted the same year. Not getting Love up to speed quicker is either pure incompetence on the staff and front office or Love is just not a capable NFL QB. I'm not expecting him to be another Favre or Rodgers, but I'd at least expect Matt Hasselbeck-level competence. I have a feeling this year will be a wash but if Love looks bad and the team wins five or less games, I think the entire staff will (or at least should) be jettisoned.

webny99

I'd be shocked if the Packers won five games or less this season. Winning 39 regular-season games in three years wasn't just about Aaron Rodgers - it was about a good roster and very good coaching staff. Even if Love is mediocre, they'll probably be a .500 fringe wild card team in a weak NFC. Being terrible just doesn't seem to be in the bones of the organization.

Roadgeekteen

Wondering what's taking so long to announce the Rodgers news.

Big John

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 23, 2023, 08:41:20 PM
Both teams are at an impasse to wha compensation to give.  Odd due the usual practice of agreeing to terms of a trade before a team is given permission to talk trade to a player on the other team.

thspfc

Quote from: Big John on March 23, 2023, 08:48:14 PM
Both teams are at an impasse to wha compensation to give.  Odd due the usual practice of agreeing to terms of a trade before a team is given permission to talk trade to a player on the other team.
Mark Murphy massively screwed up by saying that they'd prefer to not have Rodgers back - at a high school girls basketball game, no less. He said they'd welcome him back "if things don't work out they way we want them to."  Which decreases Green Bay's bargaining power, and therefore the compensation they will get. Sometimes I wonder if the higher-ups in Green Bay realize that they're running a professional sports franchise, not a local restaurant. Having an owner would probably help.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on March 23, 2023, 09:43:45 PM
Mark Murphy massively screwed up by saying that they'd prefer to not have Rodgers back - at a high school girls basketball game, no less. He said they'd welcome him back "if things don't work out they way we want them to."  Which decreases Green Bay's bargaining power, and therefore the compensation they will get. Sometimes I wonder if the higher-ups in Green Bay realize that they're running a professional sports franchise, not a local restaurant. Having an owner would probably help.

But the irony is that Green Bay still has a lot of leverage. The Jets basically have to get a deal done for Rodgers since they're stuck without a QB if they don't, and they have much more incentive to get it done quickly while Green Bay has no reason to be concerned about the time frame.

tchafe1978

Quote from: webny99 on March 24, 2023, 09:35:27 AM

But the irony is that Green Bay still has a lot of leverage. The Jets basically have to get a deal done for Rodgers since they're stuck without a QB if they don't, and they have much more incentive to get it done quickly while Green Bay has no reason to be concerned about the time frame.

The Packers can also lessen their cap hit if they wait until after June 1st to trade him. The can trade him anywhere from June 1st to the start of week 1 of the season. So there is some incentive for the Packers to wait. The only thing is they also probably reduced what they'll get in return by waiting and only negotiating with one other team. They could've gotten another team involved to increase the competition and get other teams into a bidding war. But Rodgers called the shots there by saying he wanted to go to the Jets and took other teams out of the equation.

thspfc

Quote from: tchafe1978 on March 25, 2023, 12:08:07 PM
Quote from: webny99 on March 24, 2023, 09:35:27 AM

The Packers can also lessen their cap hit if they wait until after June 1st to trade him. The can trade him anywhere from June 1st to the start of week 1 of the season. So there is some incentive for the Packers to wait. The only thing is they also probably reduced what they'll get in return by waiting and only negotiating with one other team. They could've gotten another team involved to increase the competition and get other teams into a bidding war. But Rodgers called the shots there by saying he wanted to go to the Jets and took other teams out of the equation.
Also, if they don't do it by draft day, they won't get any 2023 picks in return. They'd rather have extra 2023 picks than extra 2024 picks because it's important to have a competent roster around Love (o-line and receivers in particular) so that they can properly evaluate him this season.

triplemultiplex

Sometimes I wonder if the higher-ups in Green Bay realize that they're running a professional sports franchise, not a local restaurant. Having an owner would probably help.

Yeah because having a billionaire own the team will insulate it from generations of terrible decisions. :rolleyes:  :eyebrow: :meh:
That's worked so well in Detroit, Houston, Chicago, Cleveland, Washington, or any other bastion of mediocrity from the last quarter century.

The Packers got the lack of ownership thing right.  One less ego to stroke in an ecosystem that attracts the self-important like flies to corpse.

thspfc

Quote from: triplemultiplex on March 25, 2023, 02:50:01 PM
Sometimes I wonder if the higher-ups in Green Bay realize that they're running a professional sports franchise, not a local restaurant. Having an owner would probably help.

Yeah because having a billionaire own the team will insulate it from generations of terrible decisions. :rolleyes:  :eyebrow: :meh:
That's worked so well in Detroit, Houston, Chicago, Cleveland, Washington, or any other bastion of mediocrity from the last quarter century.

The Packers got the lack of ownership thing right.  One less ego to stroke in an ecosystem that attracts the self-important like flies to corpse.
1) I never said that an owner is better for every situation, 2) it's ignorant to pin the blame for the failures of the teams you listed all on the owners, and 3) it's ignorant to attribute the successes of the Packers to the lack of an owner, and assume that they wouldn't be as strong as a franchise if they had an owner.

triplemultiplex

You said an owner would help.  I dispute that, citing many examples of poorly-owned NFL franchises.

thspfc

Quote from: triplemultiplex on March 26, 2023, 01:19:13 PM
You said an owner would help.  I dispute that, citing many examples of poorly-owned NFL franchises.
So you're at least partially blaming the failures of those franchises on their owners.

Surely the opposite logic applies when it comes to successful teams, right? Can I just list the last 10 Super Bowl winners as evidence? Must have been the owners, right? Explain to me why it's different with successful teams.

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: thspfc on March 26, 2023, 01:40:42 PM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on March 26, 2023, 01:19:13 PM
So you're at least partially blaming the failures of those franchises on their owners.

Surely the opposite logic applies when it comes to successful teams, right? Can I just list the last 10 Super Bowl winners as evidence? Must have been the owners, right? Explain to me why it's different with successful teams.

If owners are going to hog the spotlight and take the credit when their teams do well (as is their right), then they should accept (or privately acknowledge) the blame when their teams to poorly. Of course, a lot of reasons why teams win or lose.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.