News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

epzik8

Ravens' preseason win streak ends at 24 on a field goal by Washington's Joey Slye with 14 seconds remaining.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

webny99

Quote from: epzik8 on August 22, 2023, 09:22:44 AM
Ravens' preseason win streak ends at 24 on a field goal by Washington's Joey Slye with 14 seconds remaining.

It's unlikely that streak will ever be matched. It would take a full 8 seasons of preseason games at 3 per year which is pretty incredible when you think about it. That being said, I was glad Washington got to end the streak. It was a fun moment and exciting ending which made for one of the more memorable preseason games in recent history, and possible a sign of better times ahead for the Washington franchise.

JayhawkCO

AFC East:
1. Bills 12-5
2. Jets 10-7

3. Dolphins 8-9
4. Patriots 7-10

AFC North:
1. Ravens 13-4
2. Bengals 12-5

3. Steelers 9-8
4. Browns 5-12

AFC South:
1. Jaguars 11-6
2. Titans 7-10
3. Texans 6-11
4. Colts 4-13

AFC West:
1. Chiefs 13-4
2. Chargers 11-6

3. Broncos 8-9
4. Raiders 5-12

2. Ravens over 7. Jets
6. Chargers over 3. Bills
5. Bengals over 4. Jaguars

1. Chiefs over 6. Chargers
2. Ravens over 5. Bengals

1. Chiefs over 2. Ravens

NFC East:
1. Eagles 14-3
2. Cowboys 11-6

3. Giants 9-8
4. Commanders 7-10

NFC North:
1. Vikings 11-6
2. Bears 10-7

3. Lions 9-8
4. Packers 4-13

NFC South:
1. Saints 10-7
2. Falcons 7-10
3. Panthers 5-12
4. Buccaneers 4-13

NFC West:
1. 49ers 12-5
2. Seahawks 10-7

3. Rams 5-12
4. Cardinals 3-14

2. 49ers over 7. Bears
3. Vikings over 6. Seahawks
5. Cowboys over 4. Saints

1. Eagles over 5. Cowboys
2. 49ers over 3. Vikings

1. Eagles over 2. 49ers

Chiefs over Eagles.

MVP: Patrick Mahomes
Offensive Rookie of the Year: Bijan Robinson
Defensive Rookie of the Year: Will Anderson, Jr.
Offensive Player of the Year: Christian McCaffrey
Defensive Player of the Year: Micah Parsons
Coach of the Year: Matt Eberflus

Coaches that aren't with their teams next year - Sean McVay (retiring), Todd Bowles. I think it's a light year for firings as so many got fired last year. Some of the teams that are down this year are particularly "sticky" with their coaches - Packers, Titans, etc.

webny99

I'd be... weirdly more surprised if the Eagles returned to the Super Bowl than the Chiefs? Their conference is easier, but they didn't get better this off-season, and it's rare in recent history for NFC teams to repeat, never mind the NFC East which seemingly never has a repeat champion.

jlam

Here are my projected records:

NFC North:
Vikings (12-5)
Lions (10-7)
Packers (6-11)
Bears (5-12)

NFC East:
Eagles (13-4)
Cowboys (11-6)
Giants (9-8)
Commanders (8-9)

NFC South:
Saints (10-7)
Falcons (8-9)
Panthers (5-12)
Buccaneers (4-13)

NFC West:
49ers (13-4)
Seahawks (8-9)
Rams (7-10)
Cardinals (3-14)

AFC North:
Bengals (13-4)
Ravens (11-6)
Steelers (7-10)
Browns (5-12)

AFC East:
Bills (12-5)
Jets (10-7)
Dolphins (8-9)
Patriots (7-10)

AFC South:
Jaguars (12-5)
Titans (7-10)
Texans (6-11)
Colts (4-13)

AFC West:
Chiefs (14-3)
Chargers (10-7)
Broncos (9-8)
Raiders (5-12)

I'll take things further into depth after week 3 of preseason.

jgb191

Johnathon Taylor is up for sale.  If Jacksonville can get him and pair him up with Trevor Lawrence before the season begins, (assuming the Jaguars can keep him for several years and Taylor improves his performance) it wouldn't surprise me if Jacksonville can make it as far as the AFC Championship Game (if not their first ever Super Bowl) during their years together....maybe not this season but next season (Playoffs 2025).  I do have the Jaguars winning our division with double-digit wins and at least repeat Wild-Card game winners this year.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

JayhawkCO

I don't think the Jags are only a slight RB upgrade away from being Super Bowl contenders. I think there are teams that are just much better all around. (And I like the Jags.)

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on August 22, 2023, 06:06:02 PM
I'd be... weirdly more surprised if the Eagles returned to the Super Bowl than the Chiefs? Their conference is easier, but they didn't get better this off-season, and it's rare in recent history for NFC teams to repeat, never mind the NFC East which seemingly never has a repeat champion.
They also had very few injuries, a fairly light regular season schedule, and an absolute cakewalk of a playoff run. The Giants were probably the worst team to make the divisional since the 2014 Panthers (the only other candidate being the 2017 Titans). And the 49ers essentially played the second half without a quarterback.

That's not to say that they weren't an elite team. I honestly don't know what the competition is going to look like in the NFC. Is Purdy for real? If so, the Niners are probably the best team. Dallas has been consistent the last two years, both in regular season success and postseason reality checks. I feel like from a neutral perspective the Cowboys are a tempting Super Bowl pick but at this point I won't believe it until I see it.

So anyway, I have the Eagles as favorites in the NFC simply because nobody else has proven themselves. The only previous teams to make the NFC title game whose rosters are even remotely recognizable today are last year's Eagles and the 49ers 3 of the last 4 years, but again, the Niners have question marks at QB.

Dough4872

The 49ers have traded Trey Lance to the Cowboys for a 4th round pick in 2024. Wow didn't see this coming.

Henry

Rumors are flying around that the Commanders might revert to Redskins, if Josh Harris has his way. FWIW, the Cleveland Guardians were a much better transition. However, we still have the Braves, Chiefs and Blackhawks, so the Native American naming convention is not completely dead.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Ted$8roadFan

The New England Patriots finished the preseason with a thud against the Tennessee Titans, losing 7-23. Good thing the game doesn't count.

mgk920

Quote from: Henry on August 25, 2023, 10:28:41 PM
Rumors are flying around that the Commanders might revert to Redskins, if Josh Harris has his way. FWIW, the Cleveland Guardians were a much better transition. However, we still have the Braves, Chiefs and Blackhawks, so the Native American naming convention is not completely dead.

Many of the aboriginal themed names are quite honorable, and even the honored tribes have said so (ie, the Florida State Seminoles).  One of my biggest turnoffs in life is rampant and uncontrolled political correctness and wokeness.

Mike

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: mgk920 on August 26, 2023, 01:03:50 PM

Many of the aboriginal themed names are quite honorable, and even the honored tribes have said so (ie, the Florida State Seminoles).  One of my biggest turnoffs in life is rampant and uncontrolled political correctness and wokeness.

Mike

White people openly declaring these names to be acceptable is precisely why many people have a problem with them.

From the Native perspective (which I am not) many white people point to some Natives being OK with these names as justification. Someone put it well several years ago that it's likely Natives who have largely assimilated are generally OK while those more actively connected to their culture are not.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

JayhawkCO

Quote from: mgk920 on August 26, 2023, 01:03:50 PM

Mike

But I hardly think you can put "Redskins" in the same camp as "honorable".

jgb191

My Texans just started the season 0-1 before Week One.  How is that so you ask?  By telling the Ravens who our starting QB is going to be.  Now the Ravens can study CJ Stroud very well and be well prepared for him in the first game of the season.  The Ravens were already heavily favored to beat my Texans as it was, now the QB announcement sealed the win for them.

wanderer2575

Quote from: jgb191 on August 29, 2023, 11:29:13 AM
My Texans just started the season 0-1 before Week One.  How is that so you ask?  By telling the Ravens who our starting QB is going to be.  Now the Ravens can study CJ Stroud very well and be well prepared for him in the first game of the season.  The Ravens were already heavily favored to beat my Texans as it was, now the QB announcement sealed the win for them.

Maybe it's a Commander Buck Murdock tactic:  "That's exactly what they'll be expecting us to do!"

jgb191

Quote from: wanderer2575 on August 29, 2023, 12:04:57 PM

Maybe it's a Commander Buck Murdock tactic:  "That's exactly what they'll be expecting us to do!"

I'll wish you could be right.  The Texans could change things up during the game, but our offense doesn't have too many play options at this time.  My Texans need more upgrades on offense.  In the meantime, our defense, while strong, is in for a very long season this fall.

webny99

I don't think it was much of a secret, surely the Ravens knew that Stroud would be starting regardless of if/when it was formally announced. And they have to announce a starting QB at some point anyways, otherwise there will be needless media questioning until they do.

jgb191

Quote from: webny99 on August 29, 2023, 10:55:27 PM

I don't think it was much of a secret, surely the Ravens knew that Stroud would be starting regardless of if/when it was formally announced. And they have to announce a starting QB at some point anyways, otherwise there will be needless media questioning until they do.

Many from our fanbase was recommending Davis Mills for the first few month or two of the season, then slowly transition to CJ later on as the season progresses.  At least Davis's performance is so erratic at times it's kind of hard to study his tendencies; he was among the interception leaders last year with a few flashes of greatness mixed into it. 

Remember that last year the Texans had twelve 4th Quarter ties or leads last year and only won three of those games....one of those games was against the eventual Super Bowl Champions Chiefs.  So it's not like Davis was a bust, he just needed to learn to finish the 4th quarter better.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jgb191 on August 30, 2023, 10:03:05 AM
Quote from: webny99 on August 29, 2023, 10:55:27 PM

Many from our fanbase was recommending Davis Mills for the first few month or two of the season, then slowly transition to CJ later on as the season progresses.  At least Davis's performance is so erratic at times it's kind of hard to study his tendencies; he was among the interception leaders last year with a few flashes of greatness mixed into it. 

Remember that last year the Texans had twelve 4th Quarter ties or leads last year and only won three of those games....one of those games was against the eventual Super Bowl Champions Chiefs.  So it's not like Davis was a bust, he just needed to learn to finish the 4th quarter better.

Unless he's throwing interceptions, shouldn't it be up to the Defense to finish the 4th quarter better, especially if the Texans had the lead?

TheHighwayMan3561

In my view Texans didn't draft Stroud #2 overall to ride the bench. The days of a veteran seat warmer for a high draft pick are over.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

tchafe1978

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 31, 2023, 12:50:27 AM
In my view Texans didn't draft Stroud #2 overall to ride the bench. The days of a veteran seat warmer for a high draft pick are over.

Unless you're the Packers and you trade up the draft Jordan Love only to have him sit behind Aaron Rodgers for three years. But the succession plan worked to have Rodgers sit behing Brett Favre for three years, so hopefully Love has similar success.

The Ghostbuster

I hope Love has a good season as the Packers starting quarterback. I'd sure hate for him to turn out to be a bust.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 31, 2023, 03:42:06 PM
I hope Love has a good season as the Packers starting quarterback. I'd sure hate for him to turn out to be a bust.

As a Vikings fan, my feelings could not be more opposite. :)

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: JayhawkCO on August 31, 2023, 03:55:38 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 31, 2023, 03:42:06 PM

As a Vikings fan, my feelings could not be more opposite. :)

Same goes for Bears and Lions fans.  Love so far shows me that he's the Second Coming of Dak Prescott, not Brett Favre or Aaron Rodgers. 
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.