News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Route Numbering Coincidences

Started by Dirt Roads, January 22, 2023, 09:53:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirt Roads

The 2004 rerouting of US-33 across the Ravenswood Bridge from Ohio into West Virginia has an unusual coincidence.  The route from Ravenswood -to- I-77 became a multiplex with WV-2, which replaced WV-56 on that segment after Gov. Rockefeller promised a four-lane road from Ravenswood -to- Parkersburg (and delivered on the promise by widening the two-mile segment of truncated WV-56.  But WV-56 was renumbered from WV-33 due to that same number being used closeby as part of the U.S. Highway System (along with the then State Road Commission having a rule against duplicate numbers).  It is total coincidence that this segment of US-33 was once-upon-a-time WV-33.

There have been several other threads on specific types of coincidences, but I couldn't find one like this.  I'm certainly open to a discussion of all sorts of numbering coincidences and oddities.

TheHighwayMan3561

In part of Minnesota and all of Wisconsin, their original state routes 12 were replaced by US 12.

MN 317 has no relation to its connecting North Dakota route, ND 17.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Bruce

WA 9 and BC 9 are unrelated routes that are about 25 miles apart from eachother.

WA 31 and BC 31 occupy the same general slice of north-south territory despite the numbering systems not lining up elsewhere.

BC used to number their highways based on corresponding numbers in the U.S., but then Washington changed their numbering scheme. As a result, most state routes change to a different number at the border, so these are coincidences.

Flint1979

In Michigan US-16 replaced M-16. US-16 has since been replaced by I-96.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Bruce on January 23, 2023, 03:27:45 PM
WA 9 and BC 9 are unrelated routes that are about 25 miles apart from eachother.

WA 31 and BC 31 occupy the same general slice of north-south territory despite the numbering systems not lining up elsewhere.

BC used to number their highways based on corresponding numbers in the U.S., but then Washington changed their numbering scheme. As a result, most state routes change to a different number at the border, so these are coincidences.

Cool.  These two are closely related to this thread:  https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=27458.msg2525189#msg2525189

Max Rockatansky

AZ 95 south of Quartzsite became part of US 95.  I never found evidence in the AASHTO database that AZ was trying to establish a routing for US 95 before it was officially extended.

flan

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on January 23, 2023, 02:29:29 PM
MN 317 has no relation to its connecting North Dakota route, ND 17.

Wait really? I'd just assumed they chose legislative route no. 317 specifically for that connection.

kurumi

Main Street in East Hartford, CT near the Pratt & Whitney plant was originally part of New England Interstate Route 17; then later on was part of (unrelated) state route 17. In between, the designation was, at various times, CT 2, CT 2/15, and CT 2/17.

This stretch of road is now unposted, but state-maintained, SR 517. (CT loves to "rhyme" when a designation is changed, so the 17 -> 517 is likely more deliberate than coincidental.)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

hbelkins

Before US 460 was commissioned in Kentucky, KY 40 ran west from Paintsville through Salyersville, West Liberty, Frenchburg, Mt. Sterling, Paris, and Georgetown, before meeting up with US 60 to continue on to Louisville. When US 460 was commissioned, KY 40 was truncated to Paintsville. When the new alignment of US 460 between Paintsville and Salyersville opened in the mid-1970s, Kentucky could have extended KY 30 east along the route to Paintsville. It instead brought back the KY 40 designation for the old segment from Paintsville through Oil Springs to Salyersville.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NWI_Irish96

Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Max Rockatansky

When the California Sign State Routes were plotted during 1934, CA 6 was selected for the Olympic Boulevard corridor in the Los Angeles Area.  CA 6 was eliminated during 1937 to make way for US 6 being extended to Long Beach. US 6 would have touched CA 6 in downtown Los Angeles had both numbers remained.  CA 6 was renumbered to the second iteration of CA 26.  This likely set the precedent to avoid Sign Route duplications which became such a big deal later on with the 1964 Renumbering and I-238.  I does make one wonder what would have happened if US 6 went the Bay Area via Tioga Pass instead of Long Beach?  Both proposals were submitted at the same time to AASHO.

MATraveler128

MA/NH 28 was once New England Route 28.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

Rothman

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on January 23, 2023, 08:28:31 PM
MA/NH 28 was once New England Route 28.
So were a decent number of other routes that don't change across state lines in New England.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Dirt Roads

There's a short 1-mile concurrency of WV-5 and US-33 in Glenville, West Virginia.  Most of the original WV-5 became US-33 in 1937, but the next year the original WV-35 was renumbered to WV-5.  So this section in downtown Glenville was part of WV-5 before and after the renumbering.  (This may have not been coincidental, but it is certainly is an oddity).

mgk920

Well, I-35 and WI 35 are right across the MN/WI state line from each other.

Mike

Flint1979

Another one in Michigan is US-10 replaced M-10 in the beginning, then M-10 replaced US-10 on the Lodge Freeway when US-10 was routed on the Lodge. Historically US-10 ran on Woodward Avenue which is where M-10 was replaced with US-10.

zachary_amaryllis

US 6  is 6th Ave, for a good part of Denver.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Henry

MO 66, KS 66, OK 66, AZ 66 and CA 66 are all former alignments of US 66.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Max Rockatansky

Legislative Route Number 189 was renumbered to California State Route 189 as part of the 1964 State Highway Renumbering.

Mapmikey

Quote from: Dirt Roads on January 23, 2023, 08:48:01 PM
There's a short 1-mile concurrency of WV-5 and US-33 in Glenville, West Virginia.  Most of the original WV-5 became US-33 in 1937, but the next year the original WV-35 was renumbered to WV-5.  So this section in downtown Glenville was part of WV-5 before and after the renumbering.  (This may have not been coincidental, but it is certainly is an oddity).

South Carolina has one of these...

The SC 8-81 overlay northeast of Anderson.

SC 81 was the first routing of US 29.  Prior to 1927, US 29 was the original SC 8.  The current SC 8 was not a state highway.  In 1928, SC 8 was dropped from US 29 and a new SC 8 was christened which included its current overlay of the original SC 8.

Max Rockatansky

What had been planned as AZ 89 between Flagstaff and Prescott was renumbered to the the iteration of AZ 79.  This quickly became US Route 89A after the highway through Oak Creek Canyon was completed and is now AZ 89A. 

When the Arizona State Routes were being planned there was no US 66 as it was still US 60.  That being the case AZ 66 was planned to follow the Apache Trail.  US 60 ultimately became US 66 in the final version of the US Route System.  This spurred the state to change AZ 66 to AZ 88. 

Max Rockatansky

As the Sign State Routes were being plotted in California during 1934 there was a CA 95 and a CA 195.  Both routes before the end of the decade would become part of the US Route 95 family of highways.  CA 95 would become part of US 395 and CA 195 became part of US 95. 

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Takumi on January 26, 2023, 08:53:35 PM
VA 13 used to be VA 13.

Having relatives there, I understood this completely.  Except that US-60 was only one year old when it bypassed Powhatan and Tobaccoville and VA-13 was restored over the old segment in 1934.  Back in those days, all the locals still called it "Root There-teen".   

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 26, 2023, 08:42:59 PM
What had been planned as AZ 89 between Flagstaff and Prescott was renumbered to the the iteration of AZ 79.  This quickly became US Route 89A after the highway through Oak Creek Canyon was completed and is now AZ 89A. 

I should have remembered this one.  That's one that I've driven over a large segment.  Plus, Jerome is pronounced like Durham.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.