News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Northern Virginia HOT Lanes

Started by mtantillo, August 14, 2012, 11:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapmikey

They could close the south of 610 entrance since there will be direct access to the lanes from SR 630.

1995hoo

Quote from: Mapmikey on May 02, 2023, 04:21:44 PM
They could close the south of 610 entrance since there will be direct access to the lanes from SR 630.

I note there are flyover slip ramps under construction just south of the Marine Corps base exit (Exit 148) that will provide a southbound entrance to, and northbound exit from, the express lanes. Given that, I can see no reason why those ramps should not be the dividing point between two toll segments. It certainly makes eminent sense that people entering near Fredericksburg and using the new 10-mile extension should pay a higher toll than people who enter somewhere on the existing facility.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Mapmikey

They are ramping up the study of I-495 southside express lanes.  See pdf pg. 102 here - https://www.ctb.virginia.gov/resources/2023/june/ctb_workshop_meeting_june_20_2023.pdf

The preferred alternative decision is expected spring 2024.

interestingly, they give an opening date for the Fredericksburg extension as August 2023.  They definitely have sped up paving the lanes recently.

Jmiles32

Quote from: Mapmikey on June 18, 2023, 09:36:28 AM
They are ramping up the study of I-495 southside express lanes.  See pdf pg. 102 here - https://www.ctb.virginia.gov/resources/2023/june/ctb_workshop_meeting_june_20_2023.pdf

interestingly, they give an opening date for the Fredericksburg extension as August 2023.  They definitely have sped up paving the lanes recently.

Very interested to see what the preferred alternatives are for both this project and the I-95 bidirectional HO/T lanes study. I did find it curious that VDOT does not plan to remove/relocate the concrete barrier separating the Local and Thru lanes on the Wilson Bridge. If that's the case then it would appear that there is only room for one HO/T lane in each direction over the bridge (no way a potential transit line would also fit). Regardless this is assuming of course that Maryland even allows that and based off of their recent history with HO/T lanes, I am extremely skeptical this extension will not just also end at the Potomac River.
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Jmiles32 on June 18, 2023, 07:11:50 PM

Very interested to see what the preferred alternatives are for both this project and the I-95 bidirectional HO/T lanes study. I did find it curious that VDOT does not plan to remove/relocate the concrete barrier separating the Local and Thru lanes on the Wilson Bridge. If that's the case then it would appear that there is only room for one HO/T lane in each direction over the bridge (no way a potential transit line would also fit). Regardless this is assuming of course that Maryland even allows that and based off of their recent history with HO/T lanes, I am extremely skeptical this extension will not just also end at the Potomac River.

I'm not sure that barrier can be moved without some extensive reconstuction of the bridge, if that's even possible.  There's considerable lighting and firefighting standpipe utilities within that wall.  Drainage inlets are located against the wall for the inner lanes.  And at the drawbridge itself, there's actually two walls, which indicates there may be different bridge sections that are lifted here.

https://goo.gl/maps/7n5FoEDPNoo5xv75A

BTW, take note to the markers for the MD/DC state line on both the near wall and center barrier wall.

Jmiles32

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 18, 2023, 07:44:39 PM
Quote from: Jmiles32 on June 18, 2023, 07:11:50 PM

I'm not sure that barrier can be moved without some extensive reconstuction of the bridge, if that's even possible.  There's considerable lighting and firefighting standpipe utilities within that wall.  Drainage inlets are located against the wall for the inner lanes.  And at the drawbridge itself, there's actually two walls, which indicates there may be different bridge sections that are lifted here.

Gotcha. Yeah I guess it just seems to me that between not widening the bridge, not relocating concrete barriers, and not precluding future transit, something would have to give in order to make this HO/T lanes extension into Maryland possible.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 18, 2023, 07:44:39 PM
https://goo.gl/maps/7n5FoEDPNoo5xv75A

BTW, take note to the markers for the MD/DC state line on both the near wall and center barrier wall.

Neat!

bluecountry

They need to extend the Fedex to exit 126, with a new exit to/from RT 17 south instead of having motorists headed on 17 south going onto Rt 1 S then having to do a left turn.

From the end of the extra lanes at Rt 3 this is a bottleneck, volume drops much more beyond.

Jmiles32

Quote from: bluecountry on June 26, 2023, 01:04:24 PM

They need to extend the Fedex to exit 126, with a new exit to/from RT 17 south instead of having motorists headed on 17 south going onto Rt 1 S then having to do a left turn.

From the end of the extra lanes at Rt 3 this is a bottleneck, volume drops much more beyond.

Not gonna happen. Best case scenario, the next time corridor funding is available, I-95 gets an extra lane from Exit 130 to Exit 126 in both directions which should help. Next on my priority list would be new interchange at Harrison Road (MM 128) which would help alleviate VA-3 west of I-95, another area of frequent congestion. Should be a golden opportunity for that soon when the existing Harrison Road bridge over I-95 needs to be replaced.   

bluecountry

Quote from: Jmiles32 on June 26, 2023, 08:34:06 PM

Not gonna happen. Best case scenario, the next time corridor funding is available, I-95 gets an extra lane from Exit 130 to Exit 126 in both directions which should help. Next on my priority list would be new interchange at Harrison Road (MM 128) which would help alleviate VA-3 west of I-95, another area of frequent congestion. Should be a golden opportunity for that soon when the existing Harrison Road bridge over I-95 needs to be replaced.
What is not going to happen?
Extending the local/thru to exit 126 or finally giving US17 south a real exit?

Jmiles32

Quote from: bluecountry on July 03, 2023, 08:12:18 PM

Both, unless an exorbitant amount of new funding is identified. Trust me I'd like to see these projects done too, its just clear to me that there's too many other transportation priorities right now, both around the state and on I-95 elsewhere.

bluecountry

Quote from: Jmiles32 on July 05, 2023, 11:03:37 PM
Quote from: bluecountry on July 03, 2023, 08:12:18 PM

Both, unless an exorbitant amount of new funding is identified. Trust me I'd like to see these projects done too, its just clear to me that there's too many other transportation priorities right now, both around the state and on I-95 elsewhere.
Spotsy as far as VDOT is concerned is Central VA.

1995hoo

Press release today says the 10-mile I-95 HO/T lane extension will open in August and that additional ramps will open sometime this coming winter:

https://expresslanes.com/95extension

plain

Nice!! Can't happen soon enough
Newark born, Richmond bred

1995hoo

I've wondered whether that northbound slip ramp back to the mainline just to the south of the exit for the Marine Corps base will result in the addition of another tolling segment for northbound traffic. Guess we'll find out this winter. It would seem logical because that location is approximately 14 miles north of the lanes' new terminus near Route 17, but the volume of traffic using that slip ramp may not merit it (it would hardly be a surprise to learn that it's mostly traffic heading to the base except on days when an incident snarls the mainline).

1995hoo

jeffandnicole

One of the replies to the above:  "Will you be able to access exits 133 or 136?"

Kinda missing the point about "Express" there buddy.  Adding too many exits dilutes its ability to be Express.

That said, did I hear there is one crossover in the works?

1995hoo

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 04, 2023, 11:56:55 AM
One of the replies to the above:  "Will you be able to access exits 133 or 136?"

Kinda missing the point about "Express" there buddy.  Adding too many exits dilutes its ability to be Express.

Yes, there are flyover ramps that will open later this year a short distance to the south of the exit signed as "Marine Corps Base Quantico" (Exit 148). You can see signs of construction on the Google Maps satellite view–the northbound exit will be roughly alongside where it says "Coffee Bar 1010" and the southbound entrance will be roughly alongside where it says "Bennys Used Tires." You can get a better view of both of them under construction by clicking into Street View. As I noted above, I've wondered whether this may lead to new northbound tolling segments whereby the portion south of that spot is the first segment and then the portion from that spot north to the slip ramp back to the mainline near the Prince William Parkway becomes the second segment. (Wouldn't work southbound as there is no exit back to the mainline.)

As for access to Exit 133, yes, there will be access southbound (see the map above where it refers to access to Route 17, which is accessed via Exit 133–there's to be a flyover exit allowing for that movement); at a later date this fall or winter, traffic entering from Exit 133 will have a flyover entrance to the northbound express lanes, but it won't be available when the lanes open later this month.

Mapmikey

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 04, 2023, 11:56:55 AM

There will be no access to exit 136. SB you will have to use the current ending ramp from the toll lanes and use 7 miles of mainline 95 - the BGS is already installed there for SR 8900. NB you have to stay on the mainline.

Exit 133 is where the toll express lanes begin/end and the free express lanes to below exit 130 begin/end. There will be full access to/from exit 133 from the toll express lanes and from the local lanes of 95. There will be no access from the free express lanes.

Mapmikey

Express lanes to Fredericksburg will open August 17

https://www.washingtonpost.com/transportation/2023/08/03/virginia-95-express-lanes-fredericksburg/

My work schedule coming up will delay my first trip on them to Aug 28.

sprjus4

Next needs to be the bi-directional lanes... I would've had the option recently to bypass congestion both ways on I-95 recently going into Northern Virginia with the Express Lanes & having HOV, but both times they were pointed the opposite direction.

I understand the 1970s history of the reversible busway and such, but an effort should have been made in the 1990s and early 2000s to construct dual carriageways, along with designing the southern extensions beyond Woodbridge to accommodate a future second roadway - if not outright building it.

The section north of Woodbridge will be tricky, but elevated or depressed lanes can get the job done. They've proven successful in other areas of the country. It will be a costly project but Transurban & private funding can get it done just as it has the other Express Lanes projects. It is sorely needed.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Mapmikey on August 06, 2023, 08:59:01 PM
Express lanes to Fredericksburg will open August 17

https://www.washingtonpost.com/transportation/2023/08/03/virginia-95-express-lanes-fredericksburg/

My work schedule coming up will delay my first trip on them to Aug 28.

I am thinking about doing them on August 18th going to my parents' house.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

The Ghostbuster

Is it possible or likely that the HOT Lanes may eventually extend all the way to Richmond?

sprjus4

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 07, 2023, 12:07:33 PM
Is it possible or likely that the HOT Lanes may eventually extend all the way to Richmond?
I doubt it. Any improvements south of the local-thru 12 lane setup being built through Fredericksburg would be general purpose widening to 8 lanes, which ultimately needs to extend to I-295.

North of Fredericksburg, they need to construct bi-directional HO/T lanes (barrier separated, 2 in each direction, not some half-ass shoulder lane setup they're implementing in Norfolk) up to I-495 and ultimately extend the 8 lanes south of the Occoquan River towards Fredericksburg in phases.

Mapmikey

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 07, 2023, 12:07:33 PM

Not likely.  There are not that many people commuting to DC from Richmond.  Setting up something with the existing Amtrak corridor could work if a small but growing number of people started doing this commute.

An extension of the local-express lanes from Exit 130 to Exit 126 is much more likely.  While civilization is starting to creep towards Thornburg, it may be a while before extending then to Exit 118 would make sense.  8-laning 95 with GP lanes might also be sufficient.

Mapmikey

I can confirm the extended Express lanes will have a speed limit of 70 (signs are up); if this will be extended along existing lanes to Dale City or wherever, they have not changed the 65 mph signs.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.